Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Hugg named Captain.

Bit surprised by this.

He has what, 10 weeks left in the league?

Either way, he's earned it regardless.

No issue with Hugg. But whatever. We're at a point in the season now where it doesn't matter anymore.

But to be honest, at this point it should have gone to Damiani and then your captain question is answered for next year along with whatever "weight" there may be in being the captain, lifted. Nobody can say he doesn't deserve it.

Hall was my first choice but it is what it is regarding his season.

I still say going this long without one is lame. This business of, as McKee said, waiting for someone to "step up and claim it" is lame too.

After Hall's season was over, there were two or three easy choices to wear the "C":

IMO, in order:
McHugh
Damiani
Meireles

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
The timing perplexes me.

I don't disagree with the choice of Rickard, I just think he should have had more time to influence the team as captain.

I'm not a fan of waiting into the season to name a captain.

Hopefully next season Damiani gets the "C" before the season starts

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Honestly,

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy they had in mind for this just never seized the opportunity and they made the choice to go with the guy who did earn it.

I believe they gave it to the best candidate who is guaranteed not to return next year. If it had gone to Damiani, Meireles, Garreffa say, all are likely here next year. They wanted to give it to a graduating player so this whole process of "earning the right" to wear the "C" can begin again in September.

I hope that's not the case.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I believe they gave it to the best candidate who is guaranteed not to return next year. If it had gone to Damiani, Meireles, Garreffa say, all are likely here next year. They wanted to give it to a graduating player so this whole process of "earning the right" to wear the "C" can begin again in September.

at this point imo it is quite clear that Riley Damiani should be the captain of this team. He is realistically the only player on the Rangers that they have drafted and developed themselves. Had a near 40 point season last year on the shutdown line. Why not get him one more credential and build him a case for an ELC. That would look good on the Rangers so that they can keep getting the Isaac Langdon's and Donovan Sebrango's in upcoming drafts.

Not to mention 48 points in 36 games. Could score a huge return at next year's deadline. Then you can name Meireles/Garreffa/etc. captain for the remainder

Reactions: OhSheila

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Or the possibilty of trading the captain during the off season!

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The timing perplexes me.

I don't disagree with the choice of Rickard, I just think he should have had more time to influence the team as captain.

I'm not a fan of waiting into the season to name a captain.

Hopefully next season Damiani gets the "C" before the season starts
Sometimes in a rebuild year they should pick a younger captain if he is going to be around for a year or two. One that warrants the position. I am fine with Rickard Hugg. He seems to work hard every game. Not a ton of real captain material to chose from on this squad.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
As fans we're disadvantaged in not knowing what they're like off ice and in practice, but based on what I see in games, for me it was Meireles. Not only is he probably the most skilled player, but works his tail off every shift and often makes something of nothing. Plus, quite likely he's back for an OA year.

Reactions: GeoBlue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
As fans we're disadvantaged in not knowing what they're like off ice and in practice, but based on what I see in games, for me it was Meireles. Not only is he probably the most skilled player, but works his tail off every shift and often makes something of nothing. Plus, quite likely he's back for an OA year.
Personally I thought they would have named Meireles captain a while ago. Not sure why they didn't but like you said Tim we are never sure how these players are in the room.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Personally I thought they would have named Meireles captain a while ago. Not sure why they didn't but like you said Tim we are never sure how these players are in the room.

I agree that Meireles or Damiani would have been my first two choices as well and the timing makes no sense but I don't know if the in the room and off the ice personalities and traits were necessarily bad or not leadership level quality from those two moreover I would just assume Huggs were overall better. And although I agree with the idea of grooming a captain for next year, I still feel like MM and JM want to win this year and I really think they believe they can.. Also, I'm not sure if it was pointed out yet but Hugg was an A as a 16 year old for U18's, C as a 17 year old for U18's and most recently (well documented) A for U20's. So he's obviously a bonafide proven leader. Sure he doesn't fight or stand up for guys physically like some past captains but hes obviously doing something right! But to reiterate I don't feel like it is as much Meireles and or Damiani's lacking as much as its Huggs overwhelming leading ability Is the way I see it. Congratulations Hugg.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
for what it’s worth Victus Prep’s instagram has Peyton Adams-Matthews at 185. still decent size for a 16 year old defence

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
for what it’s worth Victus Prep’s instagram has Peyton Adams-Matthews at 185. still decent size for a 16 year old defence
FYI hockeyfan I found him on Elite Prospects playing for Port Dover Sailors Jr. C
They have him listed at 6'2" 229 pounds. Playing defense. Rangers have him listed at the same size on their draft list on the site.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Before the game tonight, we were set to pick sixth overall in the draft based on where the standings were. With tonight's win, we dropped one draft position.

Right now we have 47pts. NB has 49pts and there are four teams tied with 50pts.

With game(s) in hand on all five teams, we are 4pts from picking 12th overall. 13th really based on the fifth overall comp pick to the Petes.
We are destined to exit in the 1st round of the playoffs - possibly pretty quick. Factoring that into the equation, having the 13th overall pick in the OHL draft, and as late as the 36th overall pick in the import draft, is quite the kick in the teeth for our rebuild.

I know there are a lot of games to play, and we all agree we want to see entertaining and competitive hockey, but I can't help but look past this season and how our position in these upcoming drafts will affect our rebuild.

Nice game tonight otherwise. Good tilt by Xhekaj vs Groulx. That has to be his third this season. His next will be a suspension.

Yantsis with another. The dude could reach 50 this year. I'm starting to get really afraid he won't be back next year.

A 50 goal scorer with size who lately has been developing signs of a mean streak? Look for him to go in the NHL draft mid to late rounds and be a serious threat to make an AHL roster next year.

We keep hearing on here by some posters and elsewhere around the rink that there is no way he is ready to make the step to the next level next year. But if I was a betting man, I would certainly not be wagering much money that he will come back next year as an OA.

He's a player with size who can score. He's what every NHL team is looking for. People keep pointing out that he is not a strong skater. But I watch him every game. He has improved his skating by leaps and bounds over the last year. And he scores his goals in different ways. Sure he gets his share of garbage goals. But he also has a nice shot and is pretty good on deflections. He's a big body who is hard to move from the front of the net. The sandpaper we've been seeing lately only increases his value.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Before the game tonight, we were set to pick sixth overall in the draft based on where the standings were. With tonight's win, we dropped one draft position.

Right now we have 47pts. NB has 49pts and there are four teams tied with 50pts.

With game(s) in hand on all five teams, we are 4pts from picking 12th overall. 13th really based on the fifth overall comp pick to the Petes.
We are destined to exit in the 1st round of the playoffs - possibly pretty quick. Factoring that into the equation, having the 13th overall pick in the OHL draft, and as late as the 36th overall pick in the import draft, is quite the kick in the teeth for our rebuild.

I know there are a lot of games to play, and we all agree we want to see entertaining and competitive hockey, but I can't help but look past this season and how our position in these upcoming drafts will affect our rebuild.

Nice game tonight otherwise. Good tilt by Xhekaj vs Groulx. That has to be his third this season. His next will be a suspension.

Yantsis with another. The dude could reach 50 this year. I'm starting to get really afraid he won't be back next year.

A 50 goal scorer with size who lately has been developing signs of a mean streak? Look for him to go in the NHL draft mid to late rounds and be a serious threat to make an AHL roster next year.

We keep hearing on here by some posters and elsewhere around the rink that there is no way he is ready to make the step to the next level next year. But if I was a betting man, I would certainly not be wagering much money that he will come back next year as an OA.

He's a player with size who can score. He's what every NHL team is looking for. People keep pointing out that he is not a strong skater. But I watch him every game. He has improved his skating by leaps and bounds over the last year. And he scores his goals in different ways. Sure he gets his share of garbage goals. But he also has a nice shot and is pretty good on deflections. He's a big body who is hard to move from the front of the net. The sandpaper we've been seeing lately only increases his value.
Good points Even. Yantsis has really stepped up this year. It's incredible how much he improved given the opportunity. As for garbage goals probably over 90% of goals scored in the NHL come from scrums around the front of the net. Yantsis has made some incredible passes a few times lately. If opposing teams give him time and space he will score .

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
A couple of things about Even's post:

I am in the high draft pick boat as well. I never want to wish for a losing culture or a bad team, but it'd be nice to stay on the bottom end of that heap of teams all clustered together. When three or four points can cost you three or four draft slots, it's definitely better not to pick up those points. It won't get us anywhere this year. Having said that, I'll never complain too much about my team winning.

As for Yantsis, this year has come out of nowhere and he still has major concerns in his game. Not just that his skating is well below AHL calibre, but his D zone coverage is still a work in progress. Given that he's a late bloomer, I think many will feel he could benefit from another year in the OHL. But 50 is a big number and people take note of that. When you're 6'3 and pot 50 goals, some pro team is going to give you a shot. If so, it's really too bad we gave McHugh away.

Finally, if I'm not mistaken, I think that is technically only fight #2 for Xhekaj as Noel instigated against him, meaning it doesn't count against his tally.

Reactions: bobber

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Team had a wicked trip home last night from Owen Sound. Took longer to get home than it did to play the game. They only got back at 3:30am after the game ended at 9:30pm. Most of the highways in Grey were closed yikes!

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Team had a wicked trip home last night from Owen Sound. Took longer to get home than it did to play the game. They only got back at 3:30am after the game ended at 9:30pm. Most of the highways in Grey were closed yikes!

I am wondering if they looked at staying in OS last night but just couldn't find a hotel.

When I lived there I worked at the BW across the parking lot and I know they would have been booked before 1140 am yesterday.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

In fact every single road in Grey and Bruce Counties were closed by OPP. Plows pulled off the roads. Many stranded on rural roads

Same conditions this morning .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I am wondering if they looked at staying in OS last night but just couldn't find a hotel.

When I lived there I worked at the BW across the parking lot and I know they would have been booked before 1140 am yesterday.
I spoke with someone at the game, not a room to be had in town due to the Storm .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

I am in the high draft pick boat as well. I never want to wish for a losing culture or a bad team, but it'd be nice to stay on the bottom end of that heap of teams all clustered together. When three or four points can cost you three or four draft slots, it's definitely better not to pick up those points. It won't get us anywhere this year. Having said that, I'll never complain too much about my team winning.

I have a feeling the Attack will 'pass' the Rangers in the race to the bottom soon

Reactions: Tim Wallach

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Farwell said it was a nightmare getting home. They found 2 rooms in Owen Sound and 4 rooms out side of town. They piled a bunch in the rooms in town and when they got to the other the guy only had 2 instead of 4. Luckily they noticed that the road was open just passed the second spot. They went back and gathered the team and equipment and headed home arrive 6½ hours after the game was over. Game should have been cancelled. Kind of dangerous to be out with all the whiteouts and closures. Less than 500 made it. Was surprised there were Ranger fans up there.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

As for Yantsis, this year has come out of nowhere and he still has major concerns in his game. Not just that his skating is well below AHL calibre, but his D zone coverage is still a work in progress. Given that he's a late bloomer, I think many will feel he could benefit from another year in the OHL. But 50 is a big number and people take note of that. When you're 6'3 and pot 50 goals, some pro team is going to give you a shot. If so, it's really too bad we gave McHugh away.

Finally, if I'm not mistaken, I think that is technically only fight #2 for Xhekaj as Noel instigated against him, meaning it doesn't count against his tally.

Gimme a team consistently in the top third of the league year after year which IMHO can be done with some backbone in the GM and owner (COO).
It needs to be done with smart drafting and player development (easier said than done but is achievable). Then trading of a player or two every yr
to accumulate multiple high draft picks.

The unspoken item that's never discussed about being in the top third of the league is it makes the team a desired location for a player to come to.
Sure you may draft 15th but with how the draft works that 15th draft pick could actually be a lot higher than that in talent.
Winning culture is so much better than a few higher slots on the draft board!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad