Player Discussion Kirill Kaprizov (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Sign him for 3 years, retain on his salary (if necessary) & flip him to the contender that offers the best combination of C/W prospects + picks. This team should be building for a cup window 5 seasons from now. Kap is clearly not going to be around for that.

Allocating the $9M in savings towards Fiala + 2 high-end ELCs seems like a much more preferable situation for this dead cap era we’re entering.
Why is it clear that Kaprizov won't be around for 5 years?

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
There's a massive gap between him wanting to get the most amount of money possible during his career and him not wanting to be in Minnesota.
Nope , every move he’s made has been by design and it has the bright lights of NY or LA written all over it. He’s taking himself to UFA and he’s going to a big market.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think it's so much that he doesn't want to be in Minnesota, as it is he's trying to get the most money he can while reaching UFA as possible so he can go get more money and play for a winning team of his choice. Chances are, we're not going to be that winning team that gives him the most money in 3-5 years. But I don't think it has anything to do with wanting a huge market and a massive city. He wants money and wants to win.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I don't think it's so much that he doesn't want to be in Minnesota, as it is he's trying to get the most money he can while reaching UFA as possible so he can go get more money and play for a winning team of his choice. Chances are, we're not going to be that winning team that gives him the most money in 3-5 years. But I don't think it has anything to do with wanting a huge market and a massive city. He wants money and wants to win.
Bingo.

Dude wants what most players want. To win and make a shit ton of money doing so.

Reactions: Atas2000

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Agreed. Even if Kaprizov was born in Edina and had 5 kids in the youth hockey system, the smart play for his career is to get the best deal that he can get as close to 3 years as he can get. The fact that he's already Agreed to a 5 year term is actually evidence that getting out of Minnesota isn't a high priority

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Why hasn't his agent asked for a trade?

Doesn't seem like he's planning on getting traded anywhere.

Which contender team would he even want to play in? Rangers haven't even signed Zibanejad yet, and can't pay him too much. The rest of the teams with enough cap space just suck even way more than the Wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Theofanous has promised KK that he will get a record signing amount this time, and that he will get him a NHL contract similar to Panarin's in 3 years. KK might also have a model/singer/actress in his ear telling him that only NYC, Miami, or CA will do.

Gaborik was similar, but he played 8 years, and 10 times more games here.

It all sounds pretty high maintenance, to me.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Theofanous has promised KK that he will get a record signing amount this time, and that he will get him a NHL contract similar to Panarin's in 3 years. KK might also have a model/singer/actress in his ear telling him that only NYC, Miami, or CA will do.

Gaborik was similar, but he played 8 years, and 10 times more games here.

It all sounds pretty high maintenance, to me.
Source on any of this?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Source on any of this?

Just ignore it. No agent today can promise a player a huge contract in 2024, it all depends on the player's production during the next 3 years.

But Kaprizov has started his NHL career on the wrong foot, his character and reputation in this league has suffered some real damage already.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Just ignore it. No agent today can promise a player a huge contract in 2024, it all depends on the player's production during the next 3 years.

But Kaprizov has started his NHL career on the wrong foot, his character and reputation in this league has suffered some real damage already.
Not even a little bit

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Source on any of this?
Theofanous information is self evident for all that has been reported. KK has singer/model GF in Russia...I think Moscow based? You ask me whether she would rather be in MPLS/ LA, NYC, or Miami, given her profession?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Theofanous information is self evident for all that has been reported. KK has singer/model GF in Russia...I think Moscow based? You ask me whether she would rather be in MPLS/ LA, NYC, or Miami, given her profession?
So, no source then? Just talking out of your ass?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
83DC8B2E-9A55-477D-8A20-F5B33374BFE4.jpeg

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Respectfully disagree. Any current or future GM will have Kaps history in the back of his mind when he's thinking of signing the dude. Maybe it won't be a HUGE deal... but it will be there.
Current and future GM's will line up to hit their knees in front of Kaprizov the second he hits UFA, and they will offer him whatever he wants.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Current and future GM's will line up to hit their knees in front of Kaprizov the second he hits UFA, and they will offer him whatever he wants.
This is very likely to be true, and it is the main reason that we would like to have him for as many seasons as we can. Deals like the one KK gets when he hits UFA usually handicap a team's salary cap structure to the extent that they don't win championships.

Just once I'd like to see and NHLer (like KK after his RFA contract expires) decide, "I'm going to sign for 8M a year, so the team has room for Boldy, Rossi and all those other guys, and together we are going to win some Cups."

Reactions: StormFather

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is very likely to be true, and it is the main reason that we would like to have him for as many seasons as we can. Deals like the one KK gets when he hits UFA usually handicap a team's salary cap structure to the extent that they don't win championships.

Just once I'd like to see and NHLer (like KK after his RFA contract expires) decide, "I'm going to sign for 8M a year, so the team has room for Boldy, Rossi and all those other guys, and together we are going to win some Cups."
Crosby signed for less, and the the Boston guys(Bergeron and Marchand).

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Crosby signed for less, and the the Boston guys(Bergeron and Marchand).

Yep. Fairly good results, too.

Our cap structure is un-solvable for 4 years. I know that. But, if KK signs for 4 years, then at least there is free cap when his contract expires.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hawks won 3 Cups. After the last one, they gave Toews and Kane massive (at the time) new deals. They haven't won since, and usually don't make the playoffs. At least with them, they actually won something before getting a big payday. Kaprizov wants a bundle after playing 55 games, and unlike Toews and Kane, didn't give the team much of anything during the ELC years, preferring to spend his time in the KHL. I think Guerin has to read the tea leaves here, and trade KK when he can get something decent for him. If he signs him forst, it's critical that he signs him for a contract that isn't considered a boat anchor, or he will be impossible to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad