Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I would have right now these 3 raw rookies in the lineup..Pinelli, Fishman and Motew. A team should have at least 3 16 yrs olds in the lineup...maybe not play a lot but what they use to call an "energy line". There are a few vets that can be packaged maybe along with a pick or two for more picks or 19 yr old dman who would be back for an OA yr. One of the worst things a GM can do is fall in love with veteran players returning.
Dakota Betts has been one of the best Dman at this camp but that could be more due to age and experience than anything else. Declan McDonnell if he does come should also be getting plenty of icetime.
Purcell has been the best goalie at this camp, just wish Wu was here to see in action. Missed this am game but did Purcell get the entire game this am? I believe he played a full game last night and is looking good for another full game now.
Wu is trying out for your all time favourite historic Teir Two Georgetown Raiders

Reactions: Ward Cornell

K2

Jun 11, 2015
If Damiani got 5 games for his miscue, what does Prosvetov get for this ...

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We had a goalie do the exact same thing a few years ago as time expired in celebration after a win and he got 5 games.

Reactions: K2

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Three run Homer.
Apparently, he was just clearing the puck because the whistle hadn't blown yet. Something he's done several times through the year. ;) And yes, he didn't intentionally hit the puck into the stands.....like Damiani did...according to a Saginaw fan. :rolleyes: I was watching the game and have to admit IMHO that it was the most boneheaded thing I've seen in a long time!

Now, Guelph is up 3-2 with only minutes left in the game. However, Ratcliffe added to the craziness of the 3rd by pushing Giroux into the Sag players box. His 2 minute equally boneheaded penalty for this allowed Sag to tie up the game and they then went on to win in OT.

Just the same, Guelph was down 3-0 to London and came back. If Sag's #1 goalie gets 5 games (which he should unless the OHL claims that it was a foam puck....), that swings (no pun intended but it was a heck of a swing) in Guelph's favour. Quite the gong show!!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Wu is trying out for your all time favourite historic Teir Two Georgetown Raiders
Any why? He knows he won't get enough playing time? Would Rangers instruct him to do so if they felt it was better for his development? Anyone have a theory on this?

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Ward did you mean Owen Robertson? Big defenseman free agent.. He did look like a good project. Fishman is small but fast and has a nose for the net. He can finish plays nicely. Have to keep the camp in context as it is a rookie camp and some of the free agents and picks from last season are older.
Waterloo kid...
upload_2019-4-21_8-38-50.png

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Any why? He knows he won't get enough playing time? Would Rangers instruct him to do so if they felt it was better for his development? Anyone have a theory on this?
1) They may have wanted to given Wu a better chance to make the raiders and play a larger chunk of games there?
2) the Rangers wanted to give the 3 goalies at Rookie Camp extended time in net for evaluation?
3) Maybe it was Wu's choice not to attend.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Apparently, he was just clearing the puck because the whistle hadn't blown yet. Something he's done several times through the year. ;) And yes, he didn't intentionally hit the puck into the stands.....like Damiani did...according to a Saginaw fan. :rolleyes: I was watching the game and have to admit IMHO that it was the most boneheaded thing I've seen in a long time!

Now, Guelph is up 3-2 with only minutes left in the game. However, Ratcliffe added to the craziness of the 3rd by pushing Giroux into the Sag players box. His 2 minute equally boneheaded penalty for this allowed Sag to tie up the game and they then went on to win in OT.

Just the same, Guelph was down 3-0 to London and came back. If Sag's #1 goalie gets 5 games (which he should unless the OHL claims that it was a foam puck....), that swings (no pun intended but it was a heck of a swing) in Guelph's favour. Quite the gong show!!

Not so cut and dried on five games. Sure in the past this has been an automatic five game suspension. But this is the playoffs. Historically, automatic suspensions, such as second fight same stoppage, have been able to be bought back. This is an automatic suspension. So it may be able to be bought back.

As I said on the Guelph and Saginaw boards, I don't believe that this has happened in the past in the playoffs. So we have nothing to go by. But I am leaning towards it being able to be bought back because it is an automatic suspension.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
1) They may have wanted to given Wu a better chance to make the raiders and play a larger chunk of games there?
2) the Rangers wanted to give the 3 goalies at Rookie Camp extended time in net for evaluation?
3) Maybe it was Wu's choice not to attend.

If we want to develop a goaltender to eventually become our number one, we have to do it the right way. If an agreement has been made between the Rangers and Wu to have him play at tier 2 as a 16-year-old #1, play a crap load of games, and then come onto the Ranger roster the following season, it makes sense to me.

I have no problem going with Pfiel as the number one next year with one of the guys at this rookie camp backing him up. At least to start the season. It'll take a couple months to find out who Pfiel is as a goalie.

Can he be a number one or not?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
My theory after watching video of this kid in net? He should be given a chance here to compete with the other signed goalies. The players in the OHL shoot harder and are bigger and stronger than Tier Two or whatever they call it. Glorified Junior B. Be nice to at least see what Wu has even if they send him back to a lower league.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My theory after watching video of this kid in net? He should be given a chance here to compete with the other signed goalies. The players in the OHL shoot harder and are bigger and stronger than Tier Two or whatever they call it. Glorified Junior B. Be nice to at least see what Wu has even if they send him back to a lower league.

I'd expect him to be at our main camp in the fall.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I would have right now these 3 raw rookies in the lineup..Pinelli, Fishman and Motew. A team should have at least 3 16 yrs olds in the lineup...maybe not play a lot but what they use to call an "energy line". There are a few vets that can be packaged maybe along with a pick or two for more picks or 19 yr old dman who would be back for an OA yr. One of the worst things a GM can do is fall in love with veteran players returning.
Dakota Betts has been one of the best Dman at this camp but that could be more due to age and experience than anything else. Declan McDonnell if he does come should also be getting plenty of icetime.
Purcell has been the best goalie at this camp, just wish Wu was here to see in action. Missed this am game but did Purcell get the entire game this am? I believe he played a full game last night and is looking good for another full game now.

Did McDonnell report to the spring camp last year? I can't remember.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Did McDonnell report to the spring camp last year? I can't remember.
One player that I thought accounted himself with his forecheck and non-stop motor was Matthew Sop. I doubt he'll make the team this upcoming season but I see him being on the Rangers the season after. A player comparable would be Nick McHugh.
Compared to rookie camps in the past there were some quite large players out there and with some skill.
Let's see what shakes out of this camp and the fall training camp. There's always surprises....Gentles and jack-eye are two recent players. I know I'm missing a cpl (not Inc Yantsis since he never did attend any camps)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
According to Mr. Brown.Declan McDonnell just finished up his season with the Lincoln Stars and had family obligations. He was invited to camp.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I hate to be negative, but odds are Wu is focused on Georgetown to keep his long term options (read: NCAA) open. This would be his call not the Rangers.

As for MacDonell, I hate to say it, but in year 2 of junior eligibility, when you miss rookie camp for "family commitments" it is like when you ask someone out and they tell you they would like to but they have to re-arrange their sock drawer.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
One player that I thought accounted himself with his forecheck and non-stop motor was Matthew Sop. I doubt he'll make the team this upcoming season but I see him being on the Rangers the season after. A player comparable would be Nick McHugh.
Compared to rookie camps in the past there were some quite large players out there and with some skill.
Let's see what shakes out of this camp and the fall training camp. There's always surprises....Gentles and jack-eye are two recent players. I know I'm missing a cpl (not Inc Yantsis since he never did attend any camps)
The Rangers had 17 FAs in the rookie camp. Looking for diamonds in the rough? Not many spots to fill for next season so it would be great to see some players push the vets for spots if they get invited to the main camp.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I hate to be negative, but odds are Wu is focused on Georgetown to keep his long term options (read: NCAA) open. This would be his call not the Rangers.

As for MacDonell, I hate to say it, but in year 2 of junior eligibility, when you miss rookie camp for "family commitments" it is like when you ask someone out and they tell you they would like to but they have to re-arrange their sock drawer.
Agreed.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Funny stuff. I agree with the Wu thing. These kids have to keep options open. Guess it's hard for a team to make solid promises even to skilled prospects at certain positions unless they are in total rebuild.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Funny stuff. I agree with the Wu thing. These kids have to keep options open. Guess it's hard for a team to make solid promises even to skilled prospects at certain positions unless they are in total rebuild.
Especially when it comes to goalkeeping. No sense in putting the cart in front of the horse when it comes to a possible education and career. And hey, it's Georgetown! :)

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not so cut and dried on five games. Sure in the past this has been an automatic five game suspension. But this is the playoffs. Historically, automatic suspensions, such as second fight same stoppage, have been able to be bought back. This is an automatic suspension. So it may be able to be bought back.

As I said on the Guelph and Saginaw boards, I don't believe that this has happened in the past in the playoffs. So we have nothing to go by. But I am leaning towards it being able to be bought back because it is an automatic suspension.
Even can teams still buy back suspensions in the play offs these days? Smith got suspended last year and I believe it cost us the series. Soo had no answer to him.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

And from Wu's standpoint, there's almost no chance he'd be one of the two goalies at 16. So for him it makes sense to stay flexible, give it a year and maybe know better how he stands with Kitchener at 17. I'm guessing the Rangers wanted him at camp but had told him he'd be playing elsewhere for this season.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Not so cut and dried on five games. Sure in the past this has been an automatic five game suspension. But this is the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Despite Coach Lazary defending his G by saying 'Ivan does this to clear the puck sometimes' the optics look like a needless and reckless act of frustration that endangered fans. A big skyward swing and no directional control rather than simply the typical dumb miscue. Some minutiae that are not immediately apparent might enter into the decision but I think the league has to either suspend with the 'automatic' reg language or review and rule so there's some supplemental discipline. Who ever knows what the league will do* but it's not an anticipated hockey play and fans expecting a stoppage or even sitting where the puck is unlikely to ever go were endangered. * Ontario Hockey League says five-game foam-puck suspension is really one game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad