Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Even can teams still buy back suspensions in the play offs these days? Smith got suspended last year and I believe it cost us the series. Soo had no answer to him.

I don't believe that was an automatic suspension. Only thing about it was that we knew he would be suspended based on past precedent. Because it's not an automatic predetermined x amount of games every time, we couldn't buy it back. To my knowledge, there still are opportunities to buy back automatic suspensions in the playoffs. I don't remember the rule ever been changed.

Reactions: K2

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Especially when it comes to goalkeeping. No sense in putting the cart in front of the horse when it comes to a possible education and career.

MM won't really know where we're at for Goaltending in 2019-20 yet either. Richie is a 4th OA that plays hot and cold with career stats that have never really varied season-to-season beyond B- and Pfeil has yet to show well in the O, neither would likely be starters elsewhere or possibly coveted too much anywhere for trade as BUGs. Beyond the known tandem, we have the Euro draft which is a crapshoot fo goalies, especially without strong 'stickhandling' given where we will pick and we may have options for Purcell, Wu or the other guys still in our pipeline: McBride didn't look strong in camp(s), we seem to have lost interest in Hasley & Douglas Connor, D'Alessandro probably isn't ready for the O, etc. We didn't go after Brock Baier who has still yet to excel beyond JrB but was the only standout in main camp last year ...

Mar 12, 2009
Rookie camps are nice but mean fairly little to me. You have drafted guys who are guaranteed to have at least a shot at main camp playing against guys with little chance to be invited to any teams main camp, giving it their all for one more "shot" at the dream. It makes it hard to read into them.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rookie camps are nice but mean fairly little to me. You have drafted guys who are guaranteed to have at least a shot at main camp playing against guys with little chance to be invited to any teams main camp, giving it their all for one more "shot" at the dream. It makes it hard to read into them.
Very true. Many times you see players at these camps you think you would like to see on the team. The drafted players particularly from this year always get priority. Others just fade away. I guess the scouts and managers hope to see a kid that they missed. Not even sure if that happens. Fun to watch though

Reactions: Torgo

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
It will be interesting to see what happens. Despite Coach Lazary defending his G by saying 'Ivan does this to clear the puck sometimes' the optics look like a needless and reckless act of frustration that endangered fans. A big skyward swing and no directional control rather than simply the typical dumb miscue. Some minutiae that are not immediately apparent might enter into the decision but I think the league has to either suspend with the 'automatic' reg language or review and rule so there's some supplemental discipline. Who ever knows what the league will do* but it's not an anticipated hockey play and fans expecting a stoppage or even sitting where the puck is unlikely to ever go were endangered. * Ontario Hockey League says five-game foam-puck suspension is really one game
Not to mention that he already had the puck firmly in his glove before "clearing the zone". This was no miscue. He was "expressing his displeasure" at that point. I have an expectation that the league will find a way around it...

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And in the case of this coming season, very few spots if any to have that shot.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not to mention that he already had the puck firmly in his glove before "clearing the zone". This was no miscue. He was "expressing his displeasure" at that point. I have an expectation that the league will find a way around it...
Lazary sounds like one of those fly by night lawyers with that story about the goalie.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
It makes it hard to read into them.

Very true, I think it gives the fans a little taste of what scouting is like ;) Our 2019 1st and 4th round picks were the best (unsigned) guys on the ice which is good and it was the first look at them (m)any of us have had so there was some affirmation MM + Co did well so far if nothing else. Had Schmidt, Wu & McDonnell turned up, the high-fives would have outnumbered the questions perhaps but that's the nature of the thing!

I always like to see where our prospects are at since last year and, likewise, those few older picks that surprise & show up for the first time. Like others I'm sure, I always hope that some unknown FA will surprisingly shine like the next Parsons or DeBrincat and start a fairytale but that's always going to be the rare exception.

Reactions: Torgo
Mar 12, 2009
Very true. Many times you see players at these camps you think you would like to see on the team. The drafted players particularly from this year always get priority. Others just fade away. I guess the scouts and managers hope to see a kid that they missed. Not even sure if that happens. Fun to watch though
I may be remembering this wrong, but the last was Kyle Gentles. Other than that I think Chris Mcgonigle may have been one as well, but that didn't really go anywhere.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Lazary sounds like one of those fly by night lawyers with that story about the goalie.

Lol. Dale Hunter came up with some interesting explanations for some of the offences his players committed over the years.

I remember when he tried to say that Josh Beaulieu was just trying to get up off the ice when he rammed Spencer Anderson's face into the ice. Same excuse he used when Danny Bois did the same thing to Andre Benoit. Both Rangers were bloodied up.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Wonder if the Rangers will give Pinelli's brother a shot in the main camp as a way to get the younger guy to sign here.

I have a feeling this "relationship" with the Pinelli family began last year when the older Pinelli was drafted. Just another theory as to why little bro slipped to us in the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an agreement in place the have the older brother mirror the career that Ben Skinner had here in town with the Rangers/JrB, and CIS hockey.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I have a feeling this "relationship" with the Pinelli family began last year when the older Pinelli was drafted. Just another theory as to why little bro slipped to us in the draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an agreement in place the have the older brother mirror the career that Ben Skinner had here in town with the Rangers/JrB, and CIS hockey.
Well, I guess that would be acceptable to the leagues office. Plus, it's not like AP is a hack but is a decent player and would be good call-up if needed.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
wonder when little Pinelli signs. Valade was announced at the beginning of this camp last year and Langdon signed at the conclusion

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if there is an agreement in place the have the older brother mirror the career that Ben Skinner had here in town

Could be we've made a tradition of these 'bro deals' since the Scott & Mike Stevens days ... if not before ;)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Could be we've made a tradition of these 'bro deals' since the Scott & Mike Stevens days ... if not before ;)

Reinhardt. Paul and Kevin.

Stevens. Scott and Mike.

MacInnis. Al and Rob.

Devereaux. (Boyd's brother got a tryout and I believe played JrB here plus CIS)

Eminger. Steve and John.

Skinner. Jeff and Ben.

Now the Pinelli brothers.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
If you want to go in the wayback machine, Bobby Jones was an original Ranger and I believe the 2nd captain. His brother Jimmy Jones followed and wasn't very good. There were also the Kannegeisser brothers ( Sheldon and Gord) and Cam and Gary Crosby. Bill Barber's brother John also played here a few seasons before Bill arrived.

Last edited:

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Reinhardt. Paul and Kevin.

Stevens. Scott and Mike.

MacInnis. Al and Rob.

Devereaux. (Boyd's brother got a tryout and I believe played JrB here plus CIS)

Eminger. Steve and John.

Skinner. Jeff and Ben.

Now the Pinelli brothers.

And for us oldsters.............Dave and Don Maloney.

Reactions: rangersblues

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Thanks to those who were able to make it out to the prospect camp this weekend.

It's so nice that you took the time to share your observations with those of us who couldn't make it.

Not many spots to fill, but like others, I could see someone challenging a lower current roster spot holder for a position.

I don't read too much into Justin Wu looking for a spot with Georgetown. It sounds like the Rangers don't want to rush him and want him in a good organization where he will play and grow.

Looking forward to training camp.

Thanks again for the prospect camp reports and all the great opinions shared here.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
As I said on the Guelph and Saginaw boards, I don't believe that this has happened in the past in the playoffs. So we have nothing to go by. But I am leaning towards it being able to be bought back because it is an automatic suspension.

Prosvetov gets the automatic five games and Murray gets four for checking to the head (Entwistle)...

The first incident reviewed was an automatic game misconduct assessed to goaltender Ivan Prosvetov of the Saginaw Spirit Hockey Club for batting a puck into the spectator area at a stoppage of play.

Based on a review of the incident, it is the position of the League that player Ivan Prosvetov shall be suspended, as per League policy, the minimum five (5) games effective immediately.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Prosvetov gets the automatic five games and Murray gets four for checking to the head (Entwistle)...

The first incident reviewed was an automatic game misconduct assessed to goaltender Ivan Prosvetov of the Saginaw Spirit Hockey Club for batting a puck into the spectator area at a stoppage of play.

Based on a review of the incident, it is the position of the League that player Ivan Prosvetov shall be suspended, as per League policy, the minimum five (5) games effective immediately.

As it should be. Totally bone-headed thing to do and just lucky he didn't take some kid out in the stands.

Reactions: bobber and K2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad