Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Listening live, Farwell said that Xhekaj got an instigator and would be suspended, but it's not listed on the game summary, so I suppose he'll get away with that one.

Farwell? A bounty of misinformation!!

He should pay attention. I was at the game and it was announced in the building 2 for roughing and 5 for fighting for Xhekaj.

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018

He should pay attention. I was at the game and it was announced in the building 2 for roughing and 5 for fighting for Xhekaj.
In the man's defense, he probably has other things to do at the game then listen to the arena announcer. And there would be a suspension for instigating in the final minutes of a blow out. That may be news to some who don't know the rule. Still Farwell should have waited to be sure, or got some help from his partner.

I was at the game too and the arena announcer also said it was Samurukov's first OHL goal. He scored 11 last year so maybe the arena announcer can't be trusted either.

I think the biggest thing we have to worry about is whose going to play goal for us next season. Or maybe even for the rest of this one.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
In the man's defense, he probably has other things to do at the game then listen to the arena announcer. And there would be a suspension for instigating in the final minutes of a blow out. That may be news to some who don't know the rule. Still Farwell should have waited to be sure, or got some help from his partner.

I was at the game too and the arena announcer also said it was Samurukov's first OHL goal. He scored 11 last year so maybe the arena announcer can't be trusted either.

I think the biggest thing we have to worry about is whose going to play goal for us next season. Or maybe even for the rest of this one.

I know it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but if he's going to be involved in broadcasting Ranger games, part of the job is getting stuff right. Sure I expect he has a lot to do during the game. But one of the more important things, at the time, is to listen to see what the call is and let us know at home.

Turning to his sidekick Poper is not an option when it comes to a lot of things. He's the guy after the massive Niagara/Kingston trade who suggested that maybe if Rob Thomas is returned to Hamilton, he could be traded right back to the Knights for their playoff run since London would rather have the player back instead of the two conditional 2nd round picks that they are to get if he is returned.

Of course that's impossible because of the 13 month rule. The average fan may not know about this rule but OHL broadcasters should be up-to-date with all the rules as their commentary should be educational toward the fans and not misleading.

If these two would spend more time knowing their roles, including being up to date on basic league rules, (they've made a bunch of errors in the past in this regard), instead of trying to be cheap "Tim and Sid" knock off's that are running a broadcast that seems geared towards pre adolescents, we'd be enjoying a much more professional broadcast. It's obvious that years sitting beside Don Cameron has done a little to educate Farwell as to what a professional broadcast is all about.

And yes, you're right about our goaltending. If we are going to compete two years from now, we need to get a guy in here now and start developing him. As far as I'm concerned, Richardson is out as far as two years from now goes. Therefore, go with Pfiel and see if he can be developed into #1. Also see what you can do about bringing in a young goaltender to develop in the event Pfiel is not our guy.

Last thing this team needs to do is go into a contending year and, yet again, have to trade for a goaltender. It's about time this team developed our own #1 from within.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Josh Brown brings up a good point and his "three up/3 down" segment today. Our scoring has dried up. The big guns are silent. That does not bode very well for the trade value of a guy like Yantsis. If Mike MacKenzie has any designs on trading him, he better get it done quick before the bloom is off the rose. You have to sell high. Don't wait around for his scoring to tail off and then wind up getting a lot less than you could have earlier on.

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
I know it's insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but if he's going to be involved in broadcasting Ranger games, part of the job is getting stuff right. Sure I expect he has a lot to do during the game. But one of the more important things, at the time, is to listen to see what the call is and let us know at home.

Turning to his sidekick Poper is not an option when it comes to a lot of things. He's the guy after the massive Niagara/Kingston trade who suggested that maybe if Rob Thomas is returned to Hamilton, he could be traded right back to the Knights for their playoff run since London would rather have the player back instead of the two conditional 2nd round picks that they are to get if he is returned.

Of course that's impossible because of the 13 month rule. The average fan may not know about this rule but OHL broadcasters should be up-to-date with all the rules as their commentary should be educational toward the fans and not misleading.

If these two would spend more time knowing their roles, including being up to date on basic league rules, (they've made a bunch of errors in the past in this regard), instead of trying to be cheap "Tim and Sid" knock off's that are running a broadcast that seems geared towards pre adolescents, we'd be enjoying a much more professional broadcast. It's obvious that years sitting beside Don Cameron has done a little to educate Farwell as to what a professional broadcast is all about.

And yes, you're right about our goaltending. If we are going to compete two years from now, we need to get a guy in here now and start developing him. As far as I'm concerned, Richardson is out as far as two years from now goes. Therefore, go with Pfiel and see if he can be developed into #1. Also see what you can do about bringing in a young goaltender to develop in the event Pfiel is not our guy.

Last thing this team needs to do is go into a contending year and, yet again, have to trade for a goaltender. It's about time this team developed our own #1 from within.
Your resume must have been the next one on the pile, Steven! I'm sure your ideas of what makes a professional broadcast will be adopted as soon as you get the call for the job and all those years listening to Don Cameron have got you ready for it. Congrats! Can't wait to hear your commentary.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Your resume must have been the next one on the pile, Steven! I'm sure your ideas of what makes a professional broadcast will be adopted as soon as you get the call for the job and all those years listening to Don Cameron have got you ready for it. Congrats! Can't wait to hear your commentary.

Ouch. Did I touch a nerve? You must be a Farwell or Pope family member.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good evening Ranger fans. With the Dipietro deal today its obvious we're all in this year. Was wondering if you think Meireless would be available. Ottawa kid who might give us an OA year which fits our window. Thoughts? Cost?

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Good evening Ranger fans. With the Dipietro deal today its obvious we're all in this year. Was wondering if you think Meireless would be available. Ottawa kid who might give us an OA year which fits our window. Thoughts? Cost?

Probably cost you a 2nd and a mid round pick.

Mason Kohn as a 19 year old went for a 2nd and two 3rds. Probably a fair comparison.

He would be available. I think every player on the roster who is a 98,99 and 00 born would be available for the right price.

RangerDanger

Jun 23, 2012
The Bracco trade with Windsor includuded a 2025 2nd round pick to Kitchener with some indication/condition that the 2025 pick would move to an earlier draft year should Windsor aquire any such earlier 2nd round pick. With the DiPietro trade, Windsor has now aquired 2nd round picks ranging from 2019 to 2023. I'm assuming that Kitchener will now receive a 2023 2nd round pick from Windsor instead of the 2025. Anyone know the answer?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Mason Kohn as a 19 year old went for a 2nd and two 3rds. Probably a fair comparison.

He would be available. I think every player on the roster who is a 98,99 and 00 born would be available for the right price.
Seb I think Merieles is worth more. On a contender with higher end vets he would be a hell of a PK guy.
Just my opinion but I keep him for one second and a mid rounder. Just another opinion.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I'd expect more than the return we got for Kohn. At the same stage of their careers, Meireles is twice the player. I'm not saying
double the return for Kohn, but more.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The Bracco trade with Windsor includuded a 2025 2nd round pick to Kitchener with some indication/condition that the 2025 pick would move to an earlier draft year should Windsor aquire any such earlier 2nd round pick. With the DiPietro trade, Windsor has now aquired 2nd round picks ranging from 2019 to 2023. I'm assuming that Kitchener will now receive a 2023 2nd round pick from Windsor instead of the 2025. Anyone know the answer?

I believe either the Stanley or Brown trades took the conditions off that pick.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Seb I think Merieles is worth more. On a contender with higher end vets he would be a hell of a PK guy.
Just my opinion but I keep him for one second and a mid rounder. Just another opinion.

I don't mind Greg as a player.

You also may be right. He's had a great season and could be worth more.

I suppose if Liam Ham is worth two 2nds and a 3rd, that Greg is easily worth that at minimum.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
MM better start selling soon before everyone gives away all their 2nds. Merieles should get 3 or 4 low picks. I’d also look at a good 16 or 17 year old kid wasting in a 4th line on a contenting team. If we plan on shipping out 4 to 6 older players we need some young players back to fill roster

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just dreaming of what could have been. If Merieles came his first year. Vallati skating pucks out of our end. Rippon leading the league in plus/minus patrolling our blue line. Roberts using his speed to move pucks up the ice at the Aud. When players don't think highly enough of a franchise to want to be here there has to be an issue deep in the weeds somewhere.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015

Eh... Farwell is obviously far-from-perfect, but I think this one's excusable. If you miss the announcement, it'd be easy to assume the 2 was for instigating and not roughing.

Reactions: MediaCritic

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
Eh... Farwell is obviously far-from-perfect, but I think this one's excusable. If you miss the announcement, it'd be easy to assume the 2 was for instigating and not roughing.
I've done quite a bit of broadcasting and you can't hear the announcement in the building with the headset on. If you take it off to listen to the call you will miss cues from the producer and wont hear what your broadcast partner is saying.

Having said that there are subtle ways to let your producer know you arent sure what the call was and someone in the control room will have the information. But as a broadcaster you must have your facts straight. Mistakes are made and I know for a fact that Rangers and Knights fans are the toughest in the league to please.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I would certainly expect Meireles to fetch more than a 2nd and a mid-pick. I don't want to over-rate anyone on this team, but he is arguably our best all-around player. Over a point per game, elite skater, good PK and PP guy who probably plays an OA year.

Based on current prices, if I'm MM, I want at least 3 picks in the top 4 rounds as a starting point.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
When players don't think highly enough of a franchise to want to be here there has to be an issue deep in the weeds somewhere.

I agree Bobber but what the heck has gone wrong? Great fan support, great city with several Universities in close proximity, decent arena and a team with incredible history quite frankly. I don’t get it at all, even last years team that was reasonably successful was a quick “one year and done” type of situation?

I think the Team needs a complete overhaul with a focus on re-inventing itself. Hold games that have special players in history honoured and celebrate those past successes. It’s like the Team has lost its identity but with the kind of fan support they get that should not have happened?

Would love to see it turn around all it will take is a few good Hockey minds?

Reactions: rangersblues

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014

Farwell has too many glasses of “whine” before he goes on the air. The whining is constant.

For Pope not to know the 13 month rule is silly.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree Bobber but what the heck has gone wrong? Great fan support, great city with several Universities in close proximity, decent arena and a team with incredible history quite frankly. I don’t get it at all, even last years team that was reasonably successful was a quick “one year and done” type of situation?

I think the Team needs a complete overhaul with a focus on re-inventing itself. Hold games that have special players in history honoured and celebrate those past successes. It’s like the Team has lost its identity but with the kind of fan support they get that should not have happened?

Would love to see it turn around all it will take is a few good Hockey minds?

This team is the poster child for "resting on your laurels." The DeBoer era was a golden age in terms of a professionally run, entertaining franchise. It set a high bar and fans came in droves. To me, it appears the front office got addicted to that PR and the community good will and forgot they had a hockey team to run. It seemed like they shifted the entire focus to off ice salesmanship. The winning culture eroded extremely quickly, but it took fans a few years to notice after the high of that era.

Bobber makes some good points about how the Fanelli hit changed things around the team and physicality and intensity left the building for good, which is part of it. But the Rangers seemed absolutely obsessed with touting themselves as a model franchise in terms of how they treat their fans, players and opponents. And all of that is well and good. But the beating heart of any sports franchise is its ability to deliver during games. And that is the piece that hasn't gotten nearly enough attention in the last decade.

Even last year's good showing was mostly built on the backs of other team's players (Brown, Smith, Stanley, Sherwood). Finding the right players and developing them the right way is something this organization has lost the ability to do it would seem.

Mar 12, 2009
Just dreaming of what could have been. If Merieles came his first year. Vallati skating pucks out of our end. Rippon leading the league in plus/minus patrolling our blue line. Roberts using his speed to move pucks up the ice at the Aud. When players don't think highly enough of a franchise to want to be here there has to be an issue deep in the weeds somewhere.
Roberts can move the puck and defend off the rush ok, but without the offensive production he's kind of small and not as effective as Gareffa, say (if you're that small and so-so to decent defensively, you gotta be able to produce offensively). He left more because of ice time concerns from what I recall, wasn't looking like he was going to ge a lick of PP time due to others ahead of him. For those reasons I don't really mourn that move.

Vallati and Rippon (or one of them) would be real nice, but together it never would have been due to off ice parental issues. Such a strange situation. Damn shame. Rippon seems like a solid shutdown guy, but seeing how quick Missy traded him, maybe he only wanted to play at home. He'd help stabilize things, but I take +/- with a huge grain of salt, especially on a stacked, top team of the East (the weaker conference generally).

I think it would have helped a guy like Vuk a lot having a consistently steady and reliable D partner to help develop in his draft year. At the moment, it seems when he's on the ice, it's on him to shoulder the heavy defensive responsibilities for himself and often for his D partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad