Votes: 55 16.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I firmly believe CGY could well be the Habs’ best trading partner — Habs can rake them over coals as the quest for Iginla could get desperate.
It's tough to gauge the value bc this is no ordinary #9++ to move up 4 spots..

I suspect it would along the lines of: LW Honzek (new friend for Slaf) and Calgary 1st for MTL 1st

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I was saying Slaf had potential but played like a dumbass. I liked his passing, didn't love his shot, but liked his moar bigger and puck protection. I still don't think he has ELITE skills, but you don't need elite skills if you're a f***ing behemoth who knows how to use it and have above average skills. Would have preferred another pick. Happy to be (possibly) wrong.

They seem to have fixed the hockey IQ (if he keeps it up) and he's improved his shot drastically. I want to see how he does when games matter. Galchenyuk did ok too when nothing was on the line.

Helenius is not a behemoth. What are his elite skills? He has good hockey IQ, but i don't see where he specifically excels other than being a decent all-rounder. I haven't seen a ton of him compared to some other prospects, but a lot of what I've seen has left me with a sense of Meh.
You can't fix hockey IQ. A player has it or he doesn't. A coach can give a player the opportunity and confidence to make the plays he is capable of. Or the coach (like Lefebvre) can ruin a player that has very good hockey IQ.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Zayne Parekh has to be the first potentially elite player with some obvious type of indian bloodline origin.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I wonder how far the Habs can squeeze Calgary for the chance of drafting Iginla?

Could they for instance, as part of the assets going the Habs way, have all the silly conditions that Hughes and Treliving negotiated, removed, such that the Monahan 1st rounder becomes a free and clear unprotected pick?

I sure as heck would get that done if it’s possible to do.
Indeed...

There's a real great opportunity here, especially if 1-2 forwards get picked in the 2-4 spots.

There's so much talent (or perhaps such a small apparent range of talent) in the top ~10 prospects after Mack, that this is a great draft to play deal maker.

If KH can find a way to sell #5 for a ransom, yet still come away with a pick in the 8-12 (Eisreman? Yakemchuk? Sennecke?) range and leverage the accumulated assets from dropping to add an established talent like Zegras... And/or drop back into the top 15-20?

Or, we pick BPA at 5OA and KH & crew nab a rising star who gives Mack a run for his money.

I love having a competent management team in place running the team.

I'm exc

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My worst fear and best case trading scenario at the same time.

I know this top 4 scenario has already been posted in here but evidently, more Hab fans are wary of it happening.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
You can't fix hockey IQ. A player has it or he doesn't. A coach can give a player the opportunity and confidence to make the plays he is capable of. Or the coach (like Lefebvre) can ruin a player that has very good hockey IQ.

It depends what the problem is. There are a lot of reasons one can make dumb decisions. It could be that they don't read the game quickly enough and never will. It could just be that he was a bonehead. It could be bad coaching at other levels.

I was concerned Slaf wasn't thinking the game quickly enough, especially since he kept getting obliterated every two seconds. That's harder to fix than "just keep your head up and make higher-percentage plays, dumbass, I don't care how big you think you are."

Screw you, snake :rant:

Oh God... what did he say now?

• Wow
Reactions: nicehiss

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well I would trade up to guarantee Demidov/Lindstrom, but if that's not an option and this is what we are left with, I'd trade back with the Flames to get Vancouver's 1st and then use the Jets 1st and Vancouver 1st to have another pick in the teens (Sharks could be interested).

So with 9+14, we'd be guaranteeing ourselves two of Silayev/Dickinson/Buium/Helenius/Iginla/Catton/Sennecke/Parekh/Eiserman/Yakemchuk

Even if the Sharks/team with mid teen pick wouldn't do this trade, I'm totally fine with drafting a guy like Catton at 9 and picking up an extra 1st. Although, I expect us to just take Iginla in this case instead of making trades.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Sure we didn't win the cup. But we got to the finals and made playoffs more often than not. We won at least 1 round 10 times in the last 20 years. 3 ECF. With often the worst forwards group of the playoffs that year.

Ottawa were 1 goal away from a final appearance themselves thanks to EK. Against the Penguins when they won their last cup. Their best forward that year was... Mike Hoffman.

Meanwhile the Canadian teams that were built around generational offence but didn't have a franchise D, what did they do? They need that #1 D.

Exactly, a #1D is more important than any other position.
Goalies are not that important in today's NHL as long as you have a good team. Look at the last 2 goalies that have won the Cup, Kuemper and Hill.
#1C is good to have but ask Toronto how that is going. Edmonton has yet to win the Cup despite McDavid producing at pretty much 2 PPG in the playoffs.
The #1D can not only shutdown the #1C but will be on the ice more than any other skater.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
My worst fear and best case trading scenario at the same time.

I know this top 4 scenario has already been posted in here but evidently, more Hab fans are wary of it happening.

If that is indeed the top 4 the Habs would be sitting there @ 5 looking around at a bunch of very good dmen really wishing they had a Ryan Leonard sitting there @ 5 this year. Too bad, so sad. :)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Hawk's forwards:

Bedard 5'10
Reichel 6'0
Nazar 5'10
Moore 5'11
Demidov 5'11?

I understand the Demidov appeal, but if you have a chance to get a #1 D instead of having one of the smallest top 6 in the NHL.. you think D would be a logical choice. Which they are weak on.
I mean none of Reichel/Nazar/Moore have proven anything and Demidov is going to be vastly better than them. Those three players probably won't be core forwards so I doubt their lack of size will matter when making a selection at 2. People bring up the Leafs as being too small up front yet ignore how the Bolts were led to two cups by 5'10 Point and 5'11 Kucherov. If they already had a bunch of young established top 6 guys that were undersized, you'd have a point but they got nobody right now besides Bedard and I guess Kurashev who will likely be a middle 6 player on a contender.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Iginla if Lindstrom is already taken or shown to have some significant injury concerns.

Iginla kept improving his stock all year and just scored the game winner in the gold medal game in Finland, finishing with 6 goals and 6 assists in 7 games, against the best players his age in the world.

The kid oozes talent, character and legacy. He’s my choice, and hopefully Hughes’ as well.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Out of pure principle there is nothing we should do to help a POS ownership of Chicago. Those guys can finish in the basement for the next 30 years.
I'm happy to finally know where our pick is going to be!

I know it's not very realistic, but I'm hoping Hughes can move up to 2nd .. we have the pieces to make a significant offer that would help Chicago in their rebuild. all depends on how Chicago sees the draft and the separation of the 2-5 ranked players

picking at 5th i want Demidov, Catton, Lindstrom, or Iginla.

Reactions: CaptainKirk

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Well, that was anticlimactic. No changes.

Everyone is picking where they finished.

1. San Jose
2. Chicago
3. Anaheim
4. Columbus
5. Montreal

At least we didn't drop, I guess.
Isn't that what most people want to see? No lottery, worst teams pick first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad