Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov lll

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It would still be a 2 year ELC if he signs at any point before the end of next season.

That's incorrect. Section 9 of the CBA deals with ELCs, 9.2 clarifies Signing Age.

9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.

Bolded is the important part, it specifies calendar year not league year.

He turns 24 in April, and on September 15th, 2021 will be 24 years old. As it sits today (new CBA in theory could change this clause), any contract he signs in 2021 his signing age will be 24.

Reactions: barriers

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's incorrect. Section 9 of the CBA deals with ELCs, 9.2 clarifies Signing Age.

Bolded is the important part, it specifies calendar year not league year.

He turns 24 in April, and on September 15th, 2021 will be 24 years old. As it sits today (new CBA in theory could change this clause), any contract he signs in 2021 his signing age will be 24.
You're misinterpreting the term "calendar year". Next season will be considered Kaprizov's 23 year old season. The NHL's "calendar year" starts July 1st. Usually

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Anyone know if Kaprizov is a UFA in the KHL, or if CSKA owns his rights? If there was a different KHL team that wouldn't mind having him for just half the season.

He's not from Moscow, so may not have any particular loyalty to CSKA. They're just the ones that traded for him.

You're misinterpreting the term "calendar year". Next season will be considered Kaprizov's 23 year old season. The NHL's "calendar year" starts July 1st. Usually

No. I'm really not. Calendar year has a plan English language meaning. The CBA uses the term "League Year" when ever it is talking about a given season. League year is a defined term in Article 1 of the CBA. It would say something like "Your signing age is how old you were on September 15th of the League Year" if it was how old you were on a given season.

Also, from Russo's latest story on the situation

If Kaprizov ends up signing in the KHL for one more year and thus further delaying the start to his NHL career, he will be entering his 24-year-old year once Jan. 1 passes. That means he would only be able to sign a one-year entry-level contract with the Wild for the 2021-22 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mouser

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No. I'm really not. Calendar year has a plan English language meaning. The CBA uses the term "League Year" when ever it is talking about a given season. League year is a defined term in Article 1 of the CBA. It would say something like "Your signing age is how old you were on September 15th of the League Year" if it was how old you were on a given season.

Also, from Russo's latest story on the situation
I think you know as well as anyone that Russo has zero clue about the CBA. If Kaprizov wants to sign for the 21-22 season, then it will be a 1 year deal. If he signs anytime before next march, it will be a 2 year deal.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think you know as well as anyone that Russo has zero clue about the CBA. If Kaprizov wants to sign for the 21-22 season, then it will be a 1 year deal. If he signs anytime before next march, it will be a 2 year deal.
Fair about Russo, but I didn't get it from him. And you've provided zero evidence I'm wrong beyond your word.

So on the one hand you're saying its wrong and providing no evidence.

And on the other, one of the absolute clearest passages in the entire CBA saying that come January 1st hes First SPC Signing Age will be 24. Not to mention you're saying that they actually meant "League Year", a defined term thats used 870 times in the CBA.

If they meant League Year, they would have used League Year. It's as simple as that.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I was able to find the perfect example, and happened to be our good buddy Nate Prosser (https://www.capfriendly.com/players/nate-prosser).

He signed his ELC on March 18, 2010 at the age of 23 years old, even played under it.

But because he turned 24 in May, that made his First SPC Signing Age 24. And his ELC was only one year.

He signed again as an RFA in June.

TL/DR : Prosser signed at 23, played at 23, turned 24 in May and only signed a one year ELC. The exact same situation would happen with Kaprizov.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I’m not a Wild fan but I’m so annoyed with this decision. NHL needs talent and exciting players to grow their game. This kid needs to be in the NHL so I don’t understand this decision. I feel for you guys the most, a game breaking talent could turn your team into a top contender as long as you get decent goaltending.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I was able to find the perfect example, and happened to be our good buddy Nate Prosser (https://www.capfriendly.com/players/nate-prosser).

He signed his ELC on March 18, 2010 at the age of 23 years old, even played under it.

But because he turned 24 in May, that made his First SPC Signing Age 24. And his ELC was only one year.

He signed again as an RFA in June.

TL/DR : Prosser signed at 23, played at 23, turned 24 in May and only signed a one year ELC. The exact same situation would happen with Kaprizov.
You're right. I was looking for examples as well and found Belpedio. Makes zero sense. Probably why the NHL would do it like that. Every time I think that the NHL leadership can't possibly be worse at their job, I learn something like this.

Reactions: ThatGuy22

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You're right. I was looking for examples as well and found Belpedio. Makes zero sense. Probably why the NHL would do it like that. Every time I think that the NHL leadership can't possibly be worse at their job, I learn something like this.

Ya, they use League year for almost everything else. Very Strange. It does line up with draft eligible ages though, You're eligible to be drafted once you're 18 on September 15th.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
So what did Guerin say about this?

Based on what people tweet it sounds like Kaprizov is pissed because he has to wait another 6 months to play in the NHL, while the KHL plans to start next season early September. If he signs 1yr with CSKA he'll have to complete the entire season there, according to the team.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
So what did Guerin say about this?

Based on what people tweet it sounds like Kaprizov is pissed because he has to wait another 6 months to play in the NHL, while the KHL plans to start next season early September. If he signs 1yr with CSKA he'll have to complete the entire season there, according to the team.
Guerin didn't say shit. He said that they're still moving forward and that their goal is to still have him in a Wild sweater. That he has a call today with Kaprizov's agent (Paul Theofanous).

Russo specifically asked him if the Wild would sign Kaprizov even if he couldn't play and he avoided answering it by saying that it's certainly something they would have to think about.

He made it sound like he has been in touch with Kaprizov and his agent throughout this process and that Kaprizov is still eager to come to the NHL as soon as possible - but who knows how he feels after some of the more recent news. Kaprizov took down all photos that referenced Minnesota or had him in Wild attire from his Instagram.

Idk. Seems like a giant clusterf*** and I really hope the NHLPA board members all get hit by a bus simultaneously. Except for Brady Tkachuk.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Not true. Every single photo of him wearing Wild stuff has been posted on his Instagram Story. For those who doesn’t know how «story» works, it’s only out for 24 hours. Then it’s gone.

There is absolutely no need for more drama into this matter. Especially not the shit that ain’t true.
This isn't true. He had the photo of him holding up the Wild jersey from a year or so ago on his Instagram account.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Belpedio Signed a 2 year contract at 22 yrs old.
So, he is no longer waiver eligible. If he doesn't make big Wild out of camp he will have to clear waivers.
Also, if he doesn't dress in 80 games and have he will have 3 years of service by the end of his 25 yr old season, 20-21 season, he will be a G6 UFA.

Soucy was pretty close to same position 19-20 season with the exception of waivers out of camp.
He is now a G6 UFA since he didn't play in 80 games before he was 25 yrs old with 3 yrs of service.

This will be Sturms 3rd year of service also so i think same type of situation as Soucy and Belpedio after 20-21

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Belpedio Signed a 2 year contract at 22 yrs old.
So, he is no longer waiver eligible. If he doesn't make big Wild out of camp he will have to clear waivers.
Also, if he doesn't dress in 80 games and have he will have 3 years of service by the end of his 25 yr old season, 20-21 season, he will be a G6 UFA.

Soucy was pretty close to same position 19-20 season with the exception of waivers out of camp.
He is now a G6 UFA since he didn't play in 80 games before he was 25 yrs old with 3 yrs of service.

This will be Sturms 3rd year of service also so i think same type of situation as Soucy and Belpedio after 20-21

No, he signed a 2 year contract at 21 years old with a 22 year ELC Signing age. Signed April 5th, turned 22 May 14th. It illustrates the same point as Prosser in that it wasn't 3 years.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
No, he signed a 2 year contract at 21 years old with a 22 year ELC Signing age. Signed April 5th, turned 22 May 14th. It illustrates the same point as Prosser in that it wasn't 3 years.
I was going by entry level age according to cap friendly.
Same result.

I think Soucy is definitely going to check out his market value and is no cinch to sign with Wild.
He'd be foolish not to

Reactions: 2Pair

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
This isn't true. He had the photo of him holding up the Wild jersey from a year or so ago on his Instagram account.

He has never ever posted a picture on Instagram with him holding a Wild jersey.
The closest you get to something remotely similar is when he was photographed wearing a jersey, when Fenton visited him. And that was never anywere near his own Instagram.

What do you get from making up stuff like this?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
He has never ever posted a picture on Instagram with him holding a Wild jersey.
The closest you get to something remotely similar is when he was photographed wearing a jersey, when Fenton visited him. And that was never anywere near his own Instagram.

What do you get from making up stuff like this?
Yes there was an image like I described on his Instagram account from at minimum last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Webster

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I was going by entry level age according to cap friendly.
Same result.

I think Soucy is definitely going to check out his market value and is no cinch to sign with Wild.
He'd be foolish not to

Thats the entire point we were dicussing. His entry level age is 22, because he is 22 on September 15th, but was 21 when he actually signed and played games.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is going to look even worse when NHL cancels restart. They should have just cancelled the season, and tried to start in fall.

Second wave predicting is moronic.

At least by doing it this way, when the season gets cancelled, we'll get a 12.5% chance at Lafreniere. If they cancelled it from the start we'd only have like a 3% chance.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This is going to look even worse when NHL cancels restart. They should have just cancelled the season, and tried to start in fall.

Second wave predicting is moronic.

It's really not complicated. The NHL isn't viable in the fall without fans in the stands, and not finishing this season would make it even worse because they would get paid less by their broadcasters next year.

This is the best way to mitigate losses for both the owners and the players. (Think the players wanna play an 82 game 2020-2021 season for like 15 million combined per team as their share of HRR)

Reactions: 2Pair

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Guerin didn't say shit. He said that they're still moving forward and that their goal is to still have him in a Wild sweater. That he has a call today with Kaprizov's agent (Paul Theofanous).

Russo specifically asked him if the Wild would sign Kaprizov even if he couldn't play and he avoided answering it by saying that it's certainly something they would have to think about.

I have the same opinion every time I listen to Russo talk to Guerin. Getting information out of BG is like pulling teeth. And Russo continues to kiss his *ss. Great piece of journalism Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad