Confirmed with Link: Kings announce signing kovalchuk to 3 year contract.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Why would you teach unless you absolutely love it and the kids? You get crap pay, crap bureaucracy. Most people who would've taught in the past now choose other more lucrative jobs.

Low pay=less quality most of the time. I don't understand the romanticism.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I've never been a teacher, but I love training, which is a poor man's version of teaching. It's "easy teaching."

People like to make a positive impact on the community. Some people were inspired to do great things by their favorite teacher. I still remember my favorite teacher all-time. I actually remember a lot of my teachers and have great memories of them.

There are people who don't care about the money and instead value the societal need for education. It's kind of important. But frankly they should get paid more.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was a teacher for over a decade. Did it for fulfillment and love of the kids. Especially here in CA, so many grow up without stable influences in their lives, it's an emotional job. When I was young and single I was able to do it with less pay and long, hard hours--it's a lifestyle. Especially as an English teacher--sooooo much reading and grading. But with a family and especially a kid, I had to move on to as @Reaper45 said something more lucrative with schedule flexibility and less people looking over my shoulder. Now, I can't believe how easy life is, I'm making literally twice as much after being in business for a year while working 2/3 of the hours on my own schedule.

It's not overromanticized, it's legitimately a f***ing tough profession mentally, physically, and emotionally, and they're (the good ones, anyway--there were plenty that were ok with just collecting a paycheck unfortunately) not compensated well enough for the importance of the role versus the bureaucratic bullshit year after year.

...Kovalchuk won't have to worry about any of this btw ;)

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Wont sway you if that's what you think. Yes there are low quality teachers out there but the amount of effort and money spent to just become a teacher and get that crap pay should tell you all you need to know about the romanticism.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I was a teacher for over a decade. Did it for fulfillment and love of the kids. Especially here in CA, so many grow up without stable influences in their lives, it's an emotional job. When I was young and single I was able to do it with less pay and long, hard hours--it's a lifestyle. Especially as an English teacher--sooooo much reading and grading. But with a family and especially a kid, I had to move on to as @Reaper45 said something more lucrative with schedule flexibility and less people looking over my shoulder. Now, I can't believe how easy life is, I'm making literally twice as much after being in business for a year while working 2/3 of the hours on my own schedule.

It's not overromanticized, it's legitimately a ****ing tough profession mentally, physically, and emotionally, and they're (the good ones, anyway--there were plenty that were ok with just collecting a paycheck unfortunately) not compensated well enough for the importance of the role versus the bureaucratic bull**** year after year.

...Kovalchuk won't have to worry about any of this btw ;)

Ive had a few really great teachers that were genuinely amazing people. Especially in college. I'm not saying teachers are all awful, I've just seen a lot of really bad ones here around LA / Burbank who are more interested in their paycheck than actually Teaching. Out of every 5 teachers I could say easily that two of them would care.

I've seen far too many teachers who are reliant on the course books to do the teaching than themselves. And have absolutely have no idea how to control classrooms.

Didn't mean to derail, but yeah Im not overly fond of the teachers here in so-Cal.

I do think that college teachers are better. Seen a lot of passionate teachers in college.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Wont sway you if that's what you think. Yes there are low quality teachers out there but the amount of effort and money spent to just become a teacher and get that crap pay should tell you all you need to know about the romanticism.

Don't know about the money it takes tbh so I can't comment. I've just been to a lot of schools since I've been with a very big community. You won't believe the shit that teachers do there and the stuff I've seen personally. It's gotten worse. You do get what you paid for though.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I made more money as a CPA working in Orange County but my quality of life skyrocketed when I moved to Mammoth and became a snowboard instructor.

I can certainly say for myself there is much more to life than money. I didn't realize so many here felt differently, but then again there's another reason why I left socal.

I chase pow in the winter, fish in the summer.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I made more money as a CPA working in Orange County but my quality of life skyrocketed when I moved to Mammoth and became a snowboard instructor.

I can certainly say for myself there is much more to life than money. I didn't realize so many here felt differently, but then again there's another reason why I left socal.

I chase pow in the winter, fish in the summer.

Well people have families and need money to support them. They take what they can get. It's not hard to understand. It's not always about desire, it's necessity. Tbh. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Well people have families and need money to support them. They take what they can get. It's not hard to understand. It's not always about desire, it's necessity. Tbh. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

I get people have families.

But you can have enough to live in a nice place, drive a cool car, and send your kids to college without walking out on a signed contract worth many millions of dollars because you think you can squeeze out a couple more elsewhere.

I'm not asking any of you to boycott this player or Blake for signing him, just please stop rationalizing major character flaws by claiming all the players are just about the money because I truly believe most of these guys have integrity.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Star left wing Ilya Kovalchuk, who is returning to the NHL with the Los angeles Kings this season, spoke with the media today for the first time since he signed with the Kings on July 1. But his time with the media almost didn’t happen. Fortunately, it did, and here’s what he said...
Ilya Kovalchuk Meets The LA Kings Media…But Almost Didn’t

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What if the moon were made of cheese? Would you eat it?

giphy.gif

Reactions: King Trouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad