Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
...are you seriously asking if I'm seriously arguing that mono is considered an injury?

Go re-read and feel free to edit your post

Maybe I misunderstood you, it seemed like you were referencing this injury as his 3rd in a relatively short period of time. As far as I know, one of those 3 occasions where he missed time was from mono, but if I was wrong I apologize. Anyways, we likely should wait until we actually know why he is missing games before speculating on him being an injury risk.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Turcotte’s best hockey ability is his mind. He still has that last I heard. He will grow bigger and stronger, he will get healthy.

he is a young pup playing in some cases against much more developed men. He had mono which can take months to recover from and is still getting used to college life and hockey.

Let’s give the kid a year before we lose our crap on the selection. I was praying for a certain Dman to still be there at 5 but he wasn’t. I paid a lot of attention to him at the WJC as I am a Canada fan and he didn’t look so hot either. I would still trade any prospect we have for him.

long story short I am far more worried about Kupari sustaining a leg injury as his legs are his bread and butter than Turcotte getting some minor injuries hear and there

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Don't know about any of that. I certainly wasn't revising history. The fact is, he's had one not so minor injury last season and one this season that's sidelined him going on 2 weeks. Might be a nothing injury or he might be out awhile. Who knows.

All I'm saying is that AT THE MOMENT, it raises an eyebrow.
It only raises an eyebrow if you want to get a hyperbolic about it. There is nothing to even be slightly concerned about. It’s like you are reaching in a search for a problem and trying to create a narrative. At absolute best you are way over thinking it.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Turcotte’s best hockey ability is his mind. He still has that last I heard. He will grow bigger and stronger, he will get healthy.

he is a young pup playing in some cases against much more developed men. He had mono which can take months to recover from and is still getting used to college life and hockey.

Let’s give the kid a year before we lose our crap on the selection. I was praying for a certain Dman to still be there at 5 but he wasn’t. I paid a lot of attention to him at the WJC as I am a Canada fan and he didn’t look so hot either. I would still trade any prospect we have for him.

long story short I am far more worried about Kupari sustaining a leg injury as his legs are his bread and butter than Turcotte getting some minor injuries hear and there
There is nothing to debate about the selection of Turcotte, he was the absolute consensus BPA.

Reactions: funky

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Maybe I misunderstood you, it seemed like you were referencing this injury as his 3rd in a relatively short period of time. As far as I know, one of those 3 occasions where he missed time was from mono, but if I was wrong I apologize. Anyways, we likely should wait until we actually know why he is missing games before speculating on him being an injury risk.

No worries man. Hes had two injuries (last season and the current one, both lower body). I just meant, in reference to the person I was replying too, does there need to be a 3rd injury in a relatively short time frame to be considered injury prone. Being sarcastic of course.

I have no idea if he is or isn't, but if this second injury causes him to miss significant time again I'd be a little concerned. But that's just me. Of course he could go the rest of his career and not miss a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: crassbonanza

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
It only raises an eyebrow if you want to get a hyperbolic about it. There is nothing to even be slightly concerned about. It’s like you are reaching in a search for a problem and trying to create a narrative. At absolute best you are way over thinking it.

Yes, yes that's exactly what I'm doing. Don't worry, I'm sure his injuries coupled with some pre-draft concerns about this style of play are absolutely nothing to even bat an eye at and I'm just... as you said, searching for problems. You can calm down, I'm sure Turcotte will be just fine.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, Hughes and Kakko's struggles are well documented, same with Dach. All three players have a Kyle Clifford statline. How would this forum be discussing those players if they were here instead? Byram is down in juniors and not exactly ripping it up either. Cozens, Broberg, Zegras...no one is doing anything head and shoulders over anyone else at this point. Maybe Seider, but he was drafted 6, so hard to say if that's commensurate with expectations. If we're going to start second guessing Turcotte already, better start looking around.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No worries man. Hes had two injuries (last season and the current one, both lower body). I just meant, in reference to the person I was replying too, does there need to be a 3rd injury in a relatively short time frame to be considered injury prone. Being sarcastic of course.

I have no idea if he is or isn't, but if this second injury causes him to miss significant time again I'd be a little concerned. But that's just me. Of course he could go the rest of his career and not miss a game.

While I agree missing a significant chunk two seasons in a row is worrisome, the overly simplified response is: so far he hasn't.

He missed a couple games due to the flu, and he's missed 3 to lower body injury. He's expected to return this week, so it's not like he needs another surgery.

Keep in mind, he's had his bell rung a couple times this season, too, and he's kept going. So I think you're (understandably) conditioned to start preparing for the worst when it comes to Kings prospects. But it's too soon to start worrying.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/4 results:

London won 5-2, Phillips was scoreless and +2.
Spokane won 7-6 in OT, Parik stopped 42/48.

2/5 games:

Peterborough (Thomas) @ Kingston
Kitchener (Ingham) @ SSM

Reactions: jimmy1100

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The part that worries me about Turcotte is his development path. I’m not sold on the quality of the USHL/NTDP being at the same level as the CHL or the top pro leagues overseas. Then you combine that with the NCAA route where you see older players being given the minutes, plus the risk of a guy staying four years and going UFA.

That all has nothing to do with whether Turcotte is going to be worth the fifth overall. Most likely outcome is that he’s a solid NHL top sixer when he’s 24/25 yo. But it’s obvious to look at a guy like Dylan Cozens who is 6’3” 185lbs, playing big minutes in the WHL, scoring goals, played a big role on the WJC gold medal team and wonder if he wouldn’t have been the better pick with Dach off the board.

Reactions: Vino

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The part that worries me about Turcotte is his development path. I’m not sold on the quality of the USHL/NTDP being at the same level as the CHL or the top pro leagues overseas. Then you combine that with the NCAA route where you see older players being given the minutes, plus the risk of a guy staying four years and going UFA.

That all has nothing to do with whether Turcotte is going to be worth the fifth overall. Most likely outcome is that he’s a solid NHL top sixer when he’s 24/25 yo. But it’s obvious to look at a guy like Dylan Cozens who is 6’3” 185lbs, playing big minutes in the WHL, scoring goals, played a big role on the WJC gold medal team and wonder if he wouldn’t have been the better pick with Dach off the board.

Nothing wrong with the NCAA development path, the rookie of the year this season is going to be an NCAA player, two guys who correctly spent two years at their programs and jumped seamlessly into NHL stardom.

Nothing wrong with having to earn ice time vs more mature and stronger competition as opposed to dominating against 16-19 year olds.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There were posters who were concerned with taking Turcotte since he had sustained an injury and plays a game that may be more susceptible to further injuries.

I'm not arguing that they were right, but it was said heading in to the draft.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The writing is on the wall. If Caufield bails, Turcotte will too. I'm pretty confident both will happen. Turcotte likely plays in the AHL next season at 19 unless he blows the Kings away at camp. Spots will be open. The kid wants to play professionally ASAP. He's made that clear in previous statements. I'd be surprised if he stayed in college.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Caufield leaving would also be a mistake, but as a one-trick pony it makes a bit more sense I guess. He will score goals next year whether it’s in Montreal or Laval and maybe that’s all they care about, but both him Turcotte would leave this level not coming close to being dominant all-around players, and for Turcotte especially that’s bad news. Hoping this isn’t another Middlestadt.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
There were posters who were concerned with taking Turcotte since he had sustained an injury and plays a game that may be more susceptible to further injuries.

I'm not arguing that they were right, but it was said heading in to the draft.

It’s way to early to write him off, he has been unimpressive this season but he’s 18 playing against guys who are mostly 20+, the jump from the USHL to the NCAA for a player like him playing the style the Kings want him to play is a big one. It’s way easier for a guy like Caufield who is on the ice to do one-thing as opposed to Turcotte who is expected to do more. The struggles in the defensive zone, along the boards and in the dot will all improve next season with an extra year of age and (hopefully) an improvement of strength. Having watched NCAA hockey closely for about 18 years now I can say the improvement between Freshman-Sophomore is significantly bigger than it is from any other year, especially for blue chip elite prospects like Turcotte. Just need to be patient. If he’s struggling again next year then maybe we can be a little concerned.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It’s way to early to write him off, he has been unimpressive this season but he’s 18 playing against guys who are mostly 20+, the jump from the USHL to the NCAA for a player like him playing the style the Kings want him to play is a big one. It’s way easier for a guy like Caufield who is on the ice to do one-thing as opposed to Turcotte who is expected to do more. The struggles in the defensive zone, along the boards and in the dot will all improve next season with an extra year of age and (hopefully) an improvement of strength. Having watched NCAA hockey closely for about 18 years now I can say the improvement between Freshman-Sophomore is significantly bigger than it is from any other year, especially for blue chip elite prospects like Turcotte. Just need to be patient. If he’s struggling again next year then maybe we can be a little concerned.

Really good example of this is a guy he's compared to in Toews. Even down to having a highly-regarded winger on his side (Oshie)!

Freshman year, 22g-17a-39 p in 42 games... .93ppg
Sophomore year, 18g-28a-46p in 34 games... 1.35 PPG

Turcotte so far--6g 11a, 17p in 21 games... .81 ppg. Not bad for a bust.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I'm not saying he was a bad pick and I've been adamant he should stay in college from the start unless he absolutely blew the doors off this year. Was just saying that it seemed like some were saying nobody brought up injury issues prior to the pick when, in fact, several posters were worried about it and it was primarily fueled by Vilardi's situation.

You're the biggest NCAA supporter on this board so I know and respect your thoughts regarding it. I'm all about him staying another year because he'll get stronger with so much more practice and weight room time than he'll get in Ontario.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
It don't matter how Turcotte gets to the big show all I care about is how he does when he gets here and plays full time. This team is going to suck for a few more years he can take as long as he needs to be the best player he can be. If he comes into camp and blows the door down even better. If he goes back for another year I'm happy with that too. With another high pick this year it looks really promising moving forward.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
While I agree missing a significant chunk two seasons in a row is worrisome, the overly simplified response is: so far he hasn't.

He missed a couple games due to the flu, and he's missed 3 to lower body injury. He's expected to return this week, so it's not like he needs another surgery.

Keep in mind, he's had his bell rung a couple times this season, too, and he's kept going. So I think you're (understandably) conditioned to start preparing for the worst when it comes to Kings prospects. But it's too soon to start worrying.

You're right and it does look like he's set to return this week so that's definitely great news.

Mar 12, 2009
I thought Kitchener was out of the game early. When Ingham gives up a goal, bad or good, he seems to be able to center himself. This was another game we didn't play great overall, but Ingham kept the team in enough that they could overcome another deficit. It's notable for me because these are the types of games Ingham has won for us, that we ended up losing every time with goalies of previous seasons. As a Leaf fan, the Campbell trade makes me a little sad as a Kitchener Ranger fan as it means Ingam is all but gone next season for Kitchener (ie. not returning as an OA like a few fans predicted earlier).

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

This is why I want him in Ontario

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/5 results:

Peterborough lost 4-3, Thomas had 2 Goals(18) and -1.
Kitchener won 5-4, Ingham stopped 39/43.

2/6 games:

Owen Sound (Dudas) @ Niagara
North Bay @ Peterborough (Thomas)
Hamilton (Kaliyev) @ Windsor

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Even though Turcotte is practicing fully, he did not travel with the team, and will not play this weekend.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/6 results:

Owen Sound won 11-1, Dudas had 2 Goals(14), 2 Assists(29) and +5.
Peterborough won 8-3, Thomas had a Goal(19), an Assist(49) and +4. (100th Goal)
Hamilton won 3-1, Kaliyev was scoreless and even.

2/7 games:

Ottawa @ Hamilton (Kaliyev)
Mississauga @ Kitchner (Ingham)
Saginaw @ London (Phillips)
Moncton (Spence) @ Blainville-Boisbriand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad