Prospect Info: Kirill Kaprizov lll

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Conspiracy theory time. Maybe we've all got it backwards. The NHL is purposely ruining the Wild's chances in the playoffs, they do want the Wild to lose, but it's because they've already rigged the draft lottery to give the #1 pick to one of the play-in losers, and that lottery for 1st overall will also be rigged. In favor of the Wild! The NHL is so sick of our mediocrity, of making the NHL boring, with our boring product, and our boring players who have boring personalities and play a boring trap, that they're forcing us to be exciting! Well done, NHL. Next level plotting, that's what they're doing!

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
They want top markets to make it far to generate as much revenue as possible. Cant be having Mild easily best Vancouver as they likely want Canada markets to go as far as possible.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Canucks fans are convinced that they are the red headed stepchild of the league. It's an ouch contest...LET'S GET IT ON!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

If the new collective bargaining agreement is ratified by the players Friday, the Wild and Kaprizov would have a 53-hour window, which sources say would start Monday at 11 a.m. CT and end at 4 p.m. Wednesday, to sign a contract starting with the 2019-20 season.
Otherwise, Kaprizov can sign a two-year deal starting in 2020-21 with the Wild at any point.
The Wild aren’t positive yet that Kaprizov would want to sign for 2019-20 and burn the first year. Kaprizov would not receive his 2019-20 salary or signing bonus if he burns the first year of his entry-level contract. He would, however, receive a $92,500 signing bonus for 2020-21 on Nov. 1, a $832,500 salary next season and up to $2.85 million in performance bonus potentials and get a year closer to a big payday next summer.
Kaprizov’s agent hasn’t responded to a request for comment on this subject.

The one thing the Wild were trying to get clarity on Wednesday from the NHL was if Kaprizov is signed for 2019-20, can they bring Kaprizov to Minnesota during this month’s training camp so he could begin to get acclimated to his new team and teammates, the practice facility and the Twin Cities?
They weren’t yet given an answer, sources say.

The Athletic asked the same question to an NHL source and was told this scenario “was not originally contemplated, but it’s something that we are currently discussing with the NHLPA.”
Russo also talks about the possibility of Kap being loaned to a European league instead of the KHL if he signs, so he would be more likely to join the Wild in a delayed start to the 20-21 season (as CSKA has made clear they won't sign him if it means he leaves when the NHL starts next season)

Last edited:
Reactions: AJ Thelen and pfunk

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy

Russo also talks about the possibility of Kap being loaned to a European league instead of the KHL if he signs, so he would be more likely to join the Wild in a delayed start to the 20-21 season (as CSKA has made clear they won't sign him if it means he leaves when the NHL starts next season)

I wonder if this is something CSKA is just saying in an attempt to try an pressure Kaprizov to not sign, but if he actually does sign here they'll "change" their minds on the matter..

Seems weird to me that a team don't want half a season with what would be the best player in the league.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Doesn't seem weird to me. Would you want to lose your best player going into the playoffs? Would totally screw with team chemistry. Better to bite the bullet earlier, and put the team together correctly at the start.

On the Brodin re-signing referenced in the same article. Would anyone be surprised if he demands a NMC, at least till after the Seattle NMC? Spurgeon got one, and Zuccarello too. If the Wild are not willing to offer one, then he would have to guess that MN is looking to move him or leave him unprotected for the Seattle ED. Handing NMC's out like candy is putting management at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiations.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Doesn't seem weird to me. Would you want to lose your best player going into the playoffs? Would totally screw with team chemistry. Better to bite the bullet earlier, and put the team together correctly at the start.

On the Brodin re-signing referenced in the same article. Would anyone be surprised if he demands a NMC, at least till after the Seattle NMC? Spurgeon got one, and Zuccarello too. If the Wild are not willing to offer one, then he would have to guess that MN is looking to move him or leave him unprotected for the Seattle ED. Handing NMC's out like candy is putting management at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiations.
Brodin will be a UFA if he isn't resigned before Seattle draft.
What are the chances Guerin doesn't resign him, protects Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba and then resigns Brodin on July 1st or whatever day UFA begins next summer .......... Hmmmmm

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Guerin can't even consider re-signing Brodin until he knows exactly what he wants to do with the expansion draft

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't know all of the rules, but I'd guess that Guerin would be able to heavily indicate, without actually offering, what deal would be on the table afterwards if Brodin declines to negotiate with Seattle. Then it'd be all up to Brodin.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I don't know all of the rules, but I'd guess that Guerin would be able to heavily indicate, without actually offering, what deal would be on the table afterwards if Brodin declines to negotiate with Seattle. Then it'd be all up to Brodin.
Ding Ding Ding Ding

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
And why would Brodin re-sign here, again? Is it because we are matching the offers he can get elsewhere, or even beating them? I can guarantee that he will get strong interest from more than a few teams such as DET, NJD, and MTL, to name just a few.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And why would Brodin re-sign here, again? Is it because we are matching the offers he can get elsewhere, or even beating them? I can guarantee that he will get strong interest from more than a few teams such as DET, NJD, and MTL, to name just a few.

Yeah, possibly.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
The flat salary cap ongoing is going to make the free agency signings much different than most years. Plenty of teams will need cap relief.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
The flat salary cap ongoing is going to make the free agency signings much different than most years. Plenty of teams will need cap relief.
Tier 1 guys will always get paid no matter what. The only other noteworthy UFA defensemen are Hamilton and Larsson, so I would expect Brodin to be right behind Hamilton in terms of teams lining up for his services.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There's no reason we should be keeping Brodin without signing him. If we can afford the risk of letting him hit free agency without locking him up, we should be trading him ASAP. If he's a part of the future of this team, then sign him and worry about the expansion draft later.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There's no reason we should be keeping Brodin without signing him. If we can afford the risk of letting him hit free agency without locking him up, we should be trading him ASAP. If he's a part of the future of this team, then sign him and worry about the expansion draft later.
Signing Brodin now, kills any chance of trading him. It also puts a major hit on Dumba's trade value.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Signing Brodin now, kills any chance of trading him. It also puts a major hit on Dumba's trade value.
Why ?
Seattle draft protect 4 - Suter , Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin
4 - Fiala. Parise , Zucc, JEE
1 - Kakko
I don't see any other F that's so valuable right now and Kaprozov will be exempt
If 1 of the NTC guys get moved it makes it better

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why ?
1 - Kakko
I don't see any other F that's so valuable right now and Kaprozov will be exempt

I think the only concern of committing to something like this right now is if Kunin, Donato or Greenway has a monster year next year, and you wouldn't have the extra slots for them anymore.

But I'm fine with re-signing Brodin and moving Dumba like Doc said, that way you have the flexibility to go 7-3-1, but at the same time, if Soucy improves even more and none of the forwards separate themselves, you can still go 4-4-1 if you want.

But if we're going to re-sign Brodin and move Dumba then it probably needs to be in the offseason or close to the start of the regular season, which is hard when the offseason is only going to be like one month long.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Why ?
1 - Kakko
What about the center that still needs to be acquired? That player better be someone worth protecting.

The right move is signing Brodin and trading Dumba, IMO, but it's pretty tough to stomach either way.
The "right move" should've happened last summer

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nsjohnson and AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What about the center that still needs to be acquired? That player better be someone worth protecting.

Well presumably if there is a center worth protecting, one of Brodin or Dumba won't be here and we don't need to protect 4 D.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think the only concern of committing to something like this right now is if Kunin, Donato or Greenway has a monster year next year, and you wouldn't have the extra slots for them anymore.

But I'm fine with re-signing Brodin and moving Dumba like Doc said, that way you have the flexibility to go 7-3-1, but at the same time, if Soucy improves even more and none of the forwards separate themselves, you can still go 4-4-1 if you want.

But if we're going to re-sign Brodin and move Dumba then it probably needs to be in the offseason or close to the start of the regular season, which is hard when the offseason is only going to be like one month long.

Couldn't you do the Dumba thing at the end of the season, prior to the ED?

The "right move" should've happened last summer

Potentially, but then I would've missed out on watching a great player play for my favorite team this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad