Kings Fan Coming in Peace with a Question

Kutter

Jan 27, 2008
Dublin
I've lived in Columbus about 9 years now. There is no question that the city having an NHL team was a big part in my decision to move here. I enjoy college sports, but for me the NHL franchise is the draw. Nine years later, hockey is still #1 for me and the hiring of JD only reaffirms this.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The best way to eat Skyline Chili can be had at Nationwide Arena, but NOT AVAILABLE at their restaurants. Skyline Chili Cheese NACHOS! yum

Although I don't like them, they really SHOULD have White Castle sliders at the Arena.

Ugh.... diarrhea, hence sliders… ;)

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Quoting the OP to hopefully get his attention...

...here's the ultimate conceited OSU fan belittling the CBJ moment. This is the Keith B. Whittington Incident:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...eed-to-work-through-their-Blue-?urn=nhl,96370

Not all Buckeye fans are bad. Not all CBJ fans are bad. But there are no doubt some bad CBJ fans just as there are hordes of OSU fans. I'm a fan of both, but the CBJ will always come first.

Yeah, that whole Whittington incident just sounds like a complete disaster. If I were you guys, I would have been pissed too. Of course, I would have responded with as much smark as you guys did too, so well done there. :handclap:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
What I find interesting is that the vast majority of Buckeye fans that I know (and I know a lot having worked at OSU over 20 years, first full, then part-time) think that the Dispatch coverage is way over the top. I would bet that the reason it is is that it still sells newspapers, and that is what it is all about.

When the Jackets are good enough for the Dispatch to feel that more coverage will sell more papers, then they will get more coverage. Until then, it is Buckeye football coverage ad nauseum.

Check out the first page of the sports section today. What do you think got top billing? A big Jackets win in a play-off race, or a ****ing OSU spring scrimmage?

Last edited:

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Some people in this city have that "one stop light" mentality about Columbus, that it should be just like the majority of the Big Ten towns and be the Quintesstial "College Town", where the biggest thing and the the only reason the town is there, is the local university.

Then you have the people that have grown so absolutely tired of having everthing Buckeye shoved down their throats that they have actively been recruited into hating tOSU.

A majority of fans though exist in the middle, whereis they can support multiple teams, even if the Buckeyes remain their favorites. I am both a Buckeye and Jacket fan, and rooting for both has nothing to do with my lack of faith to the other. I'm also a Bengals and a Reds (fairweather) fan.

Basically, this town is moving forward, its a huge city and is getting bigger and there is a fraction of population that doesnt like seeing it happen.

And Skyline is absolutely delicious.

Last edited:

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
It is funny to me how fans get territorial over their teams. For Keith Whittington to get chaffed over coverage, of a different sport, in the local paper was the greatest. Talk about not wanting to branch out. Expand your horizons, there is a great big world out there. Ice Hockey, even tOSU has a team.

Woody (someone Keith may know of) asked Harry Neale, Woody's strength coach who took over as head coach of OSU Hockey in 1966, to coach some of his football players, just to not let them break their legs. Jack Tatum was one of them.

As a kid growing up in Columbus, I was able to attend many OSU hockey games, and was even a stickboy in the mid seventies. That was a perk of some of my CAHA coaches being tight with OSU hockey.

I also am a fan of OSU football, and basketball, Bengals and Reds.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Some people in this city have that "one stop light" mentality about Columbus, that it should be just like the majority of the Big Ten towns and be the Quintesstial "College Town", where the biggest thing and the the only reason the town is there, is the local university.

Then you have the people that have grown so absolutely tired of having everthing Buckeye shoved down their throats that they have actively been recruited into hating tOSU.

A majority of fans though exist in the middle, whereis they can support multiple teams, even if the Buckeyes remain their favorites. I am both a Buckeye and Jacket fan, and rooting for both has nothing to do with my lack of faith to the other. I'm also a Bengals and a Reds (fairweather) fan.

Basically, this town is moving forward, its a huge city and is getting bigger and there is a fraction of population that doesnt like seeing it happen.

And Skyline is absolutely delicious.

I was with you until that last line, KBW!

I've been a Buckeye fan since the days of Hop Cassiday and spent eight years getting an undergrad degree from there (it was the sixties and there was too much fun to be had!). OSU fans are among the most obnoxious in the country, in part because there are so many of them. It is, after all, one of the largest alumni associations! Don't think they are alone, though, Bama, ND, Miami, etc. all have legions of obnoxious fans. All the big football schools, in fact, have fans loathed by portions of the country!

Even though I'm aware of how the Bucks are perceived, I remain a staunch fan. That doesn't alter the fact that I am also a die-hard, day one, STH, Jackets fan. Big games in the Shoe are among the greatest sporting events in the world, but the single most exciting, electric, intense event I've ever attended remains Game 4 against Detroit in Nationwide Arena!

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I was with you until that last line, KBW!

I've been a Buckeye fan since the days of Hop Cassiday and spent eight years getting an undergrad degree from there (it was the sixties and there was too much fun to be had!). OSU fans are among the most obnoxious in the country, in part because there are so many of them. It is, after all, one of the largest alumni associations! Don't think they are alone, though, Bama, ND, Miami, etc. all have legions of obnoxious fans. All the big football schools, in fact, have fans loathed by portions of the country!

Even though I'm aware of how the Bucks are perceived, I remain a staunch fan. That doesn't alter the fact that I am also a die-hard, day one, STH, Jackets fan. Big games in the Shoe are among the greatest sporting events in the world, but the single most exciting, electric, intense event I've ever attended remains Game 4 against Detroit in Nationwide Arena!

Agree whole heartedly. When OSU plays Michigan with an 8:00 PM start ranked #1 and #2 nationally, it doesn't get any better. Also game 4 was the most exciting hockey game ever attended.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
I can eat Cincinnati chili, but really with so many other great restaurants in Columbus why visit Skyline?

When people come to Columbus, the one place I make sure to take them is Jeni's.

Paisano*

<<<<had skyline today<<<

Last edited by a moderator:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I can eat Cincinnati chili, but really with so many other great restaurants in Columbus why visit Skyline?

And yet everyone I take there for a quick lunch when they come into town always want to go back. I like it, not as much as I did (their menu is far more limited to me know). Never underestimate the taste buds of the average American. For some reason good food seems wasted on most Americas, evidenced by the number of people that eat crap like O'Charlies, Quaker Steak and Lube, TGI Friday's, Appleby's, etc.

Hmm....Jeni's you say. This is relevant to my interests, so please, go on.

Grass-Fed ice cream. Very rich and the best ice cream I've had by a mile. I don't even like most other ice cream now because of it. Graeter's seems average now, by comparison.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
My current moniker was born of the real Mr. Whittington's ignorance. I am not really him. :laugh:

Obviously. A good, upstanding Columbus resident like the Mr. Whittington wouldn't spend his time posting on a message board talking about a bunch of foreigners with unpronounceable names like Johnson, Atkinson, or Boll. We all know a real Ohioan wants to talk about just how Braxton Miller is dealing with his hangover from last nights frat party while chowing down at Skyline Chili. ;)

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Game was actually a 3:30 Start :D

Prove it, that game was played under the lights

Ohio State does not play home night games in November. It was under the lights because it gets dark early that time of year.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=263220194

2gtwz831.gif

Grass-Fed ice cream. Very rich and the best ice cream I've had by a mile. I don't even like most other ice cream now because of it. Graeter's seems average now, by comparison.

I feel shame being a lifelong Columbus resident and having never tried Jeni's. If we ever want to go out for ice cream, it's always been Graeter's.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
I enjoy college athletics, but I will never get the guys who think that college sports are the be all and end all. To turn around the quote from OP's acquaintance, it's like dating a Sears catalogue model instead of Kate Upton. No matter how attractive the Sears model is, she is not in the big leagues and has no chance to get on the cover of the Swimsuit Issue.

Stanley Cup>National Championship.

It's that simple.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I enjoy college athletics, but I will never get the guys who think that college sports are the be all and end all. To turn around the quote from OP's acquaintance, it's like dating a Sears catalogue model instead of Kate Upton. No matter how attractive the Sears model is, she is not in the big leagues and has no chance to get on the cover of the Swimsuit Issue.

Stanley Cup>National Championship.

It's that simple.

I'd rather date a Lane Bryant model than Kate Upton. I'm pretty sure that a Lane Bryant model is more likely to say, "I don't feel like leaving the house today. Let's just order pizza and have a couple beers while watching TV in our sweats."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad