Kings fire John Stevens, assistant Don Nachbaur; Desjardins hired as interim

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
They won 2 of their last 3 games. Quick is out. I don't get it.
Philadelphia game loss sealed Steven's job with Kings.The team was awful and should be winning games they lost.Lots of internal stuff I believe was going on with players vs coach.Blake had to intervene at one point and have a close door meaning with players.

Reactions: kingsfan28

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
He rolls lines 1,2,3,4 with such ease I used to pvr games so I could fast forward the 4th line shift...
oh thank f*** i won't have to watch kopitar's corpse flopping around for the last 5 minutes of every game as stevens grinds him into a pulp

kings are great when they roll 4 lines, stevens rolled 2 with an occasional 3rd line showing

lawrence

May 19, 2012
am I the only one that thinks Willie is a fine coach? the players seem to like him. Canucks struggles cannot be blamed on Willie D.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
oh thank **** i won't have to watch kopitar's corpse flopping around for the last 5 minutes of every game as stevens grinds him into a pulp

kings are great when they roll 4 lines, stevens rolled 2 with an occasional 3rd line showing

Yup.

I'm all for conserving energy for the big guys so they can do more. Less death to superstars in the last 10 minutes of games. less Doughty conserving energy by coasting. Less Kopitar getting stuck behind our net playing #1 d-man minutes.

Also keeps the lesser lines engaged.

In general yeah it sounds maddening to just cycle 1-2-3-4 but after what's been going on here I'm happy with that alternative. Kopitar Doughty and Quick saved Stevens' job last year but at great expense.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
oh thank **** i won't have to watch kopitar's corpse flopping around for the last 5 minutes of every game as stevens grinds him into a pulp

haha, wait until you see the 4th line is taking the offensive zone face off when the team is down by a goal with 30 sec left :popcorn:

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
With Sturm on their eye for next season, does anyone else think that Kings didn't want to put him straight to head coach with no coaching experience from NA? And then, Desjardins was one of the coaches who was ready to accept this kind of situation, while coaches like Vigneault were probably asking multi-year contract.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Willie only rolled 4 lines in the first season (when the Canucks still had depth); once he was forced to actually manage his bench during the playoffs vs Calgary and subsequent seasons due to reductions in roster depth, he was completely lost.

He also made roster decisions that made zero sense to anyone like breaking up the Sedins and Vrbata 3/4 into the first season out of the blue despite being fantastic together, refusing to change the 2nd unit PP personnel in the first season despite only scoring 3 PP goals all year, using AHLer Megna with the Sedins because they had success the first time he tried it, Tryamkin went back to the KHL because he kept trying to make him play a style he didn't want to play (like Pronger), etc.

Every coach plays guys he likes probably more than he should (e.g. Vigneault with Glass, Rome), but WD took it to a whole other level.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Willy D really? Guy was a disaster here and had no tactical knowledge.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Next step might be moving out some "comfortable" players.
Brown coming back has helped, he kind of settles things down. Guess this is the intangibles people talk about related to his contract. The Kings still f'd him over by taking away the C.

This move is all about Sturm, and him taking over as head coach.

Still would not bother me a lot if they tanked this year and got a top 3 pick. Don't be that middling team.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With Sturm on their eye for next season, does anyone else think that Kings didn't want to put him straight to head coach with no coaching experience from NA? And then, Desjardins was one of the coaches who was ready to accept this kind of situation, while coaches like Vigneault were probably asking multi-year contract.

This is exactly it and they said that almost verbatim re Sturm, as well as for guys like Vigneault who wanted a commitment.

"Sturm played 938 NHL games for six NHL teams, including 17 games for the Kings during the 2010-11 season, and retired as a player after playing the 2012-13 season in his native Germany. Sturm is considered a rising star in the coaching fraternity and is currently coaching Germany’s team in the Deutschland Cup, which means it will be a few days before he arrives in Los Angeles to take up his duties.
Many people believe Sturm, 40, has the qualities to be an NHL head coach but that he needed to reintegrate himself after a six-year absence. This will give him an opportunity to familiarize himself with the league and gives the Kings a chance to assess his readiness to potentially become a head coach in the not-too-distant future."

"Blake previously interviewed Desjardins in the summer of 2017 for an assistant coaching position and came away with a positive overall impression. There are two qualified ex-NHL coaches (Alain Vigneault and Dave Tippett) with deep resumes currently on the sideline but the belief was that neither of them would come in without a long-term commitment, something which the Kings were not prepared to offer anyone at this point."

Kind of brilliant in a roundabout way--remove the players' excuses with Stevens; add in a rah rah emotional guy with no real ties in Willie D: if he does great, great, if he doesn't, whatever; and prep Marco Sturm without immediately throwing him into the fire.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Wow, can't believe that Willie found another coaching job in the NHL.

Fans bitch and moan about coaches all the time in pretty much every city in regards to to player usage and stuff like that, and often you can't take that very seriously, but Willie is something else entirely. He's the most straight up incompetent coach I've ever seen at the NHL level. He is completely clueless about the game, he's just panicking behind the bench and has no idea what's going on on the ice (he doesn't know the words "bench management" or "adjustments"), and is dumb as a sack of hammers. His press conferences are like Trump press conferences; it's like a student forgot he has an oral presentation and is just nervously and desperately trying to wing it (and doing an absolutely terrible job at it).

Seems like a good guy and he can get vets play for him, at least for a while (before the players realize that this guy is a simpleton). Death sentence for younger players though. Overall by far the worst coach I've ever seen at the NHL level. Carlyle is a genius compared to this guy.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
People give WD a hard time, but I don't think anyone knows exactly what kind of a coach he could be with a half decent squad.

And we're not going to find out now.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wow, can't believe that Willie found another coaching job in the NHL.

Fans ***** and moan about coaches all the time in pretty much every city in regards to to player usage and stuff like that, and often you can't take that very seriously, but Willie is something else entirely. He's the most straight up incompetent coach I've ever seen at the NHL level. He is completely clueless about the game, he's just panicking behind the bench and has no idea what's going on on the ice (he doesn't know the words "bench management" or "adjustments"), and is dumb as a sack of hammers. His press conferences are like Trump press conferences; it's like a student forgot he has an oral presentation and is just nervously and desperately trying to wing it (and doing an absolutely terrible job at it).

Seems like a good guy and he can get vets play for him, at least for a while (before the players realize that this guy is a simpleton). Death sentence for younger players though. Overall by far the worst coach I've ever seen at the NHL level. Carlyle is a genius compared to this guy.

It sounds like Sturm is there to be the analytics-informed tactician behind the scenes though.

If Willie D is good with vets, he's good with the Kings. It sounds like they're trying to insulate his clear 'weakness'.

People give WD a hard time, but I don't think anyone knows exactly what kind of a coach he could be with a half decent squad.

:rolleyes:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

My optimistic take was that he's good at getting the team prepped and players like him but once the game starts he's locked in and is extremely poor to outright incapable at processing adjustments or evaluating what's happening.

You're "I don't think anyone knows..." part isn't accurate because in 2014-15 the Canucks were a half decent squad, bouncing back from a Torts blow melt down the prior year and finishing with 101 points. We dropped to 75 points the following season because Benning shot his own foot off that summer.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My optimistic take was that he's good at getting the team prepped and players like him but once the game starts he's locked in and is extremely poor to outright incapable at processing adjustments or evaluating what's happening.

You're "I don't think anyone knows..." part isn't accurate because in 2014-15 the Canucks were a half decent squad, bouncing back from a Torts blow melt down the prior year and finishing with 101 points. We dropped to 75 points the following season because Benning shot his own foot off that summer.

I'd be good with that. Solves another Kings problem--sucking total ass in the first period.

I forget what their goal differential was by period but it was absurd. Last year they were far and away the worst 1st period team and best 3rd period team IIRC.

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
Maybe Bob Hartley (currently in the KHL with Omsk) as their next coach?

I think that he was the coach for Colorado when Blake won the Cup and he also coached Kovalchuk in the KHL so..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad