Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ya, I think I am going to have to do that for a couple games. Just wish I knew ahead of time which games so I could buy a package. Is OHL Live reliable if buying the game the afternoon of the game?
Game is on Rogers!

Reactions: Torgo

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Meant to note this earlier......about the good old CHL top 10. How does London even get rated that high with the record it has right now?? There are teams in the Honourable Mention with better records....

It should be based on what a team is doing not what a team "might" do. Nuff said.

I personally disagree. I always thought that the top 10 was a bit of a farce as all they did was look at the records. A team can go 4 - 0 one week while playing weaker teams whereas another team can go 0 - 4 will losing 4 games in overtime against contenders. The first team might have the better "record" but the 2nd team might have very realistically been the "higher rated" team of the week.

That being said, I wonder how closely these "raters" look at the actual team attributes every week.

Reactions: three dog night

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Last nights game was pretty chippy. Lots of extra whacks with sticks, crosschecks etc. Definitely had some feeling to it, which was nice to see.

Hope for some better results tonight, but I wouldn’t say the Rangers were bad in SSM. 2nd period they were flat, but they played fairly well.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers really had no answer last night to the Soo's top line IMO. They had some scoring chances but could not solve Soo tender until it was too late. In the play offs last season they had a player screen and bother him. Not so much last night. Our size showed up some what in last night's contest. Rangers really had issues moving the puck out of the defensive end. Hopefully they can put a better game together tonight.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
The Soo played a great game and Villalta had a great night in net. The Rangers didn't have their usual compete level all throughout the game. They just couldn't get much going in the second. Hall and Lipanov looked pretty good but will need some games to get their game rhythm back.

On to Flint, who might be very motivated as their coach resigned last night.

Gotta cut these Rangers some slack, games like this one are going to happen from time to time. If they can keep their compete level up throughout a game and use their speed to their advantage, they'll be in most games.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I personally disagree. I always thought that the top 10 was a bit of a farce as all they did was look at the records. A team can go 4 - 0 one week while playing weaker teams whereas another team can go 0 - 4 will losing 4 games in overtime against contenders. The first team might have the better "record" but the 2nd team might have very realistically been the "higher rated" team of the week.

That being said, I wonder how closely these "raters" look at the actual team attributes every week.

Interesting perspective. Still, the farce now is that London is even rated in it...

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Interesting perspective. Still, the farce now is that London is even rated in it...

Not that I think they should be in the top 10, but the Greyhounds thoroughly outplayed and defeated London in their own barn. They also have a better record. It just goes to show how little thought goes into these rankings.

That being said, I think the Rangers might make another appearance if they get solid goaltending this year.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Rangers really had no answer last night to the Soo's top line IMO. They had some scoring chances but could not solve Soo tender until it was too late. In the play offs last season they had a player screen and bother him. Not so much last night. Our size showed up some what in last night's contest. Rangers really had issues moving the puck out of the defensive end. Hopefully they can put a better game together tonight.

Right now the Rangers only sustained pressure comes from the Damiani, Gareffa, Hugg line and once in a while Miereles line chips in a bit. When Joey G was moved to defense and Miereles to that line in the 3rd and double shifted the last 10 minuted Kitchener controlled the game. Otherwise not so much. And without Joey on defence, we get almost nothing from back there

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
Right now the Rangers only sustained pressure comes from the Damiani, Gareffa, Hugg line and once in a while Miereles line chips in a bit. When Joey G was moved to defense and Miereles to that line in the 3rd and double shifted the last 10 minuted Kitchener controlled the game. Otherwise not so much. And without Joey on defence, we get almost nothing from back there
Rangers had a hot start now reality is setting in.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I would say most posters on this board have posted very realistic expectations of the Rangers this season. Yes the fast start was a little surprising, but most posters are happy with the compete level of this team. 6th place in the conference iswhere many predict the Rangers could end up.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I would say most posters on this board have posted very realistic expectations of the Rangers this season. Yes the fast start was a little surprising, but most posters are happy with the compete level of this team. 6th place in the conference iswhere many predict the Rangers could end up.
Good morning Sheila. I think one important thing we can all take from this year is that the players have all bought into the system. They realize they will only win games by competing every shift and it seems to be contagious. With the players that moved on the older players know they have to step up. It creates competition on the lines either to stay on a top line or if on the bubble to stay in the line up. Fear is a great motivator. I think most fans are realistic. There will be ups and downs with a rebuild so as long as the compete level is there most fans will be happy. Never saw the game last night. Flint is missing the top four or five players so you have to put that into perspective I guess.

Reactions: OhSheila

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
Good morning Sheila. I think one important thing we can all take from this year is that the players have all bought into the system. They realize they will only win games by competing every shift and it seems to be contagious. With the players that moved on the older players know they have to step up. It creates competition on the lines either to stay on a top line or if on the bubble to stay in the line up. Fear is a great motivator. I think most fans are realistic. There will be ups and downs with a rebuild so as long as the compete level is there most fans will be happy. Never saw the game last night. Flint is missing the top four or five players so you have to put that into perspective I guess.
That's a given at the OHL level, the compete has to be there otherwise your gone.

Reactions: Packman

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That's a given at the OHL level, the compete has to be there otherwise your gone.
Although I get your point. That wasn't really my point Kenny in this instance. I was referring more about this years squad having to compete because of the circumstances of having so many Ranger vets moving on. The coach has options and the players know it.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The Rangers lost a lot of talent in the off-season, but if you think about the players who returned, it was almost all the high-work-rate players. McHugh, Meireles, Hugg, Garreffa, etc. were the motors. The guys who left were much more talented but far lower work rates. So you knew that would change the dynamic of the team and create some different kind of wins. But I think most posters had them between 5th and 8th in the conference. I had them 7th. So there's not a lot of delusion on this board.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Tough time against the Soo and a hot goalie but didn't give up. Lowly Flint's goalie had a stellar game up until Damiani came back in the the 3rd and the Rangers rattle off 3 unanswered goals. Then in their 3rd of the weekend, they played quite well against Saginaw and only lost 2-1. I noticed a lot of line shuffling as McKee tests some combinations now that Lipanov is on board. While 7th or 8th in the conference may happen, the Rangers might just surprise by landing higher as long as they remain healthy, committed, and tenacious. Can they keep that up for the whole season? I guess we're going to find out. One thing's for sure, they're going to be fun to watch this season and isn't that all we can ask of a team in rebuild mode?

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
I had Storm season tickets for 25 years and recently acquired Ranger season's tickets 2 years ago because I moved here. I found part of Guelph's rebuilding or lack there of , was they wouldn't trade assets at the deadline; Examples Ryan Parent, Tyler Bertuzzi, Jason Dickenson and the list goes on. I think part of the reason was their perceived loyalty or friendship to the players. You have to think more like the Hunter's to be successful in this league. I'm hoping MM has some Hunter in him. LOL

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
I actually found myself listening to most of the action this weekend on the radio. Hockey can be tough on the radio but in all honesty I find it harder watching the TV broadcasts from other cities and I'm not just talking about homers. It seems that very few broadcasters can consistently pronounce names correctly or keep up with the play. And then there's the camera work that actually doesn't help much at all or even sometimes misses plays. In the big picture I'm glad for the coverage we get but listening to the radio so much this weekend was pretty eye-opening. The game on 570 actually had a lot of really good information, from an interview with the GM in Flint about the coach quitting to the Hockey Helps the Homeless tournament in Waterloo coming up later this month. There also seemed to be attention paid to the other teams with great stories about Hayton in the Soo and Delandrea in Flint. Anyway, I know it's a subjective thing and some people will love Joe Bowen while others hate him with the same going for Jim Hughson, Bob Cole, etc. But our guys are pretty polished and put together something worth listening to. It was also apparent that Josh Brown wasn't on the road this weekend. I'm sure it's a budget issue at the paper but it goes to show again how spoiled we are by the coverage we get in this community.

Whatever the case, I really enjoyed the coverage I was able to get this weekend. My two cents. Or more like four.

What a massive weekend coming up for the boys! We'll start to create some separation in the division for sure.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I actually found myself listening to most of the action this weekend on the radio. Hockey can be tough on the radio but in all honesty I find it harder watching the TV broadcasts from other cities and I'm not just talking about homers. It seems that very few broadcasters can consistently pronounce names correctly or keep up with the play. And then there's the camera work that actually doesn't help much at all or even sometimes misses plays. In the big picture I'm glad for the coverage we get but listening to the radio so much this weekend was pretty eye-opening. The game on 570 actually had a lot of really good information, from an interview with the GM in Flint about the coach quitting to the Hockey Helps the Homeless tournament in Waterloo coming up later this month. There also seemed to be attention paid to the other teams with great stories about Hayton in the Soo and Delandrea in Flint. Anyway, I know it's a subjective thing and some people will love Joe Bowen while others hate him with the same going for Jim Hughson, Bob Cole, etc. But our guys are pretty polished and put together something worth listening to. It was also apparent that Josh Brown wasn't on the road this weekend. I'm sure it's a budget issue at the paper but it goes to show again how spoiled we are by the coverage we get in this community.

Whatever the case, I really enjoyed the coverage I was able to get this weekend. My two cents. Or more like four.

What a massive weekend coming up for the boys! We'll start to create some separation in the division for sure.

ive listened to your broadcast when windsor is in town, farwell comes across as a bit of a 'hot take' artist, he complains alot about random things. just call the game, not everything needs to be an issue.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Not surprised at all with Serbrango bing invited. Hopefully the invite will ne a boost to Valade and get him going. I guess it would have been gluttony to have Langdon invited also.

I wouldn’t even complain with the way Valade has played given his role. Definitely not the scoring touch i’ve expected, so yes maybe this will light a spark. Still not complaining about the forechecking/backchecking he’s brought so far

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
ive listened to your broadcast when windsor is in town, farwell comes across as a bit of a 'hot take' artist, he complains alot about random things. just call the game, not everything needs to be an issue.
It's no different when the team is out of town if you listen to the home town Windsor guys broadcasting. These guys all have a different styles and points of view. Farwell does a good job. He does show some passion which is fine also.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->