Injury Report: Klefbom could be out long-term.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
This throws a huge wrench into the team's off season. If he has the surgery you have to replace him but you also know you have $4.2M in LTIR to work with in order to give you time to deal with cap issues. But if he waits on it you cannot take advantage of off season opportunities because of uncertainty. Beauty!
I think he’ll likely decide within the next few days. He probably tried rehab first but if he’s reconsidering now it must not have gone well. The earlier he gets the surgery done the better for everyone involved.

Reactions: Gregsky99

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
So wait, Klefdumb (sorry, needs to be said) is "weighing options" on whether to have surgery at a time where the pandemic pretty much closed down the game and wherein he will have played 4 games in the span of what could be almost a year. jebus h christ, if ever there was a time to get in an operating room and get the surgery done...

This guy man, so frustrating.

The Oilers have been out now for months, why are we hearing this now? Why is he first thinking about this now? Or why is he still "weighing this" now.

Seems to me the time to think long and hard about this passed 2mths ago.
Probably tried other options first? Usually when you injure something there’s more than one way to go about trying to repair it (as was the case with McDavid last summer). Klefbom has had quite a list of injuries before so it’s understandable that he’s a bit apprehensive of another surgery.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His shot has never really recovered so it wouldn't surprise me if it's a shoulder thing once again. Not good whether we decided to keep or trade him.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Strange that with the Oilers season being over for 6 weeks already, that he is still "weighing options". Maybe its a situation where they are hoping the problem fixes itself with some time off, rather than going the surgery route?
Didn't he do the samething with those Bone Spurs on his shoulder?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Probably tried other options first? Usually when you injure something there’s more than one way to go about trying to repair it (as was the case with McDavid last summer). Klefbom has had quite a list of injuries before so it’s understandable that he’s a bit apprehensive of another surgery.

In fairness we don't have enough information yet but its been close to 2mths. That in itself is a long time frame of evaluating and especially if it is recurring, which is a possibility.

But heres the thing. How many common hockey injuries that are significant where surgery is an option are remedied that well without surgery, for the purposes of playing pro hockey.

I would bank on surgery for a pro athlete in most cases where this is deemed an option.
The bolded I don't agree with at all. Its the price of paying high level sport and getting paid millions to do so.

I'd even wonder, because this has occurred before, if the team is having to convince him to get the surgery and he is reluctant, as you suggest.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think he’ll likely decide within the next few days. He probably tried rehab first but if he’s reconsidering now it must not have gone well. The earlier he gets the surgery done the better for everyone involved.
In all fairness he had from March until August to try other options. If it didn't work then I don't know why he'd think it would work now.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Klef really bums be out with this stuff. His game has already suffered for long periods as he tried to power through injuries avoiding surgery.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In all fairness he had from March until August to try other options. If it didn't work then I don't know why he'd think it would work now.

That's where this is bothering the most. They had a great chance to test drive rehab for four months. If it was still an issue why are they waiting another 2+ months to decide.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Bingo right here. We are hearing this injury developed during the season. Which is a long time ago. What injury that is still persisting 7mths later, to the degree where surgery is indicated, can be remedied with further rehab?

The likelihood here seems to be the "weighing out" has been going on far too long, and the avoidance of surgery far too long. For a pro athlete.

Its incumbent in the profession that you do everything possible to be able to compete at the highest level and earn your pay.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
The playoffs just ended two days ago and were already dealing with a key injury for next season.

This team is f***ing cursed. What a joke .

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Looks at his contract.

"Lets not trade Klefbomb, that contract is such value."

Klefbomb has a long-term injury.

"Trade him and a get someone we can count on to play a full season in."

Up until now I was absolutely for keeping Klefbomb over Nurse, but now I'm ready to move on. Enough already.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
As I roll into my fifties I surprise myself whenever I learn something new technology wise. One of my latest things is making recurrent events for my calendar.

Could we make this post an automatic annual bump?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad