Confirmed with Link: Kirby Dach has been recalled (& is staying in the NHL)

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Why wouldn't it be? He's 6'4, 200+lbs. He's as big, or bigger than most guys he's going into the corner with. I mean... when do you say, "Sure, Kirby, now you can go take a hit in the corner, since you added 7lbs of muscle."?? :laugh: He stood up and planted MacDermid on his ass against the Kings the other day, who is 6'5, 235lbs. I'd say he's fine going into the corners.

And sorry, but I didn't make the comparison, someone else did. How am I arguing against myself? I merely pointed out why it was a stupid comparison, or did you miss that? You posted to me that it was a bad comparison, but did you not realize that I was also telling the person who compared them that it was a bad comparison?
Hawks have one of the best Strength and Conditioning coaches around Dach and Boquist will be fine

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
And I’m sure the Hawks would rather him learn that up in the big leagues rather than the middle of nowhere in Western Canada.

It would seem that this is the Hawk's view. It is certainly not unreasonable.

The risk is that a young player might struggle in the NHL and lose some confidence as a result. Another risk is that of discouragement being on a struggling team that loses a great deal - and being exposed to a locker room likely filled with some frustration. On the other hand, if the players compete level and heart and determination is sufficiently developed - such risk of lack of confidence and/or discouragement is likely more than compensated for by stretching the kid & forcing him to compete at the highest level and increasing the likely rate of improvement. We, as posters, cannot discern with accuracy just how prepared Dach (or Boquist) are in terms of bearing up against some adversity. But, I surmise the coaches are well aware of just how ready the guys are.

It would appear that for Dach the coaches are convinced he is ready mentally to have at it. If that is so, then certainly both he and the Hawks have much to gain by keeping him up - much more so than in, as you say - "the middle of nowhere in Western Canada." As for Boquist, we will see where the coaches go with him when the time comes.

t this point, we just trust the discernment of the coaches and root for the kid. And.. have a little patience, because no matter how good Dach is - and he may well be very good - he will make some "rookie" mistakes and likely disappear at times.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
That interview certainly revealed that Kirby is still a boy. He is young and his word choice in expressing himself reflects his youth and lack of polish. It sounded like a group of junior high boys conversing for the most part. That said, he will mature and grow. He did show that he has a reasonable comfort level with himself and, at the same time, he has a level of respect for the game and the games established players -- and this is good.

:facepalm:

Of course it was to be off the cuff. Being off the cuff - whether private or public - whatever the context, wherever the context, swearing in normative conversation is rather immature. Most people (clearly not all, but most) grow out of such a means of conversation by "adulthood."

:laugh:

Intelligence and maturity are indeed two different things. No direct correlation exists between maturity/wisdom and raw intellect. I never stated (or inferred) that cursing in typical conversation reflects lack of intellect - rather, it reflects a lack of maturity.

:whatever:

Holy f***, pull the stick out of your ass. Swearing has absolutely nothing to do with maturity. It's a form of expression, that is becoming less and less taboo... Words that were considered "swears" decades ago, are now everyday vocabulary. You know why people swear? Because how a word sounds when spoken, accentuates the point you are trying to make...

For example:

Your opinion on this isn't very good.
Your opinion on this f***ing sucks.

Know which one drives the point home better?

Trying to draw a correlation between the language people choose to express themselves, and their maturity level, to somehow make yourself appear superior, just makes you look like an ass. Pretty much nobody, anywhere, agrees with you in the modern day.

You must be a shit ton of fun at parties....

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
#teamnotats

giphy.gif

Reactions: BK

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Intelligence and maturity are indeed two different things. No direct correlation exists between maturity/wisdom and raw intellect. I never stated (or inferred) that cursing in typical conversation reflects lack of intellect - rather, it reflects a lack of maturity.

Implied.

While we’re getting things off our chests, and this isn’t directed at you, I’d appreciate if hf hawks could make a concerted effort towards correct usage of the following. I’ve been a good sport, but it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Infer/imply
Compliment/complement
Your/you’re
Less/fewer

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Implied.

While we’re getting things off our chests, and this isn’t directed at you, I’d appreciate if hf hawks could make a concerted effort towards correct usage of the following. I’ve been a good sport, but it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Infer/imply
Compliment/complement
Your/you’re
Less/fewer
THANK YOU!

To Infer is reading between the lines.
Implication is a hidden message that can be inferred from your writing

Ja wohl Lord Helmet. I will go back to being a grammar nazi.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Implied.

Infer/imply
Compliment/complement
Your/you’re
Less/fewer

No problem In my case you are correct. I should have used implied rather than inferred. The speaker/writer does the implying, and the listener does the inferring.

I was in no way endeavoring to slyly say (imply) that one who swears regularly is somehow lacking in intellect. Rather, I directly stated that it is immature. Not everyone here agrees, clearly. That said, the extent to which people agree or disagree with that particular view - or, for that matter, most any subjective opinion - depends greatly upon what group you poll. In many circles, the majority polled would hold the same perspective as I. in others - apparently like here - not so much.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It would seem that this is the Hawk's view. It is certainly not unreasonable.

The risk is that a young player might struggle in the NHL and lose some confidence as a result. Another risk is that of discouragement being on a struggling team that loses a great deal - and being exposed to a locker room likely filled with some frustration. On the other hand, if the players compete level and heart and determination is sufficiently developed - such risk of lack of confidence and/or discouragement is likely more than compensated for by stretching the kid & forcing him to compete at the highest level and increasing the likely rate of improvement. We, as posters, cannot discern with accuracy just how prepared Dach (or Boquist) are in terms of bearing up against some adversity. But, I surmise the coaches are well aware of just how ready the guys are.

It would appear that for Dach the coaches are convinced he is ready mentally to have at it. If that is so, then certainly both he and the Hawks have much to gain by keeping him up - much more so than in, as you say - "the middle of nowhere in Western Canada." As for Boquist, we will see where the coaches go with him when the time comes.

t this point, we just trust the discernment of the coaches and root for the kid. And.. have a little patience, because no matter how good Dach is - and he may well be very good - he will make some "rookie" mistakes and likely disappear at times.

The fact that Dach must return to Jr vs the AHL for Bo is also a factor in the decision(s) upcoming. That said, I reckon both will stay with Hawks, for better or worse.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I think perhaps some among us are so defensive because they wrongly infer the word trashy as a value judgment on the nature of one’s character, rather than an observation about class/sophistication.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I think perhaps some among us are so defensive because they wrongly infer the word trashy as a value judgment on the nature of one’s character, rather than an observation about class/sophistication.
They intersect.

I know you know we usually get along on most things, but this isn’t one of them. I have half sleeves on both my arms and they’re definitely not trashy. No use trying to convince you otherwise though.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
No problem In my case you are correct. I should have used implied rather than inferred. The speaker/writer does the implying, and the listener does the inferring.

I was in no way endeavoring to slyly say (imply) that one who swears regularly is somehow lacking in intellect. Rather, I directly stated that it is immature. Not everyone here agrees, clearly. That said, the extent to which people agree or disagree with that particular view - or, for that matter, most any subjective opinion - depends greatly upon what group you poll. In many circles, the majority polled would hold the same perspective as I. in others - apparently like here - not so much.

Not so fast Kowalski! :)

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
this is the Dach thread you f***ing douche bags...show some respect for our future Captain and savior and get back on topic....nobody gives a shit about your thoughts/feelings/beliefs or your man titties here...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad