Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I am excited about this!

A team that's undefeated this early in the season is getting a top line player back into the line up, someone who is going to help with the offense and PP. And at the same time are getting a top 4 defencemen that 95% of the league dislikes back into the line up for the 1st time in months, after not being signed by his NHL team and has a chip on his shoulder.

That's some positive change!

This post!

and if the games aren’t on TV I’ll definitely be buying OHL Live. Hopefully they are tho, would be a shame for locals to miss the SSM game, and the SAG rematch should be good as well (if we have any legs left)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
This post!

and if the games aren’t on TV I’ll definitely be buying OHL Live. Hopefully they are tho, would be a shame for locals to miss the SSM game, and the SAG rematch should be good as well (if we have any legs left)
I've noticed (at least on our guide) that the Rogers is very late in adding the Rangers game just a cpl days prior to game day.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Who will that leave out of the lineup on defence with Hall coming back and Garreffa going back down?

I think that they will rotate the kids in and out for now. But as far as I'm concerned, I would not be depriving these kids of ice time for very long. If Hall stays healthy and Garreffa is permanently on D, if it were up to me, Gentles' days as a Ranger would be numbered. Nothing against him except for his age. I like him as a defenceman but ...

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I think that they will rotate the kids in and out for now. But as far as I'm concerned, I would not be depriving these kids of ice time for very long. If Hall stays healthy and Garreffa is permanently on D, if it were up to me, Gentles' days as a Ranger would be numbered. Nothing against him except for his age. I like him as a defenceman but ...
If a defenceman is being moved yeah agree, if Hall had a clean record of being healthy then Hall would be the one being traded due to the higher returns. MM will definitely surprise us though with any moves he does make....and usually a lot better than what we do here! Ha

Reactions: EvenSteven

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Is Kitchener a seller or buyer

Neither.

They aren't buying and they have no one to sell.

Chase Campbell is here to stay. Kyle Gentles early on this season has been kind of soft and hasn't really provided anything that would see teams lining up to trade for him. He's a vet and a solid 5-6 guy on a contender but don't see a huge market and I don't believe there is a long line up of teams willing to pay anything for Connor Hall. If healthy he'll be fine but he's a really risky move if you're the other GM.

You might see a few small moves but this team doesn't have anything to sell off so imagine what you see now is what you get for the season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Is Kitchener a seller or buyer

The only player that we have that we can sell to get substantial return for is a healthy/clean bill of health Connor Hall. Outside of our overagers, every other player on this roster except the imports will more than likely return next season.

We are definitely not buyers this year. I don't mind giving up what we did to Sudbury for Lipanov. He came cheap for a player of his calibre. I do see us in a stand pat/sell position.

I see us moving an overage defenceman to give the younger guys time to play. I also see us moving one or two of our overage possibilities going into next year at the deadline. I think we received much better return for Cascagnette and Kohn then we would have had we tried to deal them in the off-season leading into their overage years.

So I look for MacKenzie to figure out and lock down who our three overagers will be next year as soon as he can and then try to move one or two of the others the same way he moved the players.

I thought it was a given that next years our three overagers would be Garreffa , Meireles, and McHugh. I know it's early, but Yantsis and Richardson have certainly made themselves very good overage possibilities.

It'll be interesting how it all shakes out.

Reactions: SebJHockey

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
The only player that we have that we can sell to get substantial return for is a healthy/clean bill of health Connor Hall. Outside of our overagers, every other player on this roster except the imports will more than likely return next season.

We are definitely not buyers this year. I don't mind giving up what we did to Sudbury for Lipanov. He came cheap for a player of his calibre. I do see us in a stand pat/sell position.

I see us moving an overage defenceman to give the younger guys time to play. I also see us moving one or two of our overage possibilities going into next year at the deadline. I think we received much better return for Cascagnette and Kohn then we would have had we tried to deal them in the off-season leading into their overage years.

So I look for MacKenzie to figure out and lock down who our three overagers will be next year as soon as he can and then try to move one or two of the others the same way he moved the players.

I thought it was a given that next years our three overagers would be Garreffa , Meireles, and McHugh. I know it's early, but Yantsis and Richardson have certainly made themselves very good overage possibilities.

It'll be interesting how it all shakes out.
Its not how they start but how they finish the season.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Neither.

They aren't buying and they have no one to sell.

Chase Campbell is here to stay. Kyle Gentles early on this season has been kind of soft and hasn't really provided anything that would see teams lining up to trade for him. He's a vet and a solid 5-6 guy on a contender but don't see a huge market and I don't believe there is a long line up of teams willing to pay anything for Connor Hall. If healthy he'll be fine but he's a really risky move if you're the other GM.

You might see a few small moves but this team doesn't have anything to sell off so imagine what you see now is what you get for the season.
Do you think they would consider moving Joey G? He would certainly garner some interest.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Do you think they would consider moving Joey G? He would certainly garner some interest.
Some?...i would think "a lot" and his return in a trade may be substantial. The team acquiring him is getting "two players" a top 6 forward and a good puck moving defenceman. Even though this team has been playing well and may continue to surprise, I would hope that they do sell to enhance the long term prospects of winning. IMHO any player 18 and older could be traded. Will they?, not sure after listening to beinkowski listing the beans from last yrs run!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

The Rangers have to determine if they are going all in next year or not. If they are, then players who would be high end OA's are off the trade block. That includes Joey.

If they are not, then yes, anyone who'll be an OA next year is on the block. That includes Damiani as I don't see him playing an OA season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Trying to guess what the team will do going forward is a puzzle. MM who does a great job always surprises us with the deals he makes. With the new import, Hall returning and Petizian eventually injected back into the line up it could force MM to make an deal. I can see Tresoor and Gordon being odd men out which may or may not make them happy campers. There is always some issue that forces a GM to make decisions he might have to consider whether he wants to or not. Gordon has missed a ton of hockey because of last seasons fiasco. Not sure if I am right but I think the league wants teams to find homes for these young players. Just spit balling. With MM at the helm who knows what they management is considering?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Some?...i would think "a lot" and his return in a trade may be substantial. The team acquiring him is getting "two players" a top 6 forward and a good puck moving defenceman. Even though this team has been playing well and may continue to surprise, I would hope that they do sell to enhance the long term prospects of winning. IMHO any player 18 and older could be traded. Will they?, not sure after listening to beinkowski listing the beans from last yrs run!
Me saying Some was just being cute - I agree he would be tops on any list of a team going for it - plays both D and O well and just seems to be everywhere on the ice. Double the heart of most players in the "O".

Mar 12, 2009
That's a bummer. I buy a limited number of OHL Live games a year to address these instances myself. OHL Live offers PPV for $7 a game or a 5 pack for $30
Ya, I think I am going to have to do that for a couple games. Just wish I knew ahead of time which games so I could buy a package. Is OHL Live reliable if buying the game the afternoon of the game?

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario

Honestly, it depends what that offer is.

Looking at the draft cupboard as of right now, the rangers should get those conditional 2nds back from the tortora deal. Outside of those picks, the only pick missing is a 3rd in 2021. So we are good in the picks department. Don't have an overflow of picks but we aren't missing much.

If the deal was draft picks, I don't do it. Draft picks are nice but i'd rather have Joey G. lol

If the deal was a good prospect and some picks, I would do it.

I imagine teams will make calls and the rangers would listen to calls on Joey, Connor (Although again thats a buyer beware type of deal if it happens) and Luke Richardson especially if Soo decides to make a run. Not many goalies on the market if they decide to keep vilalta .

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Trying to guess what the team will do going forward is a puzzle. MM who does a great job always surprises us with the deals he makes. With the new import, Hall returning and Petizian eventually injected back into the line up it could force MM to make an deal. I can see Tresoor and Gordon being odd men out which may or may not make them happy campers. There is always some issue that forces a GM to make decisions he might have to consider whether he wants to or not. Gordon has missed a ton of hockey because of last seasons fiasco. Not sure if I am right but I think the league wants teams to find homes for these young players. Just spit balling. With MM at the helm who knows what they management is considering?

I can see Gordon as the obvious odd man out right now. I just don't know what kind of player he is at this point. Doesn't really fit on this team if you know what I mean. I imagine he could get dealt. If London can get a 3rd round pick for 2 players who became healthy scratches on the very average roster (Albeit a good one next year) they currently have, we can get something for Gordon.

Tresoor I feel is developing into something. He was great for the Siskins last year but his turn around has been slow.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I can see Gordon as the obvious odd man out right now. I just don't know what kind of player he is at this point. Doesn't really fit on this team if you know what I mean. I imagine he could get dealt. If London can get a 3rd round pick for 2 players who became healthy scratches on the very average roster (Albeit a good one next year) they currently have, we can get something for Gordon.

Tresoor I feel is developing into something. He was great for the Siskins last year but his turn around has been slow.
Seb I like both kids. They do have size. Something the team lacks. With the staff the Rangers have presently I do have faith these kids could develop into decent OHL players. In saying this and not knowing for certain which direction the team is going in it does look like these two will be dropped out of the line up. The plan going forward I believe is to have a competitive squad every year ala the Knights as a prototype. This team certainly is entertaining and surprising to say the least. MM might be looking at other options. One never knows who is disheartened by their ice time or other issues on OHL teams(Vallati).

Reactions: SebJHockey

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
IMHO...Tressor and Gordon should be getting regular shifts this entire season. Regardless of the nice start of 5 games this is still a rebuild
year and not giving these players regular ice would be a huge error.
There is at least one forward I can name that should be sitting before these 2.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Ward - I usually agree with what you say but you do you have below Gordon?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ward - I usually agree with what you say but you do you have below Gordon?
Chase Campbell...any other forward still has tenure left in the OHL after this yr. At least by playing the two you are building up their value to the team or someone else. Too often lately players sat here and their value diminished that they got waived out of the league.
Three attributes for a GM are 1) evaluating talent. 2) finding a worse GM than them for a trade. Then 3) patience

Reactions: EvenSteven

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
In Josh Browns latest, he says Hall turned down an AHL contract with Rochester to come back to Kitchener. Good read, sounds like Hall wants to prove himself.

Reactions: SYWTom

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ya, I think I am going to have to do that for a couple games. Just wish I knew ahead of time which games so I could buy a package. Is OHL Live reliable if buying the game the afternoon of the game?
OHL Live is very reliable. I have never had a problem. I imagine you could be up and running in under 5 minutes if you wanted to.

Reactions: Torgo

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Meant to note this earlier......about the good old CHL top 10. How does London even get rated that high with the record it has right now?? There are teams in the Honourable Mention with better records....

It should be based on what a team is doing not what a team "might" do. Nuff said.

Reactions: BehindSooNet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad