Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
5 goals and 7 points in 4 games at the Hlinka prior to being drafted.

Led the team in both.

Same number of points in same number of games as Aho. Same points in fewer games as Marner and Barzal.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Kaprizov was the 1st overall pick in the 2014 KHL draft. People knew who he was

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I just can't figure put why Chicago Pittsburgh or other teams didn't grab him. Like Tom Brady going in rou d 7 (though TB and football draft are completely different animals, though some similarities are there, I think).

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I just can't figure put why Chicago Pittsburgh or other teams didn't grab him. Like Tom Brady going in rou d 7 (though TB and football draft are completely different animals, though some similarities are there, I think).
It was said many feared he wouldn’t come over.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He was coming off an injury, so there was concerns about his fitness, and as mentioned, also concern about his willingness to come across the pond.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
4F7268CD-501A-4B12-BEAA-F0D0DBBD2511.jpeg

Reactions: StormFather

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Kaprizov was the 1st overall pick in the 2014 KHL draft. People knew who he was

I think the KHL has "territory picks" where teams can protect the players in their system from being drafted by other teams but have to take them with their early picks. It's likely that going 1st OA in that KHL draft is just as much of a function of Metallurg Novokuzenesk being terrible and "earning" the 1st overall pick while being the only team that can actually draft Kaprizov, than it was that Kaprizov was considered the best KHL prospect at the time.

It doesn't particularly mean that if CSKA or insert KHL team here had the first overall pick (without territory picks available), that they would have taken him.

It's entirely possible Kaprizov was considered the best prospect at the time for his age group, but if Metallurg had won the league championship he would have gone much later, because they were the only team who could take him.

For instance Gurianov went 42 overall in the same KHL draft, because Lada Togliatti is the only team that could pick him and that was their fist pick, but went 12th in the NHL draft. Samsonov went 34 in KHL, 22nd in NHL, etc.

So you can't read anything into the draft position, other than Metallurg wanted to keep him in their system, and they were terrible that year.

TL/DR - The KHL Entry draft is essentially a draft where teams pick pick the players in their systems MHL team they want to keep in the first handful of rounds, and then pick through the leftovers/other Europeans and north americans they might have a shot of getting to play for them.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What was the biggest reason every other team passed on Kaprizov? Was there a lot of uncertainty that he would ever even come to the States to play?

You have to wonder why a team like Pittsburgh, or Chicago, who probably didn't need his services right away, passed on him with a pick or two of theirs in, say, their 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds?

Now, other franchises might have wanted a player they weren't going to have to wait 5 years for, but even all those teams must be asking themsleves why didn't we grab him with a "throw away" pick we had?

Was the biggest reason all these clubs passed on him with "throw away" picks the industry understanding that they didn't know if he ever would want to play in the NHL?

I mean, can you imagine him playing on a line with Sid, or Kane...or even in Wash with Ovechkin?

Some nice reading 2015 NHL Draft - Russian Draft Class
LW/RW Kirill Kaprizov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2015, 135th, MIN)

Russo Turisto

West Coast User
Nov 26, 2011
USA
Nah. He's born here, trained here, and speaks Finnish. He's ours.

It is always interesting how people like/love to fully accept successful people like Barkov and other so-called regular people have to work so hard to be accepted and often unsuccessfully. My father had a job as an engineer in Pori in the late 1980s and I saw a lot of immigrants and their kids struggling to be accepted as locals. I had to go through something similar in the US as an immigrant but I think it was much easier here.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Regarding Kaprizov’s extension:

It’s believed the Wild have already offered him an eight-year contract north of $8 million, the maximum term a team can re-sign one of its own players. Kaprizov has said that he will get more involved in negotiations after the season, but the fact that his agent, Paul Theofanous, hasn’t already jumped at such a commitment means he’ll either be looking for more money or a shorter-term contract.

Source

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I actually don't think a 6 year deal would be so bad. Gives Kap a chance at a bigger contract too nearing the end of his prime.

Yeah, I'll be happy with anything 5+ years and less than $8.5M. I'm hoping he's enjoyed his time here enough to make a commitment like that. Despite not having a skilled center to play with, I'm sure he recognizes the team is on the right direction.

I am a bit concerned by that story that Foligno told about Kap in training camp accidentally sending a group text that he wanted to play with "good players, not shit players" when he was assigned to the group of mainly AHL guys. Funny story and all, but could be a problem if he's been frustrated with the performances of his centers the entire season.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
He was injured prior to draft and that effected his position. Also he’s Russian KHL bait so that makes a difference

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Not really a whole lot new in here, but here's some quotes.

Wild star Kirill Kaprizov talks rookie year, contract talks, the Calder and his Wild future
“I definitely plan on being a little bit more involved (in contract talks),” Kaprizov said through a translator before returning home to Russia on Wednesday. “I’m hoping we can discuss everything together and see what the best option is. (We’ll) think through everything and make sure it’s the right decision for me and the team and everything.”
Asked if he could see himself in Minnesota for a long time, Kaprizov said through a translator, “I’m not one to predict the future and to predict what’s next. This summer we’re going to have the chance to sit down and think through all the options and what’s best for the team and for me, and I’m confident that we will come to a good agreement.”
Probably realizing that could be misinterpreted and give fans and the organization heart palpitations, Kaprizov butted into the interpreter’s translation and added, “I like everything (about Minnesota). Everything’s been good, the team’s been good to me, so I am very happy here overall.”
Kaprizov admits the playoffs were an eye-opener. The standard of officiating changes, the games become much more physical and, in essence, the rink shrinks as it’s much harder to get to the areas needed to score. He still scored tying goals in Games 5 and 7 but hopes to work on his skating this summer and the defensive part of his game.
(said by Spurgeon)
“But he’s still the same. He still lies to you guys that he doesn’t speak English. Other than that, he’s been awesome this year.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad