Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Someone wondered how the alignment going back to normal might affect Kaprisov.

Well, it means swapping VGK/ANA/LAK/SJS for CHI/STL/DAL/NAS

These teams combine for almost exactly the same GAA in the present year. The Pacific teams are better at scoring goals, but the defensive stats are very close.

That's one measure, and by it he will be fine.

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Someone wondered how the alignment going back to normal might affect Kaprisov.

Well, it means swapping VGK/ANA/LAK/SJS for CHI/STL/DAL/NAS

These teams combine for almost exactly the same GAA in the present year. The Pacific teams are better at scoring goals, but the defensive stats are very close.

That's one measure, and by it he will be fine.
Series hockey has been a blast. I wonder if they'll consider adjustments to what we consider normal. There may be some aspects of this season to carry over. Plus Canada still has to catch up vaccine and restriction wise.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The expectations certainly aren’t low. I would expect him to produce at a higher clip that Stuetzle. There could be an adjustment stage coming into the NHL, but he’s 23 which is typically the beginning of one’s prime nowadays. By the middle of the season, If he’s what people think he is, he needs to be producing as a top line winger. I’d expect around .75ppg from him this season, but wouldn’t be suprised if it’s higher if he transitions right away.

Yeah, expectations weren't low, but were they high enough?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Interview with Kaprizov. Pity, it's in Russian. That journo asks about, how many years has Kaprizov been playing in CSKA and how many sticks do they have for a season.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Kaprizov ends third in the league in penalty-differential (penalties drawn - penalties taken) at +17.
25 drawn, 8 taken.

Point (+18) and McDavid (+19) were the only two ahead of him.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Wow I didn't realize he finished for the sole 8th spot in goal scoring this year.

We had a top 10 goal scorer on this team.

We had two other top 50 goal scorers too.

Not too shabby. Imagine Kap playing with a Marner or Drai. (I shouldn't even say it, but..or a McJesus)

Val

Jan 19, 2021
It will be interesting how Kaprizov will show in the playoffs? :rolleyes:
Zuccarello - Hartman - Kaprizov?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Cool thing about Kaprizov finishing Top 10 is that everyone else in front of him has significantly better linemates. To be fair our blueline is elite and that helps but it is scary to think what Kirill is capable of if we provide him with a worthwhile C.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What was the biggest reason every other team passed on Kaprizov? Was there a lot of uncertainty that he would ever even come to the States to play?

You have to wonder why a team like Pittsburgh, or Chicago, who probably didn't need his services right away, passed on him with a pick or two of theirs in, say, their 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds?

Now, other franchises might have wanted a player they weren't going to have to wait 5 years for, but even all those teams must be asking themsleves why didn't we grab him with a "throw away" pick we had?

Was the biggest reason all these clubs passed on him with "throw away" picks the industry understanding that they didn't know if he ever would want to play in the NHL?

I mean, can you imagine him playing on a line with Sid, or Kane...or even in Wash with Ovechkin?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
What was the biggest reason every other team passed on Kaprizov? Was there a lot of uncertainty that he would ever even come to the States to play?

You have to wonder why a team like Pittsburgh, or Chicago, who probably didn't need his services right away, passed on him with a pick or two of theirs in, say, their 3rd, 4th or 5th rounds?

Now, other franchises might have wanted a player they weren't going to have to wait 5 years for, but even all those teams must be asking themsleves why didn't we grab him with a "throw away" pick we had?

Was the biggest reason all these clubs passed on him with "throw away" picks the industry understanding that they didn't know if he ever would want to play in the NHL?

I mean, can you imagine him playing on a line with Sid, or Kane...or even in Wash with Ovechkin?

From what I've read and heard, a lot of teams didn't even scout him at all. Craig Leipold said that the only reason the Wild found him was because their European scout had to spend a couple of extra days in Kaprizov's home town due to a travel delay and only noticed Kaprizov then. Because they knew that he was under scouted, they were hoping that he would fall to them in the later rounds.

Reactions: Northerner

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
From what I've read and heard, a lot of teams didn't even scout him at all. Craig Leipold said that the only reason the Wild found him was because their European scout had to spend a couple of extra days in Kaprizov's home town due to a travel delay and only noticed Kaprizov then. Because they knew that he was under scouted, they were hoping that he would fall to them in the later rounds.
I'm going to second this. I don't remember exactly where I heard all of this, and for all I know it may have been multiple articles and videos, but I have heard all of this from interviews. Novokuznetsk is small, and not a lot of NHLers come from there, so not a lot of scouts go there. Kaprizov is just the 3rd NHLer from there, ever. The other two are Bobrovski and Orlov. Interestingly, all of these players are current. Might be that their system is on the rise. To add to this, Daniil Tarasov is signed, but not in the NHL yet.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If any of you have been to Russia, you know that it is unimaginably huge. Just giant. And remote. And due to the way in which planned cities were made during communist days, there were entire cities of 30-100k people, workers, etc just sent to remote areas, some more than others.

His area isn't one that is SUPER far from Moscow in Russia terms...you know...just about 50 hours of straight driving. That's all.

Or a 5 hours flight. But I wonder how many flights there are.

And when scouts have to choose where to go, Novokuznetsk isn't exactly in the top 5. Scouting costs money and takes time. Oh, and rarely do people speak English well, or at all.

Russia will almost FOREVER be a place of late round steals now and then because of it's size, remote cities that are big enough to have talent, but not important enough to scout regularly.

In the USA, this can happen too but only in the minor drafts. By the time it's the NHL draft, these kids are under all the microscopes in the WHL, OHL, and Q. Even the lesser places are scouted pretty heavily. The USHL can have a few under scouted teams, but nothing like the Russian equation.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Have to totally disagree with him not being scouted.

He played 13 games in International Tournaments for Russia , 14 points, also played 4 games in the u18 championship , 4 points, which every NHL team has numerous scouts at and some GM's and asst GM's are in attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad