Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Some of you guys need to study up on probability and statistics. Unless a player has some chronic injury (such as groin/concussion) or gets repeating injuries from reckless play or physical frailty -- there is no injury prone. Just bad luck. And with apologies to Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, there is no law of averages that states "chances go around". Sure in the long run they will tend to even out but as congresswoman AOC's favorite economist Milton Keynes once said -- " in the long run we are all dead".
LOL with a snort.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Some of you guys need to study up on probability and statistics. Unless a player has some chronic injury (such as groin/concussion) or gets repeating injuries from reckless play or physical frailty -- there is no injury prone. Just bad luck. And with apologies to Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, there is no law of averages that states "chances go around". Sure in the long run they will tend to even out but as congresswoman AOC's favorite economist Milton Keynes once said -- " in the long run we are all dead".
Back problems are of the chronic variety. They also lead to other injuries due to overcompensating.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/29 results:

Hamilton lost 8-2, Kaliyev had an Assist(54) and -2.
Kitchener won 5-4 in a SO, Ingham stopped 37/41. Dudas had an Assist(37) and -1.
Spokane won 4-3 in a SO, Parik DNP.

3/1 games:

Barrie @ Peterborough (Thomas)
London (Phillips) @ Erie
Moncton (Spence) @ Rimouski

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
People, including me, still have doubts Gabe can play a 200 ft game due to his average skating.

He's honestly not much slower than Kopitar. One thing I've noticed with Gabe is he looks likes hes going at very different speeds from game to game. Being lined up against such a quick line against NJ, it looked like he was thinking a LOT out there and not reacting. His speed is certainly an acclimation issue as much as a physical one.

As he keeps learning, I don't think his skating will be a detriment at all. It's never going to be a strength for sure.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He's honestly not much slower than Kopitar. One thing I've noticed with Gabe is he looks likes hes going at very different speeds from game to game. Being lined up against such a quick line against NJ, it looked like he was thinking a LOT out there and not reacting. His speed is certainly an acclimation issue as much as a physical one.

As he keeps learning, I don't think his skating will be a detriment at all. It's never going to be a strength for sure.
It’s a question mark for sure however we need to remember he is still playing catch up and probably still isn’t as fast as he was in junior. A full preseason will give us a much better feel for how is skating will trend but I’d imagine he’s got a good 12-18 months of organic improvement there, plus any actual technical development. He won’t be an elite skater but if he ends up average speed wise then that’s a result. His IQ is going to be elite so with the right line mates he’s going to be deadly.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Not the end of the world if he's just a one-dimensional offensive player or even switches over to playing the wing, or even if he does most of his damage on the PP.

Players like this have been frowned upon by the Kings and alot of this fanbase but plenty of teams employ guys like this and they play important roles.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Its hard to say in the first few games of an NHL career. Lots of guys "look slower" cause mentally they can't keep up with the pace of play, so there reactions are a half second behind putting their legs a half second behind. That along with improve knowledge of teammates/angles you need to play in the NHL can improve "speed" or atleast the appearance of speed by a player.

Not to say improving that that is the only thing that could hold Vilardi back speed wise. But getting to a Thornton/Kopi/Getz level of skating is all you need to dominate if you use your body properly.

A guy like Turcotte couldn't survive with Vilardi's skating. But they don't play the same game.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Keep in mind that while skating is important, people put too much emphasis on skating speed. Otherwise, you'd all be fawning over Austin Wagner.

What Vilardi has over many prospects is speed of mind. He processes the game very quickly and he moves the puck without much telegraphing.

While Vilardi does need to improve his skating to get back in the defensive zone faster, he doesn't need high-end speed to make plays or protect the puck.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It was obvious that Gabe struggled a couple times speed wise going back on defense, but we do see what Kopitar always does and it skews the perception a bit. Anze is a beast on the backcheck, he's so dominant physically and is a complete handful. Vilardi will likely never have that in his game, and I for one hope they don't try to turn him into that. Guys like Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron, they are few and far between. I'd rather the team try to develop him with more of a focus on offense, as long has his defense is acceptable. Turcotte already has that in his game, and Kopitar is going to be here a while still. With Vilardi's offensive strengths, I'd like to see him cut loose a bit. Responsible play is important, but the team has drafted a lot of guys who are more pure offensive firepower lately. I just don't want to see them saddled down by so many defensive requirements that they overthink it and are a step behind. Gotta release the hounds a little bit.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
3/1 results:

Peterborough won 6-1, Thomas had an Assist(55) and +2.
London won 6-3, Phillips had an Assist(7) and +1.
Moncton won 3-1, Spence was scoreless and -1.

3/3 games:

London (Phillips) @ Kitchener (Ingham)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Our boy Bulat has 11 goals in 15 games. Granted it's MHL, but at least he's a bit beasty.

Let the speculation that he's a future first liner begin....

Those guys are all dead to me until they leave Russia, honestly.

Pretty sick of the development path being "we're going to bury you on the 4th line until you're mid-20s and give up on the NHL."

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
3/3 results:

London won 6-2, Phillips was scoreless and +3, Ingham stopped 26/31 in 40 minutes.

3/4 games:

Owen Sound (Dudas) @ Flint
Spokane (Parik) @ Edmonton

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
3/4 results:

Owen Sound won 5-2, Dudas had a Goal(15), an Assist(38) and +2.
Spokane won 6-2, Parik stopped 25/27.

3/5 games:

Hamilton (Kaliyev) @ Peterborough (Thomas)
Owen Sound (Dudas) @ Windsor
Moncton (Spence) @ Acadie-Bathurst

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Bulldogs fired their HC. Not sure what sort of effect it will have on Kaliyev and Co.

They are down 3-0 after 20 mins in Peterborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad