Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just caught the last couple seconds of Farwell's interview with Mike MacKenzie this morning. Anybody get a chance to hear the whole interview? Farwell made it sound like he asked him a couple tough questions.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just caught the last couple seconds of Farwell's interview with Mike MacKenzie this morning. Anybody get a chance to hear the whole interview? Farwell made it sound like he asked him a couple tough questions.
Yes I heard the whole interview. Basically said the Rangers will return 18 players next season. They will be told what their weaknesses are and what to work on over the summer. Kind of gave a hint that it could be competitive and some of the present roster players need to step up. Talked about the draft. Next Saturday. Said every team has a set plan but the other 19 teams do also and can throw a wrench into what you want to achieve quickly. Sounds like the will either grab the player off their list or the next best player available. Farwell asked him about the big Storm team. I like size but going by McKenzie he seems to be leaning for smaller skilled players.
On a side note. I use to sit and talk to Ben Thompson's dad at practice when he was in town on work stuff. He said the players are told what to work on when they leave. They are not given a program by the team. They are on their own as far as improving their strength and skating etc.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yes I heard the whole interview. Basically said the Rangers will return 18 players next season. They will be told what their weaknesses are and what to work on over the summer. Kind of gave a hint that it could be competitive and some of the present roster players need to step up. Talked about the draft. Next Saturday. Said every team has a set plan but the other 19 teams do also and can throw a wrench into what you want to achieve quickly. Sounds like the will either grab the player off their list or the next best player available. Farwell asked him about the big Storm team. I like size but going by McKenzie he seems to be leaning for smaller skilled players.
On a side note. I use to sit and talk to Ben Thompson's dad at practice when he was in town on work stuff. He said the players are told what to work on when they leave. They are not given a program by the team. They are on their own as far as improving their strength and skating etc.

Thanks Bobber, I assume that they will always take the best players period in the first few rounds. Only later when talent levels are more balanced between the players that I would think they would lean towards the larger players.
As for the players are responsible for their offseason training, there was a good chance that was 3 GMs ago under Steve Spott. Here's hoping
that this has changed under Mike McKenzie.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks for the recap bobber.

I think there is an obvious down side to returning that many players. The big one is that your incoming rookies and sophomores won't necessarily see the increased role and ice time they need. And my biggest concern with the Rangers is that there a lot of roster positions currently filled by guys who may serve no other purpose than to block younger, more promising guys. So I just hope MM and JM are willing to make those tough calls if there isn't significant improvement with those guys.

As for the draft, this is one of the deeper looking drafts in memory. You can get players who can step in and play significant roles right away into the 4th round this year. He has to hit on his first four picks.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Thanks Bobber, I assume that they will always take the best players period in the first few rounds. Only later when talent levels are more balanced between the players that I would think they would lean towards the larger players.
As for the players are responsible for their offseason training, there was a good chance that was 3 GMs ago under Steve Spott. Here's hoping
that this has changed under Mike McKenzie.
I think McKenzie was saying the same things that Ben's dad mentioned. You just hope their is more substance to it in this day and age. Most of these kids even in Triple A Midgets for the up coming draft are in the gym 3-4 days a week on a regular basis plus ice time. I am sure all these players parents know what is at stake here.
Players that are on the bubble can be beaten out of a spot by a walk on(Gentles) or a skilled rookie depending on the Rangers projections for next season.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I think McKenzie was saying the same things that Ben's dad mentioned. You just hope their is more substance to it in this day and age. Most of these kids even in Triple A Midget are in the gym 3-4 days a week on a regular basis plus ice time.

I talked to a scout about that recently and he put it succinctly. He said that "nobody is fooling anyone anymore." He said that there are kids who want it and ones who lack that motivation. And the fitness and strength testing at camp these days is so precise that you can tell instantly who has that drive and has followed the plans provided. Because even though the team doesn't necessarily check in over the summer, they absolutely do provide very detailed routine/plans for kids.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
you would have to think there are going to be some moves made over the summer to open up spots. the Rangers have 12 forwards going into the offseason that are most likely back. of those 12, Gordon seems like a long shot to be in the lineup. Serpa is going to have to get a bit bigger over the summer. Tresoor and Dickerson have to have big summers or else there won't be room if the team wants to compete. Tresoor and Serpa have shown glimpses of what could be 2 solid 4th line forwards but both obviously have set backs (Tresoor's injury, Serpa's weight). There are going to be guys coming in hungry for spots, new draft picks, past draft picks (Dylan Winsor and Kyle Van Compernolle are intriguing), free agents and maybe an import. Not to mention potential trades if the team is in fact going to compete.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Provided we get the three OA's back, we'll have 11 returning forwards including Serpa and excluding Guest and Gordon.

It's obvious that Gordon is not in our plans. In a rebuilding year, this coaching staff chose to go with a short forward corps as opposed to using Gordon who was available. That tells me he is not in our plans going forward.

From what I understand, Guest still says he's a free agent next year. I will leave it at that.

Serpa looked pretty good whenever he was called up this year. I see a spot for him on this team next year.

Despite the play of Richardson, he is easily fourth on the depth chart as far as OA's go. If we get all three back, I can't see a scenario where we move one of those three to make room for him. Pfiel would then get the same opportunity to start that Richardson got this year. If it comes to that, I see Richardson landing somewhere in the league easily. Should one of the OA three not return, I think Richardson would be the third OA with Pfiel moving on in favour of a younger rookie goalie.

We dressed Rupoli in the post season but barely used him. In a season where we are rebuilding, and in games that we were out of in this post season, I would've expected to see him used if for no other reason than to get a look at him for next year. Part of the rebuilding process is playing the kids. He may be in the same boat that Gordon is in.

Meireles
Yantsis
Garreffa
Damiani
Stepien
Petizian
Valade
Langdon
Serpa
Vukojevic
Sebrango
MacPherson
Xhekaj

I see these guys having jobs here next year. Anyone I haven't mentioned could be on the bubble what with two import picks coming in and two or three 03's coming aboard. Not to mention the possibility of a player or two from past drafts making noise. Also, we seem to bring in a FA almost every year. There'll be some good battles for spots next year.

Last edited:

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I would hope the team gives players an idea of what they need to work on in the summer because according to the OHL website "Each OHL Member Team provides an annual $1000 off season expense reimbursement for players for off ice training and skill development."

Reactions: Ward Cornell

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I would hope the team gives players an idea of what they need to work on in the summer because according to the OHL website "Each OHL Member Team provides an annual $1000 off season expense reimbursement for players for off ice training and skill development."

I figure that’s apart of every teams process at the end of the year.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Provided we get the three OA's back, we'll have 11 returning forwards including Serpa and excluding Guest and Gordon.

It's obvious that Gordon is not in our plans. In a rebuilding year, this coaching staff chose to go with a short forward corps as opposed to using Gordon who was available. That tells me he is not in our plans going forward.

From what I understand, Guest still says he's a free agent next year. I will leave it at that.

Serpa looked pretty good whenever he was called up this year. I see a spot for him on this team next year.

Despite the play of Richardson, he is easily fourth on the depth chart as far as OA's go. If we get all three back, I can't see a scenario where we move one of those three to make room for him. Pfiel would then get the same opportunity to start that Richardson got this year. If it comes to that, I see Richardson landing somewhere in the league easily. Should one of the OA three not return, I think Richardson would be the third OA with Pfiel moving on in favour of a younger rookie goalie.

We dressed Rupoli in the post season but barely used him. In a season where we are rebuilding, and in games that we were out of in this post season, I would've expected to see him used if for no other reason than to get a look at him for next year. Part of the rebuilding process is playing the kids. He may be in the same boat that Gordon is in.

Meireles
Yantsis
Garreffa
Damiani
Stepien
Petizian
Valade
Langdon
Serpa
Vukojevic
Sebrango
MacPherson
Xhekaj

I see these guys having jobs here next year. Anyone I haven't mentioned could be on the bubble what with two import picks coming in and two or three 03's coming aboard. Not to mention the possibility of a player or two from past drafts making noise. Also, we seem to bring in a FA almost every year. There'll be some good battles for spots next year.

the Rupoli trade has boggled my mind to this date. they already had this type of player in Xhekaj, who is younger and IMO, better than Rupoli is but the age and experience factor gave Rupoli the edge for most of the 2nd half and Xhekaj was either a scratch or a forward for most of the 2nd half

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
the Rupoli trade has boggled my mind to this date. they already had this type of player in Xhekaj, who is younger and IMO, better than Rupoli is but the age and experience factor gave Rupoli the edge for most of the 2nd half and Xhekaj was either a scratch or a forward for most of the 2nd half

And word is that Rupoli, even though he's a D, was used primarily as a 4th line winger in Oshawa.

I'm a big fan of MM and most of what he's done, but how does this get past him? How is it that Rupoli plays D thus bumping Xhekaj to the wing?

I get it that MM hoped to find a "player" on the cheap. Looks like it was a priority for this coaching staff to play him on D to see if he can have a future here.

From what I've seen, unless he improves big time between now and September, I don't see a spot for him on our blueline.

Vukojevic Sebrango
MacPherson Xhekaj

I see an import and a rookie or two added to that depth chart. Depending on "who we are", we add a dependable vet if and when we crawl up the standings.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I still see an organization lacking a solid overall plan for development. Granted our top 5 forwards came from no where this season which was a pleasant surprise. But it came at the cost of playing a lot of our young players especially early in the season in what was obviously a rebuild. Now next season, it looks like anyone we draft will also be stuck with very little ice time with all the returnees. We need to weed out the guys who will never be more than mediocre players and give young players that have potential every opportunity to develop early in their careers.

On one hand it looks like we are moving in the right direction. I don't think we can deny the culture has changed. But on the other hand we still seem to be spinning our wheels. It is a big hole were digging out of from a few years ago.

Last edited:

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I'd love to see the Rangers buy the Dutchmen so players who aren't quite ready for the Rangers can develop there. They could use the same systems the Rangers do, so when a player is called up they already know what to do. The players would also be be close so the Rangers GM could see their development.

It would be possible way to develop coaches too.

I see it as a farm system.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I still see an organization lacking a solid overall plan for development. Granted our top 5 forwards came from no where this season which was a pleasant surprise. But it came at the cost of playing a lot of our young players especially early in the season in what was obviously a rebuild. Now next season, it looks like anyone we draft will also be stuck with very little ice time with all the returnees. We need to weed out the guys who will never be more than mediocre players and give young players that have potential every opportunity to develop early in their careers.

On one hand it looks like we are moving in the right direction. I don't think we can deny the culture has changed. But on the other hand we still seem to be spinning our wheels. It is a big hole were digging out of from a few years ago.
One thing I find missing is character type players that get under the skin of opposing teams. Players with grit. The Rangers seem to steer clear of this type of player. Some think it has been that way since Ben Fenelli got seriously injured. I think Petizian has a bit of that in him. If he was about half a foot taller he would fit that bill. The kid isn't afraid to throw a hit on any player no matter the size. Doesn't take a lot of penalties but gets under the skins of opposing teams. Too much Irish in me I guess.

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
AXEL ANDERSSON........... February 2019......When Sweden's U19 national team won the five-nation tournament in Finland this weekend, both Axel Andersson and Hugo Gustafsson showed their feet. Axel was listed for two goals and three assists and was named the match's lyricist in two of the four games and Hugo was in charge of an assist and was appointed to the match's lords in the final victory match against Finland.

Then....from an article on the Top 15 in the Boston Bruins system....Feb 2019:

8. Axel Andersson
Selected to the Swedish U19 team to go to the Five Nations tournament this month, Andersson has continued to push for more playing time in Sweden. He made a little noise in training camp after being the Bruins top draft pick in June.

As noted earlier in our thread, Andersson had only 5 assists in 41 games played. As per the Top 15 article, he wanted more playing time.

Well Axel, you're in luck. We'll give you tons of ice time here in Kitchener, you'll be closer for your Boston scouts to keep an eye on you, you'll have the opportunity of adapting your game to the smaller ice surface, and have two former NHL D's to coach you not to mention a Swedish NHLer to talk to. What do you say??

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
AXEL ANDERSSON........... February 2019......When Sweden's U19 national team won the five-nation tournament in Finland this weekend, both Axel Andersson and Hugo Gustafsson showed their feet. Axel was listed for two goals and three assists and was named the match's lyricist in two of the four games and Hugo was in charge of an assist and was appointed to the match's lords in the final victory match against Finland.

Then....from an article on the Top 15 in the Boston Bruins system....Feb 2019:

8. Axel Andersson
Selected to the Swedish U19 team to go to the Five Nations tournament this month, Andersson has continued to push for more playing time in Sweden. He made a little noise in training camp after being the Bruins top draft pick in June.

As noted earlier in our thread, Andersson had only 5 assists in 41 games played. As per the Top 15 article, he wanted more playing time.

Well Axel, you're in luck. We'll give you tons of ice time here in Kitchener, you'll be closer for your Boston scouts to keep an eye on you, you'll have the opportunity of adapting your game to the smaller ice surface, and have two former NHL D's to coach you not to mention a Swedish NHLer to talk to. What do you say??
The Bruins may look at how the coaches here develop defense before sending Axel to the Rangers.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
We need to weed out the guys who will never be more than mediocre players and give young players that have potential every opportunity to develop early in their careers.

Exactly. Say what you will about the Hunters but perhaps their biggest skill is their will to cut bait with mediocrity early and bring in a kid to develop. They understand that if a kid is never going to be a big contributor, there is no point wasting the uniform. Every kid dressed has to contribute or be on a path to contributing.

And bobber is right about needing some grit and sandpaper. As much as we hate watching London's antics, if you look at all winning teams, every single one has swagger and push back. Kitchener has a culture of nice.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Exactly. Say what you will about the Hunters but perhaps their biggest skill is their will to cut bait with mediocrity early and bring in a kid to develop. They understand that if a kid is never going to be a big contributor, there is no point wasting the uniform. Every kid dressed has to contribute or be on a path to contributing.

And bobber is right about needing some grit and sandpaper. As much as we hate watching London's antics, if you look at all winning teams, every single one has swagger and push back. Kitchener has a culture of nice.
I know its not polite but a long time STH beside us says the Rangers drafted "choir boys" since Deboer was here. He said it not me! It's more of a reference to the gritty types we use to see at the Aud. Duco!!!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Has anybody reads Josh Browns last article about how we could be serious contenders next year.
Kitchener Rangers could be a contender as soon as next season
It seems like a quick turnaround is highly possible.
What are your guys opinions?

It's been talked about on here a bit more frequently with the success of Meireles, Damiani, Garreffa, Yantsis. I think there are definitely some holes that need to be filled but it is very possible

Mar 12, 2009
The Bruins may look at how the coaches here develop defense before sending Axel to the Rangers.
I mean, Sebgrango has come along very well and after a slow start, the coaches did some tinkering with Vuk and he looked great in the second half. There are negative with this organization, but there are some positives. It's 2 days after the season and everyone's already down about next year. I think we're trending in a better direction than before MM came aboard.
Vukojevic has bite to his game, there were a few shifts in the playoffs where he had 3-4 hit attempts on different players in a 10-15 second stretch. If he brings that more consistently, we'll have some of that "grit". We had an extremely gritty physical player who would have been an OA, but things didn't work out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->