Kings Fan Coming in Peace with a Question

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
A thread like this will never fully stop being relevant. I have to add my contribution. I was born and raised in Columbus and graduated from Ohio State, though I've lived away from Columbus since 2001. I was the first in my family to attend college, and in my extended family aside from one aunt, only my generation have gone to college. But we grew up in the THICK of OSU fandom. My mother's parents had friends in Michigan and every year for a long time the friends would travel to whichever city and really make a big (fun) deal out of the game. Actually, those are great memories and there are lots of wonderful photos from those days.

That's a bit off track but the point is, it's not hard to understand why OSU is so big in town. For generations, it has been woven into the fabric of the larger community. I don't think that's so mysterious or necessarily a bad thing.

But it can be a shame, especially in this context. The Jackets deserve support at best, indifference at worst but certainly not belittlement. That organization has made inroads into the community, too.

And being a huge fan of both, no way will I not acknowledge the absolute obnoxiousness of "Buckeye Nation" (puke). It's much easier to identify with Jackets fans like those on this board who are much cooler. Even out of Columbus, it's hard to fraternize with ex-pat OSU fans.

And this is from a former Ohio State quarterback! Ok not really... punter :sarcasm:

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
I went to grad school at Ohio State and saw my first hockey game in 2007 thanks to Matt Wagner.

There'd no contraction. AFter all, when will Ohio State play the Blue Jackets. If I have to choose between Ohio State in the tournament and a regular CBJ game I'll watch OSU, because it's the more important game, There's no contradiction.

But there is obsession. That's not healthy.

Steeltown Jacket

FanFromPensTerritory
Aug 8, 2011
Central Ohio
Now this is a story all about how Steeltown Jacket's life got flip turned upside down
All I need is a minute if that's okay, I'll tell you how he became a fan of both OSU and CBJ

Up north there in Youngstown, born and raised, at the ice rink was where he spent most of his days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, playing ice hockey before and after school
When a couple of Goons, I think they played for the Blues
started making trouble whenever they would lose
He got in one little fight and his mom got a premonition
"You're gonna go to OSU in Columbus, and I'll pay the tuition"

He whistled for a cab but none were around
he said, oh yeah, that's cause I'm still in ****ing Youngstown
Everyone knows that cabs here are rare
So he bought a plane ticket and flew through the air!

He got his college education in an extra year or two
And that's why he now loves the OSU
He looked at their kingdom, and started to think
"I love the CBJ too, cause of my days at the rink."

Haha well done sir! :yo:

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
Man, this is one hell of a post mainly because you've described him practically to a T. When I first met him, I asked him if he liked the Indians, Browns, etc. and he said not really because they always lost. His favorite pro team was the Dallas Cowboys(not so much now since it's not 1994 anymore). He's still pretty bitter about the LeBron to Miami thing, but he very casually likes the Cavs. He's more of a "Lakers" fan and by that I mean he's an extremely casual Lakers fan; actually kind of insecure about it. I remember my other buddy that lives with us made fun of him; called him a fake Lakers fan since he can only name like 3 guys on the team and isn't from LA and he went off for like 10 minutes. It was pretty ****ing hysterical.

Also, my friends and I always make fun of how obsessed he is with the Buckeyes. But to add on to your point in your post, he did leave Ohio at 18 to join the Army and now goes to school here in Long Beach. I don't know, maybe if he had stayed in Ohio, things would be different or maybe things would be worse.

p.s. Back to that Skyline Chili place. What is with those massive plates of, is it fries or pasta that is just buried in shredded cheese? Whatever it is, my mind was blown when I first saw the commercial watching the game last night.

Skyline Chili is what's called "Cincinnati chili" which is a bean less chili that has a more sweet flavor. You can put it on spaghetti (w/cheese makes it a 3 way) or put it on fries. Very delicious, if you ever make it to Ohio, give it a try.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
There are a few ******** like your roommate there (and let's not kid ourselves, there are a probably the same percentage of Blue Jackets fans who have the same ridiculous feelings towards OSU as your roommate does towards the Jackets) but they're far outweighed by people who are either ambivalent towards the Jackets or like both teams.

Personally, I like both. Although I like the Blue Jackets a lot more.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Skyline Chili is what's called "Cincinnati chili" which is a bean less chili that has a more sweet flavor. You can put it on spaghetti (w/cheese makes it a 3 way) or put it on fries. Very delicious, if you ever make it to Ohio, give it a try.

You can also order the canned version (still very good, if you make it as mentioned by Zach) by mail, but it's quite spendy.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
You can also order the canned version (still very good, if you make it as mentioned by Zach) by mail, but it's quite spendy.

Yeah, the cans and the microwave dinner versions are very expensive, which is funny...the actual sit down restaurant is fairly cheap for the amount of food you get. I hate having this much knowledge of the place, but I worked there for a while.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I'll chime in here and add that I have no idea why people like Skyline. Bleah. ;)

My wife really doesn't like it either. Something about cinnamon in chili just turns her off.

For a change of pace, I will grab a couple of the chili cheese dogs, but only at the restaurants or on free food night.

Quite inexpensive at the restaurants, but to pricey at the arena.

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
My wife really doesn't like it either. Something about cinnamon in chili just turns her off.

For a change of pace, I will grab a couple of the chili cheese dogs, but only at the restaurants or on free food night.

Quite inexpensive at the restaurants, but to pricey at the arena.

If you get the chili cheese fries at NWA, it's probably the most amount of food for the lowest price. I've gotten them a few times when I'm really hungry there.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
It's the texture of the Skyline chili for me. Really "loose" if you know what I mean. Can't get past the visual on that one.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Come on guys..

Who doesn't love the Buckeyes, Skyline chili & the Blue Jackets? From NW Ohio, accepted to ttun, OSU & Miami, picked Columbus because of the campus, Columbus and the affordability, never regretted it. Skyline mixes some of my favorite things, the Jackets have been our team when they replaced the Chill. Go Bucks!! Lets GO Jackets!!

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
Has anybody shown the OP the now-famous Keith B. Whittington (the original, not the HF user)'s incident about the Dispatch's coverage of the CBJ during the summer of 2008?

...and the ensuing assault from CBJ fans basically stomping him into the ground for being the stereotypical narcissistic OSU fan?

Also, some fans responded to a story about the then soon-to-be unveiled CBJ thirds saying they should be red in honor of Ohio State.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
Quoting the OP to hopefully get his attention...

Hey there Blue Jackets fans, I come here to your side of HF Boards with a question about the what it's like to be a Jackets fan in Columbus.

Basically, I live with a guy originally from Columbus who is not a hockey fan at all. He's in fact one of those obsessive Ohio State
football fans. On Tuesday, he was watching the Kings/Stars game with me and the Jackets came up in conversation. I told him how they were doing and mentioned that I hoped that they made the playoffs because you guys have been suffering long enough.

He then proceeds to say that he doesn't feel sorry for you guys because anybody that follows the Jackets instead of Ohio State is an idiot; that no one is a "die-hard" Jackets fan. He then proceeded to make the comparison that being an a Buckeyes fan is like dating Kate Upton while being a dedicated Jackets fan would be like dating some grubby chump instead.

Now I understand that in C-Bus, the Buckeye, are and forever will be number 1, but is he wrong? How is the attitude about the team changing in the city since it seems you guys are turning the corner and are looking like a force to be reckoned with in the years to come. Is this attitude typical of yoru average Columbus sports fan.

...here's the ultimate conceited OSU fan belittling the CBJ moment. This is the Keith B. Whittington Incident:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...eed-to-work-through-their-Blue-?urn=nhl,96370

Not all Buckeye fans are bad. Not all CBJ fans are bad. But there are no doubt some bad CBJ fans just as there are hordes of OSU fans. I'm a fan of both, but the CBJ will always come first.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The best way to eat Skyline Chili can be had at Nationwide Arena, but NOT AVAILABLE at their restaurants. Skyline Chili Cheese NACHOS! yum

Although I don't like them, they really SHOULD have White Castle sliders at the Arena.

AlienLanes82

Aug 18, 2006
I spent 7 years at OSU. (Only 4 as an undergrad!). I like football. As an undergrad, I went to OSU games. Though from a northern land where Michigan was the most frequent TV team of my youth (and who can resist those snazzy Maize and Blue unis, no?), I got into the spirit and cheered for the Bucks. (Even back then, though, a favorite pasttime of 21-year-old AlienLanes82 was dressing all in black, adorned with black nail polish and foot-long hair, and walking down High Street on Fall Saturday mornings counting how many sneers and rude comments I would get).

Eight years later, I cannot stand the OSU Buckeyes. What drives me up the wall is that I perceive Columbus as an exciting, dynamic, modern, cultured city, with a lot of intelligent people, great events and stores, art, music, sports, etc.. Yet, the most important thing to many people continues to be the bloody OSU Buckeyes, and so the OSU Buckeyes have to take precedence over anything else cool that is going on. It keeps us a one-horse town, in perception, if not reality. I understand why rural states and small towns adore their college football teams - the Oklahoma Sooners are probably the biggest thing in Oklahoma. But I cannot think of a city as large, modern, and with-it as Columbus, that continues to obsess about college football to the exclusion of all else. It drives me nuts!

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I spent 7 years at OSU. (Only 4 as an undergrad!). I like football. As an undergrad, I went to OSU games. Though from a northern land where Michigan was the most frequent TV team of my youth (and who can resist those snazzy Maize and Blue unis, no?), I got into the spirit and cheered for the Bucks. (Even back then, though, a favorite pasttime of 21-year-old AlienLanes82 was dressing all in black, adorned with black nail polish and foot-long hair, and walking down High Street on Fall Saturday mornings counting how many sneers and rude comments I would get).

Eight years later, I cannot stand the OSU Buckeyes. What drives me up the wall is that I perceive Columbus as an exciting, dynamic, modern, cultured city, with a lot of intelligent people, great events and stores, art, music, sports, etc.. Yet, the most important thing to many people continues to be the bloody OSU Buckeyes, and so the OSU Buckeyes have to take precedence over anything else cool that is going on. It keeps us a one-horse town, in perception, if not reality. I understand why rural states and small towns adore their college football teams - the Oklahoma Sooners are probably the biggest thing in Oklahoma. But I cannot think of a city as large, modern, and with-it as Columbus, that continues to obsess about college football to the exclusion of all else. It drives me nuts!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad