Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Since it’s okay to nitpick Turcottes season, there are some negatives surrounding Kaliyev.

His numbers seem down from his normal ridiculous pace, maybe because his #1C is injured and he’s the only good player on a bad team. And that bad team didn’t trade him which makes it seem like they think he’s coming back for next year. Given the lack of quality on the Kings, if this guy can make it through a full camp next season and scores 5+ goals, you have few good reasons to not give him a spot.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's definitely a challenge for Kaliyev. Granted, they have an import who is tearing it up a bit, but the team definitely misses Jan Jenik.

That said, he is trying to round out his game, which this is a good time to start. His numbers suffer, but hopefully it prepares him for the next level that much sooner.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Since it’s okay to nitpick Turcottes season, there are some negatives surrounding Kaliyev.

His numbers seem down from his normal ridiculous pace, maybe because his #1C is injured and he’s the only good player on a bad team. And that bad team didn’t trade him which makes it seem like they think he’s coming back for next year. Given the lack of quality on the Kings, if this guy can make it through a full camp next season and scores 5+ goals, you have few good reasons to not give him a spot.

Sure you do.

He's 19 and he still has growing to do as a player, and he is not eligible to play in the AHL.

Just makes zero sense to waste an insanely valuable ELC year on a guy learning on the job on a team that is going to be horrific next season. So now if he breaks out at 21 you are forced to pay him a decent size contract. Which scenario is better for the long-term prospects of the Kings when handling Kaliyev's 3 years on an ELC

19 yo- Horrible team, likely overmatched player
20 yo- Shows progress in NHL with perhaps a short stint in AHL
21 yo- Breaks out on a possible playoff team

20 yo- Shows progress in NHL with perhaps a short stint to start in AHL
22 yo- top 6 player on a playoff team, perhaps one that could go somewhere while making 925k

We need to be patient here, everyone wants to rush these kids onto a Kings team that is going to be dog crap next season and burn valuable ELC years, I just don't get it.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Sure you do.

We need to be patient here, everyone wants to rush these kids onto a Kings team that is going to be dog crap next season and burn valuable ELC years, I just don't get it.

Because everyone's bored, I guess.

Learn a new hobby instead, I would advise; perhaps woodworking or crocheting.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

People have been calling him a product of "X" linemate since last year, but he does the same thing regardless of linemate.

Between the shit team, the easy focus, and his emphasis on rounded play, I'm not worried at all about Artie.

Mar 12, 2009
In what appears to be a drubbing, Ingham was great early on and never stopped being great even when the Rangers were up comfortably. He was top notch early made 3 highlight-reel saves by my eye, and I may have missed a couple. For a guy his size, he moves cross crease well. Once he commits tho, he is all in sometimes. So learning to read plays and be more conservative at the next level may be needed...but I love watching him. Best goalie we have had since John Gibson (not comparing him to Gibson as a prospect, just been a while since we had a great tender).

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
In what appears to be a drubbing, Ingham was great early on and never stopped being great even when the Rangers were up comfortably. He was top notch early made 3 highlight-reel saves by my eye, and I may have missed a couple. For a guy his size, he moves cross crease well. Once he commits tho, he is all in sometimes. So learning to read plays and be more conservative at the next level may be needed...but I love watching him. Best goalie we have had since John Gibson (not comparing him to Gibson as a prospect, just been a while since we had a great tender).

Hey, we've known a guy like that :sarcasm:

Reactions: King'sPawn

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/7 results:

Hamilton lost 5-4 in OT, Kaliyev had an Assist(42) and +1.
Kitchener won 7-1, Ingham stopped 39/40.
London won 7-3, Phillips was scoreless and +3.
Moncton won 4-0, Spence had an Assist(32) and +3.

2/8 games:

Flint @ Hamilton (Kaliyev)
Ottawa @ Peterborough (Thomas)
Owen Sound (Dudas) @ Erie
Moncton (Spence) @ Shawinigan
Tri-City @ Spokane (Parik)

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Sure you do.

He's 19 and he still has growing to do as a player, and he is not eligible to play in the AHL.

Just makes zero sense to waste an insanely valuable ELC year on a guy learning on the job on a team that is going to be horrific next season. So now if he breaks out at 21 you are forced to pay him a decent size contract. Which scenario is better for the long-term prospects of the Kings when handling Kaliyev's 3 years on an ELC

22 yo- top 6 player on a playoff team, perhaps one that could go somewhere while making 925k

I would seriously argue that the first scenario is much better than the second as far as contracts go.

In the first scenario he is signing his second contract just as he is breaking out on a potential playoff team. He has not fully broken out yet and the Kings will have the opportunity to sign him to a much more reasonable contract(Look at the Pastrnak contract).

In the second scenario he is a top 6 player on a playoff team, sure he is only making $925 for that playoff season, but he will be signing for a much higher deal because he has already broken out on a successful team.

I think around the league GM's are recognizing that getting to the second contract quicker is more valuable than pushing back the ELC.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Sure you do.

FYI he's in his 18 year old season and he's 18 right now.

I agree with your points.

19 years old- Tries to make the Kings, but the reality is his game is not up to pace quite yet to play against men at the NHL level. Gets a deep look in camp, but will have to have a huge camp to be considered. Goes back to the OHL for the year. Possibly joins the Reign at the ends of his season.
20 years old- Starts and possibly plays most of the season in the AHL (like Vilardi this year), comes up after the deadline to see if he can handle the pace.
21 years old- Penciled into the Kings roster, it's his spot to lose.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Wisconsin as a team defends about as well as the Maginot Line, their season will be coming to an end the first weekend of the Big Ten tournament. So if the Kings do want to bring in Turcotte (still think it would be a massive mistake) he could be in Ontario or LA by the second week in March.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/8 results:

Hamilton lost 7-3, Kaliyev had a Goal(37) and -1.
Peterborough won 4-1, Thomas was scoreless and even.
Owen Sound won 4-3, Dudas was scoreless and even.
Moncton won 4-2, Spence was scoreless and even.
Spokane won 6-0, Parik DNP.

2/9 games:

Kitchener (Ingham) @ Sarnia
Moncton (Spence) @ Quebec
Everett @ Spokane (Parik)

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
2/8 results:

Hamilton lost 7-3, Kaliyev had a Goal(37) and -1.
Peterborough won 4-1, Thomas was scoreless and even.
Owen Sound won 4-3, Dudas was scoreless and even.
Moncton won 4-2, Spence was scoreless and even.
Spokane won 6-0, Parik DNP.

2/9 games:

Kitchener (Ingham) @ Sarnia
Moncton (Spence) @ Quebec
Everett @ Spokane (Parik)

Kaliyev had 2, didn't he?

Reactions: KopitarFAN

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
I understand the patience argument. I just don't see the evidence for it. Leaving top prospects in the CHL over playing a top 6 role in the NHL "for development purposes" seems so ridiculous to me... There are so many examples of good NHL players who didn't at all take this development path of staying multiple years in lower levels. This patience approach is likely damaging to the development of prospects and I can't think of very many examples of it working, but if someone has the evidence to support it I'm all ears.

Kaliyev should be attached to Kopitar wing. Learning how to be effective in the NHL, with a future HOFer teaching him how to do things the right way and allowing him to play off the puck like he's amazingly good at already.

Scott Wheeler called him "the best player outside of the NHL in the offensive zone". If you are that caliber of player you aren't two years away from the NHL. And you aren't developing quicker on a CHL team then you are getting likely top line and 1st PP minutes in the NHL...

This patience approach just seems like an incredibly simple concept that gets applied to everyone without much thought to the individual prospects or the Kings complete lack of talent. (Meaning these prospects will actually play big roles on our team and not be relegated to bottom 6 roles)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I understand the patience argument. I just don't see the evidence for it. Leaving top prospects in the CHL over playing a top 6 role in the NHL "for development purposes" seems so ridiculous to me... There are so many examples of good NHL players who didn't at all take this development path of staying multiple years in lower levels. This patience approach is likely damaging to the development of prospects and I can't think of very many examples of it working, but if someone has the evidence to support it I'm all ears.

Kaliyev should be attached to Kopitar wing. Learning how to be effective in the NHL, with a future HOFer teaching him how to do things the right way and allowing him to play off the puck like he's amazingly good at already.

Scott Wheeler called him "the best player outside of the NHL in the offensive zone". If you are that caliber of player you aren't two years away from the NHL. And you aren't developing quicker on a CHL team then you are getting likely top line and 1st PP minutes in the NHL...

This patience approach just seems like an incredibly simple concept that gets applied to everyone without much thought to the individual prospects or the Kings complete lack of talent. (Meaning these prospects will actually play big roles on our team and not be relegated to bottom 6 roles)

I mentioned this in the Turcotte thread that I think it wouldn't hurt him to go another year in college, but I don't have that same line of thought with Kaliyev. He's clearly too good for the OHL and its not going to do him any good spending another season there. I think that Kaliyev should be on the team next year, but that doesn't mean I believe he should stay for the whole season. They could probably do something similar to what they're doing with Bjornfot and give him a couple games early on in the season and see how he does and reacts. Now if he comes in and blows the doors off then keep him up and if not then send him back and he can see what he needs to work on.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
2/11 results:

Kitchener won 3-1, Ingham stopped 37/38.
London lost 3-1, Phillips was scoreless and -1.

2/12 games:

Hamilton (Kaliyev) @ Owen Sound (Dudas)
Saint John @ Moncton (Spence)
Moose Jaw @ Spokane (Parik)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad