Injury Report: Klefbom could be out long-term.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Poor guy. His shot has simply not been the same in recent years, now we know why. I wish him the best going forward but we need to plan ahead without him in the event that he's done or will never be the same.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So it’s God-damned arthritis. I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy and I feel really bad for Klefbom. This certainly makes all the issues about surgery or no surgery make sense, as does the talk about retirement.

From an Oilers point of view, we are back to the drawing board. It should be assumed Klefbom will never play meaningful minutes for us again. He certainly may, but our plans should now assume it’s unlikely. LH shot D is fortunately an area with some depth, but it pushes back our competitive window until Broberg and maybe Samorukov can play solid full time.

Shit.

In hindsight, the Broberg over forwards pick suddenly makes a tonne more sense.

This may help us protect Jones from Seattle as protecting Klefbom may not be necessary

I'm not a doctor but I knew a Nurse who had early onset of arthritis and she said nothing could be done for it. She was hoping there would be a cure by the time it got really bad and said there was promising research on certain drugs. Don't think she ever said surgery was even a possibility.

Seems strange that he is considering surgery if it arthritis. Depending on severity and treatment you would think he has a couple good years left without going under the knife.

The Broberg does make more sense if Holland knew this but I doubt he did that early.

Not to be cruel but if things go bad for him it hurts the Oilers asset management and the only way to recoup some of that would be leaving him exposed in the lottery.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I'm not a doctor but I knew a Nurse who had early onset of arthritis and she said nothing could be done for it. She was hoping there would be a cure by the time it got really bad and said there was promising research on certain drugs. Don't think she ever said surgery was even a possibility.

Seems strange that he is considering surgery if it arthritis. Depending on severity and treatment you would think he has a couple good years left without going under the knife.

The Broberg does make more sense if Holland knew this but I doubt he did that early.

Not to be cruel but if things go bad for him it hurts the Oilers asset management and the only way to recoup some of that would be leaving him exposed in the lottery.

I'm sure you will find a taker like Ottawa or Arizona who would love to take on that insurance paid contract. The cap hit gets those guys closer to the cap floor while no actual cash comes out of the owners pocket.

Reactions: Aerchon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't blame Klef for doing what he has to do, but as a hockey team you need to do what you have to do as well to protect the organization.

We can't operate in this bizzaro state where we don't know when this guy will be in the lineup or even if he will play at all next year.

How can you build any kind of team this way.
What can they do? There is literally no point in trading him right now as we'd get shit for him. You build your lineup without him and maybe he comes back as a free trade deadline acquisition.

Other than that there isn't a lot they can

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Should of traded this band aid after 2017 run.
It’s ‘should have’, but yeah, totally agree. Never could understand why Klefbom had so much support within this fan base. There isn’t one thing about his game that is impressive, or difficult to replace, other than his ability to play a lot of minutes during brief windows of health.

Reactions: MessierII

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
It’s ‘should have’, but yeah, totally agree. Never could understand why Klefbom had so much support within this fan base. There isn’t one thing about his game that is impressive, or difficult to replace, other than his ability to play a lot of minutes during brief windows of health.
What are you both on?
After that playoff run he was a true #1 on a dream contract. There was no discussion about trading him. To look back and say we should have is dumb because nobody thought that at the time.

Reactions: Aerchon and TB12

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Klefbom history is onging injury,ongoing illness, ongoing infection.

Its not just man hour missed games I'm looking at its how many times, seemingly every season we go through these Klefbom is playing injured stretches. In my recollection there was only one season where he seemed healthy.

Not every body is suited for the rigors of pro sport. I don't think he is, and I had that opinion for a longtime. Apparently this makes myself, and several others wrong for suggesting even years ago that a person taking a long time to suffer from a foot infection may not be the most healthy specimen on the planet.

This guy seems like a walking pile of physical problems.

But its not just bad luck. Some people are gifted with incredible health, vitality, resilience. Klefbom is not that. Nothing wrong with putting that here.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
What are you both on?
After that playoff run he was a true #1 on a dream contract. There was no discussion about trading him. To look back and say we should have is dumb because nobody thought that at the time.
Well clearly several people questioned his worth and always have. should our views only be in relation to 2017?

The trouble for older fans like myself, who have seen what top pairing D look like here, is klefbom isn't one, and never really has been. Yet he's talked up here though the years like he's some kind of stud.

"True #1" c'mon. When was that?

Its not something I've really ever been able to understand and it seems that both Klefbom and Larsson were largely inflated.

Some of us also remembering Klefbom throwing dirt on Hall when the team moved Taylor. An absolutely classless statement. Hall sure didn't deserve those parting comments after everything here.

I don't like Klefbom much as a player, not sure why I would, and I don't know I like the person either. At best what Klefbom said about Hall is dumb. Especially in relation to Klefboms own contributions.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Poor guy. His shot has simply not been the same in recent years, now we know why. I wish him the best going forward but we need to plan ahead without him in the event that he's done or will never be the same.

Seems strange though all round. Why would the team not be working around that a bit more. I mean why are we having Klef out on #1 pp all the time and nuge tossing the biscuit back to him all the time trying to open him up for shots. Seems like some things don't get communicated well within the org or the locker room. We shouldnt be setting up a guy with a shoulder arthritits or injury for a point shot all the time. We had other guys that could be there taking the shots, and be more effective.

Reactions: MessierII

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting

Darnell Nurse too! jebus...lol, its how my brain reacted to your first sentence..really did;)

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
That is awful news and he is so young (27) to contract arthritis. What ever he decides, I wish him the best and hopefully he can play out the rest of his contract.
Maybe they could look into some new science therapy, maybe something with stem cells.
In the end, your health is important and I can understand why he has been hesitant with surgery.
Bless you Klefbom for being a warrior for us while fighting through so much adversity!!

Can certainly understand if he retires at this point, and he probably should look at that just from a quality of life perspective after hockey. I'm someone that had serious knee injuries while young that impact whole life. done the best I can but competitive team sports were completely out at that point. If he doesn't make the right choices now, to just retire, it really probably just gets far worse for him and the rest of his life spent in pain.

So from the person perspective, I could see him doing what is right for him, at least for his body, and preserving health he still has. Pro sports is no place for these kinds of ongoign injuries and if you allow yourself to be part of that we know the NHL uses a lot painkilling substances that are only going to make things get far worse.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Klefbom history is onging injury,ongoing illness, ongoing infection.

Its not just man hour missed games I'm looking at its how many times, seemingly every season we go through these Klefbom is playing injured stretches. In my recollection there was only one season where he seemed healthy.

Not every body is suited for the rigors of pro sport. I don't think he is, and I had that opinion for a longtime. Apparently this makes myself, and several others wrong for suggesting even years ago that a person taking a long time to suffer from a foot infection may not be the most healthy specimen on the planet.

This guy seems like a walking pile of physical problems.

But its not just bad luck. Some people are gifted with incredible health, vitality, resilience. Klefbom is not that. Nothing wrong with putting that here.
The whole arthritis thing would make a lot of sense now. Sounds like that he'd have stretches where the pain was just too much.

Who knows what kind of treatments the guy has been getting to play through the pain. Maybe after the Kesler story(which completely died off rather quickly), maybe he's done taking treatments that could have long term effects. Not suggesting he was taking cancer pills or any other really dangerous treatments, but even less dangerous treatments could have lingering long term effects.

I can also see why he is now taking his time with this. Once he makes a decision the team will have to make one too. Klefbom at 4mil to play 50-60 games a year, or just move on from the guy completely.

Sadly this is also a guy that does his best to stay in pretty good shape. Must be pretty draining mentally to know you take care of your body as well as he does, but his body just has other plans.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The whole arthritis thing would make a lot of sense now. Sounds like that he'd have stretches where the pain was just too much.

Who knows what kind of treatments the guy has been getting to play through the pain. Maybe after the Kesler story(which completely died off rather quickly), maybe he's done taking treatments that could have long term effects. Not suggesting he was taking cancer pills or any other really dangerous treatments, but even less dangerous treatments could have lingering long term effects.

I can also see why he is now taking his time with this. Once he makes a decision the team will have to make one too. Klefbom at 4mil to play 50-60 games a year, or just move on from the guy completely.

Sadly this is also a guy that does his best to stay in pretty good shape. Must be pretty draining mentally to know you take care of your body as well as he does, but his body just has other plans.

Really well worded. Thats what I was trying to state.

Reactions: joestevens29

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Well clearly several people questioned his worth and always have. should our views only be in relation to 2017?

The trouble for older fans like myself, who have seen what top pairing D look like here, is klefbom isn't one, and never really has been. Yet he's talked up here though the years like he's some kind of stud.

"True #1" c'mon. When was that?

Its not something I've really ever been able to understand and it seems that both Klefbom and Larsson were largely inflated.

Some of us also remembering Klefbom throwing dirt on Hall when the team moved Taylor. An absolutely classless statement. Hall sure didn't deserve those parting comments after everything here.

I don't like Klefbom much as a player, not sure why I would, and I don't know I like the person either. At best what Klefbom said about Hall is dumb. Especially in relation to Klefboms own contributions.
I said he played like a true number one after that run. I don't think he's a true number 1 now but the guy was on fire and solid during that run and from what I remember that year. There was no way we trade him then is all i was saying.

That was tough series, put Sekera out and could have been where Klef shoulder got injured. He's nowhere near this year as he was then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->