Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov lll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Kaprizov dropped to 40th on Pronman's top prospect list for this year. Boldy was 14th.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't understand what Kaprizov did to drop so many spots. I mean, all he did was to lead the KHL in goals, and be one of Russia's best players in international Men's play (as opposed to U18). Are Caufield's and Kaliyev's goals that they scored in Junior more important?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't understand what Kaprizov did to drop so many spots. I mean, all he did was to lead the KHL in goals, and be one of Russia's best players in international Men's play (as opposed to U18). Are Caufield's and Kaliyev's goals that they scored in Junior more important?
It would be impossible for a good scout to be able to try and rank that many different players from that many different draft classes playing in every league around the world. For a guy like Pronman to even try it is a guaranteed failure. He

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I think one of the factors is we know that Caulfield and Kaliyev will be signed and may play in the NHL. Kaprizov is still an unknown quantity in terms of coming over and playing (as Wild fans we are optimistic that he'll come over). Furthermore, for every Panarin you have, you get a Tolvanen or Gusev.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think one of the factors is we know that Caulfield and Kaliyev will be signed and may play in the NHL. Kaprizov is still an unknown quantity in terms of coming over and playing (as Wild fans we are optimistic that he'll come over). Furthermore, for every Panarin you have, you get a Tolvanen or Gusev.

I wouldn't use either of those players as a negative quite yet.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I wouldn't use either of those players as a negative quite yet.

They had a hard time adapting to the NHL though. Tolvanen was seen as a Kaprizov-type of player (he dominated as a rookie in the KHL, but struggled to adapt to the AHL). Gusev is oddly on his third team, and he's kind of old.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Kaprizov falls on ranking lists because there are lots of guys better at hockey. If he was as good as some fans think, he'd be in the world's best league and performing. He's on a loaded team playing chumps many nights. He's not even the best player on his own team and a guy who couldn't really hack the NHL is. He's basically what he's going to be: a solid winger who maybe puts up 60 points. It's too bad he didn't get the chance to develop against the world's best, but so it goes.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They had a hard time adapting to the NHL though. Tolvanen was seen as a Kaprizov-type of player (he dominated as a rookie in the KHL, but struggled to adapt to the AHL). Gusev is oddly on his third team, and he's kind of old.

Tolvanen: 35 points in 58 AHL games isn't bad for a 19 year old. Definitely not struggling. And I don't know how 7 games shows anything about adapting to the NHL.

Gusev: has played 0 NHL games.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Kaprizov falls on ranking lists because there are lots of guys better at hockey. If he was as good as some fans think, he'd be in the world's best league and performing. He's on a loaded team playing chumps many nights. He's not even the best player on his own team and a guy who couldn't really hack the NHL is. He's basically what he's going to be: a solid winger who maybe puts up 60 points. It's too bad he didn't get the chance to develop against the world's best, but so it goes.

He may not end up being as good as we think/hope, but those two things don't have anything to do with each other, in this case.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You d o understand that we are talking about a prospects list, right, where none of the players listed have played more than 25 NHL games, and the vast majority haven't played beyond the junior level?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
You d o understand that we are talking about a prospects list, right, where none of the players listed have played more than 25 NHL games, and the vast majority haven't played beyond the junior level?
Exactly. For that reason alone KK is a top 10 prospect in the world, still.

But shiny new toy syndrome is a real thing.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He may not end up being as good as we think/hope, but those two things don't have anything to do with each other, in this case.

They kind of do. The world's best hockey players are often playing in the NHL at age 19. Kaprizov will be 23 before he ever gets an official NHL jockstrap (if ever). Why? If he were truly one of the world's top ten prospects - such as teens Kaapo Kakko and Jack Hughes are - he would have been drafted earlier, signed sooner and been able to prove it against the best players in the world. He's a good prospect but he's not as good as many others, the proof being that he is playing in a worse league, against worse players, and doing ok at it. I'd rather have the guy who is capable of NHL performance, on NHL ice, against NHL-calibre athletes. Among the reasons he isn't one of those at this time is a relative lack of skill and upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad