Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Right now the Wild need guys that play strong on the puck and create their own opportunities 5 on 5. These are the type of players that can carry the load until the PP gets going. Pretty much the opposite of the Bonino and Johansson.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Granlund is younger, would have cost less, and is much better defensively. It’s not close.
The cost is irrelevant because they weren't paid at the same time. You're also overlooking the fact that Granlund was turned into Fiala in the middle of all this. It's a stupid discussion.

Reactions: HotDish

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The cost is irrelevant because they weren't paid at the same time. You're also overlooking the fact that Granlund was turned into Fiala in the middle of all this. It's a stupid discussion.

The Fiala trade is irrelevant because we're not discussing a trade, it's about committing $6M to Zucc which was a bad move. Almost all discussions on here are hypothetical, so nah it's not a stupid discussion. There's not much else to discuss at the moment.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
The Fiala trade is irrelevant because we're not discussing a trade, it's about committing $6M to Zucc which was a bad move. Almost all discussions on here are hypothetical, so nah it's not a stupid discussion. There's not much else to discuss at the moment.

You dont think granlund couldve gotten 6 if covid didnt happen?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So what is the discussion then? Zuccarello signed his deal under normal circumstances coming off of a season where he paced 68 points. Granlund signed his a year later, during the pandemic, coming off of a season where he paced 40 points. What is there to compare under those circumstances?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
So what is the discussion then? Zuccarello signed his deal under normal circumstances coming off of a season where he paced 68 points. Granlund signed his a year later, during the pandemic, coming off of a season where he paced 40 points. What is there to compare under those circumstances?

That keeping your options open when you're in a "retooling" stage is the smarter option every time. We had all complained about committing large amounts to older wingers and then the NMC was just the shit cherry on top. I know you haven't been very high on Granlund, but imo it's been pretty obvious that he'd regain some of his Top 6 form. He would've been a perfect buy-low candidate this past offseason if the Wild had the cap space available to make a move like that.

You dont think granlund couldve gotten 6 if covid didnt happen?

Not with his performance. I still would be more comfortable with $6M committed to Granlund over Zucc though.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
That keeping your options open when you're in a "retooling" stage is the smarter option every time. We had all complained about committing large amounts to older wingers and then the NMC was just the shit cherry on top. I know you haven't been very high on Granlund, but imo it's been pretty obvious that he'd regain some of his Top 6 form. He would've been a perfect buy-low candidate this past offseason if the Wild had the cap space available to make a move like that.

Not with his performance. I still would be more comfortable with $6M committed to Granlund over Zucc though.

I was fine with him leaving and have no desire to have him back TBH. That being said i was skeptical signing zucc also, wouldve rather not gotten either.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
The Preds didn't even want to keep Granlund, but then very late in free agency they signed him 1 yr.

Zuccarello's salary will be $7.5M a yr for the next two, while Granlund will have to take a cheap deal or head for Europe...

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The Preds didn't even want to keep Granlund, but then very late in free agency they signed him 1 yr.

Zuccarello's salary will be $7.5M for the next couple of years, while Granlund will have to take a cheap deal or head for Europe...
That doesn’t mean Zucc is good just adds to he is overpaid for too long of time.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
That doesn’t mean Zucc is good just adds to he is overpaid for too long of time.

Teams wouldn't even talk that kind of money if he isn't good.

And then popular free agents will always benefit from a bidding war..

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I agree, Webster. Zucc benefited from a bidding war. There's no doubt he's overpaid by at least 1.5M/year, because of it.

His contract with the Rangers was $4M a yr, so a million or two more in his next contract was expected based on his performance. He played like a god for the Stars, and this really helped his value.

I think it was more about term and the no-move. The Wild offered that 3rd yr NMC, it was probably important to him. Will not be exposed, so I'd be shocked if he waived it.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Anyway...we're in Kaprizov's thread. Tell me who should be his linemates to help him out and make him more effective.

Reactions: wildbill97

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
When the Fiala-Granlund trade took place, I seem to recall a lot of speculation that Granlund was going to seek $8m or more on his next deal. If Fenton thought he was going to have to pay Granlund that much (or watch his value diminish as he entered the final year of his deal while hoping to negotiate a more agreeable contract), I think flipping him for Fiala and then replacing Granlund’s production and playmaking with Zuccarello at $2m less is not a bad arrangement.

Even if I feel the team would’ve been better served by the cap flexibility that would’ve come with not signing Zuccarello.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kaprizov with random fan

bjmhkvjknxf61.jpg

Reactions: Northerner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad