Confirmed with Link: Kirby Dach has been recalled (& is staying in the NHL)

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Main difference is the NHL pays its players so it’s not hindering a player for it’s own purposes.
They're not hindering the player nearly so much as they are reaping the benefits of having had a major hand in the players development.

Is it really now a bad thing to be able to profit off the time and money spent to develop a player?

Reactions: d rake

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
They're not hindering the player nearly so much as they are reaping the benefits of having had a major hand in the players development.

Is it really now a bad thing to be able to profit off the time and money spent to develop a player?
Depends on the amount imo. Tbf I don’t know enough about profits especially in junior but I think the players are likely getting the short-end especially when you consider some only play four years and can potentially suffer from injury the rest of their lives.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Depends on the amount imo. Tbf I don’t know enough about profits especially in junior but I think the players are likely getting the short-end especially when you consider some only play four years and can potentially suffer from injury the rest of their lives.
You do understand that no one is forcing them to play right? They can go finish school, get a job and live a normal life like the rest of us. Theyre playing hockey because they want to play hockey.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You do understand that no one is forcing them to play right? They can go finish school, get a job and live a normal life like the rest of us. Theyre playing hockey because they want to play hockey.
Yes... But if your goal is to play professionally and you are drafted what right does a team not paying you have to hinder your development or tell you where you have to play.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Yes... But if your goal is to play professionally and you are drafted what right does a team not paying you have to hinder your development or tell you where you have to play.
It's not their only path to pro hockey. They can, if they prefer, go to US college, and pursue their goal in that direction. These kids arent dumb, they can make up their own mind about whether or not the CHL is part of their career path.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It's not their only path to pro hockey. They can, if they prefer, go to US college, and pursue their goal in that direction. These kids arent dumb, they can make up their own mind about whether or not the CHL is part of their career path.
If you are 17-20 than you are probably a little dumb ;)
The problem with the CHL is once they make the decision which was likely made in their 14-17th years is that a company is making profit and using leverage to deter you from bettering yourself. If they make profit on and control your career trajectory than they are using you. Its not about the CHL taking a bigger chunk but more about them taking it all and having the audacity to ask for control of the players lives while they remain in control or reap the benefits.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
If you are 17-20 than you are probably a little dumb ;)
The problem with the CHL is once they make the decision which was likely made in their 14-17th years is that a company is making profit and using leverage to deter you from bettering yourself. If they make profit on and control your career trajectory than they are using you. Its not about the CHL taking a bigger chunk but more about them taking it all and having the audacity to ask for control of the players lives while they remain in control or reap the benefits.
Deter them from bettering themselves? It is completely in the CHL's best interest to develop the player into the best player they can. And most kids who went through the CHL will tell you it helped shape them and was a positive experience. Every kid that goes through, at worst, gets a year of free secondary education for every year they played in the league.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Deter them from bettering themselves? It is completely in the CHL's best interest to develop the player into the best player they can. And most kids who went through the CHL will tell you it helped shape them and was a positive experience. Every kid that goes through, at worst, gets a year of free secondary education for every year they played in the league.
I don't know if you are intentionally missing the point but the there are players that outgrow the league. You don't think holding onto a player that should be challenged is hindering their development?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I don't know if you are intentionally missing the point but the there are players that outgrow the league. You don't think holding onto a player that should be challenged is hindering their development?
Youre definitely missing my point. I think above anything else its the league being able to reap the benefits of selling tickets with a player they spent time and money to develop.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Youre definitely missing my point. I think above anything else its the league being able to reap the benefits of selling tickets with a player they spent time and money to develop.
They make money for 2-3 seasons out of these guys so why do the players owe them more? These teams aren’t struggling money wise and aren’t paying these players. Seems a little entitled to treat them like property. Anyways we likely aren’t going to come to an agreement aha.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
So now that you guys have had a reasonable amount of viewings on the guy and have seen his strengths and weakness can I ask what your expectations are, what you think of his possible ceiling and if your expectations have gone up since getting more views?

Reactions: d rake

ello

Jun 12, 2018
So now that you guys have had a reasonable amount of viewings on the guy and have seen his strengths and weakness can I ask what your expectations are, what you think of his possible ceiling and if your expectations have gone up since getting more views?
Prototypical number one center, can do literally anything asked from him and excel in all those areas

I think he’s a better skating version Mark Scheifele (also with better defensive instincts). He doesn’t shoot the puck quite like like Scheifele can IMO, but his superior vision and hands more than make up for that.

So maybe 80-90 points, 25-30 goals a year?

Also I think he’s been steadily getting better ever since the WHL playoffs last year, so yes I would say my expectations have increased the more I have watched him play

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

He’s a better 2-way player than I thought. They seem to be going about having him learn to play the game the right way and not worry so much about racking up points. (This was in an interview with Bowman earlier this week.) His confidence is growing and you could tell that from the game tonight with glimpses of his offensive game shining through. Hopefully the points will start to come but I think most here would be happy if he gets 30-40 points this year while continuing his 2-way game. I would like to see him get a little more ice time and be put on the first PP unit going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad