Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov (LW) - CSKA Moscow - 135th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Yep, thank you Acallabeth.

My thoughts from information so far: He sounds a lot like a certain 2010 #9 overall pick. Probably not as high of a ceiling, nor as talented, but everything from being a smart player on ice to not a very good shooter/skater sounds like him. And as we've seen from Granlund, one can definitely improve in those areas over time.

But yeah, we'll probably go see him next season and report back with some info.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yep, thank you Acallabeth.

My thoughts from information so far: He sounds a lot like a certain 2010 #9 overall pick. Probably not as high of a ceiling, nor as talented, but everything from being a smart player on ice to not a very good shooter/skater sounds like him. And as we've seen from Granlund, one can definitely improve in those areas over time.

But yeah, we'll probably go see him next season and report back with some info.

So you're saying he sounds like a bust? :sarcasm:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I think 1.75 points per game in Hlinka cant be a coincidence. A dude who cant skate or shoot doesnt go 1.75. How is the kid's work ethic? Lazy or hardworking outside the games?
I'm not saying he can't skate or shoot, but there's a lot of room for improvement.
Honestly, can't say anything specific on your question.

Thanks for sharing. So the kid scores because he's always in the right position? I'm also guessing if his shot isn't great, but he always capitalizes, it must be accurate, at least?

Well, for example, look at his 4 KHL goals:
Hope it's not geoblocked. Kaprizov scores from very close to the net most times, yeah, his hockey sense is his best asset, he knows when to pass and how to get open for a pass. I don't think it matters how accurate his shot is when it lacks power, he's not going to snipe corners if a goalie reacts to a shot. A less talented Granlund is maybe indeed a good comparison.

Great pass for a breakaway: http://video.khl.ru/quotes/258133

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I'm not saying he can't skate or shoot, but there's a lot of room for improvement.
Honestly, can't say anything specific on your question.

Hope it's not geoblocked. Kaprizov scores from very close to the net most times, yeah, his hockey sense is his best asset, he knows when to pass and how to get open for a pass. I don't think it matters how accurate his shot is when it lacks power, he's not going to snipe corners if a goalie reacts to a shot. A less talented Granlund is maybe indeed a good comparison.

The videos worked fine, in my opinion his ultimate upside is a Granlund/Parise -hybrid, but it's quite unlikely that he'll reach that. If all goes well, he projects as a Fontaine-type player. If he doesn't pan out, he'll have a career in KHL.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

The videos are not geoblocked. Seems like his shot is indeed decently accurate. You're right though, it's certainly not the hardest. Though it's obviously a very limited sample size, it seems from those videos like his goals tend to come by knowing where to be and knowing when to shoot. In one he waits for traffic in front of the net, in another he is the traffic in front of the net.

After watching that, I too think that a goal-scoring-less-skilled Granlund comparison isn't too bad of one.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He and Guryanov were considered as the best Russian prospects of 2015 draft. But while Guryanov is trying to establish himself as a KHL starter, Kaprizov is already one. He's played in all 6 games for Novukuznetsk, with almost 16 min TOI averagely , and already scored 4 points. It looks like his line is the top line of the team.

Oh, ****, I've found a wrong thread. I wanted to post it in Prospects section.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
He and Guryanov were considered as the best Russian prospects of 2015 draft. But while Guryanov is trying to establish himself as a KHL starter, Kaprizov is already one. He's played in all 6 games for Novukuznetsk, with almost 16 min TOI averagely , and already scored 4 points. It looks like his line is the top line of the team.

Oh, ****, I've found a wrong thread. I wanted to post it in Prospects section.
Well, even if you didn't mean to post it on the Wild board, we appreciate the info just the same :D

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I really like what I've seen from Kirill so far this year. He's been a steady part of the 1st line with Ryan Stoa and has played well with whatever other winger coaches threw at them, he plays 1st PP unit and isn't afraid of running it now, plays a bit of PK (usually with just a few seconds remaining), makes great passes all the time. Looks a lot more confident this season. I wouldn't say his extra weight (he's listed at 190 lbs now) made him any more physical, but he never ever shies away from a battle.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Awesome to hear good things about Kaprizov. He indeed seems to have similar qualities to Granlund: smart, great passes, not physical but doesn't shy out from dirty areas, playing well in men's league early on... I'm getting stoked about him. Sounds like he has a good chance to carve out a career in NHL if he wants to.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
If he wants to is of course the question.

But I'm reasonably confident we'll see him over here at some point.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I really like what I've seen from Kirill so far this year. He's been a steady part of the 1st line with Ryan Stoa and has played well with whatever other winger coaches threw at them, he plays 1st PP unit and isn't afraid of running it now, plays a bit of PK (usually with just a few seconds remaining), makes great passes all the time. Looks a lot more confident this season. I wouldn't say his extra weight (he's listed at 190 lbs now) made him any more physical, but he never ever shies away from a battle.

Have you noticed any improvements in his shot and/or skating compared to last year?

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
His skating looks a bit more explosive to me, but his technique still needs a lot of work. Shot still really lacks power, and I don't think it will ever exceed average level.

But look at this assist on the 1st goal.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
His skating looks a bit more explosive to me, but his technique still needs a lot of work. Shot still really lacks power, and I don't think it will ever exceed average level.

But look at this assist on the 1st goal.

Not available in my country. Still, thanks for all the information, really appreciate it. Looks like Kirill is exactly as advertised, a smart playmaking winger, really good offensively and solid hands. He really does remind me of a winger version of Mikael Granlund, without all the hype.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Not available in my country. Still, thanks for all the information, really appreciate it. Looks like Kirill is exactly as advertised, a smart playmaking winger, really good offensively and solid hands. He really does remind me of a winger version of Mikael Granlund, without all the hype.

Nice to see the positive reports rolling in about him.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The most exciting pick of the draft for me.

Still more excited about The Oak, but yeah, I know where you're coming from. Could be a gem. He's probably the 2nd most exciting pick in that draft for me. Greenway and Bouramman are not far behind.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i hope he spends a little time learning english over the next 3 years. i think we are so due to get lucky with a pick. kirill the thrill. sounds good 2 me.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'll echo that he's probably the most exciting prospect for me. A mix of the fact that he seems to have high potential, but he's still a mystery to me.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Still more excited about The Oak, but yeah, I know where you're coming from. Could be a gem. He's probably the 2nd most exciting pick in that draft for me. Greenway and Bouramman are not far behind.
The Oak is going to be awesome for us. His upside is a lot higher than most give him create for.

Kaprizov is interesting. Playmaking wingers have limits but they are still nice to have on the roster.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Yep, I'm pretty intrigued about Kaprizov as well. Just nice that we added some skill to our cupboards.. and a Russian skill player at that. Though I do agree with some others that I'm more excited about Ek. A shoot-first center with a laser of a wrist shot is something you don't see too often, especially within this organization.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Watched Kaprizov's Metallurg against Jokerit:

+ Utilized dead space nicely
+ Thinks the game well (aka hockey IQ)
+ Gets the puck off of his stick quickly
+ Defensively responsible

+ and - pretty but forced passes

- Weak physically (expected)
- (Lack of) skating / moving feet

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Watched Kaprizov's Metallurg against Jokerit:

+ Utilized dead space nicely
+ Thinks the game well (aka hockey IQ)
+ Gets the puck off of his stick quickly
+ Defensively responsible

+ and - pretty but forced passes

- Weak physically (expected)
- (Lack of) skating / moving feet

More of a professor than a slick speedster, then, I take it.

Reports saying that his shot isn't heavy don't scare me as much if he also does have a quick release. It doesn't have to be the fastest shot if it's off the stick before the goalie has even reacted. Obviously working on the shot's power will help him score more goals, but he'll still get some if his release is quick.

Thanks for posting your impressions of his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad