King Karlsson - The Captain and The Playoff Warrior

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I hate Edmonton but imagine if he signed there. Oilers would make the finals every year.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
True but EK has shown from his interviews and on ice that he's VERY competitive. :laugh: he definitely wants to win. Hopefully for EK it's Stanley Cup > Loyalty.

If Chabot and White pan out like they are expected to, Ottawa is likely better next year. The year after they'd be wise to go "all in" which could mean yet another upgrade.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I wouldnt go that far. The sens got some really good players. Stone. Hoffman. Ryan. Anderson. It's not like they are bereft of any talent.

They just need to plug some holes.

They're all really solid players, but it's probably healthy to sacrifice some depth for another true gamebreaker if you're Ottawa. Look at most other big stars:

Crosby - Malkin
McDavid - Draisaitl
Benn - Seguin
Doughty - Kopitar
Marchand - Bergeon
Backstrom - Ovechkin
Kane - Toews
Matthews - Marner/Nylander
etc

Ottawa as a team would probably benefit from not putting so much weight on one single guy, both directly on the ice and mentally outside it. If they could get Karlsson a Tavares (or slightly lower) tier sidekick, they would become more dynamic as a whole.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
If Chabot and White pan out like they are expected to, Ottawa is likely better next year. The year after they'd be wise to go "all in" which could mean yet another upgrade.

May not be as easy as it sounds with Turris, Ceci, Stone and Anderson needing new deals the year after.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
there's absolutely no credibility behind this...

it's like saying Montreal's problem is in the net. Ottawa gave the best series to ¨Pittsburgh so far and Anderson was the reason why.

Lol. Anderson is a veteran of the game but despite being at this venerable stage of his career, his technique doesn't even match that of many NHL rookies. Anderson is on his way to retirement with subpar fundamentals. His position, technique, stance... everything is flawed and well below NHL standards. I'm talking about basic things like covering your posts adequately.

He certainly has some talent, instincts and he's a real competitor. But not nearly enough to compensate for his technique and also, not often enough, because he's really the hot and cold type, capable of highlight reel stops but also stinkers. This explains why he's been at best a plan-B type of goalie most of his careers, when he wasn't just discarded.

I don't hate him or anything. We were rooting for him in our household and are disappointed the Sens lost. I'm also not saying he is the only reason the Senators lost. But the Sens would be in a lot better position if they had a consistent, technically sound goalie and for now, they have covered Anderson's inadequacies by implementing one of the most successful collective defensive system in recent years.

I think Anderson finishes his career as an amazing #2 on a contender and wins a cup. But he doesn't cut it as a #1. Not enough to carry a team to a Stanley Cup unless it's loaded with talent.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I agree. Anderson has unreal anticipation but his technicals are weak. Just watch how he handles wrap arounds.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Lol. Anderson is a veteran of the game but despite being at this venerable stage of his career, his technique doesn't even match that of many NHL rookies. Anderson is on his way to retirement with subpar fundamentals. His position, technique, stance... everything is flawed and well below NHL standards. I'm talking about basic things like covering your posts adequately.

He certainly has some talent, instincts and he's a real competitor. But not nearly enough to compensate for his technique and also, not often enough, because he's really the hot and cold type, capable of highlight reel stops but also stinkers. This explains why he's been at best a plan-B type of goalie most of his careers, when he wasn't just discarded.

I don't hate him or anything. We were rooting for him in our household and are disappointed the Sens lost. I'm also not saying he is the only reason the Senators lost. But the Sens would be in a lot better position if they had a consistent, technically sound goalie and for now, they have covered Anderson's inadequacies by implementing one of the most successful collective defensive system in recent years.

I think Anderson finishes his career as an amazing #2 on a contender and wins a cup. But he doesn't cut it as a #1. Not enough to carry a team to a Stanley Cup unless it's loaded with talent.

If only Ottawa had someone elite like ..... Ben Bishop.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Why didn't SJ win the Cup THIS year after being so close last year? Last year is in the past and has zero bearing on what will happen next year or 2 years from now. There's a reason what the Pens have done hasn't been replicated in about 10 yrs (back to back Finals appearances)

Do you think playing EK so much is sustainable?
What about having a negative overall goal differential?
Will players keep buying into a system that is the anti-thesis of the aggressive sport that is hockey? Easy to commit to something for a portion of the year when the playoffs are a possibility.
Anderson is what, 37? Do you think he can repeat the success he's had?

This was a team that was overall very average and they came into the playoffs playing very well. Nothing wrong with that- the Kings were the 8th seed in 2012. But there are some underlying issues with this team that you can't say "yup this team is a lock to win 2 rounds"

I'll just repeat: If Ottawa got so close this year, why can't they do it next year?

I have never said it's going to happen, or that it's even likely to happen. The timing for comments like "The sens won't win anything unless they spend to the cap" just seems very off after last nights game. One fortunate bounce for the sens in OT and we wouldn't have this discussion, lucky bounces can happen to every team, even to those who don't spend to the cap.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Anderson certainly has his technical flaws but I find my self shaking my head at the the suggestion that he doesn't cut it as a #1. He's been an above average starter from the day he became a starting goaltender, the results speak for themselves. Also the system did not cover up Anderson's inadequacies, certainly didn't hurt him but he has performed well playing in front of offensively minded teams as well.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
While I agree that Other players have done well, all you need to do is look at the With Karlsson VS Without Karlsson to see that he really is THE guy.

I mean,

Ottawa: 47GF 50GA
Karlsson ON: 32GF 16 GA
Karlsson OFF: 15 GF 34 GA

Also on the ice for 10/11 GWG.

Plus all the advanced stats that Micklebot put about.

I mean the team is twice as good when he's on. Credit to the forwards who scored, but they barely score without Karlsson. If you can't see that without Karlsson this team probably doesn't sniff at the playoffs, or winning a round... I don't know what to say.

Is it that black & white though? I mean the best d-men plays with the best offensive lines and the worst d-men plays more with the worst offensive lines. At least for the most part and that has an impacted their stats. As it does with other teams as well. In the end, the Senators depth isn't the best and they as you said lack true point producers. Hopefully they will add strength to their team and not just keep being a "maybe team".

Someone further up said they need to add a Tavares type or similar player. Well, I think they need to add at least one player like that, but even to add two more impact players who make a difference on a line. Karlsson is NEVER going to carry the Senators to a cup. Not because he isn't good, but a defense-man will never make that without impact-full forwards who score points on the board. Leetch is probably the last who sort of did it, but even him had a strong forward group. Pronger almost made it with Edmonton, but that forward group as a whole were better than the Senators.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
pretty likely. one player doesn't win championships on their own no matter who that player is.
the senators as a team are light years away from contending.

They were literally one goal away from the finals last night

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is it that black & white though? I mean the best d-men plays with the best offensive lines and the worst d-men plays more with the worst offensive lines. At least for the most part and that has an impacted their stats. As it does with other teams as well. In the end, the Senators depth isn't the best and they as you said lack true point producers. Hopefully they will add strength to their team and not just keep being a "maybe team".

Someone further up said they need to add a Tavares type or similar player. Well, I think they need to add at least one player like that, but even to add two more impact players who make a difference on a line. Karlsson is NEVER going to carry the Senators to a cup. Not because he isn't good, but a defense-man will never make that without impact-full forwards who score points on the board. Leetch is probably the last who sort of did it, but even him had a strong forward group. Pronger almost made it with Edmonton, but that forward group as a whole were better than the Senators.

wth... Leetch had Zubov, Messier and sophomore Kovalev, hardly on an island by himself. I'm probably forgeting some guys too, that was a presidents trophy winning team.

No single player, regardless of position, aside from maybe goalie, can win by himself. But Dmen can certainly be the driving force behind teams.

With regards to Ottawa adding a guy like Tavares, that would go a long way, but they also need a stud #2 D, which hopefully Chabot will become. Ottawa has a roster full of very good support forwards and D, but only one Key piece

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
They were literally one goal away from the finals last night

smoke and mirrors. this year's playoffs has several teams vastly overperforming, and an honestly insane amount of injury to major players.

the sens were lucky to go as far as they did, a lot of things had to fall just right. chances it happens again, not very high. contending and lucking into a finals berth are two different things.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

Apologise if this has been posted. If people think this guy is just another talking head or whatever, I really don't care. Just one more person waking up to the reality where Erik Karlsson exists.

amethyst

#10 Forever
Mar 15, 2013
I hate Edmonton but imagine if he signed there. Oilers would make the finals every year.

Or the Leafs. Just kidding.

but I don't think Edmonton would want Karlsson.... they already have Klefbom. ;)

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
smoke and mirrors. this year's playoffs has several teams vastly overperforming, and an honestly insane amount of injury to major players.

the sens were lucky to go as far as they did, a lot of things had to fall just right. chances it happens again, not very high. contending and lucking into a finals berth are two different things.

I think the Sharks had a lot more to give than what they showed. Injuries are really unfair some times.
But depth and how you build your team has to factor in injuries to key players. Ottawa without Karlsson wouldn't go very far. The Pens can win a cup without Sid in the finals.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
wth... Leetch had Zubov, Messier and sophomore Kovalev, hardly on an island by himself. I'm probably forgeting some guys too, that was a presidents trophy winning team.

No single player, regardless of position, aside from maybe goalie, can win by himself. But Dmen can certainly be the driving force behind teams.

With regards to Ottawa adding a guy like Tavares, that would go a long way, but they also need a stud #2 D, which hopefully Chabot will become. Ottawa has a roster full of very good support forwards and D, but only one Key piece

Yeah, Chabot could make a huge difference if he develops as he can. Sens' forwards chip and chase and win pucks back to the point, but Karlsson is the only one who can develop offence back there. Having Chabot on the second pairing could generate a lot more scoring chances rather than Ceci or Boro just dumping it back to the corner boards.

I don't buy it. Luck alone doesn't get you that far.

The only lucky draw the Sens had was a Bruins team with a depleted blue-line. The supposedly far superior Rangers were healthy. Pittsburgh is missing Letang, yes, but then Karlsson is on one leg, Ceci, Brassard, and who knows how many other players were injured on the Sens, etc.

I'm not saying the Sens are guaranteed to be back there next year, but honestly, nobody knows. We're both entitled to our opinions though.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Dude.... Anderson was awesome. I don't know how you could watch that series and say anything else. What a bizarre opinion.

He was literally the reason the series went 7 games and the reason the Pens offense looked anemic. The more I think about what you said, the less it makes any sense whatsoever. I'm not even an Ottawa fan and I'm fired up at it. :laugh:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Man did the senators ever make you look stupid this year eh. Rode the good luck drain October 13th all the the way to May 25th. Or at least that's your explanation. Nothing like chalking luck up to something you can't explain.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: