Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Pretty sure Walz centered Gaborik the majority of the time early in his career.
Walz was with Laaksonen on the defensive showdown line.

Walz was told by Lemaire when he arrived, he needs to stop thinking he's a top 6 scorer... because he isn't. That's why he found himself playing in Europe just before coming here.

He was attached at the hip with Laaksonen in those early years.

Reactions: Al Lagoon

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Walz was told by Lemaire when he arrived, he needs to stop thinking he's a top 6 scorer... because he isn't. That's why he found himself playing in Europe just before coming here.

Sounds like your memory is better than mine. The reason I posted what I did is because I thought I heard Walz say during one of his recent stints on TV that he had to cover alot of the defensive responsibilities for Gaborik when they were on the ice.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Sounds like your memory is better than mine. The reason I posted what I did is because I thought I heard Walz say during one of his recent stints on TV that he had to cover alot of the defensive responsibilities for Gaborik when they were on the ice.
That was later on, after Laaksonen was gone.

Reactions: MuckOG

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
At this point Robertson is running the table. He is two points off Kaprizov, is younger and is making the players around him better. Pavelski and Hintz look better because of him.

Last edited:

space321

May 11, 2011
At this point Robinson is running the table. He is two points off Kaprizov, is younger and is making the players around him better. Pavelski and Hintz look better because of him.

Okay but Pavelski's been a top 6 forward his entire career, and Hintz is a bonafide 1C if you believe what Dallas fans are selling. So is it Robertson carrying them or are they just that good? It can't be both, but according to Dallas fans it is both.

I mean, Robertson is on an incredible scoring streak at EV, rivalling McDavid and Panarin. If he wins the Calder based on this streak, it's all fair and square, but I don't really see it as anything more than a hot streak.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
At this point Robinson is running the table. He is two points off Kaprizov, is younger and is making the players around him better. Pavelski and Hintz look better because of him.

He's going to have to start turning those assists into goals. The goal gap is significant enough that even if he catches him in points I think most will lean Kaprizov, although the vote will likely be much closer.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Okay but Pavelski's been a top 6 forward his entire career, and Hintz is a bonafide 1C if you believe what Dallas fans are selling. So is it Robertson carrying them or are they just that good? It can't be both, but according to Dallas fans it is both.

Zuccs also has been a top 6 forward for most of his career; Hintz has been a good young player, but I don't think anyone has exactly seen him as a bonafide 1C until this year. Robinson appears to have fit in well on that line, and I think they all compliment each other. He's helping to elevate their game, but they are helping Robertson, hence why he has more assists than goals.

I mean, Robertson is on an incredible scoring streak at EV, rivalling McDavid and Panarin. If he wins the Calder based on this streak, it's all fair and square, but I don't really see it as anything more than a hot streak.

You could say the same thing about Kaprizov until mid-April.

He's going to have to start turning those assists into goals. The goal gap is significant enough that even if he catches him in points I think most will lean Kaprizov, although the vote will likely be much closer.

Does he though? If his line mates are producing goals, and he's helping them - wouldn't that mean he's contributing?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Zuccs also has been a top 6 forward for most of his career; Hintz has been a good young player, but I don't think anyone has exactly seen him as a bonafide 1C until this year. Robinson appears to have fit in well on that line, and I think they all compliment each other. He's helping to elevate their game, but they are helping Robertson, hence why he has more assists than goals.

Does he though? If his line mates are producing goals, and he's helping them - wouldn't that mean he's contributing?

Sure. But people value goals more. Just a fact. Prorate their numbers out to 82 game seasons, so we can understand what they mean in normal context.

Kaprizov is prorating to 38 g - 32 A - 71 Points

Robertson 26 G - 47 A - 73 points.

You can't convince me people would overlook 12 more goals because of 2 more total points. That's before you even rope in the Roope Hintz vs Rask aspect of it, Kaprizov being the best player on a solid playoff team vs Robertson being the 2nd or 3rd best on a team that might miss out, etc.

Reactions: pfunk and MuckOG

space321

May 11, 2011

If Hintz is legitimately a 1C (even if only for this season), then he's not being carried. If he's being carried, then he's not a 1C. Logically, those two things are mutually exclusive. Also regardless of whatever Hintz is, he's like 100x the player Victor Rask is.

Pavelski is a former 40 goal scorer and pretty much a lock for 30g 60 points every year. He had a down year last season just like Zuccarello, but their peak production Pavelski >>> Zuccarello. It's no doubt that Robertson has higher quality linemates no matter how you spin it.

And yes, I do say the same about Kaprizov, who said otherwise? Putting up MVP level EV production just won't last a whole season unless you're actually MVP calibre.

P10p

May 15, 2012
At this point Robertson is running the table. He is two points off Kaprizov, is younger and is making the players around him better. Pavelski and Hintz look better because of him.

Pavelski has looked amazing all year, even before Robertson joined that line and Hintz is getting better by natural progression, anyone who watched him could see ppg seasons coming

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

Year one, Grand Rapid's own Jeff Nelson was on that line as I recall,

a player who has nothing to do with Kaprizov.

Val

Jan 19, 2021
Tonight
Robertson 1+1 (Stars lose)
Kaprizov 1+1 (Wild win)
Kirill is still ahead on 3 points in Calder Race

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Tonight
Robertson 1+1 (Stars lose)
Kaprizov 1+1 (Wild win)
Kirill is still ahead on 3 points in Calder Race

NHL.com stats for the Dallas game shows Robertson with only 0+1. It seems his goal was changed to Hintz. I looked at the goal. It was an own goal, so no assists, and Hintz was definitely the closest Dallas player.

Kirill now +4 for points.

Robertson 15..26...41
Kaprisov 24..21...45

Reactions: Val

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Robertson didn’t score? He just got a secondary assist
Hintz never had possession of the puck. Robertson was last star to have possession. Credit was changed to robertson. Nhl.com credits him with the goal.

Lame goal, but it counts

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Hintz never had possession of the puck. Robertson was last star to have possession. Credit was changed to robertson. Nhl.com credits him with the goal.

Lame goal, but it counts
Yeah watched the goal and saw that. Too bad. It bothers me the hate I’ve developed for this Robertson kid because he’s really not done anything to me. Probably a great guy, too. But, I’ve not wanted to see a player not succeed this badly since there was a chance the penguins could tank

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah watched the goal and saw that. Too bad. It bothers me the hate I’ve developed for this Robertson kid because he’s really not done anything to me. Probably a great guy, too. But, I’ve not wanted to see a player not succeed this badly since there was a chance the penguins could tank
Personally, between the goal difference and hype difference I don't think he has a shot being back to back hat tricks that get the stars into the playoffs or something freak like that.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I wouldn't read too much into who wins the Calder trophy. Sometimes it goes to the best player, sometimes it doesn't. I've been a fan of Robertson's since I noticed him in juniors (and wished the Wild could steal him), and I'll be happy for him if he wins it, even though I'd both prefer Kaprizov win it and I think Kaprizov has earned it more to this point. Don't hate a guy just because of some stupid race in which votes are subjectively based, anyway. In fact, I think we're indebted to Robertson for actually making it an interesting race. Woulda been so boring!

Reactions: 57special

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I wouldn't read too much into who wins the Calder trophy. Sometimes it goes to the best player, sometimes it doesn't. I've been a fan of Robertson's since I noticed him in juniors (and wished the Wild could steal him), and I'll be happy for him if he wins it, even though I'd both prefer Kaprizov win it and I think Kaprizov has earned it more to this point. Don't hate a guy just because of some stupid race in which votes are subjectively based, anyway. In fact, I think we're indebted to Robertson for actually making it an interesting race. Woulda been so boring!
I won’t read into it at all. Still want Kirill to win it though.

Reactions: BagHead

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
3 goals in the final 5 games would give him 27 goals on the season for a 40 goal pace.

might be a good idea to get Fiala locked up first. If we give Kirill 8.5, Fiala is going to look at his comparable ppg and age and ask for that two. Obviously, he won’t get it, but I could see him getting 7+ in that scenario. Similar to how Nylander and Marner started asking based on Matthews deal rather than league-wide comparables.

Reactions: 57special
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad