Kings Fan Coming in Peace with a Question

GhostofBoomer

Dec 15, 2007
Columbus, OH
If the Dispatch or one of the TV stations ran a poll asking that very same question, I think we might be disappointed by the results.

P.S. 50/50 would be a disappointment.

Speaking of polls, 610 had a question on their Facebook today: What is bigger? The Ohio State Spring Game or the Blue Jackets' shootout win in Minnesota?

Thankfully most people were saying easily the Jackets, but there were some that were saying the spring game. What kind of question is that? A regular season game for a team in the thick of a playoff hunt vs an intrasquad scrimmage 4 months before football season? :shakehead

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Speaking of polls, 610 had a question on their Facebook today: What is bigger? The Ohio State Spring Game or the Blue Jackets' shootout win in Minnesota?

Thankfully most people were saying easily the Jackets, but there were some that were saying the spring game. What kind of question is that? A regular season game for a team in the thick of a playoff hunt vs an intrasquad scrimmage 4 months before football season? :shakehead

It would help if the CBJ would win a playoff game at least once in this 21st century.... ;)

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio

Take a look at the front of the Dispatch Sports Page for today.

GhostofBoomer

Dec 15, 2007
Columbus, OH
Take a look at the front of the Dispatch Sports Page for today.

That I can at least understand their reasoning. The Dispatch has to please their subscribers. Unfortunately, more Dispatch readers are probably going to be concerned about the spring game, even though it's not important at all. But to ask which one was bigger? The two aren't even in the same atmosphere.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
If we ever win the Cup, this is what you'll hear on 1460 The Fan during afternoon drive-time:

Host: ...and after many rough years the Jackets raise the Stanley Cup. Let's go to the phones. Let's see...Groveport. Stone, you're on 1460 The Fan.

Stone: Ah, yeah, hey, um, thank's for taking--

Host: Can you turn your radio down?

Stone: Hello?

Host: Yeah, Stone. You're on 1460 The Fan.

Stone: Oh! Thanks for takin' my call. I had a question and a comment, um, do you think Urban Meyer's gonna throw the ball a lot? And I just wanted to say that I think Jimmy Football is gonna be our best quarterback in history. He threw for 50 touchdowns at Van Wert High and he's really fast. And Michigan sucks. We are the best program in the nation I think. I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
I'd rather date a Lane Bryant model than Kate Upton. I'm pretty sure that a Lane Bryant model is more likely to say, "I don't feel like leaving the house today. Let's just order pizza and have a couple beers while watching TV in our sweats."

...and then she'll eat all of the pizza only leaving you the beer so that you can swallow your sadness in a sudsy haze or tears and Miller High Life. At least it's the "Champagne of Beers".

...Yes, I know I'm a terrible person,

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I enjoy college athletics, but I will never get the guys who think that college sports are the be all and end all. To turn around the quote from OP's acquaintance, it's like dating a Sears catalogue model instead of Kate Upton. No matter how attractive the Sears model is, she is not in the big leagues and has no chance to get on the cover of the Swimsuit Issue.

Maybe this makes me a Groovy Swinger, but why can't you have both, baby?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Wow, won't try to change your mind on this..

I spent 7 years at OSU. (Only 4 as an undergrad!). I like football. As an undergrad, I went to OSU games. Though from a northern land where Michigan was the most frequent TV team of my youth (and who can resist those snazzy Maize and Blue unis, no?), I got into the spirit and cheered for the Bucks. (Even back then, though, a favorite pasttime of 21-year-old AlienLanes82 was dressing all in black, adorned with black nail polish and foot-long hair, and walking down High Street on Fall Saturday mornings counting how many sneers and rude comments I would get).

Eight years later, I cannot stand the OSU Buckeyes. What drives me up the wall is that I perceive Columbus as an exciting, dynamic, modern, cultured city, with a lot of intelligent people, great events and stores, art, music, sports, etc.. Yet, the most important thing to many people continues to be the bloody OSU Buckeyes, and so the OSU Buckeyes have to take precedence over anything else cool that is going on. It keeps us a one-horse town, in perception, if not reality. I understand why rural states and small towns adore their college football teams - the Oklahoma Sooners are probably the biggest thing in Oklahoma. But I cannot think of a city as large, modern, and with-it as Columbus, that continues to obsess about college football to the exclusion of all else. It drives me nuts!

but have you ever been to San Antonio? Spurs all the way, they ignore college, Seattle Washington, all about the Huskies, they let their NBA team go. Austin TX, is all about the Longhorns. Houston loves the Texans, ignores everything else until recently now they follow TCU & Baylor. Houston let their old Oilers relocate to Nashville. I like the the Jackets & everything OSU.. give me passionate fans any day & all day long..(Joey Galloway reference)

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
The Skyline Chilli commercial guy looks like he could be Letestu's older chubbier brother. Anyone else seeing that?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
but have you ever been to San Antonio? Spurs all the way, they ignore college, Seattle Washington, all about the Huskies, they let their NBA team go. Austin TX, is all about the Longhorns. Houston loves the Texans, ignores everything else until recently now they follow TCU & Baylor. Houston let their old Oilers relocate to Nashville. I like the the Jackets & everything OSU.. give me passionate fans any day & all day long..(Joey Galloway reference)

Speaking only for Seattle, your comment isn't completely fair to them. They support their teams (particularly the Seahawks), but are notorious fair weather fans, in that they will simply find other ways to spend their time and money than on a struggling team. To add to my point, the issue with the NBA wasn't as much to do with the fans not wanting to follow an NBA team, but more to do with a second class facility (Key Arena) in a city of spoiled, high wealth people. We're talking about a city whose baseball stadium is possibly the most technologically advanced sporting facility in the world, and who also has a brand new football stadium right across the street (also with a hefty pricetag).

With a new arena deal in place, the NBA is returning to Seattle. The NHL is also looking seriously into putting a team there, whether or not they admit it. I wouldn't even call the Huskies top draw in the town personally; unless they're UW alum or something - Husky tickets are fairly easy to get. It's just a matter of money with that city.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Been doing business in Seattle for two decades

Speaking only for Seattle, your comment isn't completely fair to them. They support their teams (particularly the Seahawks), but are notorious fair weather fans, in that they will simply find other ways to spend their time and money than on a struggling team. To add to my point, the issue with the NBA wasn't as much to do with the fans not wanting to follow an NBA team, but more to do with a second class facility (Key Arena) in a city of spoiled, high wealth people. We're talking about a city whose baseball stadium is possibly the most technologically advanced sporting facility in the world, and who also has a brand new football stadium right across the street (also with a hefty pricetag).

With a new arena deal in place, the NBA is returning to Seattle. The NHL is also looking seriously into putting a team there, whether or not they admit it. I wouldn't even call the Huskies top draw in the town personally; unless they're UW alum or something - Husky tickets are fairly easy to get. It's just a matter of money with that city.

Husky stadium during the Don James years were sellouts for decades without fail. No big deal, I was just trying to make the case that Columbus has great fans, and supports multiple sports.

Best thing about Safeco is the Pyramid beer, been there many times and the park was pretty empty except against the Yankees. Seattle does like this NFC version of the Seahawks, the old AFC version not so much.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Husky stadium during the Don James years were sellouts for decades without fail. No big deal, I was just trying to make the case that Columbus has great fans, and supports multiple sports.

Best thing about Safeco is the Pyramid beer, been there many times and the park was pretty empty except against the Yankees. Seattle does like this NFC version of the Seahawks, the old AFC version not so much.

The setting for an evening game in the summer at Safeco is amazing. I've been to many MLB parks, and I would put it well above the rest personally. Wasn't trying to step on your toes either, just wanted to make a case that Seattle isn't a horrible market as a whole ... there are just so many other entertainment options there that, if the team isn't any good, they get overlooked easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->