Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I know we're playing the greatest hits on this forum again, but the overall lack of skill on this team is appalling. Damiani, Gareffa , Miereles and .....

That's on the coaches. Most of these kids are no better than the day they showed up to training camp. And like Tim says "confidence shattered".

At least in 08-09 we had a jewel in 16 year old Jeff Skinner to watch. Who will be our Jeff Skinner when we're worse next year.

Also that year, we had some pretty good vets who we dealt for futures. Shutron. Timmons. Unice. Mashinter.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Even, that's the thing I've been harping on. Fans are okay with down years, because whenever you have down years, we always still had exciting young kids who were going to be stars or some toughness and grit that was worth seeing. Right now, the organization has given us very little reason for optimism. The kids who come in either have very mediocre ceilings, or stagnate and are no better at 19 than they were at 17.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Even, that's the thing I've been harping on. Fans are okay with down years, because whenever you have down years, we always still had exciting young kids who were going to be stars or some toughness and grit that was worth seeing. Right now, the organization has given us very little reason for optimism. The kids who come in either have very mediocre ceilings, or stagnate and are no better at 19 than they were at 17.
Valade and Langdon were two highly touted prospects. Do you think they will form the nucleus of a successful rebuild? Too early to say?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Why is Murray Hiebert still collecting a pay check? All we did was add another layer to the bureaucracy when he "stepped aside". If Hiebert wants to handle the education portfolio fine - but that's it.

Director of Hockey Operations

Murray joined the Rangers as a scout in 2001, and was named Director of Hockey Operations in March, 2017. Hiebert plays a major part in Rangers’ scouting at both the OHL and OHL Priority Selection levels. He focuses on the implementation and execution of player education plans, and serves as a liaison between the Rangers and the Ontario Hockey League.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Valade and Langdon were two highly touted prospects. Do you think they will form the nucleus of a successful rebuild? Too early to say?

Probably too early to say, but early returns have certainly not been terribly encouraging. By December we should be seeing more flashes. At 16, I really only expect flashes. I don't expect consistency or major impacts, but you want to see a shift here and there that display instincts and skill. Neither have produced at all despite reasonable ice time for the most part.

Most of all, I don't trust the team to get much out of them over time. I never see evidence that the team identifies gaps in their game and helps them work on that. I just see the same utilization over and over and same approach to each shift. Both have tools and assets that could easily be mined for production down the road, but I don't see much work in progress.

Sebrango has been the best young guy so far and I'm even concerned about where that's heading as the team approach never changes. Very little focus on individual development.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

They along with Sebrango are supposed to. Whether they do or not remains to be seen. But boy oh boy we hope so here in Rangerland!

Reactions: nelli27
Mar 12, 2009
Hell I'd take a Shane Prince or Alex Aleardi or two.
Is this just nostalgia talking regarding Aleardi at least? I mean, Damiani (his 2nd year was on pace with AA's 3rd year) and Meireless are on pace to have a similar 4th year (fewer goals, similar points). AA didn't really explode to being over a PPG until a trade to windsor in his OA year (his 4th team). Seeing how people aren't thrilled with where we are now, I don't see them being thrilled with Aleardi type prospects going forward given we have kind of similar guys (won't know for sure until we see their OA seasons).
Our rookies are on basically the same production pace to Prince/AAs first season (inlcuding D Sebrango)...let's not forget, Prince showed flashes of promise but never really proved he was a blue chip prospect while he was here (at least not in his first year). I don't know, I just think it gets into a very tricky area when we're evaluating the future of the teams current rookies/young player as not being as good as past rookies by comparing them to the completed careers of former Ranger players (assuming they will never reach that level), instead of comparing rookie season to rookie season.

Merrick Rippon leading the league in plus/minus. The ones that got away.
You can thank immature parents for that one. It just stings a bit because we traded him because we prefered the other guy, then the other guy wanted out. Oh well, he also got away from Missasauga, so who knows what's going on behind the scenes with that one.
Also check out Cole Carter, never would have predicted him as near a goal a game player in his time here.

The first part of the year the rookies show promise, a little raw, some warts, but the raw talent seems to be there...then it seems like they just get ground down by the season and don't make much progress as the season goes on...which is something that is expected with familiarity with the league and with coaching that helps guide players on where they need to improve and where there strengths lie.

Sebrango looks to be getting better, and Langdon looks decent to me. Valade seemed to have the best offensive skillset but he doesn't seem to have much confidence anymore and gets shuffled all over the lineup. Our PP units aren't so good that the rookie forwards and Vuk should almost permanently on the sidelines in place of vets the way they are (especially when certain mainstays have brutal games like York, or generally don't add much to the PP like Cambpell).

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I recall Langdon started on the top line about 5 games ago. He made what I thought was a very good play knocking down a clearing attempt in mid air with his stick and picking up the puck and creating a scoring chance. Next time I noticed him he was off the top line about half a period later. So much for development.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Alex Aleardi was an enigma to me. Some times he looked lights out and was stirring things up and creating chances. Then he would be unnoticeable for long stretches . He always had the talent if not the consistency for whatever reason. I'd love to see some of his talent in our younger players. He was a point a game guy his 3rd season. I believe he was set back by injuries his 4th season.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Alex Aleardi was an enigma to me. Some times he looked lights out and was stirring things up and creating chances. Then he would be unnoticeable for long stretches . He always had the talent if not the consistency for whatever reason. I'd love to see some of his talent in our younger players. He was a point a game guy his 3rd season. I believe he was set back by injuries his 4th season.

He topped out around a 45 PPG average per season over 64 game average.

On our last 2 really good teams he would have finished 5th in scoring and 6th in scoring.

To me, yeah he had more potential but he was at least a consistent secondary threat. Had speed to burn.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
When Valade played a few full games with Hugg and Damiani he had a couple of points and a lot more opportunities. It seems he usually starts up there, plays 2 shifts, and is buried the rest of the game. Supposed to be the best offensive skillset we picked, next to no PP time on a bottom feeder team. How can you expect him to be confident? If they want to build a team around these guys, don't have them playing 10 minutes a night with Tresoor/Dickerson/Campbell

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
When Valade played a few full games with Hugg and Damiani he had a couple of points and a lot more opportunities. It seems he usually starts up there, plays 2 shifts, and is buried the rest of the game. Supposed to be the best offensive skillset we picked, next to no PP time on a bottom feeder team. How can you expect him to be confident? If they want to build a team around these guys, don't have them playing 10 minutes a night with Tresoor/Dickerson/Campbell
Dickerson looks nervous and lost out there with very minimal.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

Opportunity is key. Put them in top-6 roles and leave them there for a few games, not a few shifts. Also, in a rebuild, allow your rookies to make mistakes. Let them try things. Derek Roy was perhaps the most dynamic 16 year old I have seen in Kitchener, but if he had lost ice time for mistakes, where would he have ended up?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers got beaten badly yesterday. Other than maybe four or five players they are just a very weak squad from the goalie out. There is no defense at all presently. The Storm skated right pass our D and scored on more than one occasion. I think they were lucky to get a good start because now they have been exposed and have no real leader. They haven't named a captain yet.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rangers got beaten badly yesterday. Other than maybe four or five players they are just a very weak squad from the goalie out. There is no defense at all presently. The Storm skated right pass our D and scored on more than one occasion. I think they were lucky to get a good start because now they have been exposed and have no real leader. They haven't named a captain yet.

If not for the good start, we'd be sitting out of a playoff spot right now.

As it stands now, this is barely a playoff team. If they do make it, it's a quick sweep and done.

If this team sells like I think it should, no chance of making the playoffs. That isn't a bad thing. A top four 1st round pick should be a big contributor once 20-21 rolls around. And just so you know, missing the playoffs means we'd be likely drafting, at worst, the third best 03 since from what I understand, there's a kid, Shane Wright I believe, who looks to maybe be the next exceptional player designation.

My only worry is the brass likely won't allow MM to totally sell off all the vets, as he should, in an effort to get a couple home playoff dates.

On a side note, should we miss the playoffs, it'll be fun hearing Farwell eat crow. He guaranteed a month or so ago to listeners on his post game show that the Rangers would 100% make the post season. Actually laughed at callers who dared suggest they might not.

I'm sure his buddy "Poper" is already doing the same after his prediction that Richardson would be among the league leaders on average and save percentage.

To be fair, Farsy did predict a big year out of Yantsis. So far so good.

Last edited:

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I'm thinking this team is not as bad as their last three games and not as good as their first few games. They are somewhere in between.

Having early goals scored against them has been the issue with the last few games and it goes down hill from there. It might just be some bad starts that were bunched together. I do think Richardson will regain some of his early form.

The other issue is Riley Damiani has missed these games. His leadership is needed.

Love the passion and observations posted here. Keep them coming.

Let's all cross our fingers and sneak a few positive thought in there too.

Go Rangers

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Sbrango reminds me a little of a young Dan Kelly. I think Sbrango has more pepper in him. Kelly was a player the Rangers brought in from Pembroke for a look around Christmas and people were impressed with him on the blue line. Right now the team just doesn't seem to have a good point man.
Would be nice to see them develop one but I am not sure what the priorities are with these coaches.
I do think this team does seem to wilt when opponents get a couple of soft goals. Players have to have confidence in their goalies. A soft goalie is a team's kryptonite.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sbrango reminds me a little of a young Dan Kelly. I think Sbrango has more pepper in him. Kelly was a player the Rangers brought in from Pembroke for a look around Christmas and people were impressed with him on the blue line.

I agree.

Also, and I'm not comparing the two, but watching McHugh's style of skating reminds me of Mike Richards. Sure, he ain't Richie. But just the skating style is similar.

Nobody's mentioned it here yet but aside from the Jack Eye fight, yesterday's game was absent of any physicality or intensity. Certainly didn't look like two division rivals out there.

Jack Eye did a good job in his fight. Sure it was a 16 year old rookie he took on but he's a rookie too. I think both players first fight of their OHL careers. And to be honest, we caught a break and a favour from the refs on that one. Jack Eye maybe should have been assessed an instigator. But based on the score and time of game, an instigator call would have been an automatic suspension.

SAM STEVENS

Oct 21, 2018
Opportunity is key. Put them in top-6 roles and leave them there for a few games, not a few shifts. Also, in a rebuild, allow your rookies to make mistakes. Let them try things. Derek Roy was perhaps the most dynamic 16 year old I have seen in Kitchener, but if he had lost ice time for mistakes, where would he have ended up?
well said man.. well said...

Reactions: Tim Wallach

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
Jack Eye did a good job in his fight. Sure it was a 16 year old rookie he took on but he's a rookie too. I think both players first fight of their OHL careers. And to be honest, we caught a break and a favour from the refs on that one. Jack Eye maybe should have been assessed an instigator. But based on the score and time of game, an instigator call would have been an automatic suspension.

Listening live, Farwell said that Xhekaj got an instigator and would be suspended, but it's not listed on the game summary, so I suppose he'll get away with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad