Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I understand that all European players have gone home and won't be returning regardless of how the season ends.
Source required??
If true and with this virus being considered a pandemic if their health insurance or our OHIP may not cover them if they remain here with no hockey?? (Just a guess)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Both Axel and Ville left last night.

Further evidence as far as I’m concerned that this season is done. Weve likely seen the last of junior hockey until September at least.

The NBA has said they’re down for 30 days minimum. Everyone else will follow suit. If it is “only” 30 days, after being off for a month, we can expect at least a week for a mini training camp as well before we play games. That means games would start around April 21st ish?

Sure there may be time to get an abbreviated playoff started but I’m not holding my breath. Especially if the suspended season goes past the “best case scenario” 30 days.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think we’ll see you in September.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Further evidence as far as I’m concerned that this season is done. Weve likely seen the last of junior hockey until September at least.

The NBA has said they’re down for 30 days minimum. Everyone else will follow suit. If it is “only” 30 days, after being off for a month, we can expect at least a week for a mini training camp as well before we play games. That means games would start around April 21st ish?

Sure there may be time to get an abbreviated playoff started but I’m not holding my breath. Especially if the suspended season goes past the “best case scenario” 30 days.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think we’ll see you in September.
That is a huge leap you make there. While I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, I don't think you can arbitrarily add a week to the month to find a minimum. I believe the month timeline would have included whatever minicamp might be necessary. If they think they are on track for the month timeline, I would expect the teams to bring players back prior to that to get game ready.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
That is a huge leap you make there. While I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, I don't think you can arbitrarily add a week to the month to find a minimum. I believe the month timeline would have included whatever minicamp might be necessary. If they think they are on track for the month timeline, I would expect the teams to bring players back prior to that to get game ready.

players are home for 2 weeks. obviously if things don’t progress by then they won’t come back. but if they do, players will come back and informally begin to get back into things. I’m guessing it’s another 2 weeks from when the players return to when they start playing again

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
players are home for 2 weeks. obviously if things don’t progress by then they won’t come back. but if they do, players will come back and informally begin to get back into things. I’m guessing it’s another 2 weeks from when the players return to when they start playing again

Maybe we can use the great NHL strike of 19?? as a guideline. I believe the last playoff game that year was at the beginning of July? I could be wrong though. But the 1995 lockout saw the final game on June 24.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I hear you. I hope I’m wrong. Believe me, sitting around the house last night when we should have been at the Aud was depressing.

But I think 30 days may be wishful thinking. The coronavirus cases are ramping up - not down. I don’t think it’s reached it’s peak on this continent yet.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I hear you. I hope I’m wrong. Believe me, sitting around the house last night when we should have been at the Aud was depressing.

But I think 30 days may be wishful thinking. The coronavirus cases are ramping up - not down. I don’t think it’s reached it’s peak on this continent yet.
I agree......next hockey at And (or maybe anywhere in NA) will be in Sept.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
I tend to think the CHL and all other leagues regardless of which sport are done for this year. No one is going want to be the first to go back for fear of being imprudent and perhaps legally liable if their decision was wrong. There would have to be an official governmental declaration that the crisis is over. Government is going to be reluctant to do that. Not sure how this mess ends.

Reactions: K2 and Ward Cornell

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe we can use the great NHL strike of 19?? as a guideline. I believe the last playoff game that year was at the beginning of July? I could be wrong though. But the 1995 lockout saw the final game on June 24.

I think the 1994 baseball lockout may be a more apt comparison. Ask the Expos about that.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I think the 1994 baseball lockout may be a more apt comparison. Ask the Expos about that.

I think you missed my point. What I am saying is, for example, that the Memorial Cup is usually played on the May 24th weekend. If they played hockey to June 24 in 1995, then it seems that they can reasonably delay the season for about a month. Once things are delayed that long then definitely we are waiting to September to see more hockey. Depending on how serious this Corona thing is, it could even be longer.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I think you missed my point. What I am saying is, for example, that the Memorial Cup is usually played on the May 24th weekend. If they played hockey to June 24 in 1995, then it seems that they can reasonably delay the season for about a month. Once things are delayed that long then definitely we are waiting to September to see more hockey. Depending on how serious this Corona thing is, it could even be longer.

I got your point. I agree we could get a season in and I hope we do.

I’m just thinking that we’re more likely to see no hockey at all.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
I have taken a couple of days to try to compose some thoughts/feelings about this and here is what I have concluded on. First of all I probably share this same opinion with all of you, this just sucks. There's no other way to put it then how much this scenario sucks. Secondly I hope all players and staff are safe form this virus. Third of all as much as I hope that the league comes back but the realest in me knows that it is a 95% chance that we don't see anymore OHL hockey this season. The biggest issue on my mind is how the picks that traded away for guys like Hawel, Noel and Ingham are wasted. You could make the same cases if we got eliminated in the first two rounds of the playoffs. However we never get to know how far this team could have gone. I wish the league would revert all trades made this year for just 18/19 year olds and if they don't comeback the picks get returned the team. But once again you make these trades without the guarantee of how the rest of season plays out. So hence as much a I hate losing Hawel, Noel and Ingham for nothing at least I enjoyed there short times here. On the positive side at least London did not win it this year.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I got your point. I agree we could get a season in and I hope we do.

I’m just thinking that we’re more likely to see no hockey at all.

Gotcha. I feel it is a bit too early to tell as I still think there is a lot of mass hysteria going on. There are cases of the virus where there are some that have recovered and tested negative over a 24 hour span. Seems this type of news gets buried in the background. I think the next couple of weeks will be telling. Obviously if it infects the country in Italian proportions then the season is done. But a lot of work needs to be done to stop or slow down this thing and it certainly isn't looking good.

My poor Expos. I was a big fan of theirs in their early years whey then had great teams and one of the best starting rotations in the history of the league, IMHO. I had become a Blue Jays fan at some point in time but the Expos were rolling along in 1994 and I couldn't help but cheer for them. Was really hoping for an all Canadian World Series and it was a very real possibility that year. Some of us thought that there was a conspiracy to stop this from happening and that is why they had the lockout. LOL! Sad to see them leave Montreal.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Totally radical.........don't finish the season....freeze it where it is now.....IF they come back......take the top 4 teams overall (never mind the free ride if you're top in your conference) by points:

1. Ottawa 101
2. London 92
3. Saginaw 87
4. Kitchener 87

Then have a Memorial Cup-like playoff to determine the OHL cup winner.

Not perfect but at least, the actual top 4 teams play it out to see who the champion is.

As for Conference winners, award it as of the freeze. So be it.

Better than giving up on the season due to the time it would take to finish and then, do playoffs.

Reactions: robertmac43

K2

Jun 11, 2015
I agree......next hockey at And (or maybe anywhere in NA) will be in Sept.

Agreed, 100% ... realistically, until we get to a consecutive month-over-month stage of negligible new cases of COVID19 any discretionary 'large indoor gatherings' won't be sanctioned by public health authorities. If North America suffers a major outbreak or even if waves of new cases persist 3 months out, we quite possibly rethink how/when a 2020-21 season can proceed. We've never been here before and, unfortunately, 'business as usual' may well be redefined going forward, especially in amateur sport.

While health and welfare is of THE utmost concern, teams will be affected adversely by the abandoned season and some may become unviable to continue. We've been a longtime pillar of success in the league under SB's watch but last year the Rangers only made $335,000 in profit including a bonus of $53,000 from World Juniors ‘home’ profit and $103,000 from our brief appearance in the 2019 playoffs. We made $97,000 more the year before but were buoyed by $530,000 in playoff revenue from home playoff games & an extra $66,000 in Ranger Outpost sales during our long postseason run. Other teams, & most in the CHL, are reportedly much less fortunate &/or reliant on the deep pockets of wealthy ownership and strong food & beverage sales to stay in business. However this goes, it’s very troublesome for the employees, teams and league which could potentially precipitate some change to the OHL landscape.

Hoping for the best, take care folks.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
IF Import players have indeed, gone home, who's to say that the borders will become re-opened in time, should the league decides to continue play or begin a modified playoff format. I can't see the Canadian Govt. making exceptions for any import hockey players.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Totally radical.........don't finish the season....freeze it where it is now.....IF they come back......take the top 4 teams overall (never mind the free ride if you're top in your conference) by points:

1. Ottawa 101
2. London 92
3. Saginaw 87
4. Kitchener 87

Then have a Memorial Cup-like playoff to determine the OHL cup winner.

Not perfect but at least, the actual top 4 teams play it out to see who the champion is.

As for Conference winners, award it as of the freeze. So be it.

Better than giving up on the season due to the time it would take to finish and then, do playoffs.

I don't think this would be fair to the teams that were building to even MAKE the playoffs. If hockey comes back in a "timely" manner, my proposal is let the teams that clinched a playoff spot keep their position. The rest have a round robin to determine the final spots. Then continue with the playoffs only with a best of 5 or best of 3.

Of course, this would definitely have to be a "timely" decision. Junior hockey is a special animal as there is only the occasional window to build and go for it. The above scenario really puts a kibosh on teams like Flint and Peterborough. And there are teams that are posed to create some upsets in the playoffs. My feeling is that you either have a shortened playoff that is fair to all the teams or cancel the whole thing. By process of the health board, I think it is going to default to the latter.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Hockey is not important at the moment, the health and welfare of all far out distances what is in effect a game. That is not to say that the people who earn a living from the game should be forgotten. Somehow they have to be looked after.

Hopefully all teams survive this crisis and hockey will resume sometime next season or the following one.

Stay safe everyone.

Reactions: K2

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
That playoff proposal is ridiculous. At least try to disguise your attempt to get Kitchener in by putting forth a somewhat reasonable proposal. This one loses all forms of credibility.
I did say it was radical. And your colours are showing, Pops! Hey, the numbers speak for themselves. I didn't make them up. Geesh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad