Kings Fan Coming in Peace with a Question

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I would, but he'd just ignore me since he has no idea who Jared Boll is.

Print this off and give it to him.

OSU-LSU07-2.jpg

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Your friend is an idiot.

I wish this board had a like button for posts so I could like this a million times. His attitude is one of ignorance. Ohio State elitists are one of the things I hate more than anything. I don't follow Ohio State football because of them. I did not attend school there so I have no vested interest in why the city treats them like gods.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
I wish this board had a like button for posts so I could like this a million times. His attitude is one of ignorance. Ohio State elitists are one of the things I hate more than anything. I don't follow Ohio State football because of them. I did not attend school there so I have no vested interest in why the city treats them like gods.

He's a good guy overall, but yeah he's a bit of a dolt when it comes to this subject I guess. Like I said in one of my previous posts, he's one of those All-American, mid-western, "Football is a man's sport" type guys.

I remember when I first met him, that it kinda blew his mind that:

a. I was primarily a hockey fan
b. I was a non-white guy who's favorite sport was hockey. (although this point applies to anyone I meet, really)

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
There are morons in Southern California that would say something similar about the Kings and Ducks - that all that matter is the Lakers or Dodgers.

The popularity of Ohio State football is incredible in Columbus. The only thing in SoCal that might be comparable is the Lakers in the playoffs.

The Jackets obviously don't have that type of popularity. They get ignored in Columbus by some.

I flew in to Columbus last summer to attend a funeral in the Dayton area and stopped at a sporting good store on the way there, hoping to pick up some Jackets and Buckeye t-shirts, and there was barely anything Jackets related at all. Most all OSU stuff and a small amount of Reds merchandise.

When the Jackets start winning more consistently, they'll get more recognition within Columbus. But that doesn't mean there aren't fans. Attendance was considerably higher the first five seasons. The support was there in the beginning, fans just got tired of paying to see the team lose.

I was surprised by how little attention the Kings got winning the Stanley Cup in SoCal. And the local news has to cover Kobe stubbing his toe over the Kings, just like some people in Columbus care more about what Braxton Miller had for breakfast than what the Jackets are doing. :shakehead

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
There are morons in Southern California that would say something similar about the Kings and Ducks - that all that matter is the Lakers or Dodgers.

The popularity of Ohio State football is incredible in Columbus. The only thing in SoCal that might be comparable is the Lakers in the playoffs.

The Jackets obviously don't have that type of popularity. They get ignored in Columbus by some.

I flew in to Columbus last summer to attend a funeral in the Dayton area and stopped at a sporting good store on the way there, hoping to pick up some Jackets and Buckeye t-shirts, and there was barely anything Jackets related at all. Most all OSU stuff and a small amount of Reds merchandise.

When the Jackets start winning more consistently, they'll get more recognition within Columbus. But that doesn't mean there aren't fans. Attendance was considerably higher the first five seasons. The support was there in the beginning, fans just got tired of paying to see the team lose.

I was surprised by how little attention the Kings got winning the Stanley Cup in SoCal. And the local news has to cover Kobe stubbing his toe over the Kings, just like some people in Columbus care more about what Braxton Miller had for breakfast than what the Jackets are doing. :shakehead

It's insane. The local media's constant fellating of the Lakers has actually helped in souring my overall distaste with the NBA (the on-court product helps that too). The only thing I ask is for a little respect and recognition. I guess that's too much to ask.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
It's insane. The local media's constant fellating of the Lakers has actually helped in souring my overall distaste with the NBA (the on-court product helps that too). The only thing I ask is for a little respect and recognition. I guess that's too much to ask.

...and a new candle every now and then?

Steeltown Jacket

FanFromPensTerritory
Aug 8, 2011
Central Ohio
I was born and raised in Youngstown, so I was exposed to the Penguins from the time I was born. I experienced their "glory" years in the early 90s with Mario. I watched but never was a fan. Never received any CBJ games on TV due to dumb TV blackout rules; still don't to this day in Youngstown.

I moved to Columbus in 2004 to attend OSU and I've been here ever since. When I saw my first CBJ game on TV in 2005 or early 2006, I felt attached. Hard to explain, but I felt an immediate attraction to the franchise. Way more than I ever felt with the Pens.

If the CBJ had been perennial playoff contenders since the inception, I feel this would be a different story. But alas, it is what it is. As a HUGE fan of both OSU and the CBJ, I feel myself "siding" with the CBJ in terms of amount of media coverage. Everywhere you turn, look, or read, OSU football or basketball is in your face about the previous opponent or the next game. With the CBJ, there are limited resources devoted to covering hockey in our great city. I guess with the overload of OSU coverage, I always find myself trying to read as much as I can about the Blue Jackets, which is always hard to do.

Overall, I guess the "average" fan in Columbus is a diehard OSU fan and casual CBJ fan by default (aka waiting for more to come). The 2 can definitely co-exist, which is proven by many on this board. In terms of "competition", I go to more CBJ games than OSU basketball games in the winter. Actually, if my financial situation steadies the course, I will be investing in CBJ season tickets; which is a no-brainer decision for me "if" I has to chose between the CBJ and OSU.

Sorry for the long rant yins.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I was born and raised in Youngstown, so I was exposed to the Penguins from the time I was born. I experienced their "glory" years in the early 90s with Mario. I watched but never was a fan. Never received any CBJ games on TV due to dumb TV blackout rules; still don't to this day in Youngstown.

I moved to Columbus in 2004 to attend OSU and I've been here ever since. When I saw my first CBJ game on TV in 2005 or early 2006, I felt attached. Hard to explain, but I felt an immediate attraction to the franchise. Way more than I ever felt with the Pens.

If the CBJ had been perennial playoff contenders since the inception, I feel this would be a different story. But alas, it is what it is. As a HUGE fan of both OSU and the CBJ, I feel myself "siding" with the CBJ in terms of amount of media coverage. Everywhere you turn, look, or read, OSU football or basketball is in your face about the previous opponent or the next game. With the CBJ, there are limited resources devoted to covering hockey in our great city. I guess with the overload of OSU coverage, I always find myself trying to read as much as I can about the Blue Jackets, which is always hard to do.

Overall, I guess the "average" fan in Columbus is a diehard OSU fan and casual CBJ fan by default (aka waiting for more to come). The 2 can definitely co-exist, which is proven by many on this board. In terms of "competition", I go to more CBJ games than OSU basketball games in the winter. Actually, if my financial situation steadies the course, I will be investing in CBJ season tickets; which is a no-brainer decision for me "if" I has to chose between the CBJ and OSU.

Solid post, didn't feel like a rant at all. I can relate to being more drawn to a struggling team ... trust me, when the wins and playoff runs start piling up, the years of suffering are completely worth it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When my other buddies and I were watching the NCAA championship game on Monday, he went on a bit of a rant on the other Big 10 schools. The funniest one to me was when he was making fun of Purdue because their mascot was a train. I wanted to answer back that the Buckeyes are named after a plant. I didn't though because I didn't want to piss him off.

There is a whole lot of failure going on with your friend. Purdue's mascot is a boilermaker which is an alcohol drink that the paid football players used to drink. They were railroad workers at the turn of the century hence the train that pulls out with their mascot Purdue Pete a giant railroad worker that carries a hammer. Anyway just think this guy likes to hate on things. Some of that legend is disputed, but it is essentially a nickname because their sports teams looked like huge jacked railroad workers.

The Jackets have a solid following especially considering they haven't given their fans much to be happy about all that often. Hockey will take off in Columbus when they get a little better, that is something they share with a lot of markets.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Never set a foot in Columbus, or outside NY airport actually but been a fan since inagural season. It's been a curse but always hoping for better times.
Back in the days when Radio feed in the night was the only option to follow the Jackets they always let Buckeyes pre game show end before they let any stream of the Jacket games on. So I hated the Buckeyes.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
If the Jackets win they will come. Let me use my firehouse as a microcosm of the city. Every firemen there is a Buckeye fan. Any time there is an OSU football or basketball game the big screen tv's (fear not tax payers we buy the tv's not the city) in the living area, and dining area are tuned to the game. If you want to watch a Jackets game you usually watch in your bedroom.

That all changed when the Jackets started winning and clawed back into the play-off race. There haven't been many conflicts with OSU, but now at least one of the big screen tv's is tuned to the Jackets game, and a good number of the guys are watching. Even when the Bucks were playing in the basketball tourney, much talk was devoted to how the Jackets were doing.

Like has been said, it is easy to be a Buckeye fan because of their constant success. Not so easy to be a CBJ fan because of their history of futility. But from what I see from my die hard Buckeye buddies is renewed interest in the CBJ since they have been playing better.

Yea, they are fair weather fans, but name for me one team that does not have those. People will find it easy to hate on a team when they are down, but as soon as they start winning they suddenly have been fans for life.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010

Now this is a story all about how Steeltown Jacket's life got flip turned upside down
All I need is a minute if that's okay, I'll tell you how he became a fan of both OSU and CBJ

Up north there in Youngstown, born and raised, at the ice rink was where he spent most of his days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, playing ice hockey before and after school
When a couple of Goons, I think they played for the Blues
started making trouble whenever they would lose
He got in one little fight and his mom got a premonition
"You're gonna go to OSU in Columbus, and I'll pay the tuition"

He whistled for a cab but none were around
he said, oh yeah, that's cause I'm still in ****ing Youngstown
Everyone knows that cabs here are rare
So he bought a plane ticket and flew through the air!

He got his college education in an extra year or two
And that's why he now loves the OSU
He looked at their kingdom, and started to think
"I love the CBJ too, cause of my days at the rink."

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Now this is a story all about how Steeltown Jacket's life got flip turned upside down
All I need is a minute if that's okay, I'll tell you how he became a fan of both OSU and CBJ

Up north there in Youngstown, born and raised, at the ice rink was where he spent most of his days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, playing ice hockey before and after school
When a couple of Goons, I think they played for the Blues
started making trouble whenever they would lose
He got in one little fight and his mom got a premonition
"You're gonna go to OSU in Columbus, and I'll pay the tuition"

He whistled for a cab but none were around
he said, oh yeah, that's cause I'm still in ****ing Youngstown
Everyone knows that cabs here are rare
So he bought a plane ticket and flew through the air!

He got his college education in an extra year or two
And that's why he now loves the OSU
He looked at their kingdom, and started to think
"I love the CBJ too, cause of my days at the rink."

:handclap:

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
LOL.

I am a huge OSU fan... But I am also a huge Columbus Blue Jackets fan. The two are not mutually exclusive. I feel bad for your roommates ignorance.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
OP: Try to go easy on your OSU friend's cultic behavior. It's really a sad disease that inflicts too many Ohioans. In Ohio, grade school students are subjected to indoctrination.

Grade schoolers are expected to dress in OSU garb on Fridays in the Fall. They are ridiculed if they support another college team. However, this form of bullying is acceptable and expected.

Woody Hayes impersonators travel the circuit telling students that if they ever run out of gas in Michigan, they should push their cars to Toledo.

No music student shall be permitted to graduate High School without learning how to perform "Hang-on Sloopy". National signing day is a state holiday. There are only two dates known by these fans, the last time OSU beat Michigan, and the next time they will beat Michigan.

Many of these fans are able to break their affliction by going to college and learning more about the world they live in. Even OSU graduates seem to have more awareness of a greater world than a game that happens once a year in November. However, not everyone has that priviledge and their H.S. degree and Walmart OSU wardrobe help them get through the day.

Your friend sounds like a particularly tough case. Lived in heart of OSU country until age of 18. Born around late 1980's (you mentioned he's about 26 year's old), he's lived through a very, very dark age for Ohio professional sports. The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore when he was 9 or 10. The Cincinnati Bengals only made the playoffs in 1990 when he was a couple years old, then never again until he departed Ohio. The Cleveland Indians had some playoff appearances when he was 8-10 years old, but often lost gloriously (see Marlins 1997), then faded into mediocrity in his teen years. He wouldn't remember the Cincinnati Reds 1990 World Series, and they only made one other playoff appearance in his years as an Ohioan. His life revolves around the one "winner" in his life, the OSU Buckeyes. To be associated with any other sports organization in Ohio is to be perceived as a loser and something he cannot accept.

Buy him a beer the next time you see him and try to cheer him up by asking him about the 1992 game versus Michigan in which a tie became "one of OSU's greatest wins ever".

Last edited:

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
Sounds like an elitist Buckeye fan. I support both passionately. The team has been horrible for most of its existence and that has driven a lot of people away. There was standing room only and a loud as hell building for the only 2 playoff games ever played at Nationwide Arena.

ps. Skyline is a delicious place for those with good taste and a refined palette. Some yokel hicks in towns like Dayton may not enjoy it, though.

From Dayton, where we have many lovely Skyline Chili restaurants, more so than Columbus.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, but... as a dedicated fan of the Buckeyes and the Blue Jackets who loves both and can't stand anyone who pooh-poohs the other, please do me a favor and break your "friend"'s nose for me, kthx. :)

That kind of attitude is why Buckeye fans get such a bad rap.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
OP: Try to go easy on your OSU friend's cultic behavior. It's really a sad disease that inflicts too many Ohioans. In Ohio, grade school students are subjected to indoctrination.

Grade schoolers are expected to dress in OSU garb on Fridays in the Fall. They are ridiculed if they support another college team. However, this form of bullying is acceptable and expected.

Woody Hayes impersonators travel the circuit telling students that if they ever run out of gas in Michigan, they should push their cars to Toledo.

No music student shall be permitted to graduate High School without learning how to perform "Hang-on Sloopy". National signing day is a state holiday. There are only two dates known by these fans, the last time OSU beat Michigan, and the next time they will beat Michigan.

Many of these fans are able to break their affliction by going to college and learning more about the world they live in. Even OSU graduates seem to have more awareness of a greater world than a game that happens once a year in November. However, not everyone has that priviledge and their H.S. degree and Walmart OSU wardrobe help them get through the day.

Your friend sounds like a particularly tough case. Lived in heart of OSU country until age of 18. Born around late 1980's (you mentioned he's about 26 year's old), he's lived through a very, very dark age for Ohio professional sports. The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore when he was 9 or 10. The Cincinnati Bengals only made the playoffs in 1990 when he was a couple years old, then never again until he departed Ohio. The Cleveland Indians had some playoff appearances when he was 8-10 years old, but often lost gloriously (see Marlins 1997), then faded into mediocrity in his teen years. He wouldn't remember the Cincinnati Reds 1990 World Series, and they only made one other playoff appearance in his years as an Ohioan. His life revolves around the one "winner" in his life, the OSU Buckeyes. To be associated with any other sports organization in Ohio is to be perceived as a loser and something he cannot accept.

Buy him a beer the next time you see him and try to cheer him up by asking him about the 1992 game versus Michigan in which a tie became "one of OSU's greatest wins ever".

Man, this is one hell of a post mainly because you've described him practically to a T. When I first met him, I asked him if he liked the Indians, Browns, etc. and he said not really because they always lost. His favorite pro team was the Dallas Cowboys(not so much now since it's not 1994 anymore). He's still pretty bitter about the LeBron to Miami thing, but he very casually likes the Cavs. He's more of a "Lakers" fan and by that I mean he's an extremely casual Lakers fan; actually kind of insecure about it. I remember my other buddy that lives with us made fun of him; called him a fake Lakers fan since he can only name like 3 guys on the team and isn't from LA and he went off for like 10 minutes. It was pretty ****ing hysterical.

Also, my friends and I always make fun of how obsessed he is with the Buckeyes. But to add on to your point in your post, he did leave Ohio at 18 to join the Army and now goes to school here in Long Beach. I don't know, maybe if he had stayed in Ohio, things would be different or maybe things would be worse.

p.s. Back to that Skyline Chili place. What is with those massive plates of, is it fries or pasta that is just buried in shredded cheese? Whatever it is, my mind was blown when I first saw the commercial watching the game last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad