Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
The 15th is a conditional so we really don’t know yet what the trade is if he dresses a game for us.

I would prefer to just to let the kids play and give them lots of ice time. He won’t be here next year as he is an OA.
I Think that it could be something similar to the Campbell deal a couple years ago were as if he played 20 some games we would have had to give up a pick. That’s just my speculation. However its only a 15th so its not like we would lose a whole lot if those conditions are met. MM always wants to be a competitive team and if this move can get us a playoff spot I would not hate the deal. With the limited playoff spots this year and how key playoff experience is for these players especially if we plan to contend in 2021-2022 season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Rangers and Firebirds Complete Trade – Kitchener Rangers

I like this trade for some reason. We gave little and could get a decent return from Wismer.

The trade itself is good. I imagine it becomes a 3rd or 4th once he plays a game.

I just don’t understand why. Until today, the 1st PP unit was shaping up to be something like Pinelli, McDonnell, Valade, Petizian, Sebrango, all 5 guys able to return for the 21-22 season. Wismer likely plays the bumper spot on there which means Valade probably plays on PP2 now.

I guess my main question is why get an OA of Wismer’s caliber in a retool season for a 21-22 playoff run? He’s going to take a bunch of minutes from guys who are going to have to be key parts of the team for a 2021-22 playoff run.

Still a good trade, though. Probably scores 30 goals in a regular year.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I Think that it could be something similar to the Campbell deal a couple years ago were as if he played 20 some games we would have had to give up a pick. That’s just my speculation. However its only a 15th so its not like we would lose a whole lot if those conditions are met. MM always wants to be a competitive team and if this move can get us a playoff spot I would not hate the deal. With the limited playoff spots this year and how key playoff experience is for these players especially if we plan to contend in 2021-2022 season.

It's only a 15th if the season doesnt happen. It turns into a 2021 4th rounder if Wismer plays 1 game (aka if the season happens).

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I’ve stated it multiple times in the Flint thread....Wismer’s camp dissed Flint a little in social media when he was drafted and he didn’t play here as a 16yo. As a 17yo he was almost non-existent and I thought he played a bit soft and very vanilla. I was not impressed and I may have stated as much. Over the last two years though, he has completely won me over and changed my mind to where he was one of my absolute favorite Firebirds and one I cheered for as hard as anybody. You won’t confuse him with Wendel Clark but he sure as hell isnt soft now. He goes to the dirty areas, will stick up for teammates if needed and scores big time clutch goals. His goal celebrations are the most humble in the league and I love watching him score. If there’s a season, I’m certain you’ll get to see him celebrate goals a bunch. It might not be your season to add an OA, but a 4th will be a steal if it goes down this year and I’m sure he’ll have a positive influence on the Ranger youngsters. Best of luck to Jack.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I’ve stated it multiple times in the Flint thread....Wismer’s camp dissed Flint a little in social media when he was drafted and he didn’t play here as a 16yo. As a 17yo he was almost non-existent and I thought he played a bit soft and very vanilla. I was not impressed and I may have stated as much. Over the last two years though, he has completely won me over and changed my mind to where he was one of my absolute favorite Firebirds and one I cheered for as hard as anybody. You won’t confuse him with Wendel Clark but he sure as hell isnt soft now. He goes to the dirty areas, will stick up for teammates if needed and scores big time clutch goals. His goal celebrations are the most humble in the league and I love watching him score. If there’s a season, I’m certain you’ll get to see him celebrate goals a bunch. It might not be your season to add an OA, but a 4th will be a steal if it goes down this year and I’m sure he’ll have a positive influence on the Ranger youngsters. Best of luck to Jack.

Appreciate the insight. I imagine he will fit in well to Jonny Yantsis’ role as a top 6 forward and a net front PP presence.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
did someone forget to switch accounts again lol :)
Yeahhhhh. Someone posting "well nobody knows what the return is" when it was clearly stated what the return is, and multiple people being like "uhhh hey dude, here's the return right here", must mean burner accounts!

But wait, Northern Voice is the only person who would ever make those jokes before and now he's been inactive for a couple months now and suddenly this account is making those jokes... Did you just out yourself..?

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
With the addition of Wismer, this Rangers team might very well fight for that 4th playoff spot. With that core of forwards in Wismer, Pinelli, McDonnell, Valade and Petizian, the latter 4 are all poised to make a huge leap in their production. They were all in 20 goal, 40+ point territory last season while taking the "passenger seat" so to speak with Damiani, Meireles, Hawel, Yantsis, Noel eating the big minutes and playing the powerplay. The D-core is returning 7 of 8. Sebrango likely fills the PP1 gap that Bergkvist left behind. I imagine they line up like:

Valade-Pinelli-McDonnell
Sop-Petizian-Wismer
Langdon-Serpa-Fishman
Martin-LeBlanc-Dickerson
Swick

Vukojevic-Sebrango
MacPherson-Xhekaj
Wale-Ottavainen/Motew
LeBlanc

Cajan/Parsons

I slotted Sop into the top 6 for a few reasons. Everything we've heard about him suggests he is ready to be a regular OHL player. He is even ranked by Central Scouting, which means nothing yet, but it's a good sign. I also think his skill set compliments Petizian and Wismer better than Langdon's does. Sop provides a skill game to those 2 who will bring the energy and two-way play. Due to injuries and lack of opportunity, right now I think Isaac Langdon is best suited as a 3rd line, shut-down/penalty kill type player. His skating isn't up to par with all of the other top 6 forward. He has also had the tendency to be caught with his head down which has been cause for injury in both of his seasons in Kitchener. By all means I hope he can turn it around, but right now I think the smartest move is to see what Sop can do and he could be another weapon in a 2021-22 playoff run.

I could also see a lot of games being 11 F and 7 D, due to the logjam on the D core. Dickerson, Swick and potentially Martin could all be scratch-able players where as I don't think Simon Motew or Ville Ottavainen should be in the press box.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
With the addition of Wismer, this Rangers team might very well fight for that 4th playoff spot. With that core of forwards in Wismer, Pinelli, McDonnell, Valade and Petizian, the latter 4 are all poised to make a huge leap in their production. They were all in 20 goal, 40+ point territory last season while taking the "passenger seat" so to speak with Damiani, Meireles, Hawel, Yantsis, Noel eating the big minutes and playing the powerplay. The D-core is returning 7 of 8. Sebrango likely fills the PP1 gap that Bergkvist left behind. I imagine they line up like:

Valade-Pinelli-McDonnell
Sop-Petizian-Wismer
Langdon-Serpa-Fishman
Martin-LeBlanc-Dickerson
Swick

Vukojevic-Sebrango
MacPherson-Xhekaj
Wale-Ottavainen/Motew
LeBlanc

Cajan/Parsons

I slotted Sop into the top 6 for a few reasons. Everything we've heard about him suggests he is ready to be a regular OHL player. He is even ranked by Central Scouting, which means nothing yet, but it's a good sign. I also think his skill set compliments Petizian and Wismer better than Langdon's does. Sop provides a skill game to those 2 who will bring the energy and two-way play. Due to injuries and lack of opportunity, right now I think Isaac Langdon is best suited as a 3rd line, shut-down/penalty kill type player. His skating isn't up to par with all of the other top 6 forward. He has also had the tendency to be caught with his head down which has been cause for injury in both of his seasons in Kitchener. By all means I hope he can turn it around, but right now I think the smartest move is to see what Sop can do and he could be another weapon in a 2021-22 playoff run.

I could also see a lot of games being 11 F and 7 D, due to the logjam on the D core. Dickerson, Swick and potentially Martin could all be scratch-able players where as I don't think Simon Motew or Ville Ottavainen should be in the press box.

Can't believe that Vuks won't be traded to a contender this season giving more ice time to Motew and Ottaveinen which they need. Also, Leblanc will get more opportunity to show what he can do.

I do hope Langdon has been working on his skating and keeping his head up. One more hit to the head could be one too many. I don't think we've ever seen his potential because of these hits. And yes, he needs to find his game be it shutdown or otherwise.

I do like the fact that the Rangers have added more size with talent. They shouldn't be pushed around quite as much as in the past. Wismer is a nice add up front both with his size and his ability to score. Plus, he's shown that he's willing to go to the dirty spots and get the job done. Then there's Martin who should prove to be a beast and move up to that 3rd line.

SOP.....I liked him at the camps but to see him on the draft radar when he barely played for the Rangers is intriguing to say the least. Here's a reminder of when MM snapped him up without waiting for another camp to sign him. Sop's team leading 42 games (a point per game), his play against players up to 5 years his senior in the OJHL, and his invite to their prospects game did not go unnoticed by MM or the scouts. This is the season to show what he can do.

MISSISSAUGA'S SOP SIGNS WITH HOMETOWN KITCHENER RANGERS | Ontario Junior A Hockey League

Goalies....the great unknown. Cajan and Parson both have promise. If either of them can adapt quickly, Rangers would have a crack at that playoff spot which would be great experience for the team. Going with these two this season is ideal during a rebuild or whatever you want to call it.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Can't believe that Vuks won't be traded to a contender this season giving more ice time to Motew and Ottaveinen which they need. Also, Leblanc will get more opportunity to show what he can do.

I do hope Langdon has been working on his skating and keeping his head up. One more hit to the head could be one too many. I don't think we've ever seen his potential because of these hits. And yes, he needs to find his game be it shutdown or otherwise.

I do like the fact that the Rangers have added more size with talent. They shouldn't be pushed around quite as much as in the past. Wismer is a nice add up front both with his size and his ability to score. Plus, he's shown that he's willing to go to the dirty spots and get the job done. Then there's Martin who should prove to be a beast and move up to that 3rd line.

SOP.....I liked him at the camps but to see him on the draft radar when he barely played for the Rangers is intriguing to say the least. Here's a reminder of when MM snapped him up without waiting for another camp to sign him. Sop's team leading 42 games (a point per game), his play against players up to 5 years his senior in the OJHL, and his invite to their prospects game did not go unnoticed by MM or the scouts. This is the season to show what he can do.

MISSISSAUGA'S SOP SIGNS WITH HOMETOWN KITCHENER RANGERS | Ontario Junior A Hockey League

Goalies....the great unknown. Cajan and Parson both have promise. If either of them can adapt quickly, Rangers would have a crack at that playoff spot which would be great experience for the team. Going with these two this season is ideal during a rebuild or whatever you want to call it.

On Vukojevic, I do think if the season gets up and running and teams are confident there will be playoff hockey and a Memorial Cup, they’ll bite. I don’t know if MM thinks this can be a team that can make that 4th playoff seed, but I think that D core is still strong minus Vuks.

section15

Dec 5, 2018
Rangers: "Due to the uncertainty of attendance levels at our home games we have decided to suspend all season tickets for the 2020–21 season. "
Season Ticket Update – Kitchener Rangers
Really the only fair way to go at this point. If a season gets off the ground at some point and if that season has fans it’s a no brainer that it won’t be at full capacity. Any modifications from that point with who would go, not go, where they sit etc.... would be a logistical nightmare.

Rangers: "Due to the uncertainty of attendance levels at our home games we have decided to suspend all season tickets for the 2020–21 season. "
Season Ticket Update – Kitchener Rangers
I personally feel the entire OHL season is just in a "slow roast" right now. Just a matter of time before they put a fork in it completely and consider it done

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Really the only fair way to go at this point. If a season gets off the ground at some point and if that season has fans it’s a no brainer that it won’t be at full capacity. Any modifications from that point with who would go, not go, where they sit etc.... would be a logistical nightmare.
Even fairer would be to waive the $50 to keep our season tickets rather charge deposit especially considering that season ticket money has sat there for months gaining their account interest and not mine...

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
I personally feel the entire OHL season is just in a "slow roast" right now. Just a matter of time before they put a fork in it completely and consider it done
I think we will get a season up and running by the states start date, especially with the news about the vaccine and how the prime minister said that Canada would have it available within the first 3 months of the year.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Even fairer would be to waive the $50 to keep our season tickets rather charge deposit especially considering that season ticket money has sat there for months gaining their account interest and not mine...
You know how much interest is on $600? Not a heck of a lot

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

I get that sentiment, but I want to support local OHL hockey as it's getting hit as hard as anyone by the pandemic and if leaving my cash sitting with them helps, then I'll do it.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I think we will get a season up and running by the states start date, especially with the news about the vaccine and how the prime minister said that Canada would have it available within the first 3 months of the year.

There is still a lot of uncertainty with regards to the vaccine. The season will be well over by the time they figure out the logistics.

Reactions: rangersblues

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

Firstly, one of the options is a complete refund minus $50 deposit to hold your tickets for the 2020-21 season. So a good investment agent should be able to get you $1 to $2 in interest.

But they are also telling subscribers that if they renew for the 2020-21 season, they will pay 2019-20 prices. We all know that prices go up each year and I, personally, would forfeit the interest in this case.

Edit: I either misread the publication or there is an error. So what they are really saying is that if you renew for the 2020-21 season, you will get the same pricing in 2021-22. The catch here is that there will be an increase from 2019-20 to 2020-21. How much? I think $$$$$$$$$$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim Wallach

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I do. And I'm happy to support them. But it wasn't just my $600.....how much in total subscriber money sat there since July? I was miffed that the recent news article cited them as saying that their only income was from their store when in fact, subscriber money is income as well. This latest offer to subscriber's is much nicer than the last when they were saying if you choose to get your money back, we can't guarantee you'll get the same seat for the next season.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Firstly, one of the options is a complete refund minus $50 deposit to hold your tickets for the 2020-21 season. So a good investment agent should be able to get you $1 to $2 in interest.

But they are also telling subscribers that if they renew for the 2020-21 season, they will pay 2019-20 prices. We all know that prices go up each year and I, personally, would forfeit the interest in this case.
Agreed GeoBlue...this is much better treatment of their subscribers and hasn't gone unnoticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad