Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov lll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Just linking into the Main Board - "Prospects - Kirill Kaprizov Thread" I do not know how to place a reply to a Post from that Thread into this one, so I apologize if this seems out of place.

I have been following Mr. Kaprizov for a couple of years now and this has been much easier to do with the work that "Caser" has done in the Prospect Thread.

Although I primarily cheer for Canadian teams, Minny is kinda like an adopted nephew that we are cheering for to overcome their unfortunate childhood. I can relate since I was born into a Canucks family.

I am really excited to see this player suit up for the Wild after his KHL obligation is met. Best of luck to Minny's fanbase this coming season.

Thank you to "Caser" for continuing to do God's work in supplying these clips from Mother Russia. Cheers

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Not directed at him specifically but investigations continue about Team Russia at the Olympics. It's a risk factor.

Will he come over one day and be a good player? I think probably but in the meantime this thread reminds me of the sex ed scene from Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

Gotcha. It all started coming together for me when I saw Jesus Brodin's reply. Totally forgot for a moment about the doping scandal.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Anything interesting in Russo' latest article? Mentions Kappy in the title.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Asked if he's set up a trip to visit Kaprizov in Russia yet, Geurin says he's thinking somewhere around November 30 through December 3. Says that he's talked to his agent and they're definitely trying to figure something out to all meet over there.

Asked if seeing all that Kaprizov has accomplished makes excited, he said yes, and that they have to make sure they have a good relationship with him.

Asked if he's confident that Kaprizov plans on coming over next year, he said "I'm pretty confident. We've had good discussions." Reiterates that we want him, and Kap wants to come, but it'll be a culture shock and they just need to try to make the transition as comfortable as possible for him.

Asked what he means by making the transition as comfortable as possible, and if that entails signing another Russian player perhaps, Guerin said it's too far off in the distance right now to talk about what they'll do to ease the transition, if they sign a Russian player it's going to be the right player and the right fit, rather than signing a Russian for the sake of having another Russian. Said he wants to make sure "our guys" are taken care of, and if that means getting help with a second language or whatever, they'll make it happen.

That was all that was said about Kaprizov. There are quite a few more questions about a broad range of stuff from training camp to Guerin's history to staffing questions.

Some of the more noteworthy stuff from those questions (in my opinion):
  • PJ Fenton and Darren Yopyk will co-run the draft again, at least for one more season, while Guerin evaluates all his staff (purposely hasn't made any staffing moves yet, is comfortable with what he has for now).
  • Says he's confident Kunin can be the 2nd line center if needed.
  • He seems to really like Dumba, both on and off the ice (as if anyone could not like Dumba).
  • He has great relationships with at least most of the 30 other GM's in the league, and a lot of them called him when he first accepted the position, lots of guys offering advice and support if needed.
  • Is going to be involved with the team heavily, certainly at the start, but does want to get involved with scouting down the line as well.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not a lot. The only news-ish thing was that he's heading to Russia in late Nov/early Dec to to see Kaprizov and Milstein. H sounds like he's on pretty good terms with the agent, though.

My take-aways were more about Guerin than the team. A lot of his answers went back to expressing confidence in specific guys or the team overall: Kunin at 2C, Dubnyk in goal, that guys will "pay the price" to score goals even without star players. He seemed to be very aware that fans weren't the only ones that read these interviews, which is probably a good thing.

One answer to a question about spending time around the team vs being out scouting stood out:

"I’ll be around the team a lot, especially at the start. But then, there are certain tournaments and things like that that I’d like to see. I’d like to see some of the amateur stuff to start narrowing down, get an idea of where we would be picking, see the first-round picks in that kind of area. So, sometimes, I don’t know, it’s good for me to get out and make sure I don’t shut myself off to the rest of the hockey world."

There's obvious subtext to that one. I don't know if it's between Russo and Guerin or just the result of a lot of internal meetings, but being "shut off" from the rest of the hockey world is something that's probably come up a lot since he took over.

It also doesn't sound like he's eager to start replacing all of Fenton's people, but again it's one of those "what's he supposed to say?" things. He has to work with these guys for some length of time and having everyone looking over their shoulders isn't going to help.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
PJ Fenton should continue to rent, and not pay the initiation fee for a private Golf Club membership, is all I'm saying.

Reactions: FVM and Lapa

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Billy got me feeling nervous. Hitting the media hard with what he wants through trades and a kap is absolutely coming over comment at the same time.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wasn’t the doping scandal in Sochi in 2014?
And continued well after to the point many Russian athletes were banned from the Winter Olympics two years later along with "Russia" not being an official participant, but those not involved with doping, competing under the Olympic flag instead as "Olympic Athletes from Russia."

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Not directed at him specifically but investigations continue about Team Russia at the Olympics. It's a risk factor.

Will he come over one day and be a good player? I think probably but in the meantime this thread reminds me of the sex ed scene from Monty Python's Meaning of Life.

Yea ok, but what's the Olympic investigation gotta do with the KHL? The IIHF directly conducts the control of anti-doping activities in the KHL.

If there are players with "special training regimens", they likely exist more so in the NHL than any other league (particularly those existing under the IIHF umbrella) considering the NHL's absolute minimum level of testing and oversight under the CBA.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's fair to assume that doping is not just a Russian phenomenon but instead a wherever-players-get-paid-to-play phenomenon. If there's money on the table, people will do whatever it takes to get the largest chunk of it that they can. The chance of getting caught and suspended is the risk, but the potential payout is a reward that goes into the millions of dollars. At that point, ignoring potential health side-effects, you'd be stupid not to dope.

Obviously the decision to dope or not dope is more complicated in the real world where risk factors can vary, but to allay Zine's fear that Americans actually believe doping is just a Russian thing, I thought, being an American, I'd make it clear why people do it from an American's point of view.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im hungry like a wolf lickin its chops over kirill in a wild uniform.
hungry-wolf-cartoon-holds-cutlery-lick-one-s-lips-87346200.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad