Injury Report: Klefbom could be out long-term.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Strange that with the Oilers season being over for 6 weeks already, that he is still "weighing options". Maybe its a situation where they are hoping the problem fixes itself with some time off, rather than going the surgery route?

Weighing options 6-7 weeks after elimination when they already had 4 months of information before the resumption. He and the team have been aware of this possibility since March 12 or earlier. Fortunately, it's still likely another 12+ weeks before the league starts up again, so just get it over with.

Reactions: Vagabond and Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So wait, Klefdumb (sorry, needs to be said) is "weighing options" on whether to have surgery at a time where the pandemic pretty much closed down the game and wherein he will have played 4 games in the span of what could be almost a year. jebus h christ, if ever there was a time to get in an operating room and get the surgery done...

This guy man, so frustrating.

The Oilers have been out now for months, why are we hearing this now? Why is he first thinking about this now? Or why is he still "weighing this" now.

Seems to me the time to think long and hard about this passed 2mths ago.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Strange that with the Oilers season being over for 6 weeks already, that he is still "weighing options". Maybe its a situation where they are hoping the problem fixes itself with some time off, rather than going the surgery route?

Agree. Very strange that a decision would not have been made already.

Also big facepalm, Klefbom just can't stay healthy. I don't even understand how he gets these injuries. He plays physical but not in an aggressive way that should give him injury problems. But I guess once you've had some bad injuries in the past they tend to resurface pretty frequently. His shoulders seem to be crap.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This throws a huge wrench into the team's off season. If he has the surgery you have to replace him but you also know you have $4.2M in LTIR to work with in order to give you time to deal with cap issues. But if he waits on it you cannot take advantage of off season opportunities because of uncertainty. Beauty!

Reactions: Vagabond

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This is why I keep nurse and trade Klef if it comes down to it. Klef isn’t going to age well.

Health wise I agree . Price wise I don’t . Now we don’t know the Final numbers on Nurse but it is obvious it is higher then his current cap hit which he isn’t worth .

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So wait, Klefdumb (sorry, needs to be said) is "weighing options" on whether to have surgery at a time where the pandemic pretty much closed down the game and wherein he will have played 4 games in the span of what could be almost a year. jebus h christ, if ever there was a time to get in an operating room and get the surgery done...

This guy man, so frustrating.

The Oilers have been out now for months, why are we hearing this now? Why is he first thinking about this now? Or why is he still "weighing this" now.

Seems to me the time to think long and hard about this passed 2mths ago.

Perfect timing, since the NHL could also be out long-term. Should've had surgery as soon as the Chicago series was over.

I mostly agree but depends who’s there. If Jarvis, Quinn, Askarov are all gone I’d trade down and grab a good 2nd.

Klefbom always struck me as a gym rat so I don't think he is "lazy", but he may be stubborn/impatient and is just not wanting to do the proper rehabilitation required.

He had one of his best most healthy seasons. Just an educated guess but I would think he should just spend the offseason in rehabilitation. Especially if it's his often injured shoulder. Proper rest and rehabilitation is typically the best route and he has the time to do it the right way.

I'm imagining it's his shoulder and he wants it to be like it was preinjury. That most likely is not in the cards at this point and as long as he can play like he did this year that's OK.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Crap I guess my Klefbom and Gambardella for DeBrusk and Bjork just went down in flames

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Kinda disappointed he didn’t get it dealt with already seeing as how we’ve been out since the play ins.

As we saw with the Mcdavid doc though, these things aren’t as black and white as we’re lead to believe as fans.

I still prefer klefbom over Nurse if I had to choose, but I don’t think there’s any way we go into next season with a good D core if we’re moving Nurse and don’t have klef, and unless they manage to rebuild his shoulder to be in breakable (assuming it’s the same issue), I don’t see how we can realistically trade any top 4 Dman.

wouldn’t surprise me if this hamstrings us on any potential move for a Dman, and instead we sign a short term bottom 6 Dman to fill in the gaps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad