Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It looked worse than what I expected to see. A blind side elbow to the back of the head that results in injury should get you something. Especially when you consider how hard the modern day equipment is. Bad on MM for bringing up how the player was wearing his helmet and mouth guard too.

After seeing the video, I definitely withdraw my comment alluding it could be a phantom hit. I'm fairly certain the league would have enhanced (better) video. I still think it should be made available to the public for transparency if nothing else.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
It looked worse than what I expected to see. A blind side elbow to the back of the head that results in injury should get you something. Especially when you consider how hard the modern day equipment is. Bad on MM for bringing up how the player was wearing his helmet and mouth guard too.

After seeing the video, I definitely withdraw my comment alluding it could be a phantom hit. I'm fairly certain the league would have enhanced (better) video. I still think it should be made available to the public for transparency if nothing else.
I think MM is right to point out that the player wasn't wearing his helmet properly as it could have contributed to the players injury being worse then what it could have been if he was wearing his helmet properly.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I wish there was no such thing as sending in tape of any incident. Would rather have this settled the old fashion way with a
a few "bops on the noses" (thanks Bobber....loved that term you used years ago).
I feel like it's a knock on the league that teams have to send videos in to be reviewed. Should there not be someone on top of these things? especially when a guy goes down with a concussion, you're telling me the league won't even look at the hit unless instructed to by one of its teams.

LolaT200

Feb 10, 2020
Max Jones
My understanding is that when you enter the USNTDP you are contractually obligated to stay. If you want out you can buy your way out. The price is essentially to repay what they spent on you for the time you were in the program. Very, very expensive.
Most kids are in there because if you are American it's a perfect fit to bridge the years between when a kid makes a commitment to NCAA ( usually grade 10) and when he finishes high school.

Attackfan72

Dec 30, 2018
I would love to see a video of this as well. Hearing conflicting stories. Oh well, I suppose the league didn't want him playing against the Knights. :-p
O.H.L (Officials Helping London). It will always be that way. Example. Stolarz suspension cut from 8 to 4 games, So he could play in Memorial cup! I hope you guys win this conference! Best of luck! :thumbu:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I feel like it's a knock on the league that teams have to send videos in to be reviewed. Should there not be someone on top of these things? especially when a guy goes down with a concussion, you're telling me the league won't even look at the hit unless instructed to by one of its teams.

In a situation where there is an incident that is penalized, either via double minor or major, I would assume the league would become aware of it by simply reviewing the summary of the game (I think they do this with every game). They then would likely review the game tape and speak to on ice officials to see if any suspension is warranted.

In a situation like this (Meireles) that went unpenalized, when the league reviews the summary, they’d have have no idea that anything happened as there would be no penalty listed. In that case, I see no issue with the opposing team making the league aware that there was an incident that should be looked at for supplementary discipline.

A couple years ago in the playoffs, we had the same thing happen to one of our players. Nate Schnarr gave Giovanni Vallati a flying elbow to the head and there was no penalty on the ice. When asked after the game in a post game interview if he would send a tape in the league, Jay Mckee said he would not because the series was over now and didn’t want to “stir the pot” so to speak. He said something to that effect.

IMO, that was the wrong answer because as far as I’m concerned, you have to have your player’s backs at all times. Just because the series is virtually over doesn’t mean it’s OK to dish out dangerous headshots to one of your players. We were lucky Vallati wasn’t seriously injured on the play.

As far as I’m concerned, Mckee was very weak in this incident. We would only hope to have a head coach do what the Erie coaching staff did after Friday’s game.

Mar 12, 2009
A couple years ago in the playoffs, we had the same thing happen to one of our players. Nate Schnarr gave Giovanni Vallati a flying elbow to the head and there was no penalty on the ice. When asked after the game in a post game interview if he would send a tape in the league, Jay Mckee said he would not because the series was over now and didn’t want to “stir the pot” so to speak. He said something to that effect.

IMO, that was the wrong answer because as far as I’m concerned, you have to have your player’s backs at all times. Just because the series is virtually over doesn’t mean it’s OK to dish out dangerous headshots to one of your players. We were lucky Vallati wasn’t seriously injured on the play.

As far as I’m concerned, Mckee was very weak in this incident. We would only hope to have a head coach do what the Erie coaching staff did after Friday’s game.
Agree. |Mckee's stance on that sort of thing always really bugged me, as if showing "good will" toward offending teams would lead to other teams giving you the same good well. Delusional.
While I don't necessarily disagree with MM's frustration, if other teams are going to do that and are allowed to, then you just have to lean heavily into it and do the same to every team guilty of anything remotely over the line from penalty to suspendable.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah, this is one where I have to disagree with MM. I get his frustration. He lost his best player on a play that wasn't called live and there were mitigating circumstances regarding the chin strap. However, suggesting it's not cool to send in video harkens to some sort of "code" which is b.s. The bottom line is you want players held accountable for reckless acts and this was one. We can quibble over the suspension length, but I have no problem with the league using video after the fact to identify guilty parties and hold them accountable. If you do the crime, you do the time and no old boys' code of not snitching should apply.

So on the same vein, why not send the tape of the Ottavainen hit if you feel it was similar? The bottom line is player safety is it not? Don't shame those who bring it to light.

Mar 12, 2009
Yeah, this is one where I have to disagree with MM. I get his frustration. He lost his best player on a play that wasn't called live and there were mitigating circumstances regarding the chin strap. However, suggesting it's not cool to send in video harkens to some sort of "code" which is b.s. The bottom line is you want players held accountable for reckless acts and this was one. We can quibble over the suspension length, but I have no problem with the league using video after the fact to identify guilty parties and hold them accountable. If you do the crime, you do the time and no old boys' code of not snitching should apply.

So on the same vein, why not send the tape of the Ottavainen hit if you feel it was similar? The bottom line is player safety is it not? Don't shame those who bring it to light.
I agree, but at the same time it is kind of insane to me that a league of this calibre is so piss poor when it comes to overseeing games that teams even have to police others by sending in their own videos.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Last year in the playoffs, Jaden Peca got in a fight in Saginaw and went straight off for repairs. On his way down the tunnel to the changerooms, a bunch of Saginaw fans were flipping him the bird, and he kindly reciprocated. A Saginaw fan caught this act on their cellphone and it made it's way through social media in to the league who promptly handed out a suspension as a result.

Like it or not, these players are held to a higher standard, and there can be repercussions whether or not the on ice officials catch the infraction or not.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
The Ottaveinen hit happened right in front of our seats - it looked like a clean hit to me.

Sounds like the Meireles hit was clean until a few on here reviewed the video. (Ranger fans included) It would not do any harm reviewing the Ottaveinen hit "just in case". Who knows what you would see?

Reactions: EvenSteven

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree, but at the same time it is kind of insane to me that a league of this calibre is so piss poor when it comes to overseeing games that teams even have to police others by sending in their own videos.

Oh, the officiating in this league is embarrassingly poor for the calibre of the play. I'd say four out of five games are somewhere between poor and terrible. Having said that, even the best officials in the world can't see everything and that's where video after the fact has to come in.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

Really in fairness to the league I would want to know how much money is supplied to them from the teams to operate league offices before I judge? Not sure if that is public knowledge or not but before I string them up details would need to be understood by me anyway?

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Just fyi for those in the KW region with Rogers, the knights storm game is on cbale 20. 2-1 2nd guelph. Western Conference implications of course!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
with Matt Sop’s season being done with the Mississauga Chargers, does he join the Rangers as a black ace and just practice the season out with them? I remember Alex Formenton doing this, even travelled to the Memorial Cup with the Knights

I’d have to imagine so with him being from Kitchener

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
with Matt Sop’s season being done with the Mississauga Chargers, does he join the Rangers as a black ace and just practice the season out with them? I remember Alex Formenton doing this, even travelled to the Memorial Cup with the Knights

No reason why he wouldn’t.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
so maybe 4 years ago? probably why its rare. there's been maybe 50 or so ohl guys opt to stay for the two years vs one jumping. id say the percentage is very, very low either show up.
if anything that’s better. 7 defence slotted to come back next season who are all beyond capable OHLers. now I’d have to assume at least 1 or 2 get moved and having a D core of Sebrango, Xhekaj, Wale, Ottavainen, Motew & Schmidt (assuming Vuk and MacPherson get traded to contenders) probably isn’t necessary in a rebuilding year. get an 04 in there and you have yourself another piece in 2021-22 to either bolster your lineup or ship out for a 19 year old

echothree

Nov 20, 2019
Josh Brown's update says that Reid Valade is skating but won't play tonight. At least the skating part is a good sign. Owen Sound game is cancelled tonight, wonder if the Rangers will be able to make it up there for tomorrow's game. I heard they pulled the plows off the roads up there and many roads are closed.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Log of big hits thrown in that first period. Defensively we have looked shaky, hopefully we shore things up here in the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad