Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It's no different when the team is out of town if you listen to the home town Windsor guys broadcasting. These guys all have a different styles and points of view. Farwell does a good job. He does show some passion which is fine also.

home town guys who pump their guys are expected, farwell complains about everything from refs, the shots, other coaches. he’s fairly good when he just calls the game, not sure why he needs the sideshow stuff, not everything is an issue to be complained about or give a hot take about.

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
home town guys who pump their guys are expected, farwell complains about everything from refs, the shots, other coaches. he’s fairly good when he just calls the game, not sure why he needs the sideshow stuff, not everything is an issue to be complained about or give a hot take about.
This may be true but you are missing my point. Farwell is Farwell. He has a passion for what he does. I have listened to a bunch of Hockey analyst and if there are two talking on the radio at least one is a homer. The Windsor TV guys are good but one yaps and calls for penalties every time an opposing player goes near a Spit and yells they got away with one. We don't wear halos here and I am sure Windsor hasn't cornered the market on them either

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This may be true but you are missing my point. Farwell is Farwell. He has a passion for what he does. I have listened to a bunch of Hockey analyst and if there are two talking on the radio at least one is a homer. The Windsor TV guys are good but one yaps and calls for penalties every time an opposing player goes near a Spit and yells they got away with one. We don't wear halos here and I am sure Windsor hasn't cornered the market on them either

it’s not a Windsor v Kitchener thing, windsor guys are average at best. i use to listen to don cameron and he just called the game. he didn’t take shots at refs or shot counters, just did his job. it’s like bob cole, just describe the game. farwell gets in his own way, he spends time complaining about various things, which as a play by play guy is death, that’s not your job. you should be telling me what happened and what is happening, not ripping into someone or a shot counter while the play is going on.

just call the game, don cameron was awesome at it. if you want to use twitter to rant and give ohl hot takes feel free, do it there, don’t let the hot takes get in the way of calling the game.

Farwell has the talent and ability to be one of the best, but his need to rant and complain get in the way

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
it’s not a Windsor v Kitchener thing, windsor guys are average at best. i use to listen to don cameron and he just called the game. he didn’t take shots at refs or shot counters, just did his job. it’s like bob cole, just describe the game. farwell gets in his own way, he spends time complaining about various things, which as a play by play guy is death, that’s not your job. you should be telling me what happened and what is happening, not ripping into someone or a shot counter while the play is going on.

just call the game, don cameron was awesome at it. if you want to use twitter to rant and give ohl hot takes feel free, do it there, don’t let the hot takes get in the way of calling the game.

Farwell has the talent and ability to be one of the best, but his need to rant and complain get in the way
Not sure what you mean when you say "hot takes". Why do you listen to Farwell anyway? You have your own radio guys. Personally if I watch an away game and can't stand the homerism I turn off the TV volume and turn on the radio. If I don't like what I hear on the radio I turn that off and watch the game muted where I eat popcorn and criticize the refs for missing calls on the Rangers. As I said Farwell is Farwell. He isn't going to change his style because people don't like what he says. I don't agree with every thing he says and I think it's the same for every broadcaster. Not every one likes Don Cherry but there he is every week ranting on. Don Cameron was a 50 year pro and on a different plane than most. Hey I appreciate your point of view.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not sure what you mean when you say "hot takes". Why do you listen to Farwell anyway? You have your own radio guys. Personally if I watch an away game and can't stand the homerism I turn off the TV volume and turn on the radio. If I don't like what I hear on the radio I turn that off and watch the game muted where I eat popcorn and criticize the refs for missing calls on the Rangers. As I said Farwell is Farwell. He isn't going to change his style because people don't like what he says. I don't agree with every thing he says and I think it's the same for every broadcaster. Not every one likes Don Cherry but there he is every week ranting on. Don Cameron was a 50 year pro and on a different plane than most. Hey I appreciate your point of view.
I miss Gary Doyle - for me one of the best play by play guys in the league. Your new guy ( Ray I think) is brutal. Pretty hard to find good guys at this level - they are basically volunteers.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
On another note, congratulations to Richardson for being named to the Canada Russia series. Wouldn't have called that one coming in to the season but well deserved and happy to see a homegrown Ranger goalie get to represent.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I miss Gary Doyle - for me one of the best play by play guys in the league. Your new guy ( Ray I think) is brutal. Pretty hard to find good guys at this level - they are basically volunteers.
Yeah, I do miss Gary too. Smart, witty, called the play well. I have no idea why they got rid of him.
While I do admit Ryan seems to struggle now and then with accurately describing the play, I do admire his passion. It almost seems like for him, calling the play is a dream-come-true having grown up watching them play....and I can say with certainty that he does a heck of a lot better job than I ever would :) .

Mind you this comes from a guy who grew up on a farm in the southwestern corner of rural Wellesley Township where, as a kid, I was just grateful to be able to pull in the Tuesday night Hamilton Red Wing broadcasts on CHCH with bunny ears and a black & white TV - LOL. Got a steady diet of Buster Harvey, Jim Shoenfeld, Mike Veisor, Rick Kehoe and Pat Hickey - just to name a few. It seemed bigger than life when I was able to see Paul Evans and the Kitchener Rangers drop into the Hamilton Forum - all from the comfort of ye ole farmhouse.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, I do miss Gary too. Smart, witty, called the play well. I have no idea why they got rid of him.
While I do admit Ryan seems to struggle now and then with accurately describing the play, I do admire his passion. It almost seems like for him, calling the play is a dream-come-true having grown up watching them play....and I can say with certainty that he does a heck of a lot better job than I ever would :) .

Mind you this comes from a guy who grew up on a farm in the southwestern corner of rural Wellesley Township where, as a kid, I was just grateful to be able to pull in the Tuesday night Hamilton Red Wing broadcasts on CHCH with bunny ears and a black & white TV - LOL. Got a steady diet of Buster Harvey, Jim Shoenfeld, Mike Veisor, Rick Kehoe and Pat Hickey - just to name a few. It seemed bigger than life when I was able to see Paul Evans and the Kitchener Rangers drop into the Hamilton Forum - all from the comfort of ye ole farmhouse.
I suspect that Ranger blue runs through the Kovarik family since there was a Jamie Kovarik (father??) who had a cup of coffee with the Rangers in the 70s (I also believe jamie was the stick boy prior)
As for Gary Doyle, he was a man of class and integrity who's knowledge of the OHL ran deep. His professionalism is deeply missed. Kitchener fans were blessed to have both Don and Gary doing radio for all those years then Gary on Rogers TV games.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I suspect that Ranger blue runs through the Kovarik family since there was a Jamie Kovarik (father??) who had a cup of coffee with the Rangers in the 70s (I also believe jamie was the stick boy prior)
As for Gary Doyle, he was a man of class and integrity who's knowledge of the OHL ran deep. His professionalism is deeply missed. Kitchener fans were blessed to have both Don and Gary doing radio for all those years then Gary on Rogers TV games.
Great post! A lot of these volenteers took media in college and are probably working these jobs for experience. It's basically the same league wide. I have no issues with these guys since I found out they invented channel changers. I have mine in a holster:)

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

I remember those days, with the camera behind the support beams.

Reactions: Gondrex

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Great memory Geo :) I was going to mention exactly that. It was certainly different than watching telecasts from Maple Leaf Gardens, but for a kid, that didn't matter.
and I believe they had no glass around the boards but chainlink? Also glad someone mentioned the games were Tuesday nights since a number of yrs ago I mentioned the same and was told quite "strongly" it was Thursday nights! Long live Norm Marshall and Sandy Hoyt! :)
Other players of note or who i remember on those Wing teams were Marty Gateman, Ed Gilbert, Ron Sedlbaurer and Willie Wing with their head coach was Harry Neale!!
There was also a Syvret on the team....Danny dad???

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
and I believe they had no glass around the boards but chainlink? Also glad someone mentioned the games were Tuesday nights since a number of yrs ago I mentioned the same and was told quite "strongly" it was Thursday nights! Long live Norm Marshall and Sandy Hoyt! :)
Other players of note or who i remember on those Wing teams were Marty Gateman, Ed Gilbert, Ron Sedlbaurer and Willie Wing with their head coach was Harry Neale!!

I don't recall Harry Neale. I remember Eddie Bush coaching . Fred Speck, Pete Mahovolich and Gerry Gray playing goal. I'm not sure how good he was but he always seemed to play good vs the Rangers.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I don't recall Harry Neale. I remember Eddie Bush coaching . Fred Speck, Pete Mahovolich and Gerry Gray playing goal. I'm not sure how good he was but he always seemed to play good vs the Rangers.
Also owned by Nick Durbano who's real claim to fame is being the father of maybe the nuttiest hockey player of alltime Steve Durbano!!
For those not familiar with Steve Durbano...google him!!

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
So sounds like Petizian back in the lineup tonight and Joey G on defence. Jay McKee stated that Garreffa prefers to play there.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Also owned by Nick Durbano who's real claim to fame is being the father of maybe the nuttiest hockey player of alltime Steve Durbano!!
For those not familiar with Steve Durbano...google him!!
Saw Steve Durbano once in an exhibition game at the PMC Leafs against the islanders- they were warming up the goalie and he was drilling slap shots at the goalies head - one of his mates turned to him and asked him to ease off a bit before you take out our goalie - his response - F *@k him!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Saw Steve Durbano once in an exhibition game at the PMC Leafs against the islanders- they were warming up the goalie and he was drilling slap shots at the goalies head - one of his mates turned to him and asked him to ease off a bit before you take out our goalie - his response - F *@k him!
He also grabbed Bobby Hulls toupee' and skated down the ice with it!
Geesch, I sure miss the good old days!!! The movie SlapShot was vanilla compared to Durbano for hockey and after hockey for him.

Reactions: rangersblues

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
So sounds like Petizian back in the lineup tonight and Joey G on defence. Jay McKee stated that Garreffa prefers to play there.
I'm all for this if JG is, he does rack up his fair share of points from back there (which the Rangers do need) and he did pick-up the defensive side quite nicely last season especially in the playoffs!!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Man I can remember you coaching Gordie Howe in peewee but can't go back as far as you Ward!!! :wally::bow::)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->