Kitchener Rangers 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I only caught two periods of tonight’s game, I’ll just post a couple things.

Motew - as Josh Brown advertised, very poised with the puck and makes a lot of smart plays. Definitely wants to be involved in the play. Makes good reads in the defensive end.

Fishman - scored twice and probably showed the highest motor on the ice. Quick feet and a willingness to drive the net.

F. Pinelli - great skater, made a few nice moves and also was competing hard and threw some nice hits. Definitely controls the pace offensively when he’s on the ice.

Compernolle - size is tantalizing, but he just doesn’t seem to give a full effort. I would love to see him push his skating more to get in on the forecheck. Just didn’t do anything that stood out beyond his height.

Sebrango had this game on video game mode. Zone entry at will. Exactly what you would expect from him in this setting.

I didn’t see Stannard, I was looking for him after the notes above. Both goalies had good size, Purcell looks very confident and seemed to have good control of his movements. His second goal against he let out a rebound he’d like back I would imagine, at least from my angle it seemed that way.

I’ll be going to the morning game tomorrow as well. Hope to see other people’s thoughts.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And in his article this morning, Brown says that Wu is not at camp because he's trying out for the Georgetown Raiders. Now this is so he has somewhere to play and grow while Rangers go with Richardson and Pfeil? Or are they eyeing one of the goalies in camp? Or none of the above. :confused:

Going to catch the game at camp this morning. Looking forward to seeing Pinelli in action as well as Motew, Fishman, Sop, Van Compernolle, and Martin. Any free agents of interest? We'll see.

Reactions: BenchedGuy

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
And in his article this morning, Brown says that Wu is not at camp because he's trying out for the Georgetown Raiders. Now this is so he has somewhere to play and grow while Rangers go with Richardson and Pfeil? Or are they eyeing one of the goalies in camp? Or none of the above. :confused:

Going to catch the game at camp this morning. Looking forward to seeing Pinelli in action as well as Motew, Fishman, Sop, Van Compernolle, and Martin. Any free agents of interest? We'll see.
Big dman Richardson stood out for me....is he a project?, who knows. I just find it difficult to get any true readings at these Rookie Camp games.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Went to Fridays game to.

My standout player was Fishman.
As other have said, he had vision, some speed, drive to the net and passed well. It also helped that he scored a few.

Pinelli play away from the puck is what impressed me. He is as advertised, a 200 ft player.

One of the FAs that looked good was Gallagher. Fast, high compete that played on the edge. Hoping to hear others comments on him as well.

Last player I will comment on was Motew. Steady on D and was getting shots or passes through traffic. Didnt get caught out of position. Jumped in on the rush a few times.

Hoping other posters can post their thoughts from today's games.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Big dman Richardson stood out for me....is he a project?, who knows. I just find it difficult to get any true readings at these Rookie Camp games.
Ward did you mean Owen Robertson? Big defenseman free agent.. He did look like a good project. Fishman is small but fast and has a nose for the net. He can finish plays nicely. Have to keep the camp in context as it is a rookie camp and some of the free agents and picks from last season are older.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ward did you mean Owen Robertson? Big defenseman free agent.. He did look like a good project. Fishman is small but fast and has a nose for the net. He can finish plays nicely. Have to keep the camp in context as it is a rookie camp and some of the free agents and picks from last season are older.
Yes....Robertson!...thanks Goomba! :)

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Whoops, slept through this mornings game!
Hope someone’s there taking notes

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Josh Brown’s article also mentions that Declan McDonnell is absent because of a family commitment and not because he’s just not reporting. that could be a good sign

Reactions: SYWTom

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I only caught two periods of tonight’s game, I’ll just post a couple things.

Motew - as Josh Brown advertised, very poised with the puck and makes a lot of smart plays. Definitely wants to be involved in the play. Makes good reads in the defensive end.

Fishman - scored twice and probably showed the highest motor on the ice. Quick feet and a willingness to drive the net.

F. Pinelli - great skater, made a few nice moves and also was competing hard and threw some nice hits. Definitely controls the pace offensively when he’s on the ice.

Compernolle - size is tantalizing, but he just doesn’t seem to give a full effort. I would love to see him push his skating more to get in on the forecheck. Just didn’t do anything that stood out beyond his height.

Sebrango had this game on video game mode. Zone entry at will. Exactly what you would expect from him in this setting.

I didn’t see Stannard, I was looking for him after the notes above. Both goalies had good size, Purcell looks very confident and seemed to have good control of his movements. His second goal against he let out a rebound he’d like back I would imagine, at least from my angle it seemed that way.

I’ll be going to the morning game tomorrow as well. Hope to see other people’s thoughts.

The same can be said again today regarding Motew, Fishman and Pinelli the younger.

FA's that stood out for me were Gallagher and Krotiris. Is Stannard a no show or injured?

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I saw Motew, Fishman and Pinelli (Jr) as the obvious standouts ... like everyone. Gallagher was working hard and had good speed and hands ... old-school hockey hair too. Peyton Adams-Matthews had good wheels and played big, Motew and Adams-Matthews were a good defensive pairing.

Van Compernolle had one shift where he looked strong then floated. Purcell started and seemed OK, McBride & D’Alessandro were both white uniformed when head-to-head and I'd say McBride was the bottom G this morning.

Opportunities look to be very tight this year so I'd guess Motew, Fishman and Pinelli sign soon and the very best of the rest might be at main camp.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I saw Motew, Fishman and Pinelli (Jr) as the obvious standouts ... like everyone. Gallagher was working hard and had good speed and hands ... old-school hockey hair too. Peyton Adams-Matthews had good wheels and played big, Motew and Adams-Matthews were a good defensive pairing.

Van Compernolle had one shift where he looked strong then floated. Purcell started and seemed OK, McBride & D’Alessandro were both white uniformed when head-to-head and I'd say McBride was the bottom G this morning.

Opportunities look to be very tight this year so I'd guess Motew, Fishman and Pinelli sign soon and the very best of the rest might be at main camp.
I thought Motew showed some flashes of skill handling the puck in close quarters today. Kent Cummings FA D man has thrown a couple of hard hits. He hit Van Compernolle yesterday and stopped him dead in his tracks. Solid kid. Blackely looks like he has a nice skill set on the back end. Not a big kid by any stretch.

Reactions: K2

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Pinelli should never have gone 13th but I'm so glad he did. What a talent and loved him with Valade this morning. What I saw of Purchell...he looked good...but only played in the 1st. Either they've seen enough and wanted more playing time for the other two goalies...or he's off the list. Who knows.

Motew has an uncanny ability to be in position adjusting to the flow. Not the biggest D but IMHO the most skilled. And Campernolle is one big boy....but jury is out on him. FISHMAN......he has my vote. Fast, elusive, and energized.

Wouldn't be surprised to Motew and Fishman sign. Hope to hear more from tonight's game.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Pinelli should never have gone 13th but I'm so glad he did. What a talent and loved him with Valade this morning. What I saw of Purchell...he looked good...but only played in the 1st. Either they've seen enough and wanted more playing time for the other two goalies...or he's off the list. Who knows.

Motew has an uncanny ability to be in position adjusting to the flow. Not the biggest D but IMHO the most skilled. And Campernolle is one big boy....but jury is out on him. FISHMAN......he has my vote. Fast, elusive, and energized.

Wouldn't be surprised to Motew and Fishman sign. Hope to hear more from tonight's game.
IMHO if a 16 yr old American is a relatively high pick and impresses in camp the team should try to sign him at that time.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
IMHO if a 16 yr old American is a relatively high pick and impresses in camp the team should try to sign him at that time.

Yeah absolutely, I think he will be one of the 16 year olds this year along with Pinelli. Not sure we will see any others on the team next season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Yeah absolutely, I think he will be one of the 16 year olds this year along with Pinelli. Not sure we will see any others on the team next season.

everyone’s making it sound like Fishman might open himself up a spot. I can think of at least 3 forwards that it’s sounding like he could push out of a spot (although 1 never really had one)

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
everyone’s making it sound like Fishman might open himself up a spot. I can think of at least 3 forwards that it’s sounding like he could push out of a spot (although 1 never really had one)

I guess a trade would have to happen IMO. Or someone not return that we don’t yet know about.

Gotta see a trade for a defenseman coming at some point. Stay at home veteran would be great

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
if the season started today, I think the lineup looks something like this:

Garreffa-Damiani-Stepien (just fill Joey in Hugg’s spot)
Petizian-Meireles-Yantsis (same as last year)
Pinelli-Langdon-Valade (Pinelli/Langdon interchangeable at centre)
Tresoor/Gordon-Fishman/Serpa-Dickerson/Winsor (play for ice time, Winsor not here this weekend probably due to the travel)

Vukojevic-Xhekaj (Xhekaj similar to Cameron)
MacPherson-Sebrango (played well together for a bit last season)
Rupoli-Motew (shut down with a puck mover)

Pfeil (obviously subject to change)
Purcell (see above)

take this with a grain of salt as trades are very much possible still as well as 2 open import cards. I included Matt Gordon in this as even though he’s played 11 OHL games ever, he was at least playing in the 2nd half of the season where as Tresoor’s season was cut short at 26 games

I’d like to see a depth forward added, a shut down d man to push Xhekaj a bit down the lineup and obviously a goalie

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
if the season started today, I think the lineup looks something like this:

Garreffa-Damiani-Stepien (just fill Joey in Hugg’s spot)
Petizian-Meireles-Yantsis (same as last year)
Pinelli-Langdon-Valade (Pinelli/Langdon interchangeable at centre)
Tresoor/Gordon-Fishman/Serpa-Dickerson/Winsor (play for ice time, Winsor not here this weekend probably due to the travel)

Vukojevic-Xhekaj (Xhekaj similar to Cameron)
MacPherson-Sebrango (played well together for a bit last season)
Rupoli-Motew (shut down with a puck mover)

Pfeil (obviously subject to change)
Purcell (see above)

take this with a grain of salt as trades are very much possible still as well as 2 open import cards. I included Matt Gordon in this as even though he’s played 11 OHL games ever, he was at least playing in the 2nd half of the season where as Tresoor’s season was cut short at 26 games

I’d like to see a depth forward added, a shut down d man to push Xhekaj a bit down the lineup and obviously a goalie

Top three lines sure fill things out quickly....and that's without imports as noted. IF an import goalie and an import D are in the cards, that alters things a bit but for sure, it would be nice to have players playing for ice time both in forward and defense positions.

And I like that 3rd line of Pinelli-Langdon-Valade.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Top three lines sure fill things out quickly....and that's without imports as noted. IF an import goalie and an import D are in the cards, that alters things a bit but for sure, it would be nice to have players playing for ice time both in forward and defense positions.

And I like that 3rd line of Pinelli-Langdon-Valade.

As do I. haven’t seen Pinelli play yet but he sounds like a more defensively responsible Lipanov

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If we get the three OA forwards back, I see us likely trying to contend. If that is the case, even though I'd have 16 year olds Pinelli, Motew and Fishman penciled onto the roster, I see some hard decisions that would have to be made.

We could see Fishman split his time between here and JrB (not necessarily on a B card).

Also, bubble players like Dickerson, Gordon, Rupoli, and Tresoor may be on the outside looking in. Especially if and when we trade for a couple vets as we approach the deadline (a F and D). But we will have to make decisions on bubble players a lot earlier than that. We don't want to fall into the same situation that London did last year with their card situation at the deadline.

Based on his play in his post season that still continues, Serpa may have jumped ahead of these bubble guys.

Opening day:

Garrreffa. Damiani. Stepien.
Petizian. Meireles. Yantsis.
Import. Langdon. Valade.
Tresoor. Pinelli. Serpa.
Fishman.

Vukojevic. MacPherson.
Sebrango. Import.
Xhekaj. Motew.
Rupoli.

Pfiel
Rookie

Don't forget, we will be adding a couple import players. One that bumps Rupoli out of the starting six. The other would likely bump Fishman or Tresoor out of the starting 12.

Reactions: Gondrex

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If we get the three OA forwards back, I see us likely trying to contend. If that is the case, even though I'd have 16 year olds Pinelli, Motew and Fishman penciled onto the roster, I see some hard decisions that would have to be made.

We could see Fishman split his time between here and JrB (not necessarily on a B card).

Also, bubble players like Dickerson, Gordon, Rupoli, and Tresoor may be on the outside looking in. Especially if and when we trade for a couple vets as we approach the deadline (a F and D). But we will have to make decisions on bubble players a lot earlier than that. We don't want to fall into the same situation that London did last year with their card situation at the deadline.

Based on his play in his post season that still continues, Serpa may have jumped ahead of these bubble guys.

Opening day:

Import. Langdon. Valade.
Tresoor. Pinelli. Serpa.
Fishman.

Vukojevic. MacPherson.
Sebrango. Import.
Xhekaj. Motew.
Rupoli.

Pfiel
Rookie

Don't forget, we will be adding a couple import players. One that bumps Rupoli out of the starting six. The other would likely bump Fishman or Tresoor out of the starting 12.
I would have right now these 3 raw rookies in the lineup..Pinelli, Fishman and Motew. A team should have at least 3 16 yrs olds in the lineup...maybe not play a lot but what they use to call an "energy line". There are a few vets that can be packaged maybe along with a pick or two for more picks or 19 yr old dman who would be back for an OA yr. One of the worst things a GM can do is fall in love with veteran players returning.
Dakota Betts has been one of the best Dman at this camp but that could be more due to age and experience than anything else. Declan McDonnell if he does come should also be getting plenty of icetime.
Purcell has been the best goalie at this camp, just wish Wu was here to see in action. Missed this am game but did Purcell get the entire game this am? I believe he played a full game last night and is looking good for another full game now.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Opening day:

Import. Langdon. Valade.
Tresoor. Pinelli. Serpa.
Fishman.

Vukojevic. MacPherson.
Sebrango. Import.
Xhekaj. Motew.
Rupoli.

Pfiel
Rookie

the Lipanov trade will come back to bite the Rangers if they do end up going for it. Motew is clearly a good player but history shows that 16 year old D are usually watching in April and May (even Evan Bouchard was a healthy scratch in the Knights 2016 run).

My point is that even with this solid team on paper, there’s room for improvement. I hope that if they do go for an import forward, he’s playing on a higher spot than the 3rd line. Say you get a guy that can play up there with Damiani and Stepien, you can put Joey G with Valade and Langdon and that allows you to roll out your first 3 lines in waves and it will be hard to contain. Even then I would hope that they can add some experience on that 4th line and make them a scoring threat.

Hear me out on this (it might not be popular), but if we add an import to play LW, a top 6 RW via trade & a cheap, older LW, you can have a 4th line of (trade)-Pinelli-Stepien. You have to have 4 lines that can go out every night and all produce in the OHL (see Ottawa). It wouldn’t necessarily mean that they will play 6 minutes a night like the NHL playoffs, but provides a good balance and allows you to keep your top lines from burning out in the 3rd round

Mar 12, 2009
the Lipanov trade will come back to bite the Rangers if they do end up going for it. Motew is clearly a good player but history shows that 16 year old D are usually watching in April and May (even Evan Bouchard was a healthy scratch in the Knights 2016 run).
Not sure I agree. MM has already recouped those picks when he traded this past drafts 3rd for a 4th of that draft (motew, fishman or martin) and 2 third round picks (2020 + 2024).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->