Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
I don't think you are allowed to move future first round picks (not 100% sure). Our last two first rounders were Fantilli (Chicago Steel) and Punnett (Barrie Colts) so can't help you much there. I think Bloom would be your top LW and he has a solid history with Pinelli (Team Canada, Team Ontario). Not sure if Saginaw would be willing to move him though. To get Vuko....I would make trade if I was Saginaw as top D are needed. They still have Perfetti and Suzuki to carry the offensive load.

I would say you could help us out. This is going to a bit long and this is 100% a theory but I believe I have some evidence to support it. The trade would be a 2 part deal because you cannot trade a defected player for another player. The trade would end up being Fantilli and picks for Vuks and the defected picks you received (ie the makeup first plus the other compensation pick you would get). The reason why I think this deal is likely is because before the draft OHL Insider revealed that the Rangers were telling Fantilli to tell other teams in the draft that he would not go there so that he would fall to us at our pick.When he got to our pick and he was still available the Rangers took a very long time to make their selection before we eventually decided on taking Leblanc. Well I think what happened during our pick the Rangers probably discussed a trade with saginaw who picked next. Saginaw also picked pretty damn quick which leads me to believe that there was no discussion on whether or not to take Fantilli. From what our GM has said about Leblanc is that he was top-five on our board, now I know every GM will say that about their player however I think there’s some reason to believe why he fell to us was because of his twin. The twins made it clear to teams before the draft but they would only play in the OHL if they played on the same team if this couldn’t have been achieved they would’ve gone off and played in the NCAA together. So when our GM saw that he could get two top five picks in this past year’s draft why wouldn’t he do this in exchange for a player like Vuks, when we are likely to have a down year this year. I think that the return for Vuks will be a lot less than what the Rangers could’ve gotten if this was normal season however I would be fine with this deal because Fantilli was supposed to go number one overall if he never colluded with the Rangers. I would think that Saginaw I would do this deal for two reasons, One you are getting the best shut down defenceman in the league which would bolster your roster for a cup this year and two you could accelerate your rebuild with the defected first because now you have two first in this year’s draft which theoretically you would get two very good players to rebuild your team around. This is why I think that this deal could be possible and it’s likely to be possible however like I mentioned at the start this is 100% a theory but I believe that with the evidence I have laid out there’s a chance that this could be possible.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I would say you could help us out. This is going to a bit long and this is 100% a theory but I believe I have some evidence to support it. The trade would be a 2 part deal because you cannot trade a defected player for another player. The trade would end up being Fantilli and picks for Vuks and the defected picks you received (ie the makeup first plus the other compensation pick you would get). The reason why I think this deal is likely is because before the draft OHL Insider revealed that the Rangers were telling Fantilli to tell other teams in the draft that he would not go there so that he would fall to us at our pick.When he got to our pick and he was still available the Rangers took a very long time to make their selection before we eventually decided on taking Leblanc. Well I think what happened during our pick the Rangers probably discussed a trade with saginaw who picked next. Saginaw also picked pretty damn quick which leads me to believe that there was no discussion on whether or not to take Fantilli. From what our GM has said about Leblanc is that he was top-five on our board, now I know every GM will say that about their player however I think there’s some reason to believe why he fell to us was because of his twin. The twins made it clear to teams before the draft but they would only play in the OHL if they played on the same team if this couldn’t have been achieved they would’ve gone off and played in the NCAA together. So when our GM saw that he could get two top five picks in this past year’s draft why wouldn’t he do this in exchange for a player like Vuks, when we are likely to have a down year this year. I think that the return for Vuks will be a lot less than what the Rangers could’ve gotten if this was normal season however I would be fine with this deal because Fantilli was supposed to go number one overall if he never colluded with the Rangers. I would think that Saginaw I would do this deal for two reasons, One you are getting the best shut down defenceman in the league which would bolster your roster for a cup this year and two you could accelerate your rebuild with the defected first because now you have two first in this year’s draft which theoretically you would get two very good players to rebuild your team around. This is why I think that this deal could be possible and it’s likely to be possible however like I mentioned at the start this is 100% a theory but I believe that with the evidence I have laid out there’s a chance that this could be possible.

This was the speculation right after the draft. It ran rampant in this thread. The fact that Bob MacKenzie raised it at the time fuelled the fire. Then Covid happened to the 20-21 season.

If I’m Fantilli, I’m not committing to a league anytime soon where I can’t play games. Even next year. What if the province falls back into a spot with the virus this fall like the fall of 2020? Would it put the OHL on the shelf again? You never know.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Further on dealing for Fantilli as a defective player.

The last few defective player transactions had teams moving two or three 2nds along with two or three 3rds. Currently, the Rangers only have available one 2nd and three 3rds that can be moved thanks to the rules governing the trading of distant draft picks.

For a player of Fantilli’s stature, the consensus #1 overall pick, you’re looking at three of each to close the deal.

So, if the point of this whole exercise for Saginaw is to wind up with Vukojevic, we can’t move him elsewhere to get the picks needed to close a Fantilli deal. So the question is, can MM move a player or two off our roster to acquire the two 2nds?

And once that is done and Fantilli is in Ranger blue, Saginaw is going to have to come up with different assets to trade for Vuko. (That’s because of another league rule). So Saginaw is going to have to move assets to bring in those picks.

I believe Saginaw currently has two 2nds and zero 3rds available to trade. Can they move assets to bring in a couple 3rds to complete a deal for Vukojevic which would complete the whole Fantilli/Vukojevic exercise?

All this can be done. But not without a lot of serious work from both sides.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
upload_2021-3-6_15-31-34.png

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Time is running out Lisa MacLeod.
You tried to use Covid to remake OHL hockey into a sissy game and failed. You were rebuked in public by Doug Ford for your underhanded attempt to change the game.
Ontario is the only jurisdiction in the world where top level juniors can't play. What the hell is wrong with you that you can't make this happen when everybody else can?
I suspect your feelings were hurt when your leader so sternly shot down your attempt to sissify hockey. (What next, not keep score so that nobody's feelings get hurt?)
Now you want to take revenge for the public spanking you received. It's not fair to ruin the career aspirations of these young men because your feelings got hurt.
Get off your high horse Ms MacLeod! Find a way to let the OHL play immediately.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
You tried to use Covid to remake OHL hockey into a sissy game and failed. You were rebuked in public by Doug Ford for your underhanded attempt to change the game.
Ontario is the only jurisdiction in the world where top level juniors can't play. What the hell is wrong with you that you can't make this happen when everybody else can?
I suspect your feelings were hurt when your leader so sternly shot down your attempt to sissify hockey. (What next, not keep score so that nobody's feelings get hurt?)
Now you want to take revenge for the public spanking you received. It's not fair to ruin the career aspirations of these young men because your feelings got hurt.

Hey Dougie! Time for a cabinet shuffle!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Just the type of player who may bring us some of the assets needed to do a Fantilli deal - if such a deal is out there.

I like Fishman. But I have no issue moving him and/or another like him for assets if the end game is a Fantilli/Vukojevic two parter that Mein Yak talks about above.

We can’t be 100% sure he’d go. I remember back at the 2019 training camp he took his time deciding if he wanted to give up NCAA eligibility for this. Obviously part of what swayed him this way would be that he’s playing for the Kitchener Rangers. If he goes to Saginaw this season, he’s going to be a draft year player going to a contending team from a retooling team and he’d lose ice time.

Of course a 2 part deal is always possible. And I think with Fantilli and Pinelli, the Rangers would be bound to compete in 2022-23 as well if the likes of Valade, LeBlanc, Motew etc. continue to grow as we hope/expect they can.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Hey Dougie! Time for a cabinet shuffle!
Every team is in a Red or Orange protocol zone except Kingston, Soo and Owen Sound. The Protocols that the Premier has approved don't allow play to happen. The Minister may eventually take the fall but...

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We can’t be 100% sure he’d go. I remember back at the 2019 training camp he took his time deciding if he wanted to give up NCAA eligibility for this. Obviously part of what swayed him this way would be that he’s playing for the Kitchener Rangers. If he goes to Saginaw this season, he’s going to be a draft year player going to a contending team from a retooling team and he’d lose ice time.

Of course a 2 part deal is always possible. And I think with Fantilli and Pinelli, the Rangers would be bound to compete in 2022-23 as well if the likes of Valade, LeBlanc, Motew etc. continue to grow as we hope/expect they can.

We wouldn’t be trading him to Saginaw. We’d be trading him or anyone else to a third team to bring in picks to be included in a Fantilli deal. That third team could be a team he’d agree to move to

The whole Fantilli/Vukojevic exercise is likely a pipe dream anyway. But it isn’t out of the realm of possibility - and gives us something to talk about I guess.

Reactions: GeoBlue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
We wouldn’t be trading him to Saginaw. We’d be trading him or anyone else to a third team to bring in picks to be included in a Fantilli deal. That third team could be a team he’d agree to move to

The whole Fantilli/Vukojevic exercise is likely a pipe dream anyway. But it isn’t out of the realm of possibility - and gives us something to talk about I guess.

I have the sickly feeling that we have already seen Vuk play his last game as a Ranger. :-(

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
MUST HAVE HEARD YOU!!.......looks like the OHL will be starting up and the positive tweet came from her....

Reactions: JoelKRangers
Mar 12, 2009
without trying to be a heretic, I barely see the point in a season at this stage....not that I won't gladly accept it

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
without trying to be a heretic, I barely see the point in a season at this stage....not that I won't gladly accept it

I'd say it's an optics thing at best now. They probably came to the conclusion that not playing at all (while everyone else plays) would hurt the development and future of the league more than the financial burden of playing this season would. This is a draft showcase if anything now.

I'm in the same boat as you however and I'll take anything. The thought of the OHL possibly playing into June and then starting back up regularly in late August/September is very exciting

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Although it may be short, some sort of a season is a must. I feel badly for the kids in the O who are draft eligible this year. They have been put at such a disadvantage.
I feel badly for guys like Arber who were developing so well and came to a full stop. They didn't get to go to Europe to continue their journey.
I feel badly for the kids just entering the league. Their first year of development will be a short one.
And then there's the guys in their final year. That, for many is their year to shine. But it's going to be short one.
A few guys actually benefitted though. Vukojevic and Sebrango got AHL experience that would otherwise have been impossible.
On the whole, and assuming they do come back, Ontario gets an -F on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad