Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Despite not hitting the scoresheet, I think that is the best game I've seen Pinelli play all season. He put himself in postion for 3-4 very good scoring chances, and set players up for another 2-3. He created a lot of turnovers with a very active stick on the forecheck. Seemed to be in good position to intercept opposing team passes.
I was going to the say the exact same thing. I think his play in the neutral zone is what really stood out for me, as you said; positioning and an active stick broke up a lot of Windsor's momentum. He could have also easily had one or two goals tonight.

Going to be a treat watching this guy for the next couple of seasons!

Reactions: GeoBlue

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
On the note of what MM should do this season in terms of buying or selling, I think it is very clear what his intentions are. As said here before, MM has spent resources to bring in older talent, this is going to be a go for it year. Also this team is only going to get better as is in its current state. The D is coming into stride together nicely and the forward core has a lot of new faces, in a month or two I bet they are performing even better.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Good first 8 minutes tonight, then we got passive and let them come at us in waves it felt.

Enjoyable game all around, liked the play of Sebrango a lot. Really liked the treatment of some of the Spitfires who had a bit too much to say!

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
The call on Stepien was for diving not tripping.
But not diving.....like many players last night, there was a lot of slipping and sliding due to crappy ice. There were some questionable calls last night not to mention non-calls. You know....the usual stuff. lol

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And we were missing 2/3rds of Rangers third line last night.....Valade AND Langdon. Once they're back, that will give the opposition more to think about. Should also note that Owen Sound beat London in OT last night. The only thing about the Rangers against OS is that they were up 3-1 and let their foot off the gas. Tonight against the Spits, the second period was not great for the Rangers and Windsor took full advantage....except for scoring thanks to the incredible play of Iggy. I thought the Rangers 3rd period was much better and came very close to scoring at least three goals. Credits to Medina...the kid stood on his head.

Side note.......the OHL has Kitchener winning 4-3 in their highlights. SIGH........

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
On the note of what MM should do this season in terms of buying or selling, I think it is very clear what his intentions are. As said here before, MM has spent resources to bring in older talent, this is going to be a go for it year. Also this team is only going to get better as is in its current state. The D is coming into stride together nicely and the forward core has a lot of new faces, in a month or two I bet they are performing even better.

That is the hope. ;-)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
MM doesn't have a lot of assets left to bring in high end help for this year. Three 2nds and six 3rds over the next five years.

Unless we part with a young player, we may be out of the running for an Akil Thomas or the like.

We may have to bring in a lesser top six F. I like the Porco idea. He hasn't put up the offence of a Thomas so he'd be cheaper but you gamble that he turns into an elite F between now and the end of the season and being an 01, into next year.

I agree the D is coming around. Sebrango looks more and more at home on he PP. Ottavainen is progressing quicker than I thought he would. Just have to lock it down better in our own end to reduce the chances against.

Random thoughts:

MacDonnell is as advertised. Love the work ethic. Isn't over his head on the second line.
Agree with the thoughts on Pinelli above.
Geez, is there a faster player in the league than Meireles?
And this is the best goaltending that we've had in a long time.
Fishman and Serpa I like a lot. Just wish we could find them more icetime.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Good for Guelph in the Lalonde trade:
Flint just gave up a former 3rd round pick, 2 2nd rounders plus conditional 2nd and 5th.

I think that’s a steep price for a stay at home D, but he has championship experience. Unfortunately this doesn’t help us as it IMO raises our costs going towards the deadline.

Reactions: LR8

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
But not diving.....like many players last night, there was a lot of slipping and sliding due to crappy ice. There were some questionable calls last night not to mention non-calls. You know....the usual stuff. lol
Agreed - The diving call was the opinion of the ref - I'm not really going to defend it or deny it - OHL reffing is what it is.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Flint just gave up a former 3rd round pick, 2 2nd rounders plus conditional 2nd and 5th.

I think that’s a steep price for a stay at home D, but he has championship experience. Unfortunately this doesn’t help us as it IMO raises our costs going towards the deadline.

That is why I would take a wait and see approach. If we are solid and in contention coming into the trade deadline, we pull the trigger and bring in an Akil Thomas. But if not, certainly we should be pointing to the Lalonde trade if we sell off our OA's and Damiani. Our cupboard would be well stocked.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

Lalonde is kind of a bona fide stay at home guy. 41 points last season. still has another year after this one. and you gotta pay the championship tax.

Bianconi could use the change of scenery. closer to home, should be a good team in a couple of years in Guelph

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Unless we part with a young player, we may be out of the running for an Akil Thomas or the like.

We may have to bring in a lesser top six F. I like the Porco idea. He hasn't put up the offence of a Thomas so he'd be cheaper but you gamble that he turns into an elite F between now and the end of the season and being an 01, into next year.

My feeling is that if we are going for it, we do not go in half-heartedly. We throw all the chips out and bring in Thomas or the like. If we start gambling on players like Porco, not only do we lose the assets to get him but also lose prospective picks we could have gotten if we were sellers.

Random thoughts:

MacDonnell is as advertised. Love the work ethic. Isn't over his head on the second line.
And this is the best goaltending that we've had in a long time.

Agree with your game assessments. Last time we had goaltending like this was with Gibson in the nets. (Sorry, Mario!) I just hope we don't burn Iggy out. He sure is seeing a lot of puck in the games he has played. Hoping D steps up in the coming weeks.

Small thing, but I was impressed with Vuk on the Fishman goal. First thing he did was go flying towards the opposition net to retrieve the puck. That is the makings of a leader.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My feeling is that if we are going for it, we do not go in half-heartedly. We throw all the chips out and bring in Thomas or the like. If we start gambling on players like Porco, not only do we lose the assets to get him but also lose prospective picks we could have gotten if we were sellers.

Agree with your game assessments. Last time we had goaltending like this was with Gibson in the nets. (Sorry, Mario!) I just hope we don't burn Iggy out. He sure is seeing a lot of puck in the games he has played. Hoping D steps up in the coming weeks.

Small thing, but I was impressed with Vuk on the Fishman goal. First thing he did was go flying towards the opposition net to retrieve the puck. That is the makings of a leader.

I agree that it would be ideal going after a Thomas, but he's going to cost us more than the picks we have in the cupboard. He was a 100+ point guy last year. Likely at or near the top of the league points wise this year. That player won't come cheap. Can we afford him? Niagara will want to hit a home run in any deal involving him as their asset pool is very thin. I'm betting they'll aim for close to the return they gave up for Robertson last year.

We cannot afford that unless we include young player(s). We won't move Pinelli. So we're looking at a higher end 02 the other way. Langdon. Valade. MacDonnell. These are the guys they'd target. One of these, along with maybe a Serpa, plus picks.

People on here talk of trading Joey's rights. I have too. But the longer that drags out, the less we get in return. The closer to the deadline, the value goes down because teams know we'll have to eventually release him anyway. We got peanuts a few year ago at the deadline for Julien Melchiori, a top four OA d-man, for that very reason.

We can't depend on the same return for Joey that we gave up for Hawel for very much longer.

Also, if I'm Niagara, I want to move Thomas sooner than the deadline to maximize the return. They acquired Robertson in November and paid a premium doing so. I expect the same strategy in a Thomas deal. With this in mind, we cannot wait to see "who we are" (MM decided who we are in dealing for Ingham and Hawel). While we do that, he could end up in London or Saginaw - or maybe Flint now that they're looking to be all in.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
MM doesn't have a lot of assets left to bring in high end help for this year. Three 2nds and six 3rds over the next five years.

I agree the D is coming around. Sebrango looks more and more at home on he PP. Ottavainen is progressing quicker than I thought he would. Just have to lock it down better in our own end to reduce the chances against.

Random thoughts:

And this is the best goaltending that we've had in a long time

Couldn't agree more on your random thoughts. Bit by bit the newbies are adapting to the Rangers. Add in Langdon and Valade....very promising. Also, Ottavainen just keeps getting better and better. Last night, I really noticed his calm efficiency during some mad rushes into the Rangers zone. While it was a frenzy around him, he focused on his job and dismantled the play. And what can you say about Iggy??? He fights for that puck....he wants that puck...and has to be an inspiration to the whole team. Very impressed.

Mar 12, 2009
Does anyone know what attendance is usually like for thanksgiving monday games? Thinking of going but wondering what the odds are I'll be able to just walk in a get a ticket about an hour before game time.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Does anyone know what attendance is usually like for thanksgiving monday games? Thinking of going but wondering what the odds are I'll be able to just walk in a get a ticket about an hour before game time.
Any time I've gone the place is half full so you should have no issue getting a ticket!

Reactions: Torgo

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I don't think it should be a problem to get a ticket.

Reactions: Torgo

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
A few things I'm looking for some clarification on for post-trade deadline:

1) does Toronto JRC own Jesse Fishman's rights still or do the Siskins/Dutchmen get him once he signs with the Rangers?

2) could the Siskins cut one of their 03s and have Fishman?

I'm wondering because Fishman is already getting limited ice time & presumably soon they will have 13 actual forwards for the first time this season. under the assumption that Fishman and Serpa will be the in and out 12th forward guys, as Dickerson has impressed me on the PK. say they add a top 6 forward and a depth forward (because all in means all in), Fishman probably doesn't see the ice for the rest of the season unless there are like 3 guys injured (which is possible). point being, there's a reigning Sutherland Cup Championship team that has top 6 minutes and PP for Jesse written all over it (1-9-1-0 start to the season, yikes) but they have 2 03s as it is, neither very productive but 1 being a 3rd round pick to the Knights (he'$ not going anywhere)

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Couldn't agree more on your random thoughts. Bit by bit the newbies are adapting to the Rangers. Add in Langdon and Valade....very promising. Also, Ottavainen just keeps getting better and better. Last night, I really noticed his calm efficiency during some mad rushes into the Rangers zone. While it was a frenzy around him, he focused on his job and dismantled the play. And what can you say about Iggy??? He fights for that puck....he wants that puck...and has to be an inspiration to the whole team. Very impressed.
I thought goalies love tons of shots?.
Keeps them in the game and razor sharp.
Looking forward to seeing you guys in London on Nov.17.
Rangers vs LK are my favourite games.
Cheers

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I thought goalies love tons of shots?.
Keeps them in the game and razor sharp.
Looking forward to seeing you guys in London on Nov.17.
Rangers vs LK are my favourite games.
Cheers

he’s been pretty consistently getting 40-45 a night. early on, it’s been good for him, but it’s not something that i’d expect a 19 year old to be able to sustain all season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad