Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Prosvetov gets the automatic five games and Murray gets four for checking to the head (Entwistle)...

The first incident reviewed was an automatic game misconduct assessed to goaltender Ivan Prosvetov of the Saginaw Spirit Hockey Club for batting a puck into the spectator area at a stoppage of play.

Based on a review of the incident, it is the position of the League that player Ivan Prosvetov shall be suspended, as per League policy, the minimum five (5) games effective immediately.
This is exactly what Prosvetov deserved. He was pissed at the refs and wanted to show them he didn't respect them and batted a puck into the crowd. Dangerous play. Damiani did less and got five. League was right.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
You know, I see a lot of Saginaw fans complaining about the Murray hit being too many games.

If you ask me he got off lightly.

Remember this his from Randell was 10 games:

I am a huge Randell fan and thought this was a brutal suspension.

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Schnarr hit Vallati the same way in last year's playoffs. The only difference was that Vallati, though shaken, didn't stay down for very long.

Direct hit to the head. The head was first point of contact.

No call on the ice. No suspension.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I'm hoping it's Motew. We already know Pinelli is coming.
The only other player from the Rookie Camp that I suspect they would sign and it's based on lack of ppostional depth would be goalie Purcell. Other than that not sure who else.

Edited to add.....should have included Fishman as another player to sign!!

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The only other player from the Rookie Camp that I suspect they would sign and it's based on lack of ppostional depth would be goalie Purcell. Other than that not sure who else.

I only saw a little bit of the rookie camp so I really haven't seen much of anything of the goaltending.

Are we already putting Purcell ahead of McBride? Just asking. If not, maybe we wait until the main camp before we make a decision on these guys?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I only saw a little bit of the rookie camp so I really haven't seen much of anything of the goaltending.

Are we already putting Purcell ahead of McBride? Just asking. If not, maybe we wait until the main camp before we make a decision on these guys?
As it stands now, we have Richardson and Pfeil.
Like others I do concur Richardson will likely be traded which just leaves Pfeil. I know the talk is the Rangers should be picking a goalie in the import draft. But that is a rather "iffy" propostion on so many fronts A) do they get the goalie they want? B) will he sign C) is he any good D) how does he adapt to CHL hockey?

Nothing against Pfeil, but I wouldn't hedge my bets on him, he had a rather unremarkable season. Is Purcell ahead of McBride?....I would think so at this stage but we need some depth there.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
This is exactly what Prosvetov deserved. He was pissed at the refs and wanted to show them he didn't respect them and batted a puck into the crowd. Dangerous play. Damiani did less and got five. League was right.
Absolutely. He wasn't "clearing the zone". Seriously.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

There was never an issue as to whether or not he deserved a five game suspension. He did. Five games is automatic for that offense.

What was in question was whether or not that suspension could've been bought back in the postseason. Simple. End of story. What we learned was that it does not fall under the buyback criteria.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
and MOTEW has signed!! Next Fishman??
Anytime you can get an American high draft pick to come to camp (and yes, I consider 4th a relative high pick) you need to try to get his name on paper. If he goes back home and has a great yr you may not see him again once the NCAA comes knocking. If an OHL team can match what the NCAA is offering then it's a win for the player as well.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
didn’t really have any doubt that Motew would sign. that high of a pick on an American with no commitment.

speaking of Americans, it seems like an eternity since there has been any in Kitchener but it was just a year ago

wonder what the hold is to get Pinelli’s name on the dotted line

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Good to see Motew signed. He was one of the standouts for me in rookie camp.

I would think Pinelli will sign and hoping for Fishman. Other than that I wouldn't sign anyone else in hope's to eventually sign Schmidt. I would leave the last spot open indefinitely just in case.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Maybe I am wrong but Smion Motew has a older brother who is a decent goaltender. Tactical move by Kitchener?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
There was never an issue as to whether or not he deserved a five game suspension. He did. Five games is automatic for that offense.

What was in question was whether or not that suspension could've been bought back in the postseason. Simple. End of story. What we learned was that it does not fall under the buyback criteria.
Exactly what I thought. Hence the automatic ruling. The league would look very weak if they let this guy play in the next game. Now the story ends;)

Reactions: K2

K2

Jun 11, 2015
His brother's education package?

Somehow I wonder if we even have enough 'gold packs' left on the shelf that we won't otherwise need?

Nothing against Pfeil, but I wouldn't hedge my bets on him, he had a rather unremarkable season. Is Purcell ahead of McBride?....I would think so at this stage but we need some depth there.

Agreed & I think Pfeil, like Richie, has played to potential here and while that is OK, I don't see him as a successful starter on a team that should achieve more than last year or a blue-chip prospect two years out. I'd easily put Purcell ahead of McBride based on Spring camp and both of their ongoing resumes to date but he's not a Luke Opilka level guy ... at least not yet. I hope he's still interested when main camp rolls around but he'll quite likely have other opportunities with Cleaveland U18, Youngstown, etc(?) that might be attractive too. MM needs to find a bonafide starting G somewhere ... Euro, FA, trade, prospect ?

Maybe I am wrong but Smion Motew has a older brother who is a decent goaltender. Tactical move by Kitchener?

Asher probably would have been a FA at camp if a bro-deal was a possibility. Doesn't look to be at the level. There's a younger Motew, Ben, that's a goalie ... maybe we'll start scouting him for next year !

Last edited:
Reactions: Ward Cornell

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Exactly what I thought. Hence the automatic ruling. The league would look very weak if they let this guy play in the next game. Now the story ends;)

This league looks terribly weak as it is now with the inconsistent dealing with hits to the head and various other infractions.

That last thing anyone should be giving credit to this league for is not being weak in this department.

But I get what you're trying to say.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Somehow I wonder if we even have enough 'gold packs' left on the shelf that we won't otherwise need?
I think with the trades of Grayson Ladd and Vallati their gold packages went with them. So the Rangers should be good in that department. If not, then the Rangers could hire Pinelli the Senior as a very expensive area scout. Or maybe have him retained as farm hand on one of Board of Directors farms! ;)

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think Mitchell Martin will be here within the next couple years, but that is based solely off of scouting reports and stats. seems like he would be a good 4th line fit to start

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Thescout.ca's article highlighting Kitchener's top-10 prospects has the Siskins' goalie in our top 5. Did I miss something? Didn't realize he was a Ranger prospect and certainly not one high on the radar.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Thescout.ca's article highlighting Kitchener's top-10 prospects has the Siskins' goalie in our top 5. Did I miss something? Didn't realize he was a Ranger prospect and certainly not one high on the radar.
Im not a subscriber so not 100% sure who you're talking about but Matt Onuska was drafted by Kingston in the 7th round in 2018, probably just brain blip with the letter "K"! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad