Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm going to refrain from posting a long post because I will be repeating a lot of what other people are already saying. But a couple things I did not see above I'll quickly mention.

First of all, the overager that was brought in to help with the development of younger players was a main culprit last night in a negative way. Mckee called him out during the post game in two or three different situations where he clearly was terrible. I hope that is not the type of player that will be setting an example for our young players. As it stands now, he's chewing up the minutes that should be going to our young players.

I noticed late in the game last night once Mckee benched most of the veterans, Vukojevic did see time on the power play. I was impressed. One thing he was able to provide that guys like Garreffa have not been is a booming shot from the point. I'd like to see a lot more of this and I'm sure, based on the enthusiasm he showed being on the power play last night, he'd like to see more of it too.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
This team definitely was destined for an off year and we all knew it. We just want signs of a future. And playing said pointless OA over kids who might develop is just dumb. Last night I thought Langdon showed real flashes on the PP with quick, smart puck movement. Give kids like that a steady diet of PP time. There is zero reason - and I mean zero - to have Campbell log a single second of PP time. And Vuk should be on every PP.

Lastly, on the Sebrango hit. Forgive the rant, but OHL games have been trending badly away from intensity and excitement for years. The Rangers have been a prime culprit with almost no physicality and lame, boring stick checking. Finally, one of them wakes up the crowd with a great physical play and the officials toss him and the league will suspend him.

No one wants to see anyone get hurt, but let's cut the crap. They are eliminating physicality and that is not a good thing.

johnnyhockey1982

Nov 14, 2018
My issue with the season thus far has has been with how Mckee uses certain players (specifically the younger guys). Arguably our top asset going forward in Vukojevic still get's shafted on PP time despite injuries,even in blow outs, in games where other guys on the PP aren't working (or when guys on the PP have terrible games, ie. York last game). He's had some decent looks in the offensive end at even strength, he really deserves a chance. Almost temped to go to a game with a "Free Vuk" sign.

Really can't believe Vuk isn't on power play and he should be eating minutes like theres no tomorrow.... he's clearly the top defence man on the team so I don't know what Mckee is thinking.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
On Vuk's play this year. He is still young and has a lot of pressure as supposedly one of our top defensemen. Something has to be said about the value of having Stanley as his partner last season. Stanley was basically Vuk's on ice coach. You can really see the difference without having the big man guiding him along and giving him instruction. In all honesty our defense has a lot to be desired. Gentles is not the biggest guy out on the ice but he has a knack for moving pucks out of the defensive zone and maybe having him back would settle down a couple of the D. In saying this there is something amiss from what we saw at the beginning even after Hall disappeared. As a long time STH I understand the 20 years of rebuilds(kidding)it was only ten:naughty:
I would just like to see more structure and competivness for 60 minutes even if we lose. Then go home happy.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Finally, one of them wakes up the crowd with a great physical play and the officials toss him and the league will suspend him.

No one wants to see anyone get hurt, but let's cut the crap. They are eliminating physicality and that is not a good thing.

Let's not forget that suspension to Tresoor. That CLEAN hit was in my top 5 Ranger plays of this year along with the Sebrango shift last night.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Let's not forget that suspension to Tresoor. That CLEAN hit was in my top 5 Ranger plays of this year along with the Sebrango shift last night.

I recorded the game last night, but someone spoiled the score to me before I got home.
I saw online about Sebrango’s shift and when I got home and I watched the hit, the fight and then deleted the recording.

We should be encouraging Vukojevic and Jackeye to play with more snarl, they aren’t small guys. Missing Hall for sure, and Gentles was looking pretty steady and more physical before he went down.

As far as the sell off, I think we should start sooner then later, Campbell needs to sit or something

Reactions: rangersblues

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Recorded the game this morning, looked at the hit as slow as I could, with many viewings. Maybe, just maybe, the very top of the shoulder/arm made contact with the head. Probably get 5 or 6 games, but I have seen hits this season that were worse (okay different type of hits) that had no suspension so who knows.

As for the game, they have a week to sort themselves out.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
We should be encouraging Vukojevic and Jackeye to play with more snarl, they aren’t small guys.

It almost seems that Vuko became saddled with the 'responsible' role once the two vets went down and doesn't have the backup depth that underpinned his quick success here last year. Jackeye just might be our grittiest player and may also have a helluva point shot but he seems to be purposely keeping his nose clean much of the time and doesn't get much opportunity to fire off the point.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Recorded the game this morning, looked at the hit as slow as I could, with many viewings. Maybe, just maybe, the very top of the shoulder/arm made contact with the head. Probably get 5 or 6 games, but I have seen hits this season that were worse (okay different type of hits) that had no suspension so who knows.
As for the game, they have a week to sort themselves out.

This freeze frame is at the point of contact. Note that Gritz's head is still down and Sebrango is moving past him. There is no hit to the head. None. After this, Gritz goes back from the impact and naturally, his head does too. At the same time, Sebrango rights himself to keep his balance and his right shoulder and arm come up which gives the illusion that he made a head check. Now, does the OHL go frame by frame and see this OR do they back the call?

upload_2018-11-25_9-21-13.png

Reactions: EvenSteven

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
It appears for better or worse the OHL is headed in the direction of the NFL penalty for "unnecessary roughness - hitting a defenceless receiver". I'm not against this as concussions can change these kids lives forever. The NHL can deal with this in their own way - players get paid, although money isn't everything. Most of these kids aren't going to the NHL and need to find a way to lead productive lives.

It's not necessarily the direct contact to the head that causes concussions. It's the impact of the hit that rattles the brain against the skull. I just wish the league would come right out and say it to take the confusion away.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
This freeze frame is at the point of contact. Note that Gritz's head is still down and Sebrango is moving past him. There is no hit to the head. None.

That's pretty much the freeze frame I had. In it you cannot see Sebrango's right shoulder/arm. He might, just might, have caught the bottom of the chip with the top of his shoulder. I can't say for sure and I have yet to see a view where it is 100% sure there is a gap between shoulder and head all the way through the point of impact. At the time I didn't think it was a penalty, still haven't see anything that says 100% sure it is, but haven't seen anything either that says 100% sure it isn't either.

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Regardless it will be the same as Max Jones hit on the Owen Sound player which was clean as they come 10 years ago but not anymore. It will be in the 5-10 game suspension you can count on it.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Regardless it will be the same as Max Jones hit on the Owen Sound player which was clean as they come 10 years ago but not anymore. It will be in the 5-10 game suspension you can count on it.
Could also be like the Domi hit in Owen Sound and he gets nothing.

Last edited:

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
True enough but don't count on it. They have changed the standards. Was he penalized? Domi wasn't so that in itself makes a difference. Same check today Max gets a major and suspension same as Jones hit. Different era no penalty no suspension.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
True enough but don't count on it. They have changed the standards. Was he penalized? Domi wasn't so that in itself makes a difference. Same check today Max gets a major and suspension same as Jones hit. Different era no penalty no suspension.
Not so sure they weren't handing out suspensions back then. Owen Sound player got one for a slew foot that was 20 games in duration. I think you are correct though about today's judge and jury. Tresoor who wasn't penalized either I believe got five for a questionable hit but the opposing player was injured. I believe Gritz came back and played in this game. Guess we will find out sooner or later. Still I hate to see young men staggering off the ice injured.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
Not so sure they weren't handing out suspensions back then. Owen Sound player got one for a slew foot that was 20 games in duration. I think you are correct though about today's judge and jury. Tresoor who wasn't penalized either I believe got five for a questionable hit but the opposing player was injured. I believe Gritz came back and played in this game. Guess we will find out sooner or later. Still I hate to see young men staggering off the ice injured.

Gritz was back out on the power play for Sebrango's penalty.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I should clarify as well that I do think removing head hits is a great thing. I just don't think the league ever gets it right. Case in point - how and why does it take so long for them to announce a ruling?

Also, on the Sebrango hit - part of why I didn't like the call is it almost seemed like a 50/50 puck and he more stood his ground and braced himself than actually skated into a deliberate hit. On a puck like that, he'd have to actively get out of the way and hurt his team and draw the ire of his coach or put himself in a vulnerable position by not paying any attention to the body hurtling at him.

I'm definitely not one to blame the victim in any circumstance, but there's definitely grey area on plays like this one. These kids also deserve to be protected from themselves. And the removal of physicality leads to plays like this where players feel emboldened to lunge at full speed for a 50/50 puck almost recklessly assuming there won't be consequences. So what that means is that when a player actually stands them up like Sebrango did, the risk of injury is much higher because the player took no preventative action. Just sayin'.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I can’t believe we’re still talking about the hit. It was a thing of beauty and shouldn’t have even been a penalty.

Gritz should keep his head up and I want Sebrango to make that play 10/10 times.

Reactions: GeoBlue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I can’t believe we’re still talking about the hit. It was a thing of beauty and shouldn’t have even been a penalty.

Gritz should keep his head up and I want Sebrango to make that play 10/10 times.
Cole Fraser throws three or four of those a game. He gets the odd penalty but I would love to see him in a Ranger uni.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
View media item 3453
Maybe it was head to head contact that caused Gritz to go down
That frame is after the frame I posted. Gritz's head is now going up as Sebrango is righting himself after the hit. Matters not....the OHL suspended Tresoor for a clean open ice hit.....they'll suspend Sebrango. They won't however suspend a player for cross checking a player's head into the glass and drawing blood........

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That frame is after the frame I posted. Gritz's head is now going up as Sebrango is righting himself after the hit. Matters not....the OHL suspended Tresoor for a clean open ice hit.....they'll suspend Sebrango. They won't however suspend a player for cross checking a player's head into the glass and drawing blood........

I agree. And about that crosschecking incident you're talking about. Had that player from Guelph been suspended for the blindside headshot that he gave Vallati in last year's playoffs, maybe he thinks twice about running Meireles' face into the glass from behind.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree. And about that crosschecking incident you're talking about. Had that player from Guelph been suspended for the blindside headshot that he gave Vallati in last year's playoffs, maybe he thinks twice about running Meireles' face into the glass from behind.

Or the blatant slew foot that Gentles still hasn't returned from that went unpenalized. And that was my point about the league never getting it right. Intentionally malicious plays should be the ones they target as top priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->