Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If the season is to end and we don't get to see this team play again, one of the most disappointing aspects for me, is not being able to properly send of Yantsis. This guy is one of the greatest OHL FA signings ever and I he deserves a lot of praise from Rangers nation if this is the end of the road for the season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If the season is to end and we don't get to see this team play again, one of the most disappointing aspects for me, is not being able to properly send of Yantsis. This guy is one of the greatest OHL FA signings ever and I he deserves a lot of praise from Rangers nation if this is the end of the road for the season.

For all intents and purposes, this season is done. CDC announced a best case scenario of 8 weeks (that takes us to May 10) before they can play games in front of fans. Not a chance it’ll happen. Nada. This season is over.

That’s a kick in the groin to a team like Kitchener who mortgaged the future for this playoff run. A league worst zero 2nd round picks before 2025. Minimal graduating players of value to be moved next season, a rebuilding season, to regain 2nd rounders for a run in 21-22.

On the positive side, we do have three 3rds for this draft and we do have a good crop of 02’s and 03’s and that bodes well for the 21-22 season.

MM will have to pull rabbits out of his hat at the draft, on the trade market, and in recruiting drafted players and a head coach.

This 2020 draft will be vital in putting this team in contention for the 21-22 season. These players (1st. 3rd. 3rd. 3rd) will be second year players and NHL draft eligible in 21-22. They need to be at least of the calibre of this year’s second year draft eligibles Valade, Sebrango and McDonnell. These three would have been very strong secondary contenders this post season. We need our 04’s to be the same for this team in 21-22.

MM has to hit a home run on our lone graduating 01 next year, Vukojovic. We have no 2nds until 2025. We need ammunition in the bank in the way of 2nds to compete up to the 2022 trade deadline. Vukojovic could be one of the most sought after D-men who’ll hit the market at the 2021 trade deadline. I think we can hope for/expect the same return that Guelph got from Flint for Lalonde (2nd. 2nd. 2nd*. 5th*. Bianconi). I believe Vukojovic is the better player and should bring comparable or better return.

MM needs to recruit hard to get our valuable prospects to report. We spent a 2nd rounder on Roman Schmidt last draft and we have to do everything we can, if not in this off season then next, to get him in Ranger blue. Same goes for our other 03’s. Wu, Brown, Schade.

Also, this team goes into this off season the same way it went into the last off season - with no returning goaltending of note. We need to get a couple young guys in next year to insure we have a #1 developed and ready to go for a run in 21-22. Who will they be? Wu? McBride? Purcell?

MM did a good job in taking over for McKee. But I don’t believe he’s a head coach. I think he may agree. He needs to make a major splash the way Steve B did years ago poaching PD from Plymouth. Promoting from within is not the way to go. You go get the best coach available period.

Roll your sleeves up Mike, you have work to do.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
MM needs to recruit hard to get our valuable prospects to report. We spent a 2nd rounder on Roman Schmidt last draft and we have to do everything we can, if not in this off season then next, to get him in Ranger blue. Same goes for our other 03’s. Wu, Brown, Schade.

Also, this team goes into this off season the same way it went into the last off season - with no returning goaltending of note. We need to get a couple young guys in next year to insure we have a #1 developed and ready to go for a run in 21-22. Who will they be? Wu? McBride? Purcell?

MM did a good job in taking over for McKee. But I don’t believe he’s a head coach. I think he may agree. He needs to make a major splash the way Steve B did years ago poaching PD from Plymouth. Promoting from within is not the way to go. You go get the best coach available period.

Roll your sleeves up Mike, you have work to do.

Lets not forget Connor Hasley when it comes to prospective goalkeeping!
As for not promoting within, I wouldn't be upset if Andreas Karlson gets consider at least if not given the job. I suspect he had more of a role the past 4 or 5 months than we believe.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
for not promoting within, I wouldn't be upset if Andreas Karlson gets consider at least if not given the job. I suspect he had more of a role the past 4 or 5 months than we believe.

Andreas Karlsson is the odds-on favorite IMO, should he want the job. I'd love 'another Pete DeBoer' but wonder who that's potentially available would even be today's DeBoer ... ?

Lets not forget Connor Hasley when it comes to prospective goalkeeping!

He's gone IMO. Moved out of state to attend a $100,000/yr (CAN$) prep school in MA and committed to one of the priciest US business schools (Bentley) in that same state suggests he (&/or his folks) have already forgotten about Kitchener.

We need to get a couple young guys in next year to insure we have a #1 developed and ready to go for a run in 21-22. Who will they be? Wu? McBride? Purcell?

Agreed: I'd guess McBride is very possible, Purcell increasingly a longshot and Wu probably now an unknown. Hopefully Wu is interested and able to make the team after what appears to be an unplanned year away from the competitive game which, when combined with Wu's off the chart academic achievements, suggests to me that his focus might have shifted away from hockey.

Ingham (...etc) could still find his way back as OA in the Fall. I think he's still unsigned, there's still a small crowd in the Kings/Reign pipeline and no strong incentive to play somewhere in the ECHL if unsigned. It could also well be that the ECHL gets hit hardest by the lost revenues during quarantine and contracts given it is notoriously 'precarious'. Iggy would be most welcome here and surely coved elsewhere too should he return.

If the season is to end and we don't get to see this team play again, one of the most disappointing aspects for me, is not being able to properly send of Yantsis.

Agreed & I wish JY all the best. Hopefully we get a chance to warmly welcome him back to the Aud as a star alum sometime down the road, likewise Meireles, Hawel & even Joey G.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
in terms of goaltending, if a guy is on an ELC and is sent to the ECHL, is he still paid by the big club? if so, it likely makes more sense to send Ingham to the coast if it helps the team financially.

If he's back, you get just a guy. a Lucas Pfeil of sorts. McBride, D'Alessandro, Wu, whoever. it's a different ball game if you get Purcell over. get everything you can for Ingham, probably need a backup goalie who's capable of 25-30 starts

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I imagine we will have an answer on the OHL season being over or not in the next few weeks. high school players probably won’t go back to the city they’re playing in to go to school and not play hockey. they’re all going to have to get transferred back to their home city’s schools.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
The Q and Dub have ended their seasons and used percentage to finalise standings. OHL meeting tomorrow.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The Q and Dub have ended their seasons and used percentage to finalise standings. OHL meeting tomorrow.

OHL will inevitably follow. There won't be a postseason unless they want to condense it to top 4 in each conference or less. that's if they're lucky

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Assuming the OHL follows what the other CHL leagues did and base standings on points %, Kitchener will pick at 17 in the draft and finish 3rd in the conference and would play Guelph in some miracle where they do the playoffs

In recent years they've grabbed Meireles and Valade at 17, so that's good

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
OHL will inevitably follow. There won't be a postseason unless they want to condense it to top 4 in each conference or less. that's if they're lucky

Depending on when a “green light to play” happens, a more fair and just scenario may play out than just the top four in each conference taking part

On sportnet.ca there are suggested scenarios where an NHL post season could be done in a short period of time that would include more than the traditional 16 playoff teams. The same type of unconventional playoff could be done in the OHL.

One compressed playoff scenario that could happen for the OHL could be the top two teams in each conference, irregardless of division, would get byes into a second round The remaining eight teams in the conference play two quick preliminary rounds of 2 out of 3 series to determine who the 3rd and 4th seeds would be in each conference.

Using the western conference as an example:
3rd vs 10th. 4th vs 9th, 5th vs 8th, 6th vs 7th.

London - Bye
Saginaw - Bye
3. Kitchener vs 10.Sarnia
4. Flint vs 9. Soo
5. Windsor vs 6. Erie
6. Guelph vs 7. Owen Sound

The four winners would play another 2 out of 3 to produce the remaining two teams who would then go on to play against the teams who had the bye. That would take about 10 days max. Lower seed in each round would get the opening game. One day off then games two and three played in the higher seeds building on back to back nights.

I include all teams because nobody was able to finish the regular season. This is an extenuating circumstance. A one time occurrence. There was no closure. This would at least give every team, especially graduating players, a chance to play together again one more time, and, just as important, in front of their home fans.

Conference semi finals and finals would be 3 out 5’s and league final could be 4 out of 7. The teams who had byes may be at a little bit of a disadvantage because of rust. But, evening things up is the possibility that their opponents could’ve played as many as six games in eight days.

The 8 weeks suggested by MLB would take us to a May 10th start. (I’m assuming teams would be able to start a closed door mini camp around May 1st. Nobody but teams and personnel would attend to keep the numbers under the 50).

The two rounds of 2 of 3’s would start on May 10 be done by May 18. The two rounds of 3 of 5’s (2-2-1 over the course of eight days with one off day between rounds) would start on May 20 and be done by June 5.

The final would start on June 7 and wrap up by June 17. The Memorial Cup to be played starting on Saturday, June 20.

That would be a ton of hockey in a short amount of time. But it could be done.

Of course, I don’t see any of this happening because I think the season is done. But it is surely a better scenario than only the top four teams in each conference competing in playoffs.

As was said earlier, it gives us something to talk about.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Depending on when a “green light to play” happens, a more fair and just scenario may play out than just the top four in each conference taking part

On sportnet.ca there are suggested scenarios where an NHL post season could be done in a short period of time that would include more than the traditional 16 playoff teams. The same type of unconventional playoff could be done in the OHL.

One compressed playoff scenario that could happen for the OHL could be the top two teams in each conference, irregardless of division, would get byes into a second round The remaining eight teams in the conference play two quick preliminary rounds of 2 out of 3 series to determine who the 3rd and 4th seeds would be in each conference.

3rd vs 10th. 4th vs 9th, 5th vs 8th, 6th vs 7th. Then those four winners in each conference would play another round of 2 out of 3’s to produce the remaining two teams who would then go on to play against the teams who had the bye. That would take about 10 days max. Lower seed in each round would get the opening game. One day off then games two and three played in the higher seeds building on back to back nights.

I include all teams because nobody was able to finish the regular season. There was no closure. This would at least give every team, especially graduating players, a chance to play together again one more time, and in front of their fans.

Conference semi finals and finals would be 3 out 5’s and league final could be 4 out of 7.

The 8 weeks suggested by MLB would take us to a May 10th start. (I’m assuming teams would be able to start a closed door mini camp around May 1st. Nobody but teams and personnel would attend to keep the numbers under the 50).

The two rounds of 2 of 3’s would start on May 10 be done by May 18. The two rounds of 3 of 5’s (2-2-1 over the course of eight days with one off day between rounds) would start on May 20 and be done by June 5.

The final would start on June 7 and wrap up by June 17. The Memorial Cup to be played starting on Saturday, June 20.

That would be a ton of hockey in a short amount of time. But it could be done.

Of course, I don’t see any of this happening because I think the season is done. But it is surely a better scenario than only the top four teams in each conference competing in playoffs.

As was said earlier, it gives us something to talk about.

there’s just so much to consider when thinking about all of it. what is the NHL going to do with the draft, season, etc. that will impact what the OHL does in terms of their season.

schools as well make this very difficult. some provinces are pulling the plug on the school year already. if Ontario doesn’t do that and the high school guys are back in classes, are they going to have to go back home to school for a certain of period of time and back to their teams school again? all 3 CHL leagues have to be lined up correctly for this to work out

it just seems like there’s too much for it to all make sense logistically

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
there’s just so much to consider when thinking about all of it. what is the NHL going to do with the draft, season, etc. that will impact what the OHL does in terms of their season.

schools as well make this very difficult. some provinces are pulling the plug on the school year already. if Ontario doesn’t do that and the high school guys are back in classes, are they going to have to go back home to school for a certain of period of time and back to their teams school again? all 3 CHL leagues have to be lined up correctly for this to work out

it just seems like there’s too much for it to all make sense logistically

The NHL draft will happen after the NHL season is done - whenever that is. My scenario has the Memorial Cup done before the end of June. The NHL likely will end their season after that.

OHL teams have tutors when school is in. They’ll likely have the same if not enhanced guidance while school is on hiatus.

All the three leagues have to do us get their league reps to the Memorial Cup by June 20. How they decide champions is up to them. They likely couldn’t do a playoff like I suggested because of travel. Luckily, we have much easier travel in the O than the other two leagues. May as well take advantage of it.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I do believe we will hear that the OHL will follow by ending the season where it stands. Currently, major league teams in other sports are hoping for mid-May so whether the OHL even considers playoffs in some modified format remains to be seen.

SO.......on to the OHL Draft in April. Article by Brown today noting that teams will have to depend on what scouts saw during the season and will not get other looks in such events as OHL Prospects. Rangers should have a 17th pick in the 1st round. Has anyone seen a ranked list of OHL potentials?

Also, MM says that Rangers might just see some gems still sitting there for the 3rd round. So their 3 thirds could be fruitful. Here's hoping!

Reactions: EvenSteven

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The regular season cancellation was inevitable. When reporting it or talking about it, people need to include the word "regular" as it is a very important qualifier at this point.

I still think the playoffs won't be far behind. MLB talks say they don't think there's any realistic way they're playing before June. The Memorial Cup is in late May. Working backwards, unless they move the dates of that tournament, it simply isn't going to happen in time.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
When reporting it or talking about it, people need to include the word "regular" as it is a very important qualifier at this point.

I agree. The radio is stating that the season is cancelled and the Ranger organization emails are stating regular season. They are crediting the cancelled games to subscribers via next years season tickets. If there were a playoff, would they not credit to the playoff tickets? Am I reading too much into this? LOL! I still have the feeling that the whole season is kaput.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
They are crediting the cancelled games to subscribers via next years season tickets. If there were a playoff, would they not credit to the playoff tickets?

The email says they are crediting the 3 lost home games to my account. If the playoffs happen, savings go there. If they don't, then savings go next season.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
ROOKIES..........great to see McDonnell and Pinelli near the top of the leader board!!

ETb_HNCXgAAhyNR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad