Kings fire John Stevens, assistant Don Nachbaur; Desjardins hired as interim

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Happy for Marco Sturm. Always liked that guy, and I think he could be a fantastic coach going forward.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Even though they beat us in the Finals, I wouldn't wish AV on LA.

I'm waiting for AV to coach the Devils.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You don't rebuild when your #1 c and d are in their prime and two of the top 10 players in the league.

The Kings roster is better than what we have seen so far and has underachieved a bit.

It doesn't help though that they haven't added a single high end young talent to the roster in over 5 years.

I was thinking the exact same thing reading that post. Like you just signed DD to an 8 yr extension. He would be pissed if LA decided that they were going to rebuild around him for the next 3-5 years - which is the duration of their 1Cs contract.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
haha, wait until you see the 4th line is taking the offensive zone face off when the team is down by a goal with 30 sec left :popcorn:

Sutter would send out King , Nolan and Lewis out there all the time in this exact situation:laugh:. 2 of the 3 aren't in the NHL anymore.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Really think the Kings are headed for a few long seasons. Desjardins is good in the interim but long-term they need a better option than him.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
do you mean on the same team, or hired by another team? Turk Gallant was an assistant in Montreal, and he worked out ok

He means on the same team (i.e. promoting from within). It was easy to predict that Stevens wouldn't last. Much was made about how Sutter's message got old after 5 years and how the team needed a new one, yet Blake's solution was to promote a voice that the team had been hearing for even longer than that (Stevens joined the team as an assistant in 2010, a year and a half before Sutter was hired). It was a bad rookie mistake, but at least Blake recognized and corrected it relatively quickly. Others might've stood by it longer, patiently waiting for results that would vindicate them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
so they made another coach the scapegoat

maybe the players just overachieved those cup years...

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
so they made another coach the scapegoat

maybe the players just overachieved those cup years...

Sutter lasted 5 1/2 seasons in LA, slightly longer than his stint with the Sharks. which is an eternity in coach years - especially with Sutter's style. I don't think you can hang the "coach killer" tag on the Kings.

Reactions: Faterson

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Canucks fans weren't kidding when they said that Desjardins would roll 4 lines and give some of the top players' ice time to bottom players. Kopitar, Brown and Carter all played 2.5 minutes less last night than on Saturday while Thompson and Lewis played 4 minutes more.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->