Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Big love in for Steve B on the Farwell and Pope podcast today. Deserved I suppose. Especially the first half of his near 20 year tenure.

But things have been stagnant around the organization (on and off ice) over the second half of his tenure. Season ticket waiting list petering out. Only one real threat to get to the finals (16-17) since the 07-08 season.

I will say though that his hiring of DeBoer when he did, his capping of season tickets causing an instant rush by the fanbase to get out and buy season tickets to the cap, spectacular Memorial Cup bid, and a force behind Aud expansion are a few things that helped put this team on the map.

I’d be interested to see who they bring in to replace him. Hopefully, someone who can put this team back on the upswing that it enjoyed pre 2008.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Hawel and Pinelli expected back tonight per JB. who sits tonight? do they roll out 7 D again and sit Dickerson and one of Fishman/Serpa (I hope not) or is it Dickerson, Motew & one of Xhekaj/Ottavainen (wait I don’t want that either)

good problem to have in Kitchener right now
So we finally see the "power line".....and with Pinelli on that 3rd line. Wow....can't wait. They need to focus on one game at a time. No looking ahead until the game at hand is done. NB has nothing to lose by coming at the Rangers hard.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Hawel and Pinelli expected back tonight per JB. who sits tonight? do they roll out 7 D again and sit Dickerson and one of Fishman/Serpa (I hope not) or is it Dickerson, Motew & one of Xhekaj/Ottavainen (wait I don’t want that either)

good problem to have in Kitchener right now

Not saying this will happen, but if it were me, I'd rest Sebrango tonight. You have 8 healthy D and need opportunities to get them into games. For Sebrango, you want him playing the back-to-back with Guelph, so it'll be four games in 3.5 days if he plays tonight. Gotta take the long view in my opinion.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not saying this will happen, but if it were me, I'd rest Sebrango tonight. You have 8 healthy D and need opportunities to get them into games. For Sebrango, you want him playing the back-to-back with Guelph, so it'll be four games in 3.5 days if he plays tonight. Gotta take the long view in my opinion.

Great idea!! It’s not like we don’t have capable D to carry the mail.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Great idea!! It’s not like we don’t have capable D to carry the mail.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

didn’t know MM was a poster here.

good call

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
really a fan of the Petizian-Pinelli-McDonnell line. reminds me of the DMQ line from 2018. Petizian is the wheels (McHugh), Pinelli brings the scoring touch (Damiani) and McDonnell is an absolute workhorse (Meireles). I suspect we’ll see a lot from Pinelli in the 2nd half on the defensive side especially considering who he’s playing with and the lighter competition he’s playing against

Reactions: JoelKRangers

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I watched the Rangers pregame warmup for the first time since the coaching change tonight. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I was. The passes were crisp and on the tape, not slow that barely made it to the player. Lots of speed, great energy. And at the end players working on one timers. Nobody can ever tell me this isn't 100% coaching.

The more I watch, the more I hope we have a dual Coach/GM on our hands permanently.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015

Josh Brown noted that Sebrango was not allowed to play 4 straight days (per OHL rules), so he'd have to sit one of the three games. The Friday game was the obvious choice.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
who’s out for Sebrango tomorrow? Motew seems like the obvious choice but I thought he played pretty well tonight

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I watched the Rangers pregame warmup for the first time since the coaching change tonight. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I was. The passes were crisp and on the tape, not slow that barely made it to the player. Lots of speed, great energy. And at the end players working on one timers. Nobody can ever tell me this isn't 100% coaching.

The more I watch, the more I hope we have a dual Coach/GM on our hands permanently.

What impressed me was that the 1st and 2nd lines pretty much sat out the 3rd period in order to give the other lines more playing time, despite the fact that Meireles and Damiani were going for the hat trick. (As was McDonnell :) You would never have seen this with McKee behind the bench.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
What impressed me was that the 1st and 2nd lines pretty much sat out the 3rd period in order to give the other lines more playing time, despite the fact that Meireles and Damiani were going for the hat trick. (As was McDonnell :) You would never have seen this with McKee behind the bench.

You would have seen them sit back and trap allowing the opposing team to come in waves and set up a shooting gallery. Resting the top 2 lines and giving more ice time for the 3rd and 4th kept the flow going back and forth. No one was held back. If they could score....score.

You have to wonder if MM is empowering his assistant coaches to do the job they were hired to do. You can see it in pretty much every facet of their game. X's development over the past weeks.....more team grit.....better playmaking.....team defense (yeah, I know....still some breakdowns but fewer than pre MM).....creativity that's smart and varied (not the same play into the zone every time)....and confidence that runs from the top line down to the 4th (love watching that 4th line wreak havoc). This is a different team in so many ways and one that is entertaining...fun even!

No Daws in net for the back-to-back. Time to take advantage and dominate.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
You would have seen them sit back and trap allowing the opposing team to come in waves and set up a shooting gallery. Resting the top 2 lines and giving more ice time for the 3rd and 4th kept the flow going back and forth. No one was held back. If they could score....score.

You have to wonder if MM is empowering his assistant coaches to do the job they were hired to do. You can see it in pretty much every facet of their game. X's development over the past weeks.....more team grit.....better playmaking.....team defense (yeah, I know....still some breakdowns but fewer than pre MM).....creativity that's smart and varied (not the same play into the zone every time)....and confidence that runs from the top line down to the 4th (love watching that 4th line wreak havoc). This is a different team in so many ways and one that is entertaining...fun even!

No Daws in net for the back-to-back. Time to take advantage and dominate.

And just to add.........aggressive on the PK. Love it. I took my daughter to the game she says, "Oh shucks, we have a penalty". I told her that we could end up with a shortie, then "Oh look.........a breakway!" Meireles scores. This is VERY opposite of the McKee philosophy.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Nice win. Not a fan of 7-D. But tough to complain or critisize when you’re winning.
MM explained his thoughts on developing the younger players on pregame. He feels he doesn't want any of them sitting for extended periods to stunt their development. It seems like he's going to rotate the lower forwards and one defenceman in and out of the lineup. He doesn't mind the idea of utilizing "one of his horses" to get them more ice time while getting the 4th liners some minutes.

I kind of like the fact that MM thinks outside the box developing players, while giving us the best chance to compete at a high level today.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
MM explained his thoughts on developing the younger players on pregame. He feels he doesn't want any of them sitting for extended periods to stunt their development. It seems like he's going to rotate the lower forwards and one defenceman in and out of the lineup. He doesn't mind the idea of utilizing "one of his horses" to get them more ice time while getting the 4th liners some minutes.

I kind of like the fact that MM thinks outside the box developing players, while giving us the best chance to compete at a high level today.

will Dickerson get in that rotation of forwards? do Fishman and Serpa sit tomorrow for him? he’s been way better as of late IMO, just can’t get consistent minutes

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
will Dickerson get in that rotation of forwards? do Fishman and Serpa sit tomorrow for him? he’s been way better as of late IMO, just can’t get consistent minutes
I'm sure it is something that will eventually sort itself out as the season goes on. The better players will get dressed more frequently and get the ice they earn. Right now we have the luxury of making choices as we are relatively healthy.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad