Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Can't help but wonder if MM has an eye on Adam Fantilli......former team mate of Francesco Pinnelli.

Adam Fantilli at eliteprospects.com

Never happen. With the current defective player rule, no way he slips to us (17th pick) in the first round. Someone will take him.

We do not have the assets to trade for him as a defective player (zero 2nds available to trade).

Sure it would be nice, but a pipe dream at best.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We’ll get who we get at 17. Would be nice if another Pinelli dropped that low, or if a guy ranked around 17 turned into a Robertson or McMicheal type who was drafted late in the 1st round.

But MM needs to hit home runs with at least two of our three 3rds. These guys, along with our 1st will need to play rolls in 21-22 much like what our 02’s played this year for us to contend. Valade, Sebrango, and McDonnell were very good secondary players this year.

Our other 02’s like Langdon, Serpa and Ottavainen not so much, though there’s still time for them to develop. There’s quality there but they wouldn’t have been valuable contributors in the same way that the aforementioned would have been.

The reason we need to hit HR’s with these three is because of our thin draft cupboard, we won’t have the luxury of trading our way into contention in 21-22 the way we did this year (starting with the Ingham trade). We’ll be able to make one big move (Noel type) with the assets that a Vukojovic deal will bring.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Never happen. With the current defective player rule, no way he slips to us (17th pick) in the first round. Someone will take him.

We do not have the assets to trade for him as a defective player (zero 2nds available to trade).

Sure it would be nice, but a pipe dream at best.
Well burst my bubble!! A guy can dream...

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I think realistically we’re at the point where we can start looking at next season. I’m hopeful that we can see playoff hockey, but all things considered, I don’t see the likelihood of it. going into next season, my projected lineup would be

Valade-Petizian-McDonnell
Pinelli-Langdon-Serpa
Sop-Fishman-Dickerson
Martin-?-?

Vukojevic-Sebrango
MacPherson-Ottavainen
Xhekaj-Motew/Wale

Pfeil/?

I don’t think Serpa will be a top 6 forward on any team come August. I do however think he’d be a stud 3C. use the import slot they get from Axel Bergkvist not returning and grab an 02/03 left-handed centre or left winger (so Valade can play his strong side). and use the first round pick to grab another forward.

having 3 3rds is interesting. MM had 3 4ths in last draft and I don’t think anyone can complain with what he turned a few 4th round picks into with Motew, Fishman and Martin. realistically, all 3 of these players could have played on an average OHL team this season & MM grabbed them in the 80-90 range. the bar should be set high with 3 3rds this go around. I’d expect him to take a risk on an American player with one of the picks. but with the other 2, I’d like to see a forward and a defence grabbed. see if the forward can grab a spot in camp and the D man will likely play junior and potentially get some games in as an AP.

I’m guessing they don’t want to have Simon Motew in and out of the lineup again all season as well. my guess is they explore a summer/early season trade to move Vukojevic out for max value. potentially explore moving out Wale or MacPherson during the season as well.

there’s so many if factors in goaltending that I don’t even think I could cover them all. but if all these moves do go down the season starts off like:

Pinelli-Import-Valade
Petizian-Langdon-McDonnell
Sop-Serpa-Fishman
Martin-04-Dickerson/04

Xhekaj-Sebrango
MacPherson-Ottavainen
Wale-Motew

depending on what happens with the goalies, I see a team like this finishing similar to what the 18-19 team did

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I think realistically we’re at the point where we can start looking at next season. I’m hopeful that we can see playoff hockey, but all things considered, I don’t see the likelihood of it. going into next season, my projected lineup would be

Valade-Petizian-McDonnell
Pinelli-Langdon-Serpa
Sop-Fishman-Dickerson
Martin-?-?

Vukojevic-Sebrango
MacPherson-Ottavainen
Xhekaj-Motew/Wale

Pfeil/?

I don’t think Serpa will be a top 6 forward on any team come August. I do however think he’d be a stud 3C. use the import slot they get from Axel Bergkvist not returning and grab an 02/03 left-handed centre or left winger (so Valade can play his strong side). and use the first round pick to grab another forward.

having 3 3rds is interesting. MM had 3 4ths in last draft and I don’t think anyone can complain with what he turned a few 4th round picks into with Motew, Fishman and Martin. realistically, all 3 of these players could have played on an average OHL team this season & MM grabbed them in the 80-90 range. the bar should be set high with 3 3rds this go around. I’d expect him to take a risk on an American player with one of the picks. but with the other 2, I’d like to see a forward and a defence grabbed. see if the forward can grab a spot in camp and the D man will likely play junior and potentially get some games in as an AP.

I’m guessing they don’t want to have Simon Motew in and out of the lineup again all season as well. my guess is they explore a summer/early season trade to move Vukojevic out for max value. potentially explore moving out Wale or MacPherson during the season as well.

there’s so many if factors in goaltending that I don’t even think I could cover them all. but if all these moves do go down the season starts off like:

Pinelli-Import-Valade
Petizian-Langdon-McDonnell
Sop-Serpa-Fishman
Martin-04-Dickerson/04

Xhekaj-Sebrango
MacPherson-Ottavainen
Wale-Motew

depending on what happens with the goalies, I see a team like this finishing similar to what the 18-19 team did

And then the wild cards that could be enticed to sign:

Roman Schmidt (D) who could be quite content playing in the USHL and heading to Boston U

perhaps Caden Brown (F) although in 2018, he said he was going to take a different path than Logan and that meant not the OHL

the mystery of Justin Wu, ranked as one of the top goalies in the 2019 draft but fell off the face of the hockey world for the 2019-2020 season

and of course, Colin Purchell, who appears to be heading for the University of Massachusetts NCCA Div 1.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
We’ll get who we get at 17. Would be nice if another Pinelli dropped that low, or if a guy ranked around 17 turned into a Robertson or McMicheal type who was drafted late in the 1st round.

But MM needs to hit home runs with at least two of our three 3rds. These guys, along with our 1st will need to play rolls in 21-22 much like what our 02’s played this year for us to contend. Valade, Sebrango, and McDonnell were very good secondary players this year.

Our other 02’s like Langdon, Serpa and Ottavainen not so much, though there’s still time for them to develop. There’s quality there but they wouldn’t have been valuable contributors in the same way that the aforementioned would have been.

The reason we need to hit HR’s with these three is because of our thin draft cupboard, we won’t have the luxury of trading our way into contention in 21-22 the way we did this year (starting with the Ingham trade). We’ll be able to make one big move (Noel type) with the assets that a Vukojovic deal will bring.

The injury curse has hurt Langdon this season. You'd see him just starting to settle in and then BAM...out. It looked like he was coming on again near the end of this shortened season. I still like Serpa and think he will step it up in the new season. As for Ottavainen, he started out so well and then injuries seemed to set him back. I always felt something was off after that and that maybe he just wasn't as healthy as one might think. We'll see.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Next year:

OA’s:
RC-Damiani*
RW-Noel*
LD-MacPherson
LD-Wale
G-Ingham*
G-Pfiel
*= not expected back

01’s:
LC-Petizian
RW-Dickerson
LD-Vukojovic
LD-Xhekaj
G-Hasley*

02’s:
LC-Langdon
RC-Serpa
RW-Valade
RW-McDonnell
LD-Sebrango
RD-Ottavainen
G-McBride*
G-Purcell*
RW-VanCompernolle*

03’s:
LC-Pinelli
LW-Sop
RC-Fishman
LW-Martin
LD-Motew
F-Import
RD-Schmidt*
G-Wu*
LC-Brown*
LD-Schade*

*= unsigned

04’s:
1st (17th) - F
3rd (42nd) - D
3rd (47th) - G or D
3rd (53rd) -F

-Dickerson may be waived but could stick around as a depth F.

-I move Vukojovic as early as possible, hopefully in the off season, to get the biggest return possible.

-I keep Pfiel in the mix until the net is straightened out. If we sign two of Wu, Hasley, Purcell, McBride, we can part with Pfiel and keep both OA D. If we only get one signed, maybe hang onto Pfiel to share the net. I may use one of our 3rds on April 4th on a G as well. Either that or another D.

-If we’re keeping Pfiel, I move out an OA D and bring in an OA LW. This OA forward will be of the same calibre of the OA D moved out. We’re rebuilding. I’m not burning our limited assets on a player who won’t be here in 21-22.

-I draft an 03 born import forward.

-I move left shot Langdon to the left side beside Petizian to allow him a more prominent role and to make room on the third line at C for Serpa. That incoming import F could eventually be high end enough to unseat Langdon or the OA from the top six.

-Of course, there’s always a good chance that we sign a past drafted player and/or a FA. We’ve been successful with FA’s lately (Gentles,Yantsis, Xhekaj)

OA-Pinelli-Valade
Langdon-Petizian-McDonnell
Import ‘03-Serpa-Fishman
Martin-Sop-Dickerson-04 -04

OA(Mac or Wale)-Xhekaj
Sebrango-Ottavainen
Motew-04

Pfiel?
?

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Next year:

OA’s:
RC-Damiani*
RW-Noel*
LD-MacPherson
LD-Wale
G-Ingham*
G-Pfiel
*= not expected back

01’s:
LC-Petizian
RW-Dickerson
LD-Vukojovic
LD-Xhekaj
G-Hasley*

02’s:
LC-Langdon
RC-Serpa
RW-Valade
RW-McDonnell
LD-Sebrango
RD-Ottavainen
G-McBride*
G-Purcell*
RW-VanCompernolle*

03’s:
LC-Pinelli
LW-Sop
RC-Fishman
LW-Martin
LD-Motew
F-Import
RD-Schmidt*
G-Wu*
LC-Brown*
LD-Schade*

*= unsigned

04’s:
1st (17th) - F
3rd (42nd) - D
3rd (47th) - G or D
3rd (53rd) -F

-Dickerson may be waived but could stick around as a depth F.

-I move Vukojovic as early as possible, hopefully in the off season, to get the biggest return possible.

-I keep Pfiel in the mix until the net is straightened out. If we sign two of Wu, Hasley, Purcell, McBride, we can part with Pfiel and keep both OA D. If we only get one signed, maybe hang onto Pfiel to share the net. I may use one of our 3rds on April 4th on a G as well. Either that or another D.

-If we’re keeping Pfiel, I move out an OA D and bring in an OA LW. This OA forward will be of the same calibre of the OA D moved out. We’re rebuilding. I’m not burning our limited assets on a player who won’t be here in 21-22.

-I draft an 03 born import forward.

-I move left shot Langdon to the left side beside Petizian to allow him a more prominent role and to make room on the third line at C for Serpa. That incoming import F could eventually be high end enough to unseat Langdon or the OA from the top six.

-Of course, there’s always a good chance that we sign a past drafted player and/or a FA. We’ve been successful with FA’s lately (Gentles,Yantsis, Xhekaj)

OA-Pinelli-Valade
Langdon-Petizian-McDonnell
Import ‘03-Serpa-Fishman
Martin-Sop-Dickerson-04 -04

OA(Mac or Wale)-Xhekaj
Sebrango-Ottavainen
Motew-04

Pfiel?
?
You can cross off Kyle Van Compernolle
Nanaimo Clippers sign Kyle Van Compernolle - Nanaimo Clippers

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
assuming that the draft database is correct and that I did this correctly, the Rangers should have picks 17, 42, 46, 52, 63, 66 in the first 4 rounds.

MM was able to get Motew, Fishman and Martin with picks 75, 79, 81 last year.

I'm beyond excited to see what he can do with this draft

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
is there a u18 draft this year?

I could see this draft being potentially useful next year. a lot of kids earn themselves a late-round pick at OHL Cup. this year, no one has that opportunity. we might see some good talent slip through the cracks and head back to major midget for a year

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm beyond excited to see what he can do with this draft

I just hope that whoever we draft with our first four picks sign within days of getting drafted or at least acknowledges their intent to play here.

Nothing worse than swinging in the wind all summer and beyond hoping these guys will sign. After having no closure to the season, it would be nice to not be left hanging for the foreseeable future.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
The morbid upside of this pandemic is I'm guessing fewer parents will want their kids going to the U.S.

I am not so sure if Ontario is going to be any better. Besides, I imagine that parents want their kids to be nearby no matter what the local situation. These are not good times.

Reactions: K2

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I am not so sure if Ontario is going to be any better. Besides, I imagine that parents want their kids to be nearby no matter what the local situation. These are not good times.

If you're tracking the numbers, Ontario is definitely going to be better.

Regardless, this will be a factor, I guarantee it. Fear of allowing your teenager to be south of the border just ramped up exponentially.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I still say Mama Schmidt keeps her baby close to home during this crisis. I imagine Roman might want to stay close to family as well.
do we know where “home” is for them? he’s dual citizenship, played in Ottawa in minor bantam and Toronto in major bantam/minor midget.

I still see him playing with the USDP regardless. rarely ever see anyone leave after the first year

Mar 12, 2009
The morbid upside of this pandemic is I'm guessing fewer parents will want their kids going to the U.S.
the environment seems to enjoy the break the virus is providing it too
ya but if they get sick in the US, that's thousands out of pocket versus here.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Three of the last four years the Rangers have done deals leading up to the draft. This is a time when only picks can be moved. No reason to think MM wouldn’t try to do this again year.

Here’s a possible trade partner for the Rangers leading up to the draft:

Erie - They have no 3rds or 4ths over the next three years. They do have one 2nd each year over the next four years. Let’s explore working out a deal:

To Kitchener:
2nd in ‘22 (Soo)

To Erie:
3rd ‘20(Osh)
4th ‘20(Mis)
4th ‘22 (Kit)

Precedent for this type of deal:
April 3rd 2018:
To Windsor:
3rd ‘18
7th ‘18
6th ‘19
To Saginaw
2nd ‘21.

In this deal, the Rangers get a much needed 2nd to use as currency for the 21-22 season. We’d still have 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th for this draft. After this draft we’d still have our 3rd and 4th in place for the ‘21 draft. Currently, Erie has picks in rounds 1,2,5 of the upcoming draft. With this deal, they add picks in rounds 3,4. This deal makes sense for both sides.

Our price is a little steeper than the above precedent deal because 2nds are likely more valuable these days than they were just a couple years ago. Plus, the 2nd coming our way is not as distant.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
the environment seems to enjoy the break the virus is providing it too

ya but if they get sick in the US, that's thousands out of pocket versus here.
I would suspect any players in the USNDTP would have total medical coverage. Don't know how any parent would allow their kids play any contact sport without the coverage. I know the OHL teams picks up the OHIP coverage for foreign players here.

Reactions: EvenSteven
Mar 12, 2009
I would suspect any players in the USNDTP would have total medical coverage. Don't know how any parent would allow their kids play any contact sport without the coverage. I know the OHL teams picks up the OHIP coverage for foreign players here.
I meant in regards to Canadian parents sending Canadian kids to non-USNDP programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad