Kings Fan Coming in Peace with a Question

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Hey there Blue Jackets fans, I come here to your side of HF Boards with a question about the what it's like to be a Jackets fan in Columbus.

Basically, I live with a guy originally from Columbus who is not a hockey fan at all. He's in fact one of those obsessive Ohio State football fans. On Tuesday, he was watching the Kings/Stars game with me and the Jackets came up in conversation. I told him how they were doing and mentioned that I hoped that they made the playoffs because you guys have been suffering long enough.

He then proceeds to say that he doesn't feel sorry for you guys because anybody that follows the Jackets instead of Ohio State is an idiot; that no one is a "die-hard" Jackets fan. He then proceeded to make the comparison that being an a Buckeyes fan is like dating Kate Upton while being a dedicated Jackets fan would be like dating some grubby chump instead.

Now I understand that in C-Bus, the Buckeye, are and forever will be number 1, but is he wrong? How is the attitude about the team changing in the city since it seems you guys are turning the corner and are looking like a force to be reckoned with in the years to come. Is this attitude typical of yoru average Columbus sports fan.

Granted he says this having not lived in Columbus for more than a few months since he was 18 and that was about 8 years ago. He goes back for holidays and breaks; recently went back for medical reasons, but he hasn't lived back long enough to see any significant changes.

Anyways, sorry for making this so long and thanks for your input.

p.s. Good job killing the Blues tonight. The team looked real damn good.

p.p.s That Skyline Chili restaurant looks real good.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
There are some local fans who don't care for the Buckeyes and some that don't care for CBJ...

In the end, being a NHL hockey fan in general, lived in Columbus for 20 years and having two kids that I put trough The OSU I like both the Bucks and Jackets...

There is no reason to not root and support both if one has connections to each...

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
There are some local fans who don't care for the Buckeyes and some that don't care for CBJ...

In the end, being a NHL hockey fan in general, lived in Columbus for 20 years and having two kids that I put trough The OSU I like both the Bucks and Jackets...

There is no reason to not root and support both if one has connections to each...

See, that's what I told him but he said that's B.S.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Your friend sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about.

I guess its one more reason for me to dislike those 'diehard OSU fans'. I'm sure everyone here knows what kind of fans I'm talking about. Nobody here is one, I know that. :laugh:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm a Columbus fan. I root for ALL our teams: CBJ, Crew, Clippers (minor league baseball) and Ohio State (except when they're playing Ohio University)

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
See, that's what I told him but he said that's B.S.

Perhaps he hates NHL hockey? If he likes NHL hockey and is a product of Columbus Ohio then read what Skimp said... To be honest, liking the Jackets or not should not have anything to do with The Ohio State University...

When the Jackets begin to be a SC contender he will change his tune...

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
There are some stupid, singleminded individuals who think that any time spent on another team is time taken away from their beloved (insert team here).

Many people would rather see the Blue Jackets leave and have 100% of the sports attention in Columbus devoted to the Buckeyes. What is even weirder is that many of those fans aren't or have never been students at Ohio State.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Your friend sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about.

I guess its one more reason for me to dislike those 'diehard OSU fans'. I'm sure everyone here knows what kind of fans I'm talking about. Nobody here is one, I know that. :laugh:

Yeah, that whole conversation was kinda pissing me off. I wanted to say something, but I've obviously never lived in Columbus, much less visited so I felt like my input on the matter might have been inaccurate.

He's one of those 'murica and FOOOOOOTTTTTTTBAAAAALLLLLLL mid-western guys. How he ended up a close friend of a hispanic guy from LA whose favorite sport is hockey is beyond me.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Sounds like an elitist Buckeye fan. I support both passionately. The team has been horrible for most of its existence and that has driven a lot of people away. There was standing room only and a loud as hell building for the only 2 playoff games ever played at Nationwide Arena.

ps. Skyline is a delicious place for those with good taste and a refined palette. Some yokel hicks in towns like Dayton may not enjoy it, though.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Your friend has no idea what he's talking about. City is buzzing with CBJ hockey. Plenty of die-hards. Guarantee if we start getting good your friend will convert.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Columbus Sports Talk radio is 99% dedicated to OSU. Some people can't handle it when that 1% comes on the radio, and they have to hear about hockey instead of listening to what the latest high schooler to commit OSU had for breakfast.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Perhaps he hates NHL hockey? If he likes NHL hockey and is a product of Columbus Ohio then read what Skimp said... To be honest, liking the Jackets or not should not have anyhing to do with The Ohio State University...

No, he just hates hockey in general. See my above post as to why.

To be fair though, my friend is kinda a weirdo in general. I mean the guy washes like two shirts with the "High" water setting on the washing machine and then proceeds to dry those two shirts in the dryer for what seems like an eternity.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
I'm in no way a CBJ fan but I just had to comment. Your friend is just an idiot, no offence. There are die-hard fans everywhere, even places like Phoenix. Sports fans like him are just annoying, they have to bash another sport just because they don't like it. I don't like Baseball nor do I like Basketball I still appreciate what they're capable of doing. And that Kate Upton comment is just ridiculous, does he know what an opinion is?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
No, he just hates hockey in general. See my above post as to why.

To be fair though, my friend is kinda a weirdo in general. I mean the guy washes like two shirts with the "High" water setting on the washing machine and then proceeds to dry those two shirts in the dryer for what seems like an eternity.

Tell him Jared Boll is reading this and wants to give him an ice hockey skating lesson... oh, get a new friend too.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Columbus Sports Talk radio is 99% dedicated to OSU. Some people can't handle it when that 1% comes on the radio, and they have to hear about hockey instead of listening to what the latest high schooler to commit OSU had for breakfast.

Yeah, that the situation out here in LA as well. It's nothing but Lakers and nowadays Clippers talk non-stop during the winter months and Dodgers/Angels with more Lakers/Clippers in the summer. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Lakers and Angels fan but I hate that they just keep talking about the same things over and over for hours or even days.

Dednimnepo

Winning is the Fun
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus
I moved to Columbus over 15 years ago. Prior to that I lived in a few different big college sports towns. I have no favorite college team and only follow the indentured servitude league in passing. The positive fans are about the same as any other team I've known but the negative fans, those black-hearted Buckeyes that hate all that is not toe-sue, they are something else. I don't know why they are so prevalent in this market, probably bleed over from Pittsburgh. Back when I moved here I used to wear a blue shirt with a yellow tie just to see how many disparaging remarks I could get in a business day. I once got 8 on a Tuesday in June, absolute silliness.

Your roommate sounds like a black-hearted tOSU fan. Paint the walls blue with yellow trim, he'll probably implode.

Disclaimer: I am not anti - Buckeye. I am anti stupid. The strongest teams correct the errors of their worst members, not give them a pass as they fail. That statement works for hockey as well. GO BLUEJACKETS.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
Tell him Jared Boll is reading this and wants to give him an ice hockey skating lesson... oh, get a new friend too.

I would, but he'd just ignore me since he has no idea who Jared Boll is.

I think most of his hate comes from the fact that the Jackets haven't been winners year-in and year-out like the Buckeyes. I think he may just be a front-runner. He's somewhat of a casual Lakers fan as well.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
Sounds like an elitist Buckeye fan. I support both passionately. The team has been horrible for most of its existence and that has driven a lot of people away. There was standing room only and a loud as hell building for the only 2 playoff games ever played at Nationwide Arena.

ps. Skyline is a delicious place for those with good taste and a refined palette. Some yokel hicks in towns like Dayton may not enjoy it, though.

Skyline is poison!

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I grew up in Columbus, enjoying Ohio State football and Columbus Chill hockey. I moved away in 2003, and consider myself a big fan of both, to this day. In fact, moving away has helped me enjoy OSU football even more, because I don't have it crammed down my throat 24 hours a day.

Interesting story: I went to LA a few years back, and while sitting down at a restaurant (and sporting my CBJ cap), the waiter was excited to see my hat, because he was also a displaced Central Ohio native. This gentleman (wiser than your friend, clearly) liked the Blue Jackets, but wasn't a huge fan of Ohio State football. He didn't put the Buckeyes down, he just shared a sentiment that I once had, that he was tired of hearing about them all the time.

I agree with the notion that perhaps hockey just isn't your friend's thing. Either that, or he is a complete idiot, also as mentioned above.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
I moved to Columbus over 15 years ago. Prior to that I lived in a few different big college sports towns. I have no favorite college team and only follow the indentured servitude league in passing. The positive fans are about the same as any other team I've known but the negative fans, those black-hearted Buckeyes that hate all that is not toe-sue, they are something else. I don't know why they are so prevalent in this market, probably bleed over from Pittsburgh. Back when I moved here I used to wear a blue shirt with a yellow tie just to see how many disparaging remarks I could get in a business day. I once got 8 on a Tuesday in June, absolute silliness.

Your roommate sounds like a black-hearted tOSU fan. Paint the walls blue with yellow trim, he'll probably implode.

Disclaimer: I am not anti - Buckeye. I am anti stupid. The strongest teams correct the errors of their worst members, not give them a pass as they fail. That statement works for hockey as well. GO BLUEJACKETS.

When my other buddies and I were watching the NCAA championship game on Monday, he went on a bit of a rant on the other Big 10 schools. The funniest one to me was when he was making fun of Purdue because their mascot was a train. I wanted to answer back that the Buckeyes are named after a plant. I didn't though because I didn't want to piss him off.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
When my other buddies and I were watching the NCAA championship game on Monday, he went on a bit of a rant on the other Big 10 schools. The funniest one to me was when he was making fun of Purdue because their mascot was a train. I wanted to answer back that the Buckeyes are named after a plant. I didn't though because I didn't want to piss him off.

Well, specifically a tree... Tell him he is a nutt.... he will understand. I think we have answered your OP question...

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I graduated Ohio State years ago but that doesn't hinder me being a huge Jackets fan. I remember my father saying Ohio State hindered pro teams from coming to Columbus, I always thought he was wrong but living away from Columbus changed my viewpoint.

With that being said I believe you can be a fan of both. However the local media rides heavy on the Buckeye jock.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Your friend is an idiot.

Pretty much this.

I graduated from OSU. I was in the *band* for goodness sakes, many ramps, scripts, sloopy at the end of the 3rd quarter. Lived and breathed it for many moons. In fact, I'm still closely associated with the university.

As passionate as I was, and to some degree, still am, about football, something changed when the NHL finally came to Columbus and over the years, I've become more interested in the Blue Jackets than OSU.

That oughta give him an aneurysm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->