Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What should we expect today? I'd appreciate a report.

High end speed, a team that is active in trying to break up plays in the neutral zone and turn it into a counter attack, a defense that is showing a lot of promise but has some early season warts, a goalie that is putting in a ton of work each night and looks amazing. Pretty solid first 3 lines, all have threats on them. Our PP has been underwhelming thus far but hopefully for our sake they can take advantage of their opportunities today.

I dunno, we are just a pretty solid OHL team still trying to find its way in the early stages of the season.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Do you know if there was a reason given? It might have to do with it being thanksgiving, but I’m not sure.

Currently, this year there will be a handful of games not shown for no really good reason.

They did not show a game earlier this year but instead chose to show I believe either a local University football game or I think a Guelph Storm game. That would not have happened in the past.

Rangers just about always took precedent - especially home games.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
What should we expect today? I'd appreciate a report.

Unbeaten at home. Strong goaltending and all lines starting to gel. Finally got off to a quick start last Friday after several slow starts. Lots of skill up front. Valade back today giving as 3 strong lines. I imagine we will be focusing on big Quint today.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Do you know if there was a reason given? It might have to do with it being thanksgiving, but I’m not sure.

The game is not on today and there's no real good reason why. We're not showing a Guelph game or football game or any other live event. From what I understand, we are showing a rerun of a local debate.

The pessimist/conspiracy theorist in me has me believing that they are not showing this game today because attendance usually is down a bit every year since it's the holiday. Many people are spending time with families and can't/choose not to fit in the game - especially if they have visitors, or if they are out of town themselves.

It's actually a low blow to not show the game. Wouldn't it be nice if you did have visitors and unable to get to the game, that you could all tune in and watch the game on TV?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The game is not on today and there's no real good reason why. We're not showing a Guelph game or football game or any other live event. From what I understand, we are showing a rerun of a local debate.

The pessimist/conspiracy theorist in me has me believing that they are not showing this game today because attendance usually is down a bit every year since it's the holiday. Many people are spending time with families and can't/choose not to fit in the game - especially if they have visitors, or if they are out of town themselves.

It's actually a low blow to not show the game. Wouldn't it be nice if you did have visitors and unable to get to the game, that you could all tune in and watch the game on TV?
2 reasons - Rogers has announced they are cutting back games to save money and you have to remember these are all mostly volunteers that work these games ( a lot of students) so nice to see them get the holiday off to be with their families because they would not be paid to be there anyway. My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
2 reasons - Rogers has announced they are cutting back games to save money and you have to remember these are all mostly volunteers that work these games ( a lot of students) so nice to see them get the holiday off to be with their families because they would not be paid to be there anyway. My 2 cents for what it is worth.
I wish the games were still broadcast in HD. Our provider still does.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
All that plus I suspect with Oktoberfest starting that most of the cameras were assigned elsewhere.
Ziggy ziggy hoi hoi

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ville had an amazing game today. Heard on the post game show that his family was in town for the weekend. Awesome that they got to see his first goal live!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
What a game today on Thanksgiving Monday. BOOM!!! Rangers serve notice and demolish Sudbury 7-3.

Great game but much closer than the score showed. If not for the difference in goaltending between the two teams, the score is a lot closer and possibly a Sudbury win.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Declan MacDonnell is fast becoming one of my favourites. That third goal was all him and his relentless pursuit of the puck. Never gave up on the play. Caused the turnover resulting in a great scoring chance for Hawel. That's the work ethic I want to see throughout the lineup. The kid is the type who can lead by example!

With all that in mind, I wonder if he hasn't supplanted Langdon on the depth chart. Langdon has missed the last few games. The only explanation I've heard is that they were "giving him the night off ". I get it for one game, but all weekend? It's an eyebrow raiser for me. No mention of injury. Guys like D Rupoli playing minutes at F ahead of him.

Could it be that guys like MacDonnell and Pinelli have bumped Langdon down the depth chart so much so that he's become expendable? That he is earmarked to be moved for veteran help?

Not even speculation on my part. Just asking. But sometimes, where there's fire. .......

It was rumoured (OHLinsiders) during the preseason that discussions took place between the Rangers and Petes regarding SDA and his supposedly wanting a trade. The ask was one of Valade or Langdon. If SDA actually does want to be moved (find that hard to believe considering how he's charged out of the gate), is it possible we see MM make such a deal? Surely his stock has gone up since the start of the season.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It was rumoured (OHLinsiders) during the preseason that discussions took place between the Rangers and Petes regarding SDA and his supposedly wanting a trade. The ask was one of Valade or Langdon. If SDA actually does want to be moved (find that hard to believe considering how he's charged out of the gate), is it possible we see MM make such a deal? Surely his stock has gone up since the start of the season.

Langdon's stock? I don't think it has gone up since the start of the season. He is a solid player but I think there would need to be much more in a package for SDA

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Langdon's stock? I don't think it has gone up since the start of the season. He is a solid player but I think there would need to be much more in a package for SDA

I am guessing that Even is referring to SDA's stock due to his hot start, and the odds that the price to get him has gone up. My concern is that Langdon's has gone DOWN as well. I feel that he has never been the same since that injury last year.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener

The reason is Rogers is cutting back due to costs. Even with volunteers, the cost to televise a game is high. Fans are not willing to pay for a subscription to watch the games, so get used to fewer and fewer games unless you're willing to pay to see them.

570 News has every game on the radio. The Rangers update the game instantly on Twitter and Instagram.

This has nothing to do with the Rangers.

Reactions: MediaCritic

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What a game today on Thanksgiving Monday. BOOM!!! Rangers serve notice and demolish Sudbury 7-3.
Ha you’re funny. Swap goalies and then talk to me about what the score would have been. I’d take a seven game series any day. With OHL goaltending that is.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Declan MacDonnell is fast becoming one of my favourites. That third goal was all him and his relentless pursuit of the puck. Never gave up on the play. Caused the turnover resulting in a great scoring chance for Hawel. That's the work ethic I want to see throughout the lineup. The kid is the type who can lead by example!

With all that in mind, I wonder if he hasn't supplanted Langdon on the depth chart. Langdon has missed the last few games. The only explanation I've heard is that they were "giving him the night off ". I get it for one game, but all weekend? It's an eyebrow raiser for me. No mention of injury. Guys like D Rupoli playing minutes at F ahead of him.

Could it be that guys like MacDonnell and Pinelli have bumped Langdon down the depth chart so much so that he's become expendable? That he is earmarked to be moved for veteran help?

Not even speculation on my part. Just asking. But sometimes, where there's fire. .......

Farwell tweeted that he’s out with a lower body injury. if I’m Jay McKee, which I’m not, McDonnell and Pinelli have surpassed Langdon. Petizian and Stepien are putting points up. It is unfair to any of these 4 to put them on the 4th line, unless there is a trade for a top 6 guy that moves everyone down a spot

Mar 12, 2009
It's been less than 10 games and Langdon hasn't played in some of them. It's so early that I'm really not worried about his stock and I don't think anyone has bumped him down so far that he's going to be off the roster, that he would be traded at bellow-value of a 2nd year former 2nd round pick who looked solid if not spectacular in the games I saw.
The reason is Rogers is cutting back due to costs. Even with volunteers, the cost to televise a game is high. Fans are not willing to pay for a subscription to watch the games, so get used to fewer and fewer games unless you're willing to pay to see them.

570 News has every game on the radio. The Rangers update the game instantly on Twitter and Instagram.

This has nothing to do with the Rangers.
Well it's the only reason I kept cable when I moved out, easy decision to ax that subscription if the games get to few and far between.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I am guessing that Even is referring to SDA's stock due to his hot start, and the odds that the price to get him has gone up. My concern is that Langdon's has gone DOWN as well. I feel that he has never been the same since that injury last year.

Yeah that would make far more sense!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Ha you’re funny. Swap goalies and then talk to me about what the score would have been. I’d take a seven game series any day. With OHL goaltending that is.

So you have another goalie other than Weeks and Purboo? Seems to me Sudbury swapped them more than once. Ranger goals were all skill....and not luck....unlike the Stillman "goal" that was assisted by the referee when Iggy stopped and cleared the puck. Rangers have been on the other end of a beat down. Trust me we have and we didn't like it either. It was Sudbury's turn on Tuesday.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The Langdon talk is all way premature. He's a few games removed from his 16 year old season and has been battling an injury. He will be fine. And he is not likely to get moved any time soon. This is the one OHL team he was willing to shred his NCAA commitment for. They'll have lots of patience with him and based on his trajectory so far, there's really no reason not to.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
With Ottawa slowish start do you think that they would be interested in Joey. Plus I believe if OTT is interested we might get a bidding war between them and PBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad