Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
A couple of things about Even's post:

I am in the high draft pick boat as well. I never want to wish for a losing culture or a bad team, but it'd be nice to stay on the bottom end of that heap of teams all clustered together. When three or four points can cost you three or four draft slots, it's definitely better not to pick up those points. It won't get us anywhere this year. Having said that, I'll never complain too much about my team winning.

As for Yantsis, this year has come out of nowhere and he still has major concerns in his game. Not just that his skating is well below AHL calibre, but his D zone coverage is still a work in progress. Given that he's a late bloomer, I think many will feel he could benefit from another year in the OHL. But 50 is a big number and people take note of that. When you're 6'3 and pot 50 goals, some pro team is going to give you a shot. If so, it's really too bad we gave McHugh away.

Finally, if I'm not mistaken, I think that is technically only fight #2 for Xhekaj as Noel instigated against him, meaning it doesn't count against his tally.
Came here to say this. For these reasons I see him back. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets picked with a late round pick or (more likely imo) is signed in the post-draft window of time where you are allowed to sign players that just went undrafted.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Before the game tonight, we were set to pick sixth overall in the draft based on where the standings were. With tonight's win, we dropped one draft position.

Right now we have 47pts. NB has 49pts and there are four teams tied with 50pts.

With game(s) in hand on all five teams, we are 4pts from picking 12th overall. 13th really based on the fifth overall comp pick to the Petes.
We are destined to exit in the 1st round of the playoffs - possibly pretty quick. Factoring that into the equation, having the 13th overall pick in the OHL draft, and as late as the 36th overall pick in the import draft, is quite the kick in the teeth for our rebuild.

I know there are a lot of games to play, and we all agree we want to see entertaining and competitive hockey, but I can't help but look past this season and how our position in these upcoming drafts will affect our rebuild.

Nice game tonight otherwise. Good tilt by Xhekaj vs Groulx. That has to be his third this season. His next will be a suspension.

Yantsis with another. The dude could reach 50 this year. I'm starting to get really afraid he won't be back next year.

A 50 goal scorer with size who lately has been developing signs of a mean streak? Look for him to go in the NHL draft mid to late rounds and be a serious threat to make an AHL roster next year.

We keep hearing on here by some posters and elsewhere around the rink that there is no way he is ready to make the step to the next level next year. But if I was a betting man, I would certainly not be wagering much money that he will come back next year as an OA.

He's a player with size who can score. He's what every NHL team is looking for. People keep pointing out that he is not a strong skater. But I watch him every game. He has improved his skating by leaps and bounds over the last year. And he scores his goals in different ways. Sure he gets his share of garbage goals. But he also has a nice shot and is pretty good on deflections. He's a big body who is hard to move from the front of the net. The sandpaper we've been seeing lately only increases his value.
A couple of things about Even's post:

I am in the high draft pick boat as well. I never want to wish for a losing culture or a bad team, but it'd be nice to stay on the bottom end of that heap of teams all clustered together. When three or four points can cost you three or four draft slots, it's definitely better not to pick up those points. It won't get us anywhere this year. Having said that, I'll never complain too much about my team winning.

As for Yantsis, this year has come out of nowhere and he still has major concerns in his game. Not just that his skating is well below AHL calibre, but his D zone coverage is still a work in progress. Given that he's a late bloomer, I think many will feel he could benefit from another year in the OHL. But 50 is a big number and people take note of that. When you're 6'3 and pot 50 goals, some pro team is going to give you a shot. If so, it's really too bad we gave McHugh away.

Finally, if I'm not mistaken, I think that is technically only fight #2 for Xhekaj as Noel instigated against him, meaning it doesn't count against his tally.

don’t forget about Peterborough’s compensation pick for Cuylle, pushing them down another spot

Reactions: bobber

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
for the fun of it, let's say we get our hopes and 1) they draft an 02 import goalie that reports and 2) Yantsis gets drafted/signed but is returned to the OHL. Richardson is the surplus OA/goalie and this trade is made in the offseason:

Kitchener:
99 G Luke Richardson

Saginaw:
SAG 6th 2020
SBY 4th 2021

Him and Lennox split the starter role in a 4-6 conference finish year.

Yantsis is an OA expected to put up 50 goals. I look to the Sam Miletic trade in 2017-18, in which the Knights got 3 2nds and a 3rd for Sam Miletic and a 3rd. Miletic was on a way better team than Yantsis is and Yantsis is on pace to outscore him still, so around October/November, here is my 2nd trade:

Kitchener:
99 RW Jonathan Yantsis

Ottawa:
OS 2nd 2021
WSR 2nd 2022
OTT 3rd 2020
OTT 5th 2022

Yantsis gets a shot to win in Ottawa. Down to only 2 OAs, so:

Kitchener:
MISS 8th 2020

Sudbury:
99 LD Ryan O'Bonsawin

Come trade deadline, is similar, potentially worse than they are now. Time to trade who I hope to be the captain:

Kitchener:
00 C Riley Damiani

Peterborough:
02 RW Cameron Butler
PBO 2nd 2022
KIT 2nd 2024
PBO 3rd 2021

Damiani should complete what should be a strong offensive group next season.

Overall, they haul in:
Ryan O'Bonsawin
Cameron Butler
4x 2nds
2x 3rds
1x 4th
1x 5th
1x 6th

The team looks like:

Garreffa-Meireles-Stepien
Petizian-Langdon-Valade
03 Draft Pick-Tresoor-Butler
Guest-Serpa-Dickerson/Gordon

Vukojevic-MacPherson
Xhekaj-Sebrango
Rupoli-O'Bonsawin/03 Draft Pick

Pfeil
02 import
03 Draft Pick (G/OJHL)

Last edited:
Reactions: flamebird

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
for the fun of it, let's say we get our hopes and 1) they draft an 02 import goalie that reports and 2) Yantsis gets drafted/signed but is returned to the OHL. Richardson is the surplus OA/goalie and this trade is made in the offseason:

Kitchener:
99 G Luke Richardson

Saginaw:
SAG 6th 2020
SBY 4th 2021

Him and Lennox split the starter role in a 4-6 conference finish year.

Yantsis is an OA expected to put up 50 goals. I look to the Sam Miletic trade in 2017-18, in which the Knights got 3 2nds and a 3rd for Sam Miletic and a 3rd. Miletic was on a way better team than Yantsis is and Yantsis is on pace to outscore him still, so around October/November, here is my 2nd trade:

Kitchener:
99 RW Jonathan Yantsis

Ottawa:
OS 2nd 2021
WSR 2nd 2022
OTT 3rd 2020
OTT 5th 2022

Yantsis gets a shot to win in Ottawa. Down to only 2 OAs, so:

Kitchener:
MISS 8th 2020

Sudbury:
99 LD Ryan O'Bonsawin

Come trade deadline, is similar, potentially worse than they are now. Time to trade who I hope to be the captain:

Kitchener:
00 C Riley Damiani

Peterborough:
02 RW Cameron Butler
PBO 2nd 2022
KIT 2nd 2024
PBO 3rd 2021

Damiani should complete what should be a strong offensive group next season.

Overall, they haul in:
Ryan O'Bonsawin
Cameron Butler
4x 2nds
2x 3rds
1x 4th
1x 5th
1x 6th

The team looks like:

Garreffa-Meireles-Stepien
Petizian-Langdon-Valade
03 Draft Pick-Tresoor-Butler
Guest-Serpa-Dickerson/Gordon

Vukojevic-MacPherson
Xhekaj-Sebrango
Rupoli-O'Bonsawin/03 Draft Pick

Pfeil
02 import
03 Draft Pick (G/OJHL)

I like what you've done here. The only thing though is that I would try and move Meireles and Garreffa as well.

Based on his play this year, Meireles could be among the top 5 OA's next year. He would bring very good return based on that.

Garreffa, as far as I'm concerned, should be moved for two reasons. Number one, he wants to play defence full-time and this coaching staff is refusing to play him there. So move him to another team who will allow him to play his preferred position. (I wouldn't be surprised if a trade is requested for this reason) Number two, if he is a Ranger next year, this coaching staff will give him massive power-play minutes on the blueline. As far as I'm concerned, next year being a rebuilding year, Vukojevic and Sebrango should get all the power-play time in preparation for the 20-21 season.

Go with two more inexpensive OA's to replace Meireles and Garreffa. Also, use next year to work on the OA's for the 20-21 season. Based on the return we got for McHugh, it may be cheaper to acquire a 20-21 OA candidate or two next year. Right now our 00 group is thin. After the Damiani trade, we have four 00's on the roster. With the import G, Pfiel will be out of our plans. I'll eat my hat if Guest is an OA here if we are contending. The jury is out on Rupoli so MacPherson is our only legit OA candidate for 20-21.

I'd also try and add a comp pick in the Damiani deal on him playing an OA season.

I know it's asking a lot for MM to move all four of Yantsis, Meireles, Garreffa and Damiani, but as you said to start your post, "for the fun of it"
:)

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I like what you've done here. The only thing though is that I would try and move Meireles and Garreffa as well.

Based on his play this year, Meireles could be among the top 5 OA's next year. He would bring very good return based on that.

Garreffa, as far as I'm concerned, should be moved for two reasons. Number one, he wants to play defence full-time and this coaching staff is refusing to play him there. So move him to another team who will allow him to play his preferred position. (I wouldn't be surprised if a trade is requested for this reason) Number two, if he is a Ranger next year, this coaching staff will give him massive power-play minutes on the blueline. As far as I'm concerned, next year being a rebuilding year, Vukojevic and Sebrango should get all the power-play time in preparation for the 20-21 season.

Go with two more inexpensive OA's to replace Meireles and Garreffa. Also, use next year to work on the OA's for the 20-21 season. Based on the return we got for McHugh, it may be cheaper to acquire a 20-21 OA candidate or two next year. Right now our 00 group is thin. After the Damiani trade, we have four 00's on the roster. With the import G, Pfiel will be out of our plans. I'll eat my hat if Guest is an OA here if we are contending. The jury is out on Rupoli so MacPherson is our only legit OA candidate for 20-21.

I'd also try and add a comp pick in the Damiani deal on him playing an OA season.

I know it's asking a lot for MM to move all four of Yantsis, Meireles, Garreffa and Damiani, but as you said to start your post, "for the fun of it"
:)

I see where you're coming from. I'd enjoy that as well. Unfortunately, it appears Stevey B isn't too keen on the whole fire sale idea but it would for sure be fun to see it. Don't see what everyone sees in Garreffa on the point. Yea he was good in the playoffs, but why go back to defence if you are just gonna skate with the puck like a forward. just my opinion. seems like a great kid and heard he's good with the young guys. Wish him the best whatever team and position he plays on.

In terms of the 00 group, I completely agree. Rupoli seems like a bigger, older Xhekaj. I didn't even bother to do a trade for him or Guest because it would be for nearly nothing and there is no way you can get a player worth while in return.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Riley Damiani is an elite OHL player.

He's fast getting there. By the next trade deadline, he should be one of the best all around elite players in the OHL.

Possibly THE best one on the market should MM put him there.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Complete game and good compete level Friday night. Love the Hugg/Damiani combo. Nice to see Joseph Serpa get called up. He really hustles and almost scored. He'll be a nice addition next season. Meireles is a workhorse. I love his play with and without the puck. I thought the D as a whole played a very strong game.

I love reading all the opinions here. Can't say I agree with everyone all the time and I'm very sure not everyone agrees with me all the time. Just sharing mine here. When you see how Owen Sound looks after their full sell off, they don't have much to build around for next year. Yes, they replenished their draft cupboard and they'll draft in a high position. They can also use some of their draft picks in trades to strengthen their team but it's going to take sometime before they're at a high compete level again. That said, I enjoy reading the hypothetical trades.

I completely agree with selling top assets for future success, but the the timing and value have to be right and you can't sell so many that you have very little to build around.

For both us and Owen Sound, strong scouting and drafting are going to be very important and ours really has to improve.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Regardless of what happened at the trade deadline this team can compete providing they get competitive goaltending. The fans love winning hockey games but also like to see a great effort when losing. The young players are getting ice. They are starting to show more confidence and are not afraid to try different moves. Looks good going forward.

Reactions: OhSheila and LDN

Knightsrule

Jun 25, 2018
Knights fan here attending Feb 2nd game. Anyone outline recent lines and d pairings and who to watch. Thanks.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Breaking news:
Warmup has just ended, and #55 and #8 just played rock, paper, scissors to see who would be the last off the ice.
#55 won.
You see that's the type of useless information you just don't get from watching the game on tv...

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Breaking news:
Warmup has just ended, and #55 and #8 just played rock, paper, scissors to see who would be the last off the ice.
#55 won.
You see that's the type of useless information you just don't get from watching the game on tv...

from the sounds of it Valade always wins

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Kitchener has been solid tonight but if you're watching closely you can see all the warts in Yantsis's defensive game that he needs to fix. Lack of commitment to lanes and body/stick position through the neutral zone and on his boards. Those things matter. Chances often occur later in the shift but that's where it starts.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Good effort for the Rangers. Playing the Knights little things matter. Face offs according to Pope were 39-9 in London favor. In saying that not a bad game for a rebuilding team against the top squad in the West.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
one thing I've noticed whether it's from watching the games or simply looking at the box score of Rangers games is how much Jay McKee uses those top 2 lines, regardless of the score or how they are playing. The Damiani line must've had 5-6 shifts in the 1st 10 minutes. Looking at box scores in the games that are blowouts in Kitchener's favour, it seems that the 1st powerplay (Damiani, Hugg, Meireles, Yantsis, Garreffa) are getting the 6th and 7th goals in the last 5 minutes of a game. It's also got to hurt the confidence of Reid Valade to watch his fellow 02s in Langdon and Sebrango go out on the secondary powerplay and penalty kill units while he watches from the bench. Not to say those guys haven't earned it, Sebrango especially has shown that he deserves it. Valade certainly gets all kinds of chances and is one of my favourite first round Rangers picks in recent years. Would like to see him get some more opportunities

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Valade has had a lot of opportunity. At one point, he was on the top line. I believe he's going to turn out just fine, he's just having a tough first season.

Ever watch how often Hunter plays his top line? Same with Babcock with the Leafs. There a top line because they play more often. This isn't house league hockey where everybody gets equal playing time. It's competitive hockey and you play to win, so your best players play more often.

Loved the compete level of the Rangers, but you have too hand it to the Knights who had that extra gear especially on the Coombe goal that made it 3-2. Give the Knights the edge in skill too. That's what superior drafting does. The Knights were also with Formenton.

These games show the need for MM to really step up the scouting quality of this team. New eyes and opinions are needed. It's the biggest area in need of improvement for the Rangers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelKRangers

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Hunter always plays the hell out of his top players. They are in contention and want home ice through out the play offs. Rangers are hoping just to make the play offs. This is why McKee pushed our top guys in this one just to compete.
Valade was noticed last night. These young players have some responsility on their part to step up a level and earn more ice. These players are on the ice every day and get almost equal ice with the exception of specialty teams. They just have to push themselves hard in actual games and make an impact. You can see a difference in their games lately from the beginning of the season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
fun stat, on paper if Riley Damiani had played in all 49 games this season, he would have 71 points, good for 12th in the league in points. also at his current scoring rate, he would be on pace for 99 points in a full 68 game season.

It's hard not to believe that he can put up 80-90 next season (could score a huge return). And if you look at all the 99-born players that were on Team Canada's WJC team that won't be eligible next year, he could be looking at at least a summer camp invite.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
fun stat, on paper if Riley Damiani had played in all 49 games this season, he would have 71 points, good for 12th in the league in points. also at his current scoring rate, he would be on pace for 99 points in a full 68 game season.

It's hard not to believe that he can put up 80-90 next season (could score a huge return). And if you look at all the 99-born players that were on Team Canada's WJC team that won't be eligible next year, he could be looking at at least a summer camp invite.

And he's an extraordinary two way player. PP. PK. 5 on 5. He is top shelf in all situations.

Just the kind of player Team Canada should have in their sights. A Mike Richards type player. The only difference is Richards dropped the gloves when the situation dictated.

Reactions: LDN and OhSheila

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not really as big a deal as it was even those few short years ago?

Not really that big a deal these days. Just making the comparison.

If this was 2005? Maybe it would be an issue or a reason to make it that much more a positive if it were a part of Damiani's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad